OT: - Bill Belichick Retiring after season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Belichick Retiring after season

Reaction Score
Well, funny how without Brady those schemes haven't really amounted to much success as a head coach. This is both before and post Brady.

Thwy were great together, but the debate of if it was the coach or the quarterback, has been soundly settled.
He was smart enough to draft Brady when no one else would or he just got lucky.

Reaction Score
Belichick makes an ungodly amount of money. It's doubtful he'd leave that on the table, leave willingly, and then on top of that, strap his new team down with a huge contract AND also take away players or draft picks from the new team. I have no idea why he'd willingly make things hard on himself.
So, they let him walk away for nothing. He continues to get paid on his contract. The Pats now have to find a head coach, pretty much the entire coaching staff and a QB.....and Belichick becomes a FA and gets another massive contract to play against the Pats?

Reaction Score
So, they let him walk away for nothing. He continues to get paid on his contract. The Pats now have to find a head coach, pretty much the entire coaching staff and a QB.....and Belichick becomes a FA and gets another massive contract to play against the Pats?
Can you please take this to the Pro Sports Board

Reaction Score
They will fire him and subsidize him for 1 year. His new team will hire him, but the Patriots will pay the salary.

Reaction Score
Nobody pushed Tom out. Tom wanted to go. Kraft reportedly did not want to offer Tom more than a one year deal, which makes sense for a QB over 40. If Tom stayed, nothing would have been different really. The team was old and slow at that point, and there was a lot of dead cap money.
^^^ this.

Reaction Score
The defense is competitive now. I disagree on the offense. Stevenson is very good. Hunter Henry is very good. The offensive line is dreadful. They need two tackles. They need almost an entirely new receiving corps. I like Douglas as a role player. They also will need another TE, preferably one that can block and contribute in the passing game. Drafting Harry over AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Deebo Samuel still haunts this roster. As does taking Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel over Lamar Jackson.
The offensive line has been playing great for the second half of the season. What changed? 2 key starters came back in Onwenu and Strange. That solidified the line. The Steelers, who are sack machines, were not getting much pressure on Zappe. That's been true for the last several games. The running game was popping big holes for Stevenson and they were getting 150+ yards.

BTW, people tend to forget that in that draft with Harry (which was 7 years ago at this point) there were 6 WRs selected between Harry and Metcalf. 4 of them were busts: Arcega, Isabella, Campbell, Hardman. Just because you avoided Harry doesn't mean you would have hit on another.

The Patriots need to expend more picks on WRs because most of them don't do very well, even in the first round. Think of guys like Treylon Burks, Quentin Johnston, Jackson Smith Njigba. Half of the 1st rounders don't produce. To assure yourself a top WR you need to keep taking them over and over.

Reaction Score
Well, funny how without Brady those schemes haven't really amounted to much success as a head coach. This is both before and post Brady.

Thwy were great together, but the debate of if it was the coach or the quarterback, has been soundly settled.
It's the horrible QBs they've had the last several years. Newton and Mac.

Think about this: those schemes were good enough to allow Cassell, Brissett and Garoppolo to go a combined 14-6.

Reaction Score
They will fire him and subsidize him for 1 year. His new team will hire him, but the Patriots will pay the salary.
The details I could find said his extension prior to the 2023 season was "lucrative" and "long term". Estimates in the 17m-25m a year range.

I don't think he'll be "fired" and I don't see him giving up any money. So I guess it's up to what "long term" means as far as how much the Pats are giving up.

Reaction Score

Think about this: those schemes were good enough to allow Cassell, Brissett and Garoppolo to go a combined 14-6.
Cassell had 21 TDs and 11 INTs and had Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw to. Moss had 11 of those TDs. So I think you're reaching to say it was the schemes.

Reaction Score

Better receivers. Alligator arms and stone hands.

Reaction Score
Cassell had 21 TDs and 11 INTs and had Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw to. Moss had 11 of those TDs. So I think you're reaching to say it was the schemes.
Cassell also missed the playoffs. How many times did Brady miss the playoffs all those years?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've heard that BB said he's not leaving any money on the table. And I believe him. He's not going to negotiate leaving. His attitude will be "screw you" pay me.

Reaction Score
Mac and all the injuries killed Bill. Coach never professed to be a motivator, and never allowed any one player to get all the accolades. He recruited captains of teams....smart players.....no show boats.....too smart for the league or today's players.
The stories and respect he has about Lawrence Taylor is all I need to hear about one of the greatest defensive minds and having coached the greatest defensive player and offensive player.

Reaction Score
Cassell also missed the playoffs. How many times did Brady miss the playoffs all those years?
Missed it on a tiebreaker after going 11-5. But certainly it showed just how valuable TB12 was.

Reaction Score
The details I could find said his extension prior to the 2023 season was "lucrative" and "long term". Estimates in the 17m-25m a year range.

I don't think he'll be "fired" and I don't see him giving up any money. So I guess it's up to what "long term" means as far as how much the Pats are giving up.
It's one more year. That's it

Reaction Score
Better receivers. Alligator arms and stone hands.
I really think Mac is that bad.

As for Brissett and Garoppolo, the WRs were Edelman, Hogan and Amendola (Gronk was hurt). Those 3 are good WRs, but not All-Pros.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it was the schemes that made Brady great. I'm a Brady fan.
The comment was made that there was no success with the schemes outside of Brady.
These are two entirely different things.

Reaction Score
That's a bad take. How often was 11-5 not good enough?
They actually went 10-6 with Brady the next year.

What people miss about this period is that the Patriots were transitioning and rebuilding. But because of Brady, they didn't suffer. They still had decent records.

But they did lose Faulk, Moss, Watson, Light, Ty Warren, Vrabel, Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Samuel, etc. They had a great rebuild on the fly and only missed 3 years of making it to the championship game

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Cleveland was trending up, made the playoffs, even beat Parcells in New England. The whole team disintegrated after Modell announced he was moving them to Baltimore in the middle of the night.

The Patriots were 6-10 in 1995, then Belichick arrives and takes over the defense, and they go to the Super Bowl the very next year.

He moves on to take over the Jets' defense, they were just abysmal, and by the second year, they are in the AFCCG.

In that first year, Brady was not the guy he became later on. Look at the postseason. A lot of the Patriot points came off turnovers and special teams, the defense shut down the Greatest Show on turf. Heck, even in the championship game, the defense was largely credited with the win, and Brady wasn't even the QB for that game. It was Bledsoe.

I give Brady all the credit for the following years, even though the 2003 and 2004 defense was lights out.

He was key in the Seattle Super Bowl.

In the last one against the Rams, they gave up 3 points. I just checked to see where those Rams were. They scored the 11th most points in NFL history at the time. The Patriots D gave up 3 points.

This doesn't really matter a great deal to me since I'm a huge Brady fan, but IF I had to split the Super Bowl credit between them, I'd say Brady is responsible for 4 wins, Belichick for 2 wins.

People also need to realize what happened to the Patriots in 2020. They unwound the team, they took huge deadcap hits from the previous seasons, and 13 key starters left the team, mostly because they were old and at the end of their careers. Look at all the players who are gone: Edelman, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty, Chung, Gilmore, James White, Van Noy, Collins, Flowers, Thuney, Mason, Cannon, Harmon, the good JC Jackson, Gostkowski, Elandon Roberts. You can't lose this many veterans, many of them Pro Bowlers, and continue winning.

They did a total reset, a total rebuild. The only player who was mistakenly let go out of all of these is Thuney. The rest are out of football.

It's a brand new team, and it's mostly been rebuilt the proper way. They need a decent QB, not an all-time great HOFer or even an All-Pro.
Gilmore? Still playing great with Dallas. McCourty didn't leave then, either did White.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it was the schemes that made Brady great. I'm a Brady fan.
The comment was made that there was no success with the schemes outside of Brady.
These are two entirely different things.
And I’m saying Cassels year was not successful because of schemes. It was because he had Randy Moss to throw to.

Reaction Score
To be fair, the article says nothing about Belichick retiring. That was an assumption by the OP.

I thought for sure he'd be leaving on his terms.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's actually preparing for KC. That's all we really know

Until Kraft or Belichick reveal something, it's all poppycock

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members