Breanna Stewart is indeed the greatest of all time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart is indeed the greatest of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just an interesting thought on Stewart -
We were having this 'greatest ever' discussion at the start of the year, because Stewart had already put herself in the conversation through her first three years - so, she has now gone out and in only 33 games this year to date surpassed her previous best yearly totals for blocks, steals, and assists while dramatically decreasing her TOs, and significantly increasing her shooting percentage and three point shooting, and matching her sophomore scoring and rebounding per game. Didn't think she could get better?! She has. :)

Reaction Score
I think that Kerry Bascom was probably the most important Husky ever. Rebecca wasn't too far behind but I'm not sure Lobo would have even considered UConn had it not been for what Kerry did a few years earlier, bring UConn to the Final Four when 6 years before UConn had only ONE WINNING SEASON. I know that Geno and Chris made everyone on UConn's roster better seemingly from day one of their time in Storrs but Kerry on the court made her teammates better and did everything even though she lacked size. She was gifted and did about the same thing that Chris Smith did for the male counterparts at Storrs. She legitimized the idea of great players considering coming to Storrs and she led the way to the Nykesha's and Rebecca's and the Shea's of the earlier days of GREAT UCONN SUCCESS! Look at the supporting cast of that 1995 UConn championship team and compare it to the talent level of the Final Four team of 1991. Absolutely no comparison who had the more talented teammates. Chris Smith also opened the door to recruiting nationally rather than regionally and these two, Kerry and Chris really (along with Geno and Chris on the women's side and Jim Calhoun and Howie on the men's side) made Storrs a place for premium men's and women's basketball.

Thank you for adding that and mentioning Kerry. I just remembered from Geno's book talking about how he would use Kerry as something of the gold standard...so much so that the players got tired of hearing about it. That was until they watched her and Kerry got a shout out from Diana after they won the championship in 2004.
It also goes along with the fact that while there have been many great players to come through the program (as evidenced by this wonderful discussion), it's hard to pick who is the greatest of all time. Each player contributed something to the program that hadn't been done before and it seems like it really depends on how one defines "greatest of all time."
If it is the number of championships than, should the team win this year (I don't want to jinx them), Stewie would be the top choice. One could then make the argument that this class is the greatest that has come through, certainly one of the greatest.
In terms of the will to win, Diana and Maya are unmatched. Stewie to some degree fits in this category as she always manages to step up on the biggest stage. There are many players that could fit into this category as well. All the great players (those mentioned here and those not) could also fit in this category.
Going back to the players and teams that started it all, it would be easy to say the players like Kerry Bascom, Rebecca and the 1995 team as a whole would be put in their own category.
I love that this discussion could result in going so many different directions and could also go back to when Geno first arrived on campus. It really shows the level of talent Geno and Chris could get to come to Connecticut as well as how they were able to then work with each player to make them even better.

Reaction Score
Thank you for adding that and mentioning Kerry. I just remembered from Geno's book talking about how he would use Kerry as something of the gold standard...so much so that the players got tired of hearing about it. That was until they watched her and Kerry got a shout out from Diana after they won the championship in 2004.
It also goes along with the fact that while there have been many great players to come through the program (as evidenced by this wonderful discussion), it's hard to pick who is the greatest of all time. Each player contributed something to the program that hadn't been done before and it seems like it really depends on how one defines "greatest of all time."
If it is the number of championships than, should the team win this year (I don't want to jinx them), Stewie would be the top choice. One could then make the argument that this class is the greatest that has come through, certainly one of the greatest.
In terms of the will to win, Diana and Maya are unmatched. Stewie to some degree fits in this category as she always manages to step up on the biggest stage. There are many players that could fit into this category as well. All the great players (those mentioned here and those not) could also fit in this category.
Going back to the players and teams that started it all, it would be easy to say the players like Kerry Bascom, Rebecca and the 1995 team as a whole would be put in their own category.
I love that this discussion could result in going so many different directions and could also go back to when Geno first arrived on campus. It really shows the level of talent Geno and Chris could get to come to Connecticut as well as how they were able to then work with each player to make them even better.
You hinted at Geno's and Chris's building blocks. From the first moment on the campus of Storrs they built a foundation built on effort and teamwork and really, really hard work. They pushed players to their limits and beyond, meaning beyond the limits those players felt that they had and in doing so each subsequent team improved and their effort and success drew in better players. Players with the attitude of team success and they in turn were pushed beyond their own expectations and this pyramid of greatness started with those early players and those blocks they formed. What program in America has done what Geno has done, building a dynasty at a school in the boondocks with one winning season and having it evolve into the go to place for so many gifted players who want to become better and have great team success by being pushed to a level that they may have never felt they could attain. I love the fact that Geno invites fellow coaches and players to come in and witness his practices in the hopes that they'll successfully improve and that women's college basketball will be better off for it. Some people see him as brash or a smart aleck or arrogant but women's college basketball is better because of him. Why more coaches don't come by to get a sense of the work that is put in to make this Huskie team as good as it can be is beyond me. To sit back and complain about the inequities and this "Geno has the better players" nonsense is crazy because for a long time he had to play with what some people would call scraps and it's only with success and great recruiting that the better players started turning an eye to Storrs. It took time and it can happen again if the appropriate effort is put in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that Kerry Bascom was probably the most important Husky ever.

The program doesn't share that take. If they did, they never would have rigged a game to take away her scoring record.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart is indeed the undisputed GOAT!!!.

She is like like KML, Kiah Stoke, MoJeff and Tuck put together in one package. She is the reason we win in big game!!!!!!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's really not a question anymore. Stewart is the best college player ever. Maya Moore never had a game like Breanna just had. And she gets the nod over Taurasi for her defense as well as leading the team to a title as a freshman. Also, both DT and Maya had a rim protector to cover up defensive lapses. Stewart is the rim protector for her team. Like others have said in this forum, praising one can come off as denigrating another. That's not my intention, but to not give the nod to Stewart is to not give her, her just due.

Reaction Score
It's really not a question anymore. Stewart is the best college player ever. Maya Moore never had a game like Breanna just had. And she gets the nod over Taurasi for her defense as well as leading the team to a title as a freshman. Also, both DT and Maya had a rim protector to cover up defensive lapses. Stewart is the rim protector for her team. Like others have said in this forum, praising one can come off as denigrating another. That's not my intention, but to not give the nod to Stewart is to not give her, her just due.

Would you say without a doubt that she was better than Maya the prior 3 years?

Her freshman year was she superior to Maya's frosh year? If it is all about titles then you think DT is superior to Maya?
Do you think in Stewie's soph year that was superior to Maya's?
In Maya's junior year - she single-handedly took over the title game in a manner Stewie did as a frosh vs ND. Who was superior in their jr year?
Yes Stewie so far has had the best senior year EVER in Husky History. But suppose we lose to Baylor and we get pounded in the paint and Stewie's shot is off?

Reaction Score
I don't know if she is the GOAT, but one thing I really like about Stewie is despite being considered as goofy, her answer in post/pre game press conference always seems to be very well thought out, not automatic/canned response, that shows a level of maturity even beyond Tuck who everybody considered the more mature one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would you say without a doubt that she was better than Maya the prior 3 years?

Her freshman year was she superior to Maya's frosh year? If it is all about titles then you think DT is superior to Maya?
Do you think in Stewie's soph year that was superior to Maya's?
In Maya's junior year - she single-handedly took over the title game in a manner Stewie did as a frosh vs ND. Who was superior in their jr year?
Yes Stewie so far has had the best senior year EVER in Husky History. But suppose we lose to Baylor and we get pounded in the paint and Stewie's shot is off?
While I will not say it is 'just titles' I do think Breanna's freshman NCAA tournament run was beyond category. Maya had a better freshman year than either Breanna or Diana, but those last five games of Stewart's freshman year were phenomenal and her FF was one for the ages AS A FRESHMAN:
Overall she shot 56% from the floor and 60% from three scoring 20.8 ppg, with 6.2 rebounds per game, seven assists, 17 blocks and 10 steals with 6 turnovers in five games.
In the FF she shot 61.3% and 87.5% from three scoring 26 ppg, with 7 rebounds per game, four assists, seven blocks, four steals and only two turnovers.

[That team had good players and Dolson and KML had arrived as an AAs, but Bria was having a down year after being an AA the previous one, Faris was a great defensive stopper, but Morgan and Moriah were role players as freshman getting 15 and 17 minutes a game. ]

Reaction Score
While I will not say it is 'just titles' I do think Breanna's freshman NCAA tournament run was beyond category. Maya had a better freshman year than either Breanna or Diana, but those last five games of Stewart's freshman year were phenomenal and her FF was one for the ages AS A FRESHMAN:
Overall she shot 56% from the floor and 60% from three scoring 20.8 ppg, with 6.2 rebounds per game, seven assists, 17 blocks and 10 steals with 6 turnovers in five games.
In the FF she shot 61.3% and 87.5% from three scoring 26 ppg, with 7 rebounds per game, four assists, seven blocks, four steals and only two turnovers.

[That team had good players and Dolson and KML had arrived as an AAs, but Bria was having a down year after being an AA the previous one, Faris was a great defensive stopper, but Morgan and Moriah were role players as freshman getting 15 and 17 minutes a game. ]

Yes -- "beyond category" but as you say Maya had a better frosh year. In fact in Maya's frosh and sr years, do you think it could be argued if she had what Stewie had - a very good sharp-shooting KML, an upperclassmen in Farris and Dolson that there would have been a better chance Amazing Maya would have had 4 titles under her belt?

Some of Stewie's other games in Final Four's and Finals' weren't as good as for example Amazing Maya's great senior year game vs ND in which UCONN went down. Yet we give Stewie "the nod" for winning 4 titles and being FF MVP but we know at least her jr year that should have been MoJeff. And those 4 titles, is Stewie's teammates performed like Maya's teammates her sr year, the same fate would have probably happened. IMO for example Maya was fine playing center at times her sr year. She just needed help is similar to what Stewie would need.

Stewie had to "get pulled" in her frosh year because some games she was so bad. When did THAT ever happen to Amazing Maya?

So if Stewie "lays an egg" vs Baylor, why should we automatically proclaim she is GOAT over Maya?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maya's freshman year was a pretty loaded team with Seniors Swanier, Houston, and hobbled Hunter, Junior AA Renee, Sophomore Tina and Kaili, and fellow freshman Dixon who was actually playing about as well as Moriah and as many minutes. Houston was HM by AP and Tina was third team AA. They had lost Greene and Thomas earlier in the year but had plenty of time to adjust. They were both regular and tournament BE champions. Good enough to earn a #1 seed and lost to a two seed Stanford in the FF. Maya played well in the loss, but she scored 20 points on 19 shots, Stewart in her FF game against ND scored 29 points on 16 shots.

Reaction Score
Maya's freshman year was a pretty loaded team with Seniors Swanier, Houston, and hobbled Hunter, Junior AA Renee, Sophomore Tina and Kaili, and fellow freshman Dixon who was actually playing about as well as Moriah and as many minutes. Houston was HM by AP and Tina was third team AA. They had lost Greene and Thomas earlier in the year but had plenty of time to adjust. They were both regular and tournament BE champions. Good enough to earn a #1 seed and lost to a two seed Stanford in the FF. Maya played well in the loss, but she scored 20 points on 19 shots, Stewart in her FF game against ND scored 29 points on 16 shots.

Sure but instead of those games why can't we look at others as the comparison?

First off- Maya's senior year vs ND she was spectacular. UCONN would have won if you subsitituted Maya's great game if she had the teammates the frosh Stewie (12-13) had in 12-13.

Secondly, in this same line of comparing years, Stewie for example had good support from KML in 12-13 and pretty good support from Farris and Dolson. Give Stewie the support that Maya had in her senior year last game vs ND, imo Stewie isn't winning that game either. SO here we have a clear example that if you give Maya Stewie's teammates she wins too.

And the other loss for Maya in NCAA's- Maya's frosh year is similar to Stewie's jr year. Stewie only took 8 shots and wound up with only 8 points. That's not that good. While Maya took 19 shots as a frosh her EFG% was 50%. THAT 50% is the same as Stewie's was year when she was a junior. Give Maya -- MoJeff and KML and the jr Morgan Tuck - imo that is superior to the Big 3 of the young soph Tina, Hot-and-cold-Renee, and anyone else you want to add which Maya played with as a frosh.

MoJeff is HUGE in this case to help support Stewie last year. She should have been Final Four MVP last year. I love Renee but MoJeff is better. Tuck and KML superior to the young Tina and whomever else we add.

Reaction Score
If we could miraculously transform the bodies of Maya and DT into what they were at Stewie's current age, and hold a draft - I would be so thrilled just to have the third pick.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
This is painful to try to pick the best among so many greats-
I think Diana carrying a group of freshmen/young role players to a couple national championships was a feat greater than if Breanna wins 4 Nat. Championships.
She was our only off threat and she made it all happen.
Stewie walked into phenomenal line ups and did rise to the occasion to carry us over the top especially when we needed her.
But I also think that Breanna is the single most dominant player we've ever had.
Period & end of story. And I don't think there was anything more amazing than watching Maya Moore play every play of basketball- the way she played and continues to play the game.

Reaction Score
I think that Tina at that time was still a pretty big underachiever (she didn't GET IT until part way through her junior year) and that Houston was totally erratic. One moment splendid, then totally out of control. I've said before that Renee Montgomery was not a favorite of mine because I think she was one of the few Geno players that seemed to be more of a "me first"player than the team player that Geno espouses. All too often I remember her forcing shots or taking a disputed shot when there were teammates available that had more open looks and that bothered me. In my mind, those players weren't anywhere near as good a TEAM at that point in time as Breanna's teams were. I think the one ingredient that was special to formulate Breannai's freshman year TEAM was KML! I think losing Mel Thomas to injury later in the year really put pressure on Maya to be something she wasn't as proficient with (at least at that time) and that was a three point shooter. That and Tina's weak play in that game with Stanford helped contribute to Maya's less than stellar performance. I think her body of work throughout the year was easily of a higher quality than that of Breanna.

Reaction Score
Without question

I give a slight edge to DT BUT it is so slight I won't argue. To me both DT and Maya are right there with one another.

I happen to believe for those of us that give it to DT or for those that think they are "right-there super-close" to one another, all of us that think that way - just don't just look at stats. There is something "more." An intangible that DT brings. Such as in the Tenn Game in her Jr year in Htfd - in the last minute or two - Geno told his players during a timeout that maybe his team was too young and it was too early to win a game such as this. I understand DT yelled to paraphrase, "we aren't losing this game!" THIS is coming from a KID - telling an all-time great coach in a tight big game -- that he is wrong. Who does THAT?

DT has an intangible that no one imo can match. So below when you say - not to give Stewie the nod is not giving her her due - I don't agree. She hasn't won number 4 yet. And for example, I think DT has an intangible that is unmatched and if DT or Maya had this particular group of players when they were seniors - I mean in terms of talent- they would win. IMO Stewie should win before it being much more decisive GOAT. If she throws in a bad game and we lose to Baylor - I don't believe the seniors Maya or DT would have let that happen if they had similar talent.

but to not give the nod to Stewart is to not give her, her just due.

Reaction Score
I give a slight edge to DT BUT it is so slight I won't argue. To me both DT and Maya are right there with one another.

I happen to believe for those of us that give it to DT or for those that think they are "right-there super-close" to one another, all of us that think that way - just don't just look at stats. There is something "more." An intangible that DT brings. Such as in the Tenn Game in her Jr year in Htfd - in the last minute or two - Geno told his players during a timeout that maybe his team was too young and it was too early to win a game such as this. I understand DT yelled to paraphrase, "we aren't losing this game!" THIS is coming from a KID - telling an all-time great coach in a tight big game -- that he is wrong. Who does THAT?

DT has an intangible that no one imo can match. So below when you say - not to give Stewie the nod is not giving her her due - I don't agree. She hasn't won number 4 yet. And for example, I think DT has an intangible that is unmatched and if DT or Maya had this particular group of players when they were seniors - I mean in terms of talent- they would win. IMO Stewie should win before it being much more decisive GOAT. If she throws in a bad game and we lose to Baylor - I don't believe the seniors Maya or DT would have let that happen if they had similar talent.

but to not give the nod to Stewart is to not give her, her just due.
DT lost her freshman year with a very good team, Stewie didn't.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DT lost her freshman year with a very good team, Stewie didn't.

The 2001 team lost two All Americans Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova. If they stayed healthy, they would have rolled. The 2013 team got lucky in that regard. Subtract Faris and Hartley or Dolson and does that 2013 team win? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom