Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Right or wrong, the national perception of UConn football isn't "solid program that hired a few bad coaches in a row," it's "bad program that had a few good years sprinkled in." 2004 and 2007-2010 were strong years and gave the program great momentum, but realistically that's only 5 seasons of relevance in the last two decades, and the last relevant season was 13 years ago.
But, that good period coincided with time in a BCS football conference.

The reality is that the majority of B12 schools are only just middling in football, and that's a level that UConn can get to in short order.

Reaction Score
Can somebody please explain to me who the wants Duke and why? UConn is clearly a better add than Duke.

I mean no disrespect to Duke. I like and admire them. I'm speaking purely from a business perspective.

Duke’s largest leverage is their supposed ties to UNC, as well as they could likely fit in either the SEC or B10. But they aren’t in the top 5 of desired ACC programs, so it would likely take some luck.

Reaction Score
Right now...Duke's BB 2023 class is ranked #2 by On3...#2 by 247....#2 by Rivals...

They have a chance to build a decent team...

Reaction Score
Right now...Duke's BB 2023 class is ranked #2 by On3...#2 by 247....#2 by Rivals...

They have a chance to build a decent team...
If you cant build a decent team with that, you have coaching problems. On the other hand, if it was that simple to become a great team, Kentucky would have more than 1 title in the last 20 odd years.

Reaction Score
ESPN has contract obligations to pay X amount, increasing over time....If there is no longer an ACC as an entity to lease sports media to ESPN, there would be no longer any contract obligations either way.
You are repeating yourself with no new evidence or even theory. I would point out, then, that you don't know that ESPN wasn't granted the rights to televise FSU's games for the next dozen or so years whether or not it is in the ACC and whether or not there is an ACC. And, in the absence of any knowledge either way, it makes far more sense that ESPN would have wanted the protection I am hypothesizing.

Reaction Score
Your hypothesizing....may not be any better than mine....I do know that FSU has no contract with ESPN granting games...the ACC is the only entity with that contract....

The league typically receives and then distributes the media-rights revenues to member schools. In a hypothetical case, Jordan said, the ACC would keep the revenue for a team's home football game as the rights holder even if that team was playing in another league, then divide the departed school's amount among the remaining ACC schools.

But if the ACC is dissolved ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are repeating yourself with no new evidence or even theory. I would point out, then, that you don't know that ESPN wasn't granted the rights to televise FSU's games for the next dozen or so years whether or not it is in the ACC and whether or not there is an ACC. And, in the absence of any knowledge either way, it makes far more sense that ESPN would have wanted the protection I am hypothesizing.
This is a college basketball message board, not a brief

Reaction Score
Why is basketball so undervalued in all of this? Duke is an incredible brand. You have way more games in college basketball than football, the tournament is a part of the cultural fabric of the country and is probably the most highly bet on thing there is. I get that college football is a big deal but it's only 12 regular season games and then a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Duke's Cameron Crazies make for TV pageantry...

2023 season...Top Ten most watched regular season games on ESPN/ABC

Duke...was #1...#2...#7...
UConn vs Duke would be top 5.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Why is basketball so undervalued in all of this? Duke is an incredible brand. You have way more games in college basketball than football, the tournament is a part of the cultural fabric of the country and is probably the most highly bet on thing there is. I get that college football is a big deal but it's only 12 regular season games and then a bowl game.
There’s talk that when the next NCAA tournament contract Is negotiated they might start and end the basketball season a 2-3 weeks later so there’s not as much overlap with football. That may be a way to get more TV money for the conferences.

Reaction Score

Because the football regular season draws so many more eyeballs than basketball regular season.....last season there were 76 regular season games that drew 3.0 million or more...

Reaction Score
There’s talk that when the next NCAA tournament contract Is negotiated they might start and end the basketball season a 2-3 weeks later so there’s not as much overlap with football. That may be a way to get more TV money for the conferences.
I like that idea. I hate when football and basketball end. Stretch it out.

Reaction Score

Because foOtBaLl dRivEs tEh bUs.

At least that’s what the toothless redneck gomers CSNBBS say.

Reaction Score
Football is more valuable than basketball because more people care and watch, but that's not why basketball is undervalued. Basketball is undervalued because, for purely historical reasons, conferences with members who participate keep all of the post season bowl and post season television monies from the college football post-season, while post-season revenues from college basketball are used to fund NCAA operations and provide funding to lower level programs before the remaining monies are divided up among the schools playing in the games. If college football participated in these other payments proportionately with college basketball based on the gross revenues of the respective post-seasons, conferences and schools would make much more from college basketball success and something less from college football success, college basketball success would be valued more and thus college basketball would be fairly valued and not undervalued. And UConn would never have been left without a P-5 home.

Reaction Score
Because foOtBaLl dRivEs tEh bUs.

At least that’s what the toothless redneck gomers CSNBBS say.

Actually...so say the bean counters at ESPN, ABC, etc...hell, Gonzaga, Nova, and UConn would be paid more if the media valued BB more.

The Big 12 commissioner wants to gamble on BB being valued more in the future...maybe he will roll the dice,,,he has been rattleing rhem in his hand.

Reaction Score
Because the football regular season draws so many more eyeballs than basketball regular season.....last season there were 76 regular season games that drew 3.0 million or more...
Yes but Michigan State Marquette in the second round got more viewers than every regular season football game and every bowl game outside of the 4 team playoff. I get that football gets great ratings but it's so many less regular season games and 20+ less tournament/bowl games.

Reaction Score
Football is more valuable than basketball because more people care and watch, but that's not why basketball is undervalued. Basketball is undervalued because, for purely historical reasons, conferences with members who participate keep all of the post season bowl and post season television monies from the college football post-season, while post-season revenues from college basketball are used to fund NCAA operations and provide funding to lower level programs before the remaining monies are divided up among the schools playing in the games. If college football participated in these other payments proportionately with college basketball based on the gross revenues of the respective post-seasons, conferences and schools would make much more from college basketball success and something less from college football success, college basketball success would be valued more and thus college basketball would be fairly valued and not undervalued. And UConn would never have been left without a P-5 home.
I've never understood why men's college basketball carries the burden for college sports.

Reaction Score
Regardless of payout, of which the NCAA pays out 60% of tournament revenue, the NCAA tournament with 67 games makes a little more than a billion dollars. The 3 game college football playoff makes $500 million, and when they go to the 12 team, 11 game version, it will be around 2 billion dollars. That doesn't include all the bowl games. Regular season, the disparity between the two is even higher. Football makes multiples of what basketball does.

If the NCAA paid out the entire tournament revenue, it would cover basically the disparity in revenue between the sports for the top 5 teams. Just Texas itself would east up a quarter of the added payments. Texas makes 125 million in football and 20 million in basketball.

Reaction Score
Yes but Michigan State Marquette in the second round got more viewers than every regular season football game and every bowl game outside of the 4 team playoff. I get that football gets great ratings but it's so many less regular season games and 20+ less tournament/bowl games.

MSU-Marquette in the tourney had 10.91 viewers...big game.

Sunday’s Michigan State-Marquette NCAA men’s basketball tournament second round game averaged a 5.9 rating and 10.91 million viewers on CBS, down 5% in ratings and 3% in viewership from a higher-profile Michigan State-Duke game last year (6.2, 11.22M). As is typical of the late Sunday window on CBS, the game ranks as the most-watched of the tournament thus far.

Check your data,,

Ohio State-Michigan football had 17,4....Tenn-Georgia had 13,6...Bama-Tenn had 11.56,,,Bama-Texas had 10.6...Notre Dame-OSU had 10.53

Reaction Score
I feel the exact same way about the Super Bowl vs. every other major sport. Football has the softest championship of any sport. The Stanley Cup Finals blow the super bowl away. I think it all started with George Carlin.

I guess knowing the college championship will most likely come from a couple handfuls of programs from the south is somehow more exciting than a field of 68 from all over the country.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The issue is that it’s not guaranteed every year. Michigan-OSU is an every year event. They are purchasing that game with the package. That game alone pulled in over 17 million viewers last year. The Iron Bowl is guaranteed. Red River is guaranteed. Next year, PSU and USC will be guaranteed every year. These are/will be huge viewership draws. Personally, I think basketball should have a higher value, but it doesn’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom