OT: - Bill Belichick Retiring after season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Belichick Retiring after season

Reaction Score
Another bonus of the Brady era. Taking less to so they could put a better supporting cast around him. Like Ohtani deferring money early in the contract. Not many guys willing to do that.
Heard an interesting take on the Ohtani $$...He makes 50M from endorsements so he doesn't need it...He would rather get the salary once he is retired and not living in CA, thus saving all the state tax.

Reaction Score
What choice do they have?

When you fire someone, you fire them.
They didn’t say he was being fired. They’re mutually agreeing on parting ways. Why wouldn’t BB give them a list of teams he’d go to in a trade?

Reaction Score
It wasn't him, it was LT...how lucky can one guy get? :rolleyes: Goat QB and Goat LB...
True but you can probably say that about every guy who is considered an all-time great coach in sports. Phil is probably just Bill Fitch with an annoying Zen Master shtick if he didn't have Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq. Popovich is going for his 18th straight loss now.

Reaction Score
The first thing they did when took ownership was run the Tuna out of town for Pete Carroll. They got lucky with Belichick. What are the chances they get that lucky again? I say none. Jon runs the Revolution, the very definition of consistent mediocrity. That's the Pat's future.
I'm sure they've learned since running Parcells off.

Like all sports teams there are ups and downs. As I tell my sons, teams don't usually go almost 20 seasons in a row being good. They're in a down period now. I predict they will be good again at some point in the near future with the Krafts owning the team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Speculation of the beat writer in Boston most hostile to Belichick and ownership. Curran is to the Patriots what Mike DiMauro is to UConn basketball.

I am sure something will happen. Kraft will force some changes in personnel management if not coaching. That's just common sense.

Reaction Score
Speculation of the beat writer in Boston most hostile to Belichick and ownership. Curran is to the Patriots what Mike DiMauro is to UConn basketball.

I am sure something will happen. Kraft will force some changes in personnel management if not coaching. That's just common sense.
Imo it’s an impossible job to coach an NFL team and have a major or the biggest say on personnel and drafting. You simply can’t be an expert on draft eligible college players while devoting 80-120 hours a week as an NFL head coach. The Patriots had their highest amount of success when Pioli ran personnel and Belichick coached. Many coaches that have a great deal of success coaching want to take on the personnel duties too. Few do it at the highest level for very long, let alone at 70 years old. The Patriots drafts have been highly underwhelming for several years now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not even close. DiMauro is a troll, Curran is a newsman. Pats fans demand total obsequiousness that he does not provide.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Imo it’s an impossible job to coach an NFL team and have a major or the biggest say on personnel and drafting. You simply can’t be an expert on draft eligible college players while devoting 80-120 hours a week as an NFL head coach. The Patriots had their highest amount of success when Pioli ran personnel and Belichick coached. Many coaches that have a great deal of success coaching want to take on the personnel duties too. Few do it at the highest level for very long, let alone at 70 years old. The Patriots drafts have been highly underwhelming for several years now.
They do still have other people doing that for Bill. I just don't think they are as good as Pioli and Casserio were. I do like the coach-GM combination because I think some teams have big problems when the coach wants players with certain skill sets and the GM isn't on the same page. But there need to be really good people doing the scouting and evaluation work.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not even close. DiMauro is a troll, Curran is a newsman. Pats fans demand total obsequiousness that he does not provide.
Curran is a hostile troll who complains even when everything goes right. He doesn't have any sources because nobody in the organization likes him. Mike Reiss has sources (and is a really nice guy).

Reaction Score
They do still have other people doing that for Bill. I just don't think they are as good as Pioli and Casserio were. I do like the coach-GM combination because I think some teams have big problems when the coach wants players with certain skill sets and the GM isn't on the same page. But there need to be really good people doing the scouting and evaluation work.
In title yes, but most believe that final calls and authority rests with Bill on personnel decisions. That’s why TB12 was pushed out, and why Kraft is likely still upset that he sided with Bill to allow that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In title yes, but most believe that final calls and authority rests with Bill on personnel decisions. That’s why TB12 was pushed out, and why Kraft is likely still upset that he sided with Bill to allow that.
Nobody pushed Tom out. Tom wanted to go. Kraft reportedly did not want to offer Tom more than a one year deal, which makes sense for a QB over 40. If Tom stayed, nothing would have been different really. The team was old and slow at that point, and there was a lot of dead cap money.

Reaction Score
Nobody pushed Tom out. Tom wanted to go. Kraft reportedly did not want to offer Tom more than a one year deal, which makes sense for a QB over 40. If Tom stayed, nothing would have been different really. The team was old and slow at that point, and there was a lot of dead cap money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Curran is a hostile troll who complains even when everything goes right. He doesn't have any sources because nobody in the organization likes him. Mike Reiss has sources (and is a really nice guy).
I think you just proved my point.

Reaction Score
Who are the not great QBs that won them? Dilfer? Boller? Brad Johnson?

A lot easier to build a team around a great QB than bring in an average QB to a "loaded team" and win.
It's hard enough getting there.

Here's a list: Foles, Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Flacco, Garoppolo, Goff, Kaepernick, Grossman, Hasselbeck, Delhomme, Collins, Chandler, O'Donnell, Humphries, Rypien, Hostettler. I have my doubts about a few more of them, but I'd say there are a lot of average QBs that get to the big game.

Reaction Score
It wasn't just that Brady was so good, he was good and worked cheap. Allowing the team to invest in other areas giving them a heads up. Maybe the big difference between Brady and Peyton back in the day was that Brady left money on the table that resulted in a stronger team. Not that I agree with players leaving money on the table, but where you going to find another situation like that again?
He did the same with Tampa. Moneywise, it was the same as the Patriot contract, $25m.

Reaction Score
They didn’t say he was being fired. They’re mutually agreeing on parting ways. Why wouldn’t BB give them a list of teams he’d go to in a trade?
Belichick makes an ungodly amount of money. It's doubtful he'd leave that on the table, leave willingly, and then on top of that, strap his new team down with a huge contract AND also take away players or draft picks from the new team. I have no idea why he'd willingly make things hard on himself.

Reaction Score
As underwhelming as they are, they have a lot of really good players. They are missing a QB, a WR and a LT. Those are 3 prime positions difficult to find guys in, but that explains their record.

People that think this team is talentless might not realize the investment they've made in the OL/TEs outside of tackle, and they've found/invested in a bunch of 2nd/3rd type WRs.

But on the defensive side they are young, a lot of talent. Barmore, Gonzalez, Dugger, Jennings, Peppers, Marcus Jones, Keion White; and then they have a bunch of solid midcareer guys like Tavai, Godchaux, Bentley, Jon Jones, Mills and Phillips.

Reaction Score
As underwhelming as they are, they have a lot of really good players. They are missing a QB, a WR and a LT. Those are 3 prime positions difficult to find guys in, but that explains their record.

People that think this team is talentless might not realize the investment they've made in the OL outside of tackle and TEs, and a bunch of 2nd/3rd type WRs.

But on the defensive side they are young, a lot of talent. Barmore, Gonzalez, Dugger, Jennings, Peppers, Marcus Jones, Keion White; and then they have a bunch of solid midcareer guys like Tavai, Godchaux, Bentley, Jon Jones, Mills and Phillips.
The defense is competitive now. I disagree on the offense. Stevenson is very good. Hunter Henry is very good. The offensive line is dreadful. They need two tackles. They need almost an entirely new receiving corps. I like Douglas as a role player. They also will need another TE, preferably one that can block and contribute in the passing game. Drafting Harry over AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Deebo Samuel still haunts this roster. As does taking Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel over Lamar Jackson.

Reaction Score
The defense is competitive now. I disagree on the offense. Stevenson is very good. Hunter Henry is very good. The offensive line is dreadful. They need two tackles. They need almost an entirely new receiving corps. I like Douglas as a role player. They also will need another TE, preferably one that can block and contribute in the passing game. Drafting Harry over AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Deebo Samuel still haunts this roster. As does taking Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel over Lamar Jackson.

Yeah I don't know how anyone can take a sanguine view of the offense. It's horrendous. The defense is actually quite good even without Gonzalez and Judon for most of the season.

For the record, I don't necessarily buy this notion that they made a decision after the Germany game - a truly horrific loss. I'll believe that he's done when he's not on the sideline week one next year. (That being said, I can't imagine Belichick relinquishing control - or even accommodating shared control - of personnel decisions. And their drafting / roster construction has been absolutely brutal. So we're at an impasse and something's gotta give.)

Reaction Score
Well, funny how without Brady those schemes haven't really amounted to much success as a head coach. This is both before and post Brady.

Thwy were great together, but the debate of if it was the coach or the quarterback, has been soundly settled.
Agreed. Crazy how when your offense keeps the opposing defense on the field for lengthy periods that you defense gets better. It could be argued that by keeping the opposing offense off the field, that Brady was also the Pats best defensive player.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't know how anyone can take a sanguine view of the offense. It's horrendous. The defense is actually quite good even without Gonzalez and Judon for most of the season.

For the record, I don't necessarily buy this notion that they made a decision after the Germany game - a truly horrific loss. I'll believe that he's done when he's not on the sideline week one next year. (That being said, I can't imagine Belichick relinquishing control - or even accommodating shared control - of personnel decisions. And their drafting / roster construction has been absolutely brutal. So we're at an impasse and something's gotta give.)
I think González and White were home run picks. And Mapu has a lot of potential. I’d Mayo becomes the head coach and the front office can do a good job evaluating players, they can be greatly improved in a year or two with the cap room they’ll have. They’ve had issues with dead cap money in recent years. That hurts trams badly. I personally wish they had paid Jakobi Meyers over Juju. And the three cone drill evaluation tool for pass catchers needs to go lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom