Breanna Stewart is indeed the greatest of all time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart is indeed the greatest of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We're splitting hairs - but what the heck - I'm weighing in. Stewie may impact the game more because of her physical gifts, etc.... And she does rise at the biggest crunch times, etc... Maya- was OMG!!! But Diana carried a team of pure role players without anything close to a 2nd star like the players Stewie plays with- not even close. She was double and tripled every play. She was beat up and body blocked every cut and play away from the ball- and could barely walk at the end of the Big East Tmts. She willed her teams to Nat Championships, with young avg role players. You can't win a NC with one star like she did. I'm sticking w DT. Maya didn't have enough veteran talent and or depth to win 4 in the modern age. I am reluctant to make anyone better than her either. How lucky are we to have all these great memories. I just don't think the winning 4 NC's is the right benchmark because these teams had perfect ly filled great turnover each year with few or little flaws. Diana wasn't blessed with anything like teams Stewie played on- just one mans opinion! :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Whatever happens in the next two weeks, I completely agree. Diana was amazing and leading that team to the last two NCs in Uconn's first three peat was amazing, and she has gone on to a really remarkable professional career. Maya was amazing while at Uconn with her 2 NCs and complete game and will to win and she has had a remarkable professional career as well.
Breanna is amazing and whether she gets #4 of not, she has topped those two previous players in her Uconn accomplishments. Yes, she came in with a better class and Moriah and Morgan have helped her every step of the way, but she has the most complete game of them all - threatening on offense in more ways than they could because of her height and threatening on defense in more ways as well. To 'penalize' her for accomplishing 'more with more' is to equally detract from Geno's remarkable accomplishments because he too figured out how to do more with more. We will not let others say that Geno is only a great coach because he gets the best players, so why do people constantly say that kind of thing when it comes to player comparisons.
Banham scored a lot more points than Stewart on a terrible team - does that make her a better player because she had no one around her? Johnson has a lot more assists and a better A/TO ratio than Moriah on a team without Stewart and Tuck, does that make her a better PG? As fans we laugh at those suggestions, but when we compare Uconn players those kinds of suggestions are frequently made. 'Yeah, well, DT had to do it with Strother and Moore and Battle and Conlon, etc. so that is more impressive.' In a team game you are always reliant on teammates, but if you look at the individual player and what they personally are able to accomplish Stewart has blown the doors off of the Uconn record book already, on offense and on defense, scoring, rebounding, assisting, stealing, blocking, and leading her team to victory and intimidating the opponent. Geno is famous for saying 'we have DT and they don't' but he could also be saying this year 'we have Breanna and not only don't they have her, but no one has ever seen her like before.'

[Diana shot the three better and dished 200 more assists. Stewart has shot better from the field, scored more points, grabbed 500 more rebounds, blocked 200+ more shots, has more steals, a better assist/to ratio, and drawn more fouls and her teams have beaten ranked team more decisively and won more games and is the only team to meet an undefeated team in the NC in NCAA history.]
Preach brother Uc, preach! I actually teared up when she left the floor never to be seen by such a loyal fan base again on their floor. I genuinely can't say her like will never be seen again. I can say her like has never before been seen by me or anyone else. Whether she wins 4 or not, she's got my GOAT.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
This is just an excuse. Baylor lost the game. Instead of pinning your star player where the other team knew she'd be - how about moving her around and make it much harder to man-handle her? It is much harder to man-handle a player outside the paint. She has a terrific mid-range game. And how about playing better defense? Baylor's defense got caught with their pants down and was way too slow to pull them up (offer a counter). If you couldn't stop it- then it wasn't good enough. Why couldn't Griner play a bit like Stewie instead of wait in the paint and put a potential game in the refs hands?
She was mugged so many times- with no calls, I don't blame Kimmy for having a heart attack. Did you actually watch the Baylor Louisville game? And Louisville hit approx 15 3's, many from way down town. It was a perfect storm. But Louisville was really fortunate re the officiating, for whatever reason.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Whatever happens in the next two weeks, I completely agree. Diana was amazing and leading that team to the last two NCs in Uconn's first three peat was amazing, and she has gone on to a really remarkable professional career. Maya was amazing while at Uconn with her 2 NCs and complete game and will to win and she has had a remarkable professional career as well.
Breanna is amazing and whether she gets #4 of not, she has topped those two previous players in her Uconn accomplishments. Yes, she came in with a better class and Moriah and Morgan have helped her every step of the way, but she has the most complete game of them all - threatening on offense in more ways than they could because of her height and threatening on defense in more ways as well. To 'penalize' her for accomplishing 'more with more' is to equally detract from Geno's remarkable accomplishments because he too figured out how to do more with more. We will not let others say that Geno is only a great coach because he gets the best players, so why do people constantly say that kind of thing when it comes to player comparisons.
Banham scored a lot more points than Stewart on a terrible team - does that make her a better player because she had no one around her? Johnson has a lot more assists and a better A/TO ratio than Moriah on a team without Stewart and Tuck, does that make her a better PG? As fans we laugh at those suggestions, but when we compare Uconn players those kinds of suggestions are frequently made. 'Yeah, well, DT had to do it with Strother and Moore and Battle and Conlon, etc. so that is more impressive.' In a team game you are always reliant on teammates, but if you look at the individual player and what they personally are able to accomplish Stewart has blown the doors off of the Uconn record book already, on offense and on defense, scoring, rebounding, assisting, stealing, blocking, and leading her team to victory and intimidating the opponent. Geno is famous for saying 'we have DT and they don't' but he could also be saying this year 'we have Breanna and not only don't they have her, but no one has ever seen her like before.'

[Diana shot the three better and dished 200 more assists. Stewart has shot better from the field, scored more points, grabbed 500 more rebounds, blocked 200+ more shots, has more steals, a better assist/to ratio, and drawn more fouls and her teams have beaten ranked team more decisively and won more games and is the only team to meet an undefeated team in the NC in NCAA history.]
UC- that is an awesome & detailed response! Most of my point is, a lot of people say because Stewie won 4, providing she does, than she automatically should be the unquestioned best UC player ever. And if that was the only criteria, I think DT did more with a lot less in those 3 in a row. It's hard to argue with your detailed analysis with your stats. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
6248130259e3aadd35f55669b5d80938

http://i1./knowledgenuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The_Scream.jpg?zoom=2&resize=960%2C503

Reaction Score
Wrong thread? But in response - Kim spent that whole game yelling at the refs instead of coaching her team - the refs were consistent throughout allowing Baylor the same liberties in the second half when they finally decided to play the game, a little too late. When the game was being lost, Baylor never got out on the three point shooters as they rained in threes. And they never tried option B on offense when Griner was neutralized until they were in a huge hole in the second half. Was it a badly officiated game - oh, yes. One of hundreds every year in WCBB.

UcMiami yes you're right. Kim Mulkey went into the L'ville game over looking Walz' ability to prepare his team and the abilities of his players! She was already preparing her players for the matchups in the FF. When it was past the "Oh !" moment it was too late! Baylor came back but fell short! Kim found out the hard way Every Game is A Championship Game from #1 to #6!
I told my HS wrestlers in the State Tournaments that they were not to look at the posted brackets and treat every bout as their championship match. You win THAT match you are the CHAMPION! Just do that 4 to 5 times to be a legit State Champion!
I bet Kim today, takes every game seriously!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stewie is definitely peaking at the right time... clicking on all cylinders! I'm impressed

Reaction Score
She was mugged so many times- with no calls, I don't blame Kimmy for having a heart attack. Did you actually watch the Baylor Louisville game? And Louisville hit approx 15 3's, many from way down town. It was a perfect storm. But Louisville was really fortunate re the officiating, for whatever reason.

I didn't see the whole game. What you are saying is an excuse. When play gets that bad you change your style. As I said before Griner camped inside. She shouldn't have if the coach would have tried during the season to expand her game which apparently she could score away from the paint. They played one way. And I'm not sure the relevance of 15 3's. Play good defense they won't hit 15 of them. How many times has UCONN played Louisville? And how many times did Louisville hit that many vs UCONN?

Can't keep giving excuses for a team that can only play one way. That's why versatile teams have an advantage. Griner moving away from the basket would have helped Baylro and slowed down the maulings. And if they are versatile enough they don't let lesser teams smoke them for 15 3's.

Reaction Score

What about Maya for scoring, steals, assists???? Does Breanna come close to Maya in those areas?? Obviously if you're 6 foot 4 inches and you are playing on the interior, you should have more blocks and more rebounds and probably a much higher shooting percentage than a guard/forward. Stewart is playing at a level at this moment that is supreme. She wasn't a shadow of the player she is now during her freshman year and to her credit and with this marvelous staff, she has improved continually physically and emotionally but Maya Moore was skilled and strong and consistent from her first moment on campus. Had she had any support in her senior year from her teammates UConn would have beaten Notre Dame and probably won another national championship but alas, that didn't happen. Her performance in a losing effort was worthy of the best of Diana or Breanna. She carried her team on her back until the waning moments of that game but to no avail. It is, after all, a team sport. I hear about Diana all the time and the suggestion that she had no one on her team those last two years and yet a lot of the same people will tell you that Maria Conlon was a star and how superb Ann Strothers was and accolades for others on those teams, as well and yet SHE HAD NO ONE? Did it single handedly? In nitty gritty time her teammates were there and performed and of course, we know Diana performed admirably but she wasn't alone. I think Maya gets some short thrift here always and yet who has won on more stages than Maya???? Her success in winning championships matches up with anyone's, doesn't it? Her professional career isn't nearly as long as Diana's and yet look at the success she's had. Up until well into her UConn career, Stewie was anything but a defensive star. I concede that she has turned into a superb defensive player but that's only in the past couple of seasons. Her defensive performance the other day was mind boggling and I was awed by it but that isn't who she was throughout her time in Storrs and yet that is almost implied, it seems. She was a very mediocre (at best) rebounder in her freshman and sophomore years and the important thing is that she's continually improved but I'm just emphasizing where SHE STARTED. Up until the post season of her freshman year a lot of people were saying "this was the number one ranked recruit?????" in regards to the season she had. She was at least a mild disappointment to many but to her credit, she kicked in and helped the Huskies to that national championship then but lets not forget her bumps along the way. It seems ou are remembering the completed version and some of the highlights along the way without the oops moments. I really don't like people bringing up the best because it almost makes people imply negative things about others when justifying your particular preference and that is totally wrong. Diana was marvelous, Breanna is amazing and Maya is superb and yet here comes remarks suggesting flaws and weaknesses. This topic probably should never see the light of day but it seems like it does frequently!!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Buzzboy - I was not dissing Maya who I think was and is a spectacular player - just trying not to extend my post too far into stats. DT seems to 'lead' in the best ever in a head to head with Maya so I used her as the example.

And I totally agree (and have posted numerous threads) about the quality of the team in 2003 and 2004 around DT. Moore was a very good college center and has had a long WNBA career and Barb Turner was a phenomenal undersized forward - they each put up statistics comparable to Morgan Tuck (though Tuck has become more of a leader - something she was not as a freshman nor as an injured sophomore) Anne Strother was a better version of Samuelson her freshman year. Battle (a long WNBA career as well) and Conlon were solid contributors similar in production to Nurse. And you could kiss at least one NC goodbye without Crockett's frustrating ability to play absolutely inspired basketball only when the team really needed her in tournaments. And another without Moore's ability to play a second half of basketball on a torn ACL! DT was the emotional and spiritual leader of those teams, but they were full of really good college basketball players who are disrespected constantly by people wanting to over-emphasize DT. And the fact they could not carry their team to glory with the reinforcements that arrived after DT and Conlon left has further tarnished their collective reputation.) And as to the DT wins as the only star on a team being unique - check out TN's last two championships - Parker and the Parkerettes! (And yes she had very good teams around her as well.)

Moore certainly was more consistent as a freshman - Stewart started the year on fire surpassing Moore in her first 10 games, hit a big hole through the rest of the regular season, but emerged in the post season to again surpass both Moore and Taurasi in the NCAAs - that 5 game run (held out injured in the first game) as a freshman was breathtaking. Statistically, Moore will end up ahead of Stewart in most categories partly because of her freshman year and her playing maybe 400 more minutes through her career. The only category Stewart is likely to lead in is blocks - they will end up being close in rebounds, field goal percentage, and A/TO with Moore clearly leading in points, assists, and steals. Stewart will have drawn more fouls. They are both phenomenal two-way players - I think because of her height and length Stewart is more 'intimidating' at both ends of the floor but they are both nightmares for opponents (as is DT.) I think Moore arrived as a more complete player ready for the college game, but Stewart sure learned quickly.

There is no right answer of course and it is different horses for different courses - opponents, teammates, strategies, chemistry, and luck all play huge roles in how statistics are complied and teams perform. That we can debate this is a privilege and that the prime contenders from other teams date back to a previous century shows how phenomenal Uconn WCBB has been in this century.

Reaction Score
Buzzboy - I was not dissing Maya who I think was and is a spectacular player - just trying not to extend my post too far into stats. DT seems to 'lead' in the best ever in a head to head with Maya so I used her as the example.

And I totally agree (and have posted numerous threads) about the quality of the team in 2003 and 2004 around DT. Moore was a very good college center and has had a long WNBA career and Barb Turner was a phenomenal undersized forward - they each put up statistics comparable to Morgan Tuck (though Tuck has become more of a leader - something she was not as a freshman nor as an injured sophomore) Anne Strother was a better version of Samuelson her freshman year. Battle (a long WNBA career as well) and Conlon were solid contributors similar in production to Nurse. And you could kiss at least one NC goodbye without Crockett's frustrating ability to play absolutely inspired basketball only when the team really needed her in tournaments. And another without Moore's ability to play a second half of basketball on a torn ACL! DT was the emotional and spiritual leader of those teams, but they were full of really good college basketball players who are disrespected constantly by people wanting to over-emphasize DT. And the fact they could not carry their team to glory with the reinforcements that arrived after DT and Conlon left has further tarnished their collective reputation.) And as to the DT wins as the only star on a team being unique - check out TN's last two championships - Parker and the Parkerettes! (And yes she had very good teams around her as well.)

Moore certainly was more consistent as a freshman - Stewart started the year on fire surpassing Moore in her first 10 games, hit a big hole through the rest of the regular season, but emerged in the post season to again surpass both Moore and Taurasi in the NCAAs - that 5 game run (held out injured in the first game) as a freshman was breathtaking. Statistically, Moore will end up ahead of Stewart in most categories partly because of her freshman year and her playing maybe 400 more minutes through her career. The only category Stewart is likely to lead in is blocks - they will end up being close in rebounds, field goal percentage, and A/TO with Moore clearly leading in points, assists, and steals. Stewart will have drawn more fouls. They are both phenomenal two-way players - I think because of her height and length Stewart is more 'intimidating' at both ends of the floor but they are both nightmares for opponents (as is DT.) I think Moore arrived as a more complete player ready for the college game, but Stewart sure learned quickly.

There is no right answer of course and it is different horses for different courses - opponents, teammates, strategies, chemistry, and luck all play huge roles in how statistics are complied and teams perform. That we can debate this is a privilege and that the prime contenders from other teams date back to a previous century shows how phenomenal Uconn WCBB has been in this century.
I've always loved your posts. Your responses are always something I look forward to reading and I agree, that at this moment in time, Breanna is likely a more multi-dimensional player than Moore was at the end of her senior year, partially because of the one thing you can't teach, size. Her height and her wing span create things that very, very few people can replicate. Her play more recently is off the charts but I still feel that no one has been as good as consistently throughout their time in Storrs than Maya. As you said, we could continue this topic forever without ever reaching a conclusion that would get total agreement but we sure have seen some wonderful talent coming through our women's program and Geno and staff have always gotten them to be the best they could be. I have a tendency to get on my soapbox from time to time but as always, I enjoyed and respected your response. Four more for Four! Go Huskies!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I've always loved your posts. Your responses are always something I look forward to reading and I agree, that at this moment in time, Breanna is likely a more multi-dimensional player than Moore was at the end of her senior year, partially because of the one thing you can't teach, size. Her height and her wing span create things that very, very few people can replicate. Her play more recently is off the charts but I still feel that no one has been as good as consistently throughout their time in Storrs than Maya. As you said, we could continue this topic forever without ever reaching a conclusion that would get total agreement but we sure have seen some wonderful talent coming through our women's program and Geno and staff have always gotten them to be the best they could be. I have a tendency to get on my soapbox from time to time but as always, I enjoyed and respected your response. Four more for Four! Go Huskies!
Maya's supporting cast wasnt as good as Stewie's and I dont think Stewie's competition is as strong as Maya's was

Reaction Score
Can we wait for 4 more games before we do this?? They are not done yet...
There is no such thing as mojo in the women's game. Every game is a double digit victory. Most nights UConn has the three best players on the floor. UConn might be able to win some of these games without Stewie even playing, that's how big the disparity in talent, coaching and execution is.

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as mojo in the women's game. Every game is a double digit victory. Most nights UConn has the three best players on the floor. UConn might be able to win some of these games without Stewie even playing, that's how big the disparity in talent, coaching and execution is.

There is mojo and stop messing w/it! we are doomed now!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
BB- very true- Maya was deadly right out of the gate!!!!

Reaction Score
It's so tough getting into these discussions. If you prefer one over the other in terms of greatness and try to explain the point in any prolonged manner, you almost feel you're bashing the other. It's brutal.
I look at it like this way-

DT-- She is similar to Bill Russell in that she doesn't have big stats. But she "has something Russell-esque." In her 1st title when Oklahoma narrowed the gap, UCONN needed a big play. What did they do when they even had all the seniors on the court? They ran an isolation play for DT. Hit the shot drew the foul (and fouled out) on Stacey Dales. Game over! Geno said later he could have done that all game but didn't want to play that way. I don't know if the following was true but I think it was-- look at UCONN_Tenn game in Htfd - in DT's Jr Year. Geno told his team that it looked like they were going to lose. Supposedly DT screamed "we are not losing this game." And they won in an unreal, UNBELEIAVLE comeback which DT took over the game. AM I wrong about this? If I'm right, doesn't that show she has "something" that isn't "stats" and is "Russell-esque?" Who does THAT in college to a championship super-great coach during a timeout late in the game? Who?

Maya- Amazing Maya it is so much simpler. Her 1st game to her last she was AMAZING. Never took a game off in terms of effort. She was relentless. And the productivity from game to game was unbelievably AMAZING. The three big things I take away from Amazing Maya was the Stanford Title game - 1st half everyone in a funk. even Maya. The team could have choked vs a really, really, really good Stanford Team. All Maya did was dominate the 2nd half title game. DOMINATED it. For an ENTIRE HALF. Secondly her last game vs ND - even in defeat she was AMAZING. firing away from three. Almost bringing her team back single-handedly. Amazing. Butt for me most Amazing about Amazing Maya was THE STEAL at DePaul. THAT GAME WAS OVER before she made that steal. That IS an example of what Amazing Maya IS. Relentless effort. Never give up.

Stewie- Just can't see it RIGHT NOW saying she is GOAT. There are still more games to go. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. If this team loses while she plays poorly in that game, shouldn't that count when we compare these greats? If for example if ND were to beat us in the finals there would be some sort of slogan "We saw Stewie rise at our expense only to witness her fall in the end." With all that said, if UCONN wins and she is tremendous during this run, I am going to have a hard time saying she isn't GOAT. Only suggesting "hard time" because I love all three. If we lose I'll be CRUSHED - I hate to imagine what Stewie would be. Her career we have witnessed magnificence. I have said "Oh My God" more often after watching Stewie than any wcbb player that I have ever watched.

Reaction Score
She changes games in so many ways. Last night her stat line was 21 points, 16 rebounds and 5 blocks and that doesn't even tell the whole story. She clogs the passing lanes on D and makes the other teams very uncomfortable in terms of bringing the ball into the lane. You can say that Diana or Maya were the greatest, but Stewie will win 4 Most Outstanding Player awards at the Final Four and leave UConn as the greatest Women's college basketball player of all time. She is simply the best to ever set foot on the court.
I rarely anoint a team or a player the best this year or the best EVER. At UConn, even DT, Maya, Sue, Lobo (I just threw her in), could never do what Stewie has done. DT put her teams on her back and carried less talented player to Championships. True Stewie has Tuck, Moriah (super great Player), Nurse, Gabby, Lou, Collier, Steff, Kiah, etc as "co-players" yet there is the X factor and that is what is inside Stewie that made her the best ever at Uconn. Is she the best ever of any WBB player ever??
I'll allow those with fast computers and better stat devices to prove or disprove that--but at Uconn--there never was--and to go out on a limb--there never will be again. Enjoy Stew while we still have her--next year will be 30 months long without her.

Reaction Score
It's so tough getting into these discussions. If you prefer one over the other in terms of greatness and try to explain the point in any prolonged manner, you almost feel you're bashing the other. It's brutal.
I look at it like this way-

DT-- She is similar to Bill Russell in that she doesn't have big stats. But she "has something Russell-esque." In her 1st title when Oklahoma narrowed the gap, UCONN needed a big play. What did they do when they even had all the seniors on the court? They ran an isolation play for DT. Hit the shot drew the foul (and fouled out) on Stacey Dales. Game over! Geno said later he could have done that all game but didn't want to play that way. I don't know if the following was true but I think it was-- look at UCONN_Tenn game in Htfd - in DT's Jr Year. Geno told his team that it looked like they were going to lose. Supposedly DT screamed "we are not losing this game." And they won in an unreal, UNBELEIAVLE comeback which DT took over the game. AM I wrong about this? If I'm right, doesn't that show she has "something" that isn't "stats" and is "Russell-esque?" Who does THAT in college to a championship super-great coach during a timeout late in the game? Who?

Maya- Amazing Maya it is so much simpler. Her 1st game to her last she was AMAZING. Never took a game off in terms of effort. She was relentless. And the productivity from game to game was unbelievably AMAZING. The three big things I take away from Amazing Maya was the Stanford Title game - 1st half everyone in a funk. even Maya. The team could have choked vs a really, really, really good Stanford Team. All Maya did was dominate the 2nd half title game. DOMINATED it. For an ENTIRE HALF. Secondly her last game vs ND - even in defeat she was AMAZING. firing away from three. Almost bringing her team back single-handedly. Amazing. Butt for me most Amazing about Amazing Maya was THE STEAL at DePaul. THAT GAME WAS OVER before she made that steal. That IS an example of what Amazing Maya IS. Relentless effort. Never give up.

Stewie- Just can't see it RIGHT NOW saying she is GOAT. There are still more games to go. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. This team if they remain healthy should not lose. If this team loses while she plays poorly in that game, shouldn't that count when we compare these greats? If for example if ND were to beat us in the finals there would be some sort of slogan "We saw Stewie rise at our expense only to witness her fall in the end." With all that said, if UCONN wins and she is tremendous during this run, I am going to have a hard time saying she isn't GOAT. Only suggesting "hard time" because I love all three. If we lose I'll be CRUSHED - I hate to imagine what Stewie would be. Her career we have witnessed magnificence. I have said "Oh My God" more often after watching Stewie than any wcbb player that I have ever watched.
I agree it's a bit of heresy to speak against Uconn Greats. However, should Uconn not win 11/4 that won't be because of Stewie or the team. In all basketball, and in all probabilities (mathematical), a set of circumstances, unforeseen, happens to even the greats most prepared (probably less often to the prepared) a team plays above their abilities (we saw that a few times last year for 3/4th of a game) if someone can play 40 minutes that way--who know?? I say Oh, My more often watching Stew and Moriah and Tuck than I ever did watching Pro Basketball with all the previous greats except maybe Jordan..

Reaction Score
I agree with all the points mentioned in this post. I've never been one to try and figure out who is the greatest of all time at UConn. It's too hard at this point. It's no longer about being the greatest of all time, it seems like it's about doing things previous players and teams haven't done.

Rebecca Lobo was the first big recruit for the team and along with a cast of players that all fit perfectly like pieces in a puzzle not only led UConn to their first championship, but first undefeated championship. UConn became America's team and Rebecca became America's sweetheart. She was a large reason UConn began this journey to becoming a dynasty.

Diana is in a class of her own. While she did have players that were very good around her, Geno said it best when he said there is no one that has taken two different starting lineups in her junior and senior year and win national championships both years. She also became the first to lead UConn to three straight national championships. She had an incredible will to win, she still does. I'm always going to remember the game against Tennessee in her junior year, the one that went into overtime. That game, along with many, is a great example of how strong willed and clutch she is.

Maya is also in a class of her own. Her teams did something that hadn't been done before either in winning 90 straight games. She is very similar to Diana in her will to win and like was mentioned, the championship game against Stanford showed that ability.

Stewie is an incredible player, certainly one of a kind, she is also on the verge of doing something no other team has done before in winning four championships in a row. She's also not alone though. Not denying anything she has accomplished, she is without a doubt, the best player in the country at this point.

One could argue though that rather than compare Stewie with Diana or Maya (the comparisons could be made) you could compare the class of 2002 with the class of 2016. Each member of each class was a huge reason for incredible success by the program. How would the two classes stack up against one another?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree it's a bit of heresy to speak against Uconn Greats. However, should Uconn not win 11/4 that won't be because of Stewie or the team. In all basketball, and in all probabilities (mathematical), a set of circumstances, unforeseen, happens to even the greats most prepared (probably less often to the prepared) a team plays above their abilities (we saw that a few times last year for 3/4th of a game) if someone can play 40 minutes that way--who know?? I say Oh, My more often watching Stew and Moriah and Tuck than I ever did watching Pro Basketball with all the previous greats except maybe Jordan..
you Sir haven't watched a lot of "pro basketball"

Reaction Score
I agree with all the points mentioned in this post. I've never been one to try and figure out who is the greatest of all time at UConn. It's too hard at this point. It's no longer about being the greatest of all time, it seems like it's about doing things previous players and teams haven't done.

Rebecca Lobo was the first big recruit for the team and along with a cast of players that all fit perfectly like pieces in a puzzle not only led UConn to their first championship, but first undefeated championship. UConn became America's team and Rebecca became America's sweetheart. She was a large reason UConn began this journey to becoming a dynasty.

Diana is in a class of her own. While she did have players that were very good around her, Geno said it best when he said there is no one that has taken two different starting lineups in her junior and senior year and win national championships both years. She also became the first to lead UConn to three straight national championships. She had an incredible will to win, she still does. I'm always going to remember the game against Tennessee in her junior year, the one that went into overtime. That game, along with many, is a great example of how strong willed and clutch she is.

Maya is also in a class of her own. Her teams did something that hadn't been done before either in winning 90 straight games. She is very similar to Diana in her will to win and like was mentioned, the championship game against Stanford showed that ability.

Stewie is an incredible player, certainly one of a kind, she is also on the verge of doing something no other team has done before in winning four championships in a row. She's also not alone though. Not denying anything she has accomplished, she is without a doubt, the best player in the country at this point.

One could argue though that rather than compare Stewie with Diana or Maya (the comparisons could be made) you could compare the class of 2002 with the class of 2016. Each member of each class was a huge reason for incredible success by the program. How would the two classes stack up against one another?
I think that Kerry Bascom was probably the most important Husky ever. Rebecca wasn't too far behind but I'm not sure Lobo would have even considered UConn had it not been for what Kerry did a few years earlier, bring UConn to the Final Four when 6 years before UConn had only ONE WINNING SEASON. I know that Geno and Chris made everyone on UConn's roster better seemingly from day one of their time in Storrs but Kerry on the court made her teammates better and did everything even though she lacked size. She was gifted and did about the same thing that Chris Smith did for the male counterparts at Storrs. She legitimized the idea of great players considering coming to Storrs and she led the way to the Nykesha's and Rebecca's and the Shea's of the earlier days of GREAT UCONN SUCCESS! Look at the supporting cast of that 1995 UConn championship team and compare it to the talent level of the Final Four team of 1991. Absolutely no comparison who had the more talented teammates. Chris Smith also opened the door to recruiting nationally rather than regionally and these two, Kerry and Chris really (along with Geno and Chris on the women's side and Jim Calhoun and Howie on the men's side) made Storrs a place for premium men's and women's basketball.

Reaction Score

My last post was lost in cyberspace. Anyhow I disagree big time with the 1st in bold. They are an overwhelming all-time great team. And some of the all-time great. If they lose was because they had a letdown. When we compare all-time greats (and teams) there isn't much that separates them. Players and teams play for championships. You hear many players say "what they won't give for a championship." You even have guys like Doug West taking major cut in salary in NBA for the chance. Winning defines a great player and great team to some extent and winning a championship is further defining. For UCON to lose with the star power they have -- regardless of "mathematical probabilities" the super great ones close the game when they have a vastly superior force. Otherwise how great are they? DO we speak of the team in 96-97 as an all-time great team in that they went undefeated and lost just once in S16? Are they as great of a team as teams that won it? Maybe they were "better" than other teams that won it or went farther but greatness is also defined how you do in pressure imo. If you don't win and you were favored - then it means your ultimate goal failed. That's not "greatness" when you compare that vs a team for example that has won a title and never lost a game. They showed game over game that they wouldn't yield. I realize that team had a huge injury in Ralph. SO no way am I knocking. I wouldn't knock that team anyways unlessen wants to say they were greater than a championship team. IMO better and great are different.

This UCONN Team and Players are overwhelming favorites for a reason. OVERWHELMING. If they want to be in discussion of leading an all-time great undefeated team that never wilted once under the pressure, then they have to win. That is why it is called "pressure." The super great ones that are overwhelming favorites don't wilt. They let the lesser "great" players do that. That's why they are at the pinnacle - if they win.

I didn't understand your last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc