Best natural Athlete | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Best natural Athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never thought I would see someone denigrating Drummond's athleticsm by pointing to his terrible free throw shooting, this board never ceases to amaze.

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it's unfair to penalize Drummond because he only plays one sport. How many 6'11 guys have ever played in the MLB or NFL? I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it's unfair to penalize Drummond because he only plays one sport. How many 6'11 guys have ever played in the MLB or NFL? I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

He'd probably be the greatest tight end that ever lived.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Mark Hendrickson is the only 6'10+ guy I can think of who ever played in MLB.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I describe it as even more amazing than what Burrell did. Something even Michael Jordan could not do. Something Burrell came closer to than Andre. Unfortunately, Bo and Deon did not go to UCONN and like the legendary basketball players that are better than Andre, they don't count.

I wasn't laying out Jackson or Sanders' case to be called the best athlete in UConn history. And that's fine that you define athleticism differently than I do.

Reaction Score
I never thought I would see someone denigrating Drummond's athleticsm by pointing to his terrible free throw shooting, this board never ceases to amaze.

You are seriously misunderstanding the argument here. Nobody (ok, one guy who hasn't posted since) is debating the fact that he's an elite athlete. "Not as athletic as Scott Burrell" ≠ "Poor athlete".

If I wanted to argue like you, I'd say that Rico was "denigrating" Burrell's athleticism because he doesn't compare as favorably to the two best athletes on the planet in the second half of the 2oth century. I won't, because I know that's not what he meant.

Reaction Score
I describe it as even more amazing than what Burrell did. Something even Michael Jordan could not do. Something Burrell came closer to than Andre. Unfortunately, Bo and Deon did not go to UCONN and like the legendary basketball players that are better than Andre, they don't count.
Bo and Deion didn't play basketball (that I'm aware of), but we all know Scottie could have been a football star too.

Reaction Score
AD case is totally different from Burrell's. AD was a prodigy he is 21 and is already a top 5 center in the NBA, and he's still developing. Most guys have to go through blood,sweat and tears just to collect an NBA paycheck AD makes it look easy is that I would say that's a natural athlete.

Reaction Score
You are seriously misunderstanding the argument here. Nobody (ok, one guy who hasn't posted since) is debating the fact that he's an elite athlete. "Not as athletic as Scott Burrell" ≠ "Poor athlete".

If I wanted to argue like you, I'd say that Rico was "denigrating" Burrell's athleticism because he doesn't compare as favorably to the two best athletes on the planet in the second half of the 2oth century. I won't, because I know that's not what he meant.
Thanks, exactly right. We are debating who's the best natural athlete so might need to point out where, why & how a great athlete differs compared to another great athlete.
How dare I point out that Andre had a weird looking jump shot at UConn and cite his free throw stats?! Or maybe its something he's working on and knows is key to unlocking his next steps as NBA great.

Reaction Score
Dwight Howard was drafted over Emeka and everyone at the time thought the Magic were crazy. Emeka has to play his tail off to get a double double, Dwight can goof off and get 20 and 20. To me natural athleticism is making it look easy, there are many examples you can use in different sports.

Reaction Score
Dwight Howard was drafted over Emeka and everyone at the time thought the Magic were crazy. Emeka has to play his tail off to get a double double, Dwight can goof off and get 20 and 20. To me natural athleticism is making it look easy, there are many examples you can use in different sports.

So playing professionally in 2 sports (and being a top prospect in a third before giving it up) without being exclusively dedicated to either isn't "making it look easy"?

The best argument for Drummond is that athleticism like he has is much more scarce in guys his size. Not enough to overcome a guy who did things that nobody had done previously.

Reaction Score
True, but that was mostly about the fact that we'd watched Emeka excel at BBall for 3yrs and we'd never seen Dwight Howard play. It was also still in the shadow of Kwame Brown of similar ballyhooed athleticism being a complete bust. Emeka did win ROY and very likely would have been closer to Howard were it not for his back issues. But Howard was the correct #1 pick due to his athleticism.

'Making it look easy' is a very subjective definition of what we've learned is a personal and subjective term of natural athlete. Young Ray Allen would quietly put up 15pts without pressing but young Rudy Gay would quietly do the same yet never quite 'explode' the way Ray did and Rudy was somehow frustratingly too easygoing. And now Ray has to work incredibly hard for his points and can look awkward. But he survives at 39yrs old in the NBA because he's a great natural athlete and an exceptionally well conditioned & practiced one. Is Tony Allen who works incredibly hard and struggle to score consistently at the NBA level a better natural athlete than Rudy (I don't know)? What about Dennis Rodman who had certain freak athletic and 'motor' qualities but also was incredibly awkward offensively?

Reaction Score
So playing professionally in 2 sports (and being a top prospect in a third before giving it up) without being exclusively dedicated to either isn't "making it look easy"?

The best argument for Drummond is that athleticism like he has is much more scarce in guys his size. Not enough to overcome a guy who did things that nobody had done previously.

Like I said AD situation is different from Burrell's. We have no idea how good AD would be in another sport times are different now then they were in the 80s I'm sure AD had a pretty good idea he would be in the NBA when you know that you concentrate on one sport.

Reaction Score
Like I said AD situation is different from Burrell's. We have no idea how good AD would be in another sport times are different now then they were in the 80s I'm sure AD had a pretty good idea he would be in the NBA when you know that you concentrate on one sport.
C'mon now, AD plays only basketball because times are different than in the 80's?! I'm pretty sure specializing in one sport has been commonplace for quite some time now. I don't recall Dr. J having to peddle insurance while in the ABA or work through pro tennis rankings in summers at UMass. Although it is essentially true that Andre was born at the wrong time and had he been a 70's baby he'd have tons of acid washed jeans, a mullet, listen to a lot of rock ballads and be a 6'10" second baseman for the Blue Jays.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this is going on. It's Burrell, and it's not even close.

Forget other sports. Burrell's vertical leap, and lateral quickness, are hard to describe if you didn't see him play. It's Burrell who literally jumped over a future NBA star and took the ball from him without fouling (or anyone even understanding what happened). It's Burrell who came out of a corner to knock Shaq's stuff into the stands without Shaq even having a clue who stuffed him and where he had come from. It's Burrell of whom Raftery once said, "if you didn't see what that UFO was it was Scotty Burrell."

Even if you are talking about nothing other than speed, quickness, hops and agility, it's Burrell.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is the most overblown argument of all time because the two sides can't even agree on a specific definition of athleticism.

You might as well settle on that FIRST, and then compare players. Heck, I'm not even sure there IS a specific definition.

Reaction Score

I'm not misunderstanding any argument, another poster said if Drummond is such a great athlete why is he such a bad free throw shooter? It's an absurd argument and you clearly seem to be missing the point.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This is the most overblown argument of all time because the two sides can't even agree on a specific definition of athleticism.

You might as well settle on that FIRST, and then compare players. Heck, I'm not even sure there IS a specific definition.
Sure there is; Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this is going on. It's Burrell, and it's not even close.

Forget other sports. Burrell's vertical leap, and lateral quickness, are hard to describe if you didn't see him play. It's Burrell who literally jumped over a future NBA star and took the ball from him without fouling (or anyone even understanding what happened). It's Burrell who came out of a corner to knock Shaq's stuff into the stands without Shaq even having a clue who stuffed him and where he had come from. It's Burrell of whom Raftery once said, "if you didn't see what that UFO was it was Scotty Burrell."

Even if you are talking about nothing other than speed, quickness, hops and agility, it's Burrell.
Too funny.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I agree. Some see this as excellence in a sport, others as ability to quickly & easily become proficient in multiple sports and some see it as running, jumping & strength.

Reaction Score
I agree. Some see this as excellence in a sport, others as ability to quickly & easily become proficient in multiple sports and some see it as running, jumping & strength.

Burrell had both. He wins.

Next topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member