Boatright still undecided on 2014 NBA Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boatright still undecided on 2014 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which is why I wouldn't fault Boatright for leaving now. It's very, very unlikely that he ever becomes a first round pick - he would have to put up absolutely berserk numbers next year to even have a chance, and even then, it's probably unlikely given his age. Most likely, the kid is heading to Europe or the D-League whether he leaves this year or the year after. He has to decide what matters to him more: his senior year and a degree, or immediate financial relief (I know he's talked in the past about wanting to get his family out of some of the rougher parts of Chicago) and an additional year of earning in his future profession. Very tough decision.

I see your point, and that's kind of the decision that Phil Pressey and Thomas faced when they left after their junior years where it seemed like at that point they couldn't do much to improve their stock(same with KEA in 2000), but with Boat it just feels like he still has alot more to prove. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the Boat we saw on offense for most of the postseason is what we thought we would be seeing for most of his junior year instead of the last 9 games or so. If Boat would be able to improve upon that for a whole season while finally getting the chance to be the primary PG, I think he would put himself in a much better chance to make an NBA roster than if he were to leave now when I'd imagine scouts still have a lot of questions about him. Then again the whole thing could backfire and he could look not like a PG and suffer through another subpar shooting performance in his senior year, but I just think the upside to returning and having a great year is worth more in regards to setting the table for his professional(wherever it may be) career.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It is a very difficult decision for both players. As mentioned in the article, the NBA has been on Boat's radar since grade school and he has had to wrestle with this decision each of the two previous summers.
He played exceptionally well in the NCAA tournament.
Because of that, you would think that his draft stock would be at its peak. Unfortunately, none of the draft websites nor any of the NBA draft articles have him even projected as a 2nd round pick, so if he left, he would likely have to try to make a roster as a free agent. He is a very tough kid and he is blessed with a lot of talent, so it is certainly possible for him to do this, but it is a difficult road.
He also has the talent to make a team in Europe or China and make a very lucrative living. In both of these scenarios though, I think he would be better served earning his college degree and getting an additional year of exposure as the Top Dog on the returning National Champions.
In addition to their outstanding talent, it would be huge to have two key members of this year's family (Boat and DD) back in leadership roles next year...the chemistry is bound to be super again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Boat is no where on NBA radars right now. He has to show he can be "the guy" on a tournament team and prove that he can play point. I think he needs to average 5 apg next year. Otherwise, he is worthless to an NBA team. If he can do those two things, he may find himself in the first round.

Daniels is in a different spot. He is older, there appears to be some NBA interest in him, and I don't see what he can do next year to really move the needle much beyond where it is now. I think it really comes down to whether he thinks this draft is too deep or not.

Reaction Score
Boat is no where on NBA radars right now. He has to show he can be "the guy" on a tournament team and prove that he can play point. I think he needs to average 5 apg next year. Otherwise, he is worthless to an NBA team. If he can do those two things, he may find himself in the first round.

Daniels is in a different spot. He is older, there appears to be some NBA interest in him, and I don't see what he can do next year to really move the needle much beyond where it is now. I think it really comes down to whether he thinks this draft is too deep or not.

What Daniels can do next year is average 18-8-2 shoot 50% put a few more pounds on and move up to a lottery pick instead of a fringe 1st rounder/2nd rounder
Daniels could be a high lottery pick with a biog year. Ryan needs a lot his actual numbers were the worst of his career--NBA different animal than defending guards for 6 games in a college tourney. Hes a 5-10 guard who plays out of control without a great jumpshot. He has a lot of work to do. He could settle with this is as high as I can get in college--but if so--then take your degree with you!!!! Its free right now. Listen to KO he wont steer u wrong.

Reaction Score
I'll be stunned if Boat leaves.

It wouldn't be a good decision, but it wouldn't surprise me, honestly. He's been dying to declare the last few years.

Reaction Score
Boat is still unproven running a team. However that may not matter. Bazz proved he can do it without Kemba, it would be special (or maybe selfish) to see if Boat can do it without Bazz.

On the other hand he is a 'household' name now and a hot NCAA commodity, but is he NBA commodity?

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Kevin Ollie will give him the most genuine advice. As a guy who bounced around the league he has a great perspective on what it takes. There will be lots of folks trying to influence Ryan for a variety of reasons, some of them often self serving. But it only takes one respected voice to make all the difference. For KO that voice was Larry Brown. For Boatright, it just may be KO.

Reaction Score
I get all the "we don't know his situation!! Ryan needs to do what's best for himself and his family!!" stuff that everyone is always saying, but it would be pretty silly for him to declare this year. He had a great tournament but overall last season he was very inconsistent, and he's obviously not an NBA-sized guard.

I hope Boat has a long career playing professional basketball, but he's the kind of player that should consider a college degree to be extremely important.

Obviously if he goes, you thank him for his contributions and wish him all the best. But he should come back next year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I get all the "we don't know his situation!! Ryan needs to do what's best for himself and his family!!" stuff that everyone is always saying, but it would be pretty silly for him to declare this year.

Unless he decided he was in a position to make hundreds of thousands of $$$ overseas and didn't want to put it off another year.

Reaction Score
Unless he decided he was in a position to make hundreds of thousands of $ overseas and didn't want to put it off another year.
leaving college early to go play overseas has always seemed like a pretty shortsighted move to me. if the money's there now it'll be there next year, and he'd already have his degree to fall back on plus another year of experience. could even get him into the NBA.

Reaction Score
Both could stand solid years with Bazz in the NBA…….Boat needs to prove he can run the point and shoot it a bit better and DD needs to have a more consistent year where he is showing that skill set he seems to show come tourney time. The fall away jumpers, the post up jump hooks and some more rebounding is what will get him some more money and some guarantees……..for now neither are close no matter how well they did end of year.

DD needs to work the body hard this summer and add………he can have a huge year

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, I was being facetious. But it's true that if Boat does make the NBA, he'd be one of the 5 shortest guys, most likely.

With huge hops. Could be a speedy slot receiver who can go up and get it. Not saying he could make the NFL (he hasn't been playing football) but he has the physical skills of a pro WR. Speed, good hips, good hands, good vert. I'm glad he's been on the basketball court and not the football field, though!

pj

Reaction Score
Under Kevin Ollie is the last time Boat will have the coach working for him. In the pros, you are working for the coach. All anyone wants to know is what you can do for them; they won't sacrifice to help you. Boat still has room to develop further as a point guard in college under Ollie's tutelage. It's a valuable opportunity you can't go back and get again. Boat is young enough that he can have an 11-12 year pro career even if he comes back another year. For Boat it seems to make all the sense to return. But, you have to follow your heart in life. Like KO said, whatever course they choose, they should be fully committed to it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What Daniels can do next year is average 18-8-2 shoot 50% put a few more pounds on and move up to a lottery pick instead of a fringe 1st rounder/2nd rounder
Daniels could be a high lottery pick with a biog year. Ryan needs a lot his actual numbers were the worst of his career--NBA different animal than defending guards for 6 games in a college tourney. Hes a 5-10 guard who plays out of control without a great jumpshot. He has a lot of work to do. He could settle with this is as high as I can get in college--but if so--then take your degree with you!!!! Its free right now. Listen to KO he wont steer u wrong.

I think DD can get better but I don't see him making the lottery. (OK, never say never. I would never count DD out on anything.) Payne is a good comparison: A dominant senior year, NBA body, but still unable to crack the top-15. GMs don't want to draft 22- and 23-year-old guys because they think their ceiling is already defined. DD can move up in the draft and solidify himself as a mid-to-late 1st rounder, and improve his skills which will help him make an impact as a rookie, but I don't think we can see him turn himself into a lottery pick as a senior. Even with 18-8-2. It rarely happens.

Reaction Score
Unless he decided he was in a position to make hundreds of thousands of $ overseas and didn't want to put it off another year.

if that money overseas is there for him then I could understand, but I don't see Boat walking into that kind of money at this point in his career right now. There are still major questions on him as a lead guard that would be brought up at the highest levels of Euro ball where you see that type of money being handed out. Plus the guards overseas are usually the big and physical type, PGs over there are 6'2"-6'3" too.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
leaving college early to go play overseas has always seemed like a pretty shortsighted move to me. if the money's there now it'll be there next year, and he'd already have his degree to fall back on plus another year of experience. could even get him into the NBA.

To play devils advocate....
If he can make $500,000 a year for 8 years (wild guess) why put it off another year and lose a year of earning potential? Wouldn't it be more prudent to go now and bank an extra $500,000? He will have plenty of time and money to finish his last few classes when he's done playing ball

Ps. This scenario is predicated on Ryan making the assumption that he's not likely to make it in the NBA and I'd think that's got to be a difficult one for a strong minded kid who has always dreamed of playing in the league.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I get all the "we don't know his situation!! Ryan needs to do what's best for himself and his family!!" stuff that everyone is always saying, but it would be pretty silly for him to declare this year. He had a great tournament but overall last season he was very inconsistent, and he's obviously not an NBA-sized guard.

I hope Boat has a long career playing professional basketball, but he's the kind of player that should consider a college degree to be extremely important.

Obviously if he goes, you thank him for his contributions and wish him all the best. But he should come back next year.

If he's not an NBA guard like you say, then shouldn't he leave now and start making money in Europe (or wherever) a year earlier? He can always come back and get his degree, but he only has so many years of basketball left.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he can make $500,000 a year for 8 years (wild guess) why put it off another year and lose a year of earning potential? Wouldn't it be more prudent to go now and bank an extra $500,000? He will have plenty of time and money to finish his last few classes when he's done playing ball

Ps. This scenario is predicated on Ryan making the assumption that he's not likely to make it in the NBA and I'd think that's got to be a difficult one for a strong minded kid who has always dreamed of playing in the league.

What's that they say about great minds?

Reaction Score

If he's not an NBA guard like you say, then shouldn't he leave now and start making money in Europe (or wherever) a year earlier? He can always come back and get his degree, but he only has so many years of basketball left.

If there's half a million on the table it's tough to pass up. At the same time, this is the only chance he'll have to be "the guy" on a UConn team, worshiped by 20,000 people on campus, and get the extra media attention that comes with being the defending National Champion. That's tough to pass up too, and a good year could net him more money in the long run.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think Boatright can't make the jump to as high as #20 with a big year next year. Those drafting at the end of the first round are drafting less on potential and more on who can help now. Boatright needs to finish next year as an NBA ready point guard, and he can have a long and very lucrative career as a backup. If he leaves for Europe now, he probably makes much less than $500k next year and basically precludes the chances of him ever making the League.

Reaction Score
I love Boat for his tenacity, heart, toughness. But at his size, the NBA Draft is not what he should be concentrating on. Whether he comes out this year or not, his focus should be on the European market.

Gage his value there, weigh that against another year of development/enjoyment of college, and make your decision.

Like I said i am a HUGE BOATFAN. But i don't see his future in the NBA at his size/skill level. I would love to be proven wrong, but he's just so slightttt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom