Big 12 expansion - maybe not. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 expansion - maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
From a 'friend' -

No expansion, no real interest in a championship game right now. It's not that there is no support for expansion, there's just not enough right now.

They'll go through a couple of years of the playoff process before they commit in either direction.

The problems....the television contract, Texas and the commissioner.

Heard Texas wants no part of it and so it won't happen.

The Big East could have taken down the Big 12 if they had a commissioner that could see that basketball wasn't running the ship and hadn't for a while.

Reaction Score
Well, the CR board re-animated for a couple of days. Guess we can go back to sleep now...

945071_4982131906267_1288582494_n.jpg

Reaction Score
From Buckeye Banter: http://buckeyebanter.com/?p=30436

At this time, the Big 12 only has 10 members, thus can’t hold a championship game. The Big 12 can petition the NCAA, or it can expand to the required 12 teams. But one thing’s for sure, the Big 12’s mantra of “One True Champion” backfired. Instead of getting at least one Big 12 team in the playoffs, the conference was left outside looking in.

The problem is, the list of Big 12 expansion candidates is not impressive. They include BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Boise State and UCF.

Reaction Score
That's a great article, short and concise. The point of the article is that the Big 10 needs to invite Texas and Oklahoma. The last sentence:
"The last wave of Big Ten expansion helped bring the conference to the East Coast and those major television markets. Now it’s time for the Big Ten to strengthen the league on the gridiron."

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That's a great article, short and concise. The point of the article is that the Big 10 needs to invite Texas and Oklahoma. The last sentence:
"The last wave of Big Ten expansion helped bring the conference to the East Coast and those major television markets. Now it’s time for the Big Ten to strengthen the league on the gridiron."
It makes me think we should be rooting hard for the Buckeyes.

Reaction Score
It makes me think we should be rooting hard for the Buckeyes.

Never make a deal with the devil... ;)

Thing is, I think there would need to be a soft landing for the rest of the Big 12 before the leaders of the Big 10 would have a hand in breaking it apart.

Reaction Score
Never make a deal with the devil... ;)

Thing is, I think there would need to be a soft landing for the rest of the Big 12 before the leaders of the Big 10 would have a hand in breaking it apart.
Compassionate CR ,now there is a oxymoron.

Reaction Score
Great, we're headed onward and upward in B1G ways. ;)
I don't see the name of UConn mentioned in this article so I don't know where you come up with this based on the article. I hope your statement comes true. However, if Texas and Oklahoma were to go to the B1G and the B12 then needed to add 4 teams, then UConn to the B12 would be a possibility.

Reaction Score
I don't see the name of UConn mentioned in this article so I don't know where you come up with this based on the article.
Don't ever let anyone accuse you of being one of the sharpest knifes in the set. I jest, but ...

Reaction Score
Compassionate CR ,now there is a oxymoron.

SEC took 2 Big 12 schools when it looked like the conference might cave. On the other hand, Mizzou had been begging to join the Big Ten, but only Nebraska got the nod.

My little theory serves UConn well.

But then there's the "contiguous, AAU, has red in the school colors part"...

Reaction Score
I don't see the name of UConn mentioned in this article so I don't know where you come up with this based on the article. I hope your statement comes true. However, if Texas and Oklahoma were to go to the B1G and the B12 then needed to add 4 teams, then UConn to the B12 would be a possibility.
If Texas and Oklahoma bolted, the Big 12 disintegrates and the scraps are scrambling. It would certainly not be a Power conference whether they invited some AAC and MWC programs or vice-versa. The rest of that conference is playing with fire.

Reaction Score
It would be tough for any conference to add Texas, they want to be the big fish.

pj

Reaction Score
It would be tough for any conference to add Texas, they want to be the big fish.

Texas now gets about $40 mn per year from B12 + Longhorn network. That's not going up. B1G and SEC will soon both be matching or exceeding that. Texas won't like having Texas A&M in their own state out-earning them. They will consider their options. Equality at the top level of college athletics might be more attractive to them than being top dog in a second-tier conference, especially if that is unstable -- and it is, having lost Colorado, Texas, Missouri, and A&M already, and Kansas and Oklahoma next to leave.

Options they would explore: B1G, SEC, a B12-like deal with the Pac where they keep the LHN, or a Notre Dame like deal with the ACC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Texas now gets about $40 mn per year from B12 + Longhorn network. That's not going up. B1G and SEC will soon both be matching or exceeding that. Texas won't like having Texas A&M in their own state out-earning them. They will consider their options. Equality at the top level of college athletics might be more attractive to them than being top dog in a second-tier conference, especially if that is unstable -- and it is, having lost Colorado, Texas, Missouri, and A&M already, and Kansas and Oklahoma next to leave.

Options they would explore: B1G, SEC, a B12-like deal with the Pac where they keep the LHN, or a Notre Dame like deal with the ACC.

Why can't they keep the LHN and go to The Big10?

Reaction Score

The B1G is going to cut them a special deal? How's that going to fly with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State? I'm sure all 3 schools would love to keep more of their TV rights than share them with the likes of Rutgers.

pj

Reaction Score

Our B1G guests keep saying how one of the great things of the B1G is that it is equal, all-for-one, one-for all, and they wouldn't compromise that culture the way the ACC gave Notre Dame a special deal. I'm just taking your peers at their word.

Reaction Score
The B1G is going to cut them a special deal? How's that going to fly with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State? I'm sure all 3 schools would love to keep more of their TV rights than share them with the likes of Rutgers.
wonder if the 'big fish' taking more of the conference funds is the next step in CR. Greed/Money seems to trump all else in CFB

Reaction Score

You're talking "let's make a deal, right"? As in, BTN and LHN share content, with ESPN remaining a partner and being satisfied with the result?

Reaction Score

With the Big Ten about to make a cash haul the LHN money doesn't seem as big of a deal now. I suppose Texas could get very creative and make some concessions while still taking in a little more money without the Big Ten "freaking out". I'll leave that to @dayooper as to what the arrangement might be because I still see it as a deal breaker with the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
SEC took 2 Big 12 schools when it looked like the conference might cave. On the other hand, Mizzou had been begging to join the Big Ten, but only Nebraska got the nod.

My little theory serves UConn well.

But then there's the "contiguous, AAU, has red in the school colors part"...
Exercising compassion would be taking K-state ,and Iowa State
Planting a flag in Texas,and taking the flagship school of a large boarding state strikes me as good business.

Reaction Score
If Texas and Oklahoma bolted, the Big 12 disintegrates and the scraps are scrambling. It would certainly not be a Power conference whether they invited some AAC and MWC programs or vice-versa. The rest of that conference is playing with fire.
The Big 12 disintegrating would be a godsend for us. A conference of B12 scraps (ISU, Baylor, KU, KState, WVU, TCU?) plus a few AACs, us, Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, and one or two more would be a significant improvement over where we are now.

I still remember back to when the Pac almost raided the B12, everyone wanted it to not happen - that would've been GREAT for the Big East - it likely would still be alive today, as TCU, KU, KState, and Baylor would've joined. It's well-written that Dunce Cap Marinara had advanced discussions with those schools to join the Big East if the B12 dissolved. That would've been a great day for us if those six schools went to the Pac.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Our B1G guests keep saying how one of the great things of the B1G is that it is equal, all-for-one, one-for all, and they wouldn't compromise that culture the way the ACC gave Notre Dame a special deal. I'm just taking your peers at their word.

Here's the question, would the Big10 want to have Texas' football games in the new contract? The only way that will happen is if there is some sort of deal that allows for The LHN to exist along with the BTN. Do you really think The Big10 would let the state of Texas go because Texas can't deliver their tier 3 content? If everything that had been said about the upcoming contract I'd true, than Texas/Oklahoma would be worth a fortune. Passing up on that cash along with the idea that The Big10/CiC could bring in another Public Ivy is something that Delaney and The Big10 Presidents might have a hard time passing up.

Take out The BTN money from the contract and let Texas stand on their own. The deal would make both parties more money than without. You still get all but one of Texas' home football games, and that could be a non conference game anyway. Michigan, Ohio State, PSU, and any other school couldn't get what Texas has. The money isn't there.

Will it happen? Pretty sure it won't. Don't discount possibilities when this much money and security is at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom