OT: - Bill Belichick Retiring after season | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Belichick Retiring after season

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
All the talk about him wanting to leave and coach San Diego or elsewhere was crazy. The guy's 70. Coaching is very demanding and stressful. What senior needs that in their golden years? Show me someone who wants to work a real job in their 70s, and I'll show you someone who has no other life, hates their life or is married and wants to get away from their spouse.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Queue the Belichick was nothing without Brady discussion ;)
Well, if you are telling me it was Brady who drew up those defensive schemes that stymied Peyton Freaking Manning oh so many times, then yeah, Belichick was nothing without Brady. Otherwise, Belichick was nothing without Vinateri or Gostowski. Which, obviously, was Bill's best innovation, the elevation of talent on special teams in order to field a superior team.

And retiring, yeah, it was probably Jonathan saying we're gonna let you go, so if instead you retire and not create a bunch of noise, we'll give you a nice gift.

Reaction Score
All the talk about him wanting to leave and coach San Diego or elsewhere was crazy. The guy's 70. Coaching is very demanding and stressful. What senior needs that in their golden years? Show me someone who wants to work a real job in their 70s, and I'll show you someone who has no other life, hates their life or is married and wants to get away from their spouse.

Counterpoint: it's not a real job, as he has said a thousand times. Other than fishing off Nantucket I'm not sure there is anything on earth he likes as much as football.

Reaction Score
The U.S. Sun? Yeah O.K. Where does it say in the article he's retiring at the end of the season? He'll probably be gone from the Patriots at the end of the season but I don't think he'll retire. He wants to pass Shula for the most wins as a head coach.

There's this in the the article:

Having led the Patriots to a 3-10 record so far in 2023, it seems that the legendary head coach could see his tenure in Foxboro end with back-to-back losing seasons.

Could? Yeah everyone knows that.

Then this:

Bill Belichick's tenure with the New England Patriots could reportedly come to an end this coming offseason

Could again? Is he or is he not leaving the Patriots? Stupid article with bad reporting.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Academics are the only ones that refuse to retire, and mostly because it's often the case they are doing what they love and so it isn't work to them. It is a problem though, and similar to this Belichick situation: they like to continue doing the same stuff that made them famous. Things, as in everything, changes, what worked 20 years ago may still work in some circumstances but it doesn't have the same effectiveness or efficiency.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Well, if you are telling me it was Brady who drew up those defensive schemes that stymied Peyton Freaking Manning oh so many times, then yeah, Belichick was nothing without Brady. Otherwise, Belichick was nothing without Vinateri or Gostowski. Which, obviously, was Bill's best innovation, the elevation of talent on special teams in order to field a superior team.

And retiring, yeah, it was probably Jonathan saying we're gonna let you go, so if instead you retire and not create a bunch of noise, we'll give you a nice gift.
And then Eli showed up....

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
And then Eli showed up....
He had help from those guys on the D-line too. Didn't hurt that Lady Luck hung around either.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Fond memories of him with Tuna and the Giants where he was a defensive coordinator and helped the rebuilding of the team. Letting both him and Tuna get away tells you something about the Giants.

Reaction Score

Well, funny how without Brady those schemes haven't really amounted to much success as a head coach. This is both before and post Brady.

Thwy were great together, but the debate of if it was the coach or the quarterback, has been soundly settled.

Reaction Score
Academics are the only ones that refuse to retire, and mostly because it's often the case they are doing what they love and so it isn't work to them. It is a problem though, and similar to this Belichick situation: they like to continue doing the same stuff that made them famous. Things, as in everything, changes, what worked 20 years ago may still work in some circumstances but it doesn't have the same effectiveness or efficiency.
Maybe it also has to do with not beginning in their jobs until their 30s?

Reaction Score
Well, funny how without Brady those schemes haven't really amounted to much success as a head coach. This is both before and post Brady.

Thwy were great together, but the debate of if it was the coach or the quarterback, has been soundly settled.
They are going through a rebuild which failed because of a dud QB.

I can give so many examples countering the idea that he didn't improve teams with those schemes. Just look at the 4 teams he was with prior to the Patriots in 2000.

But also look at some of the championships. Look at the 1st one when Brady was not yet a top QB. Look at the last one when they held a top 10 offense in NFL history to 3 points.

Reaction Score
They are going through a rebuild which failed because of a dud QB.

I can give so many examples countering the idea that he didn't improve teams with those schemes. Just look at the 4 teams he was with prior to the Patriots in 2000.

But also look at some of the championships. Look at the 1st one when Brady was not yet a top QB. Look at the last one when they held a top 10 offense in NFL history to 3 points.
Again, what did he do in Cleveland pre Brady, and New England pre and post Brady? He is great. But i counter all his game plans were complimented by having Brady, who could outscore teams, or dink and dunk teams and play ball control. Then Brady leaves and wins another one while the Pats rebuild has been as you said a dud, because Tom Brady isn't easily replaced.

Reaction Score
During the Army/Navy game they interviewed Belichick. That was an unusual interview since Bill seemed human taking about his love and respect for the Naval Academy. Normally, he never gave much information about the Patriots except for a few grunts when questioned.

"Two Pros and a Cup of Coffee" were talking about him getting another coaching gig but his days with the Patriots are over.

Reaction Score
Again, what did he do in Cleveland pre Brady, and New England pre and post Brady? He is great. But i counter all his game plans were complimented by having Brady, who could outscore teams, or dink and dunk teams and play ball control. Then Brady leaves and wins another one while the Pats rebuild has been as you said a dud, because Tom Brady isn't easily replaced.
I mean how many coaches have done anything close to what Belichick has done without a great QB? What coach would win anything in this AFC with a QB as dismal as Mac Jones? The only real criticism of Belichick is his drafting, and what’s happened now that he has finally ran out of talented offensive position coaches and coordinators; I think it’s understated what he did in the setting of his coaches constantly being picked off by other programs.

It’s without question Brady rode multiple great Pats defenses to championships; and even as he became a great QB in his own right, he always had a stellar defense. I think at most, overall, it’s 65/35Brady/Belichick, because Brady instilled Belichick’s “Patriot away”, took Belichick’s crap as an example for how the rest of the team should hold themselves, and took less money to help the roster. And of course he did make the throws. That culture clearly fell off when Brady left, because he was the on-the-field Belichick. Who’s going to care about Mac Jones barking at them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No where in that article (or any one with the Curran text) is there a mention of retirement.

A) I’d be amazed he goes out on such an awful season.

B) I’d be very surprised if the Pats just let him walk and didn’t trade him to someone for a pick or two. Why just let him walk away under contract?

Reaction Score
All of this information was reported Monday by Tom E. Curran of NBCSports Boston.

When I saw the subject of the thread here I was expecting new information about Belichick retiring. That wasn't in the article from The U.S. Sun that was posted in the OP. The article was just a tertiary newspaper picking up this report 24+ hours later. With the way news travels these days I was expecting something new but it wasn't. So I was just looking at it as recycled news.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The U.S. Sun? Yeah O.K. Where does it say in the article he's retiring at the end of the season? He'll probably be gone from the Patriots at the end of the season but I don't think he'll retire. He wants to pass Shula for the most wins as a head coach.

There's this in the the article:

Having led the Patriots to a 3-10 record so far in 2023, it seems that the legendary head coach could see his tenure in Foxboro end with back-to-back losing seasons.

Could? Yeah everyone knows that.

Then this:

Bill Belichick's tenure with the New England Patriots could reportedly come to an end this coming offseason

Could again? Is he or is he not leaving the Patriots? Stupid article with bad reporting.

To be fair, the article says nothing about Belichick retiring. That was an assumption by the OP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom