Boatright still undecided on 2014 NBA Draft | The Boneyard

Boatright still undecided on 2014 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/spor...right-facing-a-big-decision.html#.U1RhLF6qzN5

“I really don’t know yet,” Boatright said Saturday at the Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora where Mayor Tom Weisner presented him a key to the city and hundreds of fans cheered him at a rousing homecoming celebration.

“I’ve gotta talk to my mother and my family tomorrow. It’s a big decision. I just want to make the right one. I’ve got ‘til the 27th (of April to declare for the NBA draft). That’s the last day. That’s another reason I came home, to talk to my family about it.”

Reaction Score
I really hope Boat makes the right decision and comes back for his senior year. If Boat and DD return, I believe we will have the best starting lineup in college basketball in Boat, Purvis, DHam, DD and Brimah. And the bench of TSam, Nolan, Calhoun, Facey, Lubin, and Cassel Jr. would make for a very deep team.

I believe that roster would be highly ranked all year, resulting in tons of exposure for Boat and DD. Plus a deep tourney run wouldn't hurt either of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really hope Boat makes the right decision and comes back for his senior year. If Boat and DD return, I believe we will have the best starting lineup in college basketball in Boat, Purvis, DHam, DD and Brimah. And the bench of TSam, Nolan, Calhoun, Facey, Lubin, and Cassel Jr. would make for a deep team.

We'd arguably have the deepest rotation in the nation. Scary.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Hope Boat stays I truly believe he will improve his stock with one more year!

Any news on DD?
which way is he leaning?

Reaction Score
Boat has to show scouts he can run the show as a true PG. He has to come back next year.

UconnAngel

Feed the orphans
Reaction Score
Uconn and other programs with NBA-type players on the cusp of career-defining decisions should offer basic disability specialty insurance for say, 0.5 to 1.0 mil just in case the returning player is hurt in a way that would cause a lost NBA career or, God forbid, a career ending injury. It should not be too expensive. They give so much money and glory to their schools and fans like us, it's a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of an effect, if at all, Boatright's decision will have on DeAndre, and vice versa. They've been playing together for three years and are best friends, so I imagine there is a good chance they will announce their intentions together like they did last year.

D

Deleted member 3149

I would love to see what Boat and DD can do with one more year. The problem when Kemba left in 2011 is that there was nobody to lead the team in 2012. Now that we're fresh off a title, we're in a same situation, only we have Boat to lead us

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think if he comes back and runs the point well enough he'll be a first round pick after next season.

As great a college player he showed the world he can be, the draft is based on measurables and perceived abilities.

He's got the athleticism and defense to cut it, but if he can run point, he'll be a lock I think to go round 1.

Reaction Score
They are both intelligent enough to not seek the boneyard for advice.

I think Boat has much more to gain by returning. Deandre should strike while the iron is hot if the scouts indicate he's likely going to be a first round pick. He has the tougher decision because I think he has more potential. I think he could be a first rounder this year, but could guarantee himself a top 25 selection with another solid year.
Boatright has more to prove, and the easier decision, IMO. I think this board is underestimating the impact his size will have. Yes, there have been guys his size in the league, but it's rare. And while his defense is very impressive, locking down college guards is one thing, the ability to carry that over to the NBA where the size/speed of the game cannot be measured is another.

Shabazz has shown the ability to lead a team, to run an offense, direct players, make adjustments on the fly to get other guys their shots, and to consistently hit from deep. Boatright didn't have to run the point as often. If he can show he's capable of that (and I think he is), he may get a look. I'd be shocked if he were a first round pick this year, and if he's not getting solid information that he will be, the wise decision is to return, get a degree, and improve on the question marks.

Europe will always be an option for both of these guys. They have more than enough talent to have long careers in Europe making a great living, but perhaps falling short of their dreams.
Whatever they do, I'm sure it will be in their own best interest, as it should be, and I will always be rooting for them to succeed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love boat but he ain't getting drafted unless he has a huge combine

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Boat stays but DD goes. No inside knowledge, but my feeling. We will see. If boat goes, TSam and Purvis should be our starting back court. Still very very solid... and add in Cassell and Calhoun off the bench and we are still really good.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Boat has to show scouts he can run the show as a true PG. He has to come back next year.

I believe this as well, and I know he has all the best advise he can receive

He may choose to try and make a team this year, then play elsewhere for money to help his family

can't be easy for him (or DD)

all the best Ryan, whatever you decide

Reaction Score
I think if he comes back and runs the point well enough he'll be a first round pick after next season.

As great a college player he showed the world he can be, the draft is based on measurables and perceived abilities.

He's got the athleticism and defense to cut it, but if he can run point, he'll be a lock I think to go round 1.

For Boat and the program that would be great, but looking at past guys with his combination of measurables/athleticism/game its hard to find guys who were selected that high even after having very good seasons. The two most recent I can think of are Isaiah Thomas and Pierre Jackson, Thomas went pro after a great junior year and got picked last(obviously should've been higher) and Jackson went 42nd in a weak draft after a great senior year, he's destroyed the DLeague but couldn't get a call up. Maybe if Boat has a great senior year a team will think he has the chance to be the next Thomas but with his size teams usually err on the side of caution.

Reaction Score
a part of me finds the tone of this article unsettling because i really want ryan back next year. a part of me finds this extremely self-serving because there is no question that ryan's return would make uconn more formidable. as a loyal fan, that's what i want. truth is, regardless of how well ryan plays next year, i am not convinced that any gm/scout will project him as a first round pick. in fact, i doubt there are any. sometimes reality sets in and ko certainly speaks the truth to these kids. ryan's future is more than likely overseas. if true, why not get paid now off a stellar ncaa tourney performance? it may be best for ryan and his family but would totally suck for this uconn fan.

Reaction Score
For Boat and the program that would be great, but looking at past guys with his combination of measurables/athleticism/game its hard to find guys who were selected that high even after having very good seasons. The two most recent I can think of are Isaiah Thomas and Pierre Jackson, Thomas went pro after a great junior year and got picked last(obviously should've been higher) and Jackson went 42nd in a weak draft after a great senior year, he's destroyed the DLeague but couldn't get a call up. Maybe if Boat has a great senior year a team will think he has the chance to be the next Thomas but with his size teams usually err on the side of caution.

Which is why I wouldn't fault Boatright for leaving now. It's very, very unlikely that he ever becomes a first round pick - he would have to put up absolutely berserk numbers next year to even have a chance, and even then, it's probably unlikely given his age. Most likely, the kid is heading to Europe or the D-League whether he leaves this year or the year after. He has to decide what matters to him more: his senior year and a degree, or immediate financial relief (I know he's talked in the past about wanting to get his family out of some of the rougher parts of Chicago) and an additional year of earning in his future profession. Very tough decision.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that any player that brings home a NC for UCONN - we should only wish them success and happiness. It is true if he stayed he would have a much better chance at big NBA money but his family might need him to leave even if he winds up playing in Europe.

It might b short sighted if he leaves- but we do not know the economic pressure on his family. If he stays I will be thrilled- if he leaves I hope he gets mucho $$ somewhere- kids got the heart of a lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom