Brimah..... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brimah.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of you dudes are thick as concrete. He had shoulder surgery as has been explained over and over again.

Reaction Score
Some of you dudes are thick as concrete. He had shoulder surgery as has been explained over and over again.

Yeah but we were told early and often he worked hard on his offense. I get that he lost a summer and that's great. But have you seen improvement on offense from game one this year besides alley oops? I am also not denying it will take time, I am just pointing it out that it needs to be better. And some day it will, maybe not this year.

So in that case I'm not sure who is the concrete.;)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah but we were told early and often he worked hard on his offense. I get that he lost a summer and that's great. But have you seen improvement on offense from game one this year besides alley oops? I am also not denying it will take time, I am just pointing it out that it needs to be better. And some day it will, maybe not this year.

I've seen an improvement. I can't remember him hitting one twelve-footer last year and he's doing it with regularity right now. He's still got a long way to go, but he's more polished than he was last year.

Reaction Score
AB just has to get stronger to be effective in the post. As soon as he gets double teamed or someone bodies him on defense he loses the ball. He just isn't strong enough to be a real effective post player this year. What he can do though is learning to make fast decisions (jump hook, jump shot or pass out to someone else open) as he has been getting better position down low. If the staff works on his basketball intuition of reacting fast and making smart decisions he can at least be decent for the rest of this year. Unfortunately right now it still seems like he is holding a live grenade when he gets the ball in the post. I'm glad his rebounding is improving and this seems to be directly related to getting better position down low. So part of his game is coming around besides his game changing D.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
But have you seen improvement on offense from game one this year besides alley oops?

Yes. He made 1.5 FG a game last year (64 in 40 games) and this year he's making over 4 per game (76 in 18 games). It's not all lobs. He's made jump hooks with both hands and face up jumpers out to 18 feet - things he didn't do last year.

Although the lefty jump hook seems like it's gone back to the storage bin for now, he hasn't tried one of those in a while - which has made it easier to play him for the right hand. And when he goes to the righty hook and gets a body bump low (no foul - just standard low post body contact), his form collapses and the ball often doesn't get to the rim. This offseason needs to involve a lot of repetition to iron down his form - and also a lot of folks pushing him around with those football padded blocking devices as he shoots so he can shoot through contact. But he's already taken the first step of making shots in game situations and actually being in the scouting report.

Reaction Score

The bottom line is we're getting 10 points per game from a sophomore center who was not even a top-150 recruit.

And I get that he scores an awful lot of points on lobs, but if it were so easy why don't our other bigs do the same thing? For that matter, why hasn't anybody since Drummond (and that includes freshman year Amida Brimah) been able to do that as effectively as Brimah does now?

Reaction Score
If a week at a big man camp in the summer proves so beneficial, why is it that we do not have a legitimate big man coach? Not being argumentative or trying to dredge up a name from the past, but the front line development doesn't seem to be happening.

Reaction Score
If a week at a big man camp in the summer proves so beneficial, why is it that we do not have a legitimate big man coach? Not being argumentative or trying to dredge up a name from the past, but the front line development doesn't seem to be happening.

From the last page:

Last year in 40 games (starting 17) he played 16 minutes/game, averaged 4 points, 3 rebounds, shot 57% from the free throw line, 64% from the field, and 2.3 blocks per game.

This year in 18 games (starting 18) he plays 26 minutes/game, averages 10 points, 5 rebounds, shooting 64.8% from the free throw line, and 69% from the field, and he's averaging 2.7 blocks per game.

His numbers are up across the board. Literally every aspect of his game has improved. And if you want to complain about fouls, last year he averaged 2.9 fouls per game, this year 3.0 (and he's playing 10 more minutes/game). So he's improved there too.

And he's improved all of that after missing just about the entire off-season.

Reaction Score
I've seen an improvement. I can't remember him hitting one twelve-footer last year and he's doing it with regularity right now. He's still got a long way to go, but he's more polished than he was last year.

Rico I agree. But regularity? I said he shoots to better facing, but he's not taking any of those as of late to my point.

Reaction Score
It's pretty frustrating to watch a player who can't catch the ball. He dropped two passes that were lobbed in like balloons to kick the game off.

how can anyone make this complaint against him? Do you just turn away when he comes out of the game or can your eyes not see Phil Nolan? Brimah is no allstar, but he catches and holds the ball like Beckham Jr compared to Philly

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
how can anyone make this complaint against him? Do you just turn away when he comes out of the game or can your eyes not see Phil Nolan? Brimah is no allstar, but he catches and holds the ball like Beckham Jr compared to Philly

The thread is about Brimah... so the comment was about him?

Reaction Score
The thread is about Brimah... so the comment was about him?

if he couldn't catch the ball then he wouldn't have completed all these lobs. I get that Sunday's start from him was frustrating, but the hyperbole, and the hyperbole from the Brimah detractors who insist he hasn't improved when they've had every statistic possible thrown in their face to prove thats not the case, is a bit much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if he couldn't catch the ball then he wouldn't have completed all these lobs. I get that Sunday's start from him was frustrating, but the hyperbole, and the hyperbole from the Brimah detractors who insist he hasn't improved when they've had every statistic possible thrown in their face to prove thats not the case, is a bit much.

I would like to him see catch the ball better. I don't think I'd categorize my comment as hyperbole.

Reaction Score
And I would like to see you order your words correctly, and leave the basketball to him and his coaching staff

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When it comes to guys like Brimah, I remember a comment from Andre Lacroix when he was the color guy for Whaler games. He said it wasn't fair to boo performance, only effort. I agree. In this case, is Brimah giving us his best shot? Clearly, the answer is yes. Do I wish he would do a few things better? Yeah, but he's getting better and he saved last year for us. He plays with joy. He's pretty much a sacred cow for me.

Reaction Score
After watching a few of the 2008 games lately, I think that Brimah is definitely above where Thabeet was as a sophomore, at least on offense. Conversely, Thabeet was much better on defense, at his peak he's probably the most dominant defensive force I've ever seen in college basketball.

But Hasheem became a very good back to the basket player as a junior, so I think Brimah has a very bright future ahead of him.

I'm not sure I get the complaint about his hands. You're not second in the country in FG% with bad hands or even average ones.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
After watching a few of the 2008 games lately, I think that Brimah is definitely above where Thabeet was as a sophomore, at least on offense. Conversely, Thabeet was much better on defense, at his peak he's probably the most dominant defensive force I've ever seen in college basketball.

But Hasheem became a very good back to the basket player as a junior, so I think Brimah has a very bright future ahead of him.

I'm not sure I get the complaint about his hands. You're not second in the country in FG% with bad hands or even average ones.
You're not 2nd in the country in FG% without hands in general, let alone bad hands.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rico I agree. But regularity? I said he shoots to better facing, but he's not taking any of those as of late to my point.

We can sit here and debate how he's doing from game to game. I haven't seen enough the last month to say that he's regressing from where he was earlier in the season. I prefer to wait until the end of the season and make a final assessment then.

Reaction Score
The thing is there are a ton of things wrong with this team before you get to brimahs "hands". He is fouling less in an increased role/mpg, yet producing more per 40 min. than he did as a frosh. He is clearly the second best player on this team, you guys should be yelling about how poor of passers omar/purvis are. Cerebrally, AB is approaching the game at a different level , just check his stat trajectory. There's this strange group of posters who aren't really impressed by AB and think he subtracts more than he adds... I get he isn't necessarily conventional but c'mon

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way he is the 2nd best player, I'd put him 5th after RB, DHam, Purvis and Omar and that's almost by default because the talent level of the team falls off a cliff at that point.

I think he'll much more consistent next year and a potential AA candidate if stays for his Sr. year.

The thing is there are a ton of things wrong with this team before you get to brimahs "hands". He is fouling less in an increased role/mpg, yet producing more per 40 min. than he did as a frosh. He is clearly the second best player on this team, you guys should be yelling about how poor of passers omar/purvis are. Cerebrally, AB is approaching the game at a different level , just check his stat trajectory. There's this strange group of posters who aren't really impressed by AB and think he subtracts more than he adds... I get he isn't necessarily conventional but c'mon

Reaction Score
We can sit here and debate how he's doing from game to game. I haven't seen enough the last month to say that he's regressing from where he was earlier in the season. I prefer to wait until the end of the season and make a final assessment then.
OK let us know

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way he is the 2nd best player, I'd put him 5th after RB, DHam, Purvis and Omar and that's almost by default because the talent level of the team falls off a cliff at that point.

I think he'll much more consistent next year and a potential AA candidate if stays for his Sr. year.

You want to rank Amida after Hamilton - I get that, despite Dham's penchant for turnovers. You want to put him after Purvis - I don't see it, even though I think Purvis is our second most dependable 2 way player. You want to put Amida after Omar - well then you sir, are an idiot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And I would like to see you order your words correctly, and leave the basketball to him and his coaching staff

1000 apologies. No more comments from anyone on basketball, got it.

For all the grief the guy takes - it was a fairly innocuous comment that has upset y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom