Boat signs with the Nets | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boat signs with the Nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
One thing I have learned during my years of watching summer league ball is that no program produces Summer League and D-League talent like Louisville.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Also, WOW has Boatright's 3pt shot improved, incredibly reliable from beyond the arc now. Come to UConn, and get better.

Reaction Score
Not looking too good today. Hopefully he plays better tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Not looking too good today. Hopefully he plays better tomorrow.
I am at work so was unable to watch the game but the box score doesn't look terrible. Seems like he struggle shooting (0-4) but he did contribute in other ways with 4 assists/rebounds and 2 steals. He also had the best +/- on the team.

Reaction Score
I am at work so was unable to watch the game but the box score doesn't look terrible. Seems like he struggle shooting (0-4) but he did contribute in other ways with 4 assists/rebounds and 2 steals. He also had the best +/- on the team.
I watched the game, he had a bit of a hard time getting his shot off against the taller Aaron Harrison, they were guarding each other the whole game (hello 2014 NCAA championship). Conversely, he did a great job guarding Aaron.

The shots Ryan took looked like money but would be halfway down and pop out or back-rim out...just an unlucky day shooting. I think he made a deliberate effort to get his teammates involved and his assist numbers would have been way higher if his teammates could make a shot (which they can't).

Reaction Score
Deron williams trash ass has requested a buy out in an attempt to sign with his hometown mavs . can you believe that. guy gets terrible/ fat, has an obscene contract, now he feels he can make requests... ^ not really a fan of vecenie at all, boatright has been the best player on their summer league team, and he is on a very favorable/movable contract. its also pretty common to carry 3-4 pgs on a roster.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Deron williams trash ass has requested a buy out in an attempt to sign with his hometown mavs . can you believe that. guy gets terrible/ fat, has an obscene contract, now he feels he can make requests... ^ not really a fan of vecenie at all, boatright has been the best player on their summer league team, and he is on a very favorable/movable contract. its also pretty common to carry 3-4 pgs on a roster.

Funniest part is the Nets are more than happy to work with him towards getting him the out of town.

Reaction Score
For a new college grad $75k walking around money is a (relative) fortune. The Nets left themselves options. This cash gives Ryan flexibility as well. It's a good thing. I wouldn't bet against this kid, ever.

Probably isn't even close to 75k. Has to pay taxes, pay his agent a percentage most likely his agent loaned him money for suits/clothes etc whatever boat told him him needed for the draft process and then most likely paid for any training, nutrition, food, travel etc that Ryan is obligated to pay back once he signed/got a contract.

It all comes down to how smart Boat was to keep that loan amount to a minimum throughout the whole process

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably isn't even close to 75k. Has to pay taxes, pay his agent a percentage most likely his agent loaned him money for suits/clothes etc whatever boat told him him needed for the draft process and then most likely paid for any training, nutrition, food, travel etc that Ryan is obligated to pay back once he signed/got a contract.

It all comes down to how smart Boat was to keep that loan amount to a minimum throughout the whole process
Good point. Even if it is 30 cents on the dollar, however, it's a lot cash compared to the relative poverty that most of us endure as students.

Hopefully Boat is getting good advice and hopefully he'll stick somewhere.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Paying taxes and having expenses aren't exactly uncommon to the graduating UConn senior...

Reaction Score
NYDN Nets beatwriter Stefan Bondy also reported yesterday the Nets are unsure about keeping Steve Blake, could open up more room at the PG spot

Reaction Score
Paying taxes and having expenses aren't exactly uncommon to the graduating UConn senior...

Graduating seniors dont pay 3% of their contract to an agent. Most likely they didnt get about a 15-20k loan to cover travel, training, food expenses, clothing, etc whatever they needed to get into peak shape in preparation for the entire draft process. If he went to a special sports training facility; that was paid for by his agent and he will have to pay back the agent for the expenses from going to that place. Rent and living expenses are also covered by the agent to be paid back later.

A lot of people dont realize how much potential draftees are in the red until they sign a contract. Its not uncommon for agents to bankroll clients 10s of thousands of dollars before they are even drafted and the player is responsible to pay back those loans when they sign or if they dont sign they are still obligated to pay back those loans just like college students student loans.

Thats why I said I hope Boat was smart enough to keep his loan amount to a minimum. After taxes he is looking at about 52k take home and thats before he pays his agent fees and any loans he may have taken from his agent. If he took a 15k loan from his agent after taxes, paying the 3% and paying back the loan thats only about 35k at the end of the day.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Boat sticks, he is not making $75,000, right?

Reaction Score
If Boat sticks, he is not making $75,000, right?
Correct. he signed a 2 yr. 1.4M contract contingent on him making the squad. We're just talking guaranteed money.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Graduating seniors dont pay 3% of their contract to an agent.
To be fair, a good portion of graduating seniors are placed by staffing firms who take way more than 3%. Just because they never see that money doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom