Best natural Athlete | The Boneyard

Best natural Athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breaking out a discussion in another thread....What is the best natural athlete that we've had at UConn?

1. Andre Drummond - Reminds me of LeBron with some of his moves...he's young, but time will tell
2. Stanley Robinson - Best High riser
3. Rudy Gay - Best Dunker
4. Scott Burrell - Two sport athlete
5. Jerome Dyson/Boatshow - tie - two guards that played above the rim

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Drummond wouldn't make my list based on what I saw while he was here.

Caron definitely would.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Burrell by 100 miles and then the others. Scott was an amazing football, basketball and baseball player and was drafted in the first round of two major league sports. End of discussion.

Reaction Score
Drummond is easily #1, Scotty Burrell is the only athlete in history to be drafted in the first round of 2 sports but I can only go off what I saw him do on a basketball court.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Either Scotty Burrell or Stix. But Edmund Saunders comes to mind as well.

Reaction Score
Burrell #1

No other UConn player could have made that perfect pass (it wasn't luck)!

No other UConn player could leap over a player for a steal!

No other UConn player could guard 4 positions!

No other UConn basketball player was drafted by a major league baseball team!

He may not have been an AA, but he was our AA by miles.

Reaction Score
I think Kemba is in the discussion. In an alternate universe, he'd have been a dynamite cover corner/kick returner or a soccer striker who gave defenses nightmares. Or someone who could steal a ton of bases.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Drummond's athleticism blows my mind. Someone that big being able to move, jump, and run as fast as he did was amazing. Now he's putting it together in the nba and it's scary

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Drummond was also the fastest player on the 2011-2012 team. Saying he was sluggish and non-athletic is odd.

Reaction Score
Don't mean to hijack this thread but drummond has a ridiculous nba highlight reel ALREADY. he is a badass, thanks sheed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't mean to hijack this thread but drummond has an ridiculous nba highlight reel ALREADY. he is a badass, thanks sheed.

Drummond stripping Wade on consecutive possessions was just stupefying. Watching it live I was like, "Did that really just happen"?

Reaction Score
Drummond has arguably the best combination of size, strength, power, and athleticism out of anyone I've ever seen. He didn't show it off very often at UConn, but he is a man amongst boys in the NBA, the best basketball league in the world.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Drummond is easily #1, Scotty Burrell is the only athlete in history to be drafted in the first round of 2 sports but I can only go off what I saw him do on a basketball court.

Drummond is a really good athlete for a 6'11 guy. If the question was who was the best athlete over 6'10 ?, I'd agree. But, for best overall athlete, I'm stunned anyone would pick him over Scott. You say you can only judge by what you saw on the court but I think the fact that he was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft gives you another data point. He was also one of the top QB's in the state. He was incredible.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
If we're talking athletic skills that could allow/ have allowed a person to play one or two other sports it has to be Burrell. The Guy could've went high division 1 as a QB . I actually played a JV Football game against him. The local
Folklore is he quit football to avoid an injury. After that its Dyson because of his football background . Kemba was nearly a professional dancer in his childhood so I guess that helped / showed in his excellent foot work.

Reaction Score
Drummond is a really good athlete for a 6'11 guy. If the question was who was the best athlete over 6'10 ?, I'd agree. But, for best overall athlete, I'm stunned anyone would pick him over Scott. You say you can only judge by what you saw on the court but I think the fact that he was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft gives you another data point. He was also one of the top QB's in the state. He was incredible.

Scotty had the aptitude to pick up other sports and be really good at them, but that's not the sole definition of "natural athlete", at least to me.

Drummond is a great athlete for any size. Don't kid yourself.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
By the same token I can only go off what I saw Drummond do on a basketball court. He's obviously got an almost perfect body for a basketball player and he's used it much better since he left. But I'd like to see him hit a fastball or field a grounder. Knowing that Burrell had enough baseball talent to even sniff the majors moves him way up the list imo. There's a reason they same Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete of all time; and by extension I think that same logic dictates that Burrell is the greatest we've had. The football stuff is just icing on the cake.

Drummond was also the fastest player on the 2011-2012 team. Saying he was sluggish and non-athletic is odd.
Who said that?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
By the same token I can only go off what I saw Drummond do on a basketball court. He's obviously got an almost perfect body for a basketball player and he's used it much better since he left. But I'd like to see him hit a fastball or field a grounder. Knowing that Burrell had enough baseball talent to even sniff the majors moves him way up the list imo. There's a reason they same Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete of all time; and by extension I think that same logic dictates that Burrell is the greatest we've had. The football stuff is just icing on the cake.

Who said that?
Someone above. And people I talk to all the time say he's unathletic. I have a hard time believing that.

But I agree Burrell was the most athletic.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Scotty had the aptitude to pick up other sports and be really good at them, but that's not the sole definition of "natural athlete", at least to me.

Drummond is a great athlete for any size. Don't kid yourself.

What is a better definition of natural athlete than someone who can be world class in multiple sports?

Reaction Score
Burrell by 100 miles and then the others. Scott was an amazing football, basketball and baseball player and was drafted in the first round of two major league sports. End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom