Big 12 expansion - maybe not. | The Boneyard

Big 12 expansion - maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From a 'friend' -

No expansion, no real interest in a championship game right now. It's not that there is no support for expansion, there's just not enough right now.

They'll go through a couple of years of the playoff process before they commit in either direction.

The problems....the television contract, Texas and the commissioner.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Best news all day if true (and I believe you over other sources).

Bob Diaco...you are on the clock for a new OC.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
From a 'friend' -

No expansion, no real interest in a championship game right now. It's not that there is no support for expansion, there's just not enough right now.

They'll go through a couple of years of the playoff process before they commit in either direction.

Are you friends with Brett? Are you Brett?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
From a 'friend' -

Sounds like ESPN is playing hardball on the contract.

Reaction Score
Saw this on the Cincy board:

• Chip brown from horns digest.com just posted a story saying the Big 12 will not expand. Apparently from a source in the meetings today. He is usually in the know and is obviously connected to Texas.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Supposedly, Big 12 won't discuss expansion again until next May.

Reaction Score
None of these rumors mean anything to me right now. Even if the Big XII were going to expand they might keep it a secret until all the 'i's' are dotted and 't's' crossed.

I heard Bowlsby on Mike and Mike this morning and he discussed the ACC proposal regarding the division format requirement for a CCG. He mentioned that the Big XII supports the proposal and may wait to see how it plays out. The ACC proposal does not change the 12 teams requirement. Not sure if he expects the ACC to amend it, or if there is a quid pro quo agreement in place where by the ACC will support a Big XII proposal to do away with the 12 teams requirement.

One interesting thing that he said that jumped out at me was that the ACC wants to do away with the division format because they have 15 members. Not sure if he misspoke, or if he knows something about possible ACC expansion once the rule is changed. I'm guessing that he misspoke, but the comment got me thinking.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sounds like ESPN is playing hardball on the contract.
I choose to apply Occam's razor here.

Well either that, or it's a double fake-out, and they want you to think ESPN is playing hardball and it's already a done deal.

Reaction Score
they can't have their cake and eat it too, either they want to increase their chance of a playoff spot with a CCG or they keep more profit from their tv deal to themselves. something's got to give, give it a few more weeks when the payoff bowls are on tv and baylor and tcu destroy their other p5 opponents in their bowl games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thankfully this buys us sometime to get our program back on solid ground.

I can't believe all the dominoes have stopped forever. So we just have to bide our time in the AAC for the time being.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My take from all of this is...

The Big 12 found that their sloganeering didn't work on the playoff committee less than two days ago. "One true champion" was interpreted as "No true champion." They haven't had time to sort out how this thing will work going forward - I don't think think is the most logical group of people so it would not surprise me if they had to walk into the same wall a few times before things register.

I don't completely buy that they will not expand - hell, the commissioner himself kicked all of this off - but I do think they'll take their time before sorting any of this out.

I also think that Big 12 expansion would almost invariably be bad for us.

If you had to come up with the antithesis of the typical Big 12 school or Big 12 state, it's probably Connecticut.

We're 2,000 miles away, we're a hoop school by rep and if you showed a Big 12 fan a picture of Mars and told them it was New England, they might believe you.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well, the CR board re-animated for a couple of days. Guess we can go back to sleep now...
56952601.jpg

Reaction Score
My take from all of this is...

The Big 12 found that their sloganeering didn't work on the playoff committee less than two days ago. "One true champion" was interpreted as "No true champion." They haven't had time to sort out how this thing will work going forward - I don't think think is the most logical group of people so it would not surprise me if they had to walk into the same wall a few times before things register.

I don't completely buy that they will not expand - hell, the commissioner himself kicked all of this off - but I do think they'll take their time before sorting any of this out.

I also think that Big 12 expansion would almost invariably be bad for us.

If you had to come up with the antithesis of the typical Big 12 school or Big 12 state, it's probably Connecticut.

We're 2,000 miles away, we're a hoop school by rep and if you showed a Big 12 fan a picture of Mars and told them it was New England, they might believe you.
Delay actually helps us.
Where obviously one of the worse geographical fits for the B12.
However
If there is a decision or serious talk next year at this time and UConn is coming off a decent football season. Than us moving up in the Big12 discussion might create enough dissonance for the ACC or B1G to act preemptively. Then again the ACC could take Cinny for the same reason.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyESPN

@frankthetank111 A Big 12 AD was called today by someone at SMU & told SMU BOR announced in meeting B12 adding Mem/Cin. Wondered if true

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 seriously thought about expansion, saw that the available options weren't palatable and decided to table the idea until springtime. BYU, Cincy, farflung UConn, Memphis and some directional Fla schools aren't quite up to their lofty (and unrealistic) standards.

Reaction Score
IF the Big 12 were planning on making a move, I believe it would be under wraps because it is all very cut-throat out there. I am really starting to believe the Big 12 is going to get poached. Some of those programs have got to look out for their own futures rather than those of Texas.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree that the Big 12 looked at what was available and besides BYU, felt there was nothing worth adding. Honestly, the Big 12 revolves around what Texas and somewhat, OU, wants. I'd take a wild guess here and say that they have no interest in any AAC team. That's not a slam on Cincy but I don't think they really raise Texas's interest meter. Same for UConn or Memphis or UCF or Boise. So why expand? See what happens next season. As many said, if it was Texas in TCU or Baylor's spot, things may have been different. However, Baylor and TCU are new to the scene and aren't one of the "good old boys" like OSU is. Things just broke wrong for them this year but next season can be different,

What I do think is going to happen, is that the message as been sent that your OOC schedule can not be cupcake city anymore. You want in, you need to schedule like you want it. Look for many buy outs of games that hurt you and more games that can catapult you.

This quote, while it may be just some BS, shows that CR is more than just grabbing a quick team to fix something like this. There needs to be some leg work. It comes from Bowlsby.

"I don't know with 10 it's something we would necessarily do," Bowlsby said. "Will it foster discussions of possible conference expansion at some point in time? I suppose it would. Conference expansion is a multifaceted decision process and certainly goes well beyond whether you have a postseason football playoff or not."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...mpresses-committee-while-big-12-gets-left-out

Reaction Score
Good. If we have to be I'm this conference, the rest of these mofuggers need to be right here with us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think we have a 3-4 year window where we are remotely appealing as an expansion candidate, and then it will be too late. Same goes for everyone else in the G5. There is simply no way to solve for the revenue discrepancy. It will not be long before coordinators will leave UConn to be position coaches at P5 schools. players will go to P5 schools to ride the bench for 5 years rather than go to UConn with the chance of starting in 2 or 3. We can't match the paycheck for the coaches or the players.

Which makes me really hate Bret McMurphy. That is so smug with this tweets, when all he is doing is regurgitating the Head of Programming's position. ESPN has dictated every step of expansion as it relates to the Big East and AAC, and they were the ones that decided to leave UConn without a life raft. Every expansion tweet by McMurphy is basically mocking us as fans for the fact that his boss gave our athletic program a death sentence. The smartest thing the C7 did was get as far away as possible from ESPN. That is the only thing that might save them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
McMurphy loved expansion.

He now loves quashing it even more.

John Skipper drives expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors