Best natural Athlete | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best natural Athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Scott Burrell concentrated in a single sport, he would have been one of the best ever in it. And you can pick any sport you can think of. Athletic prowess not withstanding, playing a sport involves more than physical abilities. As much as I love AD, I'm not sure he is in the same class as Scottie.
This is the most absurd post in the thread, Burrell did focus on basketball and had a marginal NBA career, Drummond is the best rebounder in the NBA and he's 20 years old. Drummond is going to be a superstar in the league while Burrell was a end of the bench guy for the most part. It's an amazing accomplishment tbat Scott was drafted 1st round in two sports but all this world class talk and Burrell could have been one of the best ever is nonsense, basketball is the sport he chose and he was a marginal NBA player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Break it down two ways.

Most Accomplished is a fair discussion between Burrell and Dropout. No one else is in the discussion.

Best Natural Athlete is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Reaction Score
1. We must have a different definition of "world class".
2. If all-sports prowess is what defines an athlete, then Bruce Jenner is the most athletic person in the history of the world.

I consider a natural athlete to be someone who possesses agility, strength, speed, coordination, and leaping ability. And not many people are better than Drummond when you take those into account.

People don't consider LeBron to be maybe the greatest athlete of all time because he was an all-state football player.
I concede that not many people are better than Drummond, if you're talking big and strong and athletic! However, one who is easily better is SCOTT BURRELL. He was exceptionally SKILLED in multiple sports and you don't have the slightest idea if Drummond was even adequate in other sports. You just presume that because he's got speed and strength. What about skill set? The hand eye coordination that football players and baseball players have is not necessarily a big requisite for a basketball center. Drummond is totally unproven in other athletic areas and yet you proclaim him superman. Burrell would have been an awesome tight end in football with his speed and size and agility and he was an all state quarterback in football, a number one draft pick in basketball and baseball and may have had the ability to be a phenomenal soccer player. Drummond is phenomenal FOR HIS SIZE but would he be able to guard other positions on a basketball court? Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in the game because their quickness would leave him in their wake but Burrell surely wouldn't. Just like in aircraft fighter contact, the fastest jet isn't always the best in a dogfight. Sometimes size can be a detriment. Sometimes smaller can maneuver substantially better and have a distinct advantage. The smaller (but not small) Scott Burrell could do things on a playing field or court that Drummond could only dream about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the most absurd post in the thread, Burrell did focus on basketball and had a marginal NBA career, Drummond is the best rebounder in the NBA and he's 20 years old. Drummond is going to be a superstar in the league while Burrell was a end of the bench guy for the most part. It's an amazing accomplishment tbat Scott was drafted 1st round in two sports but all this world class talk and Burrell could have been one of the best ever is nonsense, basketball is the sport he chose and he was a marginal NBA player.
What makes you think that Drummond could do anything else? You make assumptions based on NOTHING!!!!!!!! Because he's quick (for his size), runs well (for his size), etc. you have him capable of anything. Sure bull, my friend. Did he play any other sports in high school? If he did, there was little or no suggestion of it in anything I've ever read about him. Burrell proved himself in multiple sports as exceptional. Maybe not the best of the best but substantially above most players. Has Drummond. You have no rebuttal because there is nothing to suggest that Drummond could even tie his shoes by himself except your willingness to believe it's true. Your remarks and others have people taking sides on a ridiculous topic. If you've got some proof of how skilled and capable Drummond is in soccer, baseball, football, tennis, golf, badminton or anything else that requires skill and speed, let me know. Until then, stop your silliness, please. Burrell proved it by playing at an extraordinarily high level in multiple sports.

Reaction Score
Not many people are better than Drummond, as you say! However, one who is easily better is SCOTT BURRELL. He was exceptional in multiple sports and you don't have the slightest idea if Drummond was even adequate in other sports. You just presume that because he's got speed and strength. The hand eye coordination that football players and baseball players have is not necessarily a big requisite for a basketball center. Drummond is totally unproven in other athletic areas and yet you proclaim him superman. Burrell would have been an awesome tight end in football with his speed and size and agility and he was an all state quarterback in football, a number one draft pick in basketball and baseball and may have had the ability to be a phenomenal soccer player. Drummond is phenomenal FOR HIS SIZE but would he be able to guard other positions on a basketball court? Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in the game but Burrell surely wouldn't. Just like in aircraft fighter contact, the fastest jet isn't always the best in a dogfight. Sometimes smaller can maneuver substantially better and have a distinct advantage. The smaller (but not small) Scott Burrell could do things on a playing field or court that Drummond could only dream about.
So now Burrell could have been an amazing baseball player, tight end in football and soccer player. It makes you wonder why he chose basketball where he just rode the pine in the NBA when he could have been dominant in all the other sports. I love Scott Burrell but good lord there is a lot of facepalm stuff in this thread.

Reaction Score
Not many people are better than Drummond, as you say! However, one who is easily better is SCOTT BURRELL. He was exceptional in multiple sports and you don't have the slightest idea if Drummond was even adequate in other sports. You just presume that because he's got speed and strength. The hand eye coordination that football players and baseball players have is not necessarily a big requisite for a basketball center. Drummond is totally unproven in other athletic areas and yet you proclaim him superman. Burrell would have been an awesome tight end in football with his speed and size and agility and he was an all state quarterback in football, a number one draft pick in basketball and baseball and may have had the ability to be a phenomenal soccer player. Drummond is phenomenal FOR HIS SIZE but would he be able to guard other positions on a basketball court? Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in the game but Burrell surely wouldn't. Just like in aircraft fighter contact, the fastest jet isn't always the best in a dogfight. Sometimes smaller can maneuver substantially better and have a distinct advantage. The smaller (but not small) Scott Burrell could do things on a playing field or court that Drummond could only dream about.
"Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in tbr game but Burrell surely wouldn't." Oh yeah I remember all those times Burrell shut down Hakeem, Karl Malone, Ewing, Barkley, Robinson etc. with his lockdown defense. I also remember that Drummond imposter stealing it from Dwyane Wade on consecutive possessions. My question to you is if Burrell could do all these superman things you claim why wasn't he considered a lockdown defender or even a good NBA player? Again I love Burrell but making him out to be things he's not is just silly and takes away from your credibiity.

Reaction Score
So now Burrell could have been an amazing baseball player, tight end in football and soccer player. It makes you wonder why he chose basketball where he just rode the pine in the NBA when he could have been dominant in all the other sports. I love Scott Burrell but good lord there is a lot of facepalm stuff in this thread.
Scott Burrell proved his skill set by being drafted by highly paid executives as a number one pick in baseball. He did the same in basketball. He was an all state quarterback in high school so some writers who supposedly know their stuff felt he was highly skilled. He had wonderful hands and with his size and speed and hand eye coordination would have made a very talented tight end who would have been a major match up problem. Based on these things alone, why is it a stretch to think that he couldn't have been highly skilled in other areas? What has Drummond done in other areas to impress professional people enough that they would be willing to select him as a highly rated draft pick or to give him a college scholarship. You have absolutely nothing to base Drummond being the best natural athlete out of UConn or the state or whatever. Nothing! At least there is substance to Burrell's selection by people who are in the business of knowing what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
"Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in tbr game but Burrell surely wouldn't." Oh yeah I remember all those times Burrell shut down Hakeem, Karl Malone, Ewing, Barkley, Robinson etc. with his lockdown defense. I also remember that Drummond imposter stealing it from Dwyane Wade on consecutive possessions. My question to you is if Burrell could do all these superman things you claim why wasn't he considered a lockdown defender or even a good NBA player? Again I love Burrell but making him out to be things he's not is just silly and takes away from your credibiity.
Making him out to be things that he isn't is silly????????????? What the hell are you talking about. I didn't say that Burrell was a superstar in anything. I didn't say he was a great NBA player. I said he was talented enough to play in the NBA and I think that statement is correct, isn't it??? I said that he was talented enough to be a first round pick in baseball and I think that that statement is true, isn't it??? I said that he was talented enough to be selected an all state quarterback and that statement is true, isn't it? Was Drummond selected in the baseball draft? Was Drummond an all state selection in football. Has Drummond excelled in anything that you know of except basketball. Burrell was capable and in fact did guard positions from the power forward to the point guard position well in his time in Storrs and to a lesser degree in the NBA. He wasn't going to be successful against Karl Malone and others in 99% of the instances but I would guarantee that he may have on a PARTICULAR play, just like Drummond could have had success against Wade on a particular play. Away from the basket, Drummond would be embarrassed by most of the small forwards and guards in the NBA and you know it. His advantage is primarily against other centers and power forwards because of his strength and quickness. It ends there. We are talking about best natural athlete and to me that sounds like players who play multiple sports exceedingly well. Andre Drummond has not shown himself capable of playing ANYTHING well other than basketball. Until he's actually done it and proven himself against highly skilled players, he isn't the choice in this group.

Reaction Score
Making him out to be things that he isn't is silly????????????? What the hell are you talking about. I didn't say that Burrell was a superstar in anything. I didn't say he was a great NBA player. I said he was talented enough to play in the NBA and I think that statement is correct, isn't it??? I said that he was talented enough to be a first round pick in baseball and I think that that statement is true, isn't it??? I said that he was talented enough to be selected an all state quarterback and that statement is true, isn't it? Was Drummond selected in the baseball draft? Was Drummond an all state selection in football. Has Drummond excelled in anything that you know of except basketball. Burrell was capable and in fact did guard positions from the power forward to the point guard position well in his time in Storrs and to a lesser degree in the NBA. He wasn't going to be successful against Karl Malone and others in 99% of the instances but I would guarantee that he may have on a PARTICULAR play, just like Drummond could have had success against Wade on a particular play. Away from the basket, Drummond would be embarrassed by most of the small forwards and guards in the NBA and you know it. His advantage is primarily against other centers and power forwards because of his strength and quickness. It ends there. We are talking about best natural athlete and to me that sounds like players who play multiple sports exceedingly well. Andre Drummond has not shown himself capable of playing ANYTHING well other than basketball. Until he's actually done it and proven himself against highly skilled players, he isn't the choice in this group.
As I've stated many times in this thread, if you are only going off who played multiple sports at a high level the only choices are Burrell and Walt Dropo. If you define athleticsm like I do by sheer speed,,size, stregth, agility, leaping ability etc. then Drummond is clearly the best from Uconn. It's why I brought up Danny Ainge in a previous post, he could have played professionally in all three major sports but I still think Jordan and Lebron are superior natural athletes.

Reaction Score
I concede that not many people are better than Drummond, if you're talking big and strong and athletic! However, one who is easily better is SCOTT BURRELL. He was exceptionally SKILLED in multiple sports and you don't have the slightest idea if Drummond was even adequate in other sports. You just presume that because he's got speed and strength. What about skill set? The hand eye coordination that football players and baseball players have is not necessarily a big requisite for a basketball center. Drummond is totally unproven in other athletic areas and yet you proclaim him superman. Burrell would have been an awesome tight end in football with his speed and size and agility and he was an all state quarterback in football, a number one draft pick in basketball and baseball and may have had the ability to be a phenomenal soccer player. Drummond is phenomenal FOR HIS SIZE but would he be able to guard other positions on a basketball court? Burrell was capable of guarding anyone. Drummond would embarrass himself trying to defend some of the better guards and small forwards in the game because their quickness would leave him in their wake but Burrell surely wouldn't. Just like in aircraft fighter contact, the fastest jet isn't always the best in a dogfight. Sometimes size can be a detriment. Sometimes smaller can maneuver substantially better and have a distinct advantage. The smaller (but not small) Scott Burrell could do things on a playing field or court that Drummond could only dream about.

Yikes. So first you say that I presumed that Drummond would be great in other sports(something I never did), and then you yourself presume that Burrell would've been an "awesome" tight end.

Burrell was able to guard"anyone" in basketball, except for, you know, upper level NBA players. He was never anything more than a role player in the NBA. Drummond doesn't have that problem. By the way, watch that highlight tape posted earlier and watch him switch out onto Dywayne Wade and pick his pocket twice before you say he would "embarrass" himself against other players.

You seem to have some serious deep-seated issues with Andre Drummond, for reasons I can't understand.

Reaction Score
bmayuc said:
I know that this board has a very pronounced nostalgia factor. And Scott Burrell was a solid (16ppg) player here. He also was a very marginal pro, and his "world-class" accomplishments top out there. Drafted in the 1st round in two sports and didn't really accomplish anything significant in either. That's not to knock him its a crazy accomplishment in its own right. He was a great athlete though, no question. However, if we are talking natural freaking athletic monsters, nobody is in the class of Andre Drummond. And my list would go something like this (UCONN MBB only) 1. Andre Drummond(All Around Beast) gap 2a. Rudy Gay(Amazing Run/Jump/Agility) 2b. Scott Burrell(Explosive/Control) 3. Ben Gordon(Explosive/sneaky strength) 4. Donyell Marshall(smooth/agility) 5a. Jerome Dyson(speed/power/hops) 5b. Stanley Robinson(hops,hops,hops) ... ... 214. Rashad Anderson(nothing)

In fairness to Burrell, he had moved into Charlotte's starting lineup by his second year and looked like he had a promising career ahead of him (not one of the best ever, but certainly the potential to be a starter for years). Then the ruptured his Achilles and dislocated his same shoulder twice to end a couple of seasons, and he was never the same. I believe he came back after his multiple shoulder injuries right at the time that the NBA moved the three-point line back two feet again and he was never able to put that weapon back in his arsenal (he competed in the NBA three-point contest in his second year, finishing third).

It's also hard to accomplish something significant in a sport that you choose not to play. No telling if he would have made the bigs, but he certainly had the potential if he was a first round pick. He probably made the right choice - it takes a long time of slogging through the minors to get the call up, and even with all the injury problems, he got a ring with the Bulls.

Reaction Score
The question was best natural athlete. . . . The answer is Scott Burrell and its not close.

All state QB, 95 mph fastball in high school, didn't suck in hoop, and after he graduated I played in a group behind him at Laurel View in hamden . . . he could play golf as well. He's onto of those guys that if of involved a ball that he had to hit, throw, kick, block, catch he was just going to excel at it. He had good size and that hand eye thing that few people have.

Reaction Score
Yikes. So first you say that I presumed that Drummond would be great in other sports(something I never did), and then you yourself presume that Burrell would've been an "awesome" tight end.

Burrell was able to guard"anyone" in basketball, except for, you know, upper level NBA players. He was never anything more than a role player in the NBA. Drummond doesn't have that problem. By the way, watch that highlight tape posted earlier and watch him switch out onto Dywayne Wade and pick his pocket twice before you say he would "embarrass" himself against other players.

You seem to have some serious deep-seated issues with Andre Drummond, for reasons I can't understand.
I do not have any issues with Andre Drummond. It's you putting words in my mouth. The discussion was supposed to be about the best natural athlete and outside of being an exceptionally athletic big man, what has Drummond done that would earn him that title. There is nothing said or written about him that suggests that other than his basketball skills which are overtly impressive, he has any other outstanding athletic abilities. Meanwhile, Scott Burrell was a noted athlete in multiple sports, excelling to the extent that he was a first round pick in both basketball and baseball and he was a relatively renowned all-state quarterback. The fact that he was so gifted in multiple sports suggests that there may be others that he could excel at. The hand eye coordination necessary to hit a baseball (he was an outstanding hitter, though his forte was pitching) helps reinforce (to me and others) how talented he was. The fact Drummond will likely have an NBA career that will FAR surpass anything Scott did means that he is a more dominant basketball player than Scott was but does nothing to suggest he was a better natural athlete. Burrell was outstanding in multiple sports requiring different skills and I've heard nothing about any level of competence Andre showed in any other area. My definition of a natural athlete is someone whose multi talented and can compete very ably in numerous endeavors. Scott fills that bill. You demean a lot of players that played at UConn by referring to Burrell as nothing but a role player. How many NBA players are "special"? There are a lot of people who talk about how many players Calhoun and now Ollie have sent to the NBA and they don't qualify it by saying Hilton was a role player, Kevin was a role player, Jake Voshkul etc., etc. Anyone who gets drafted and plays in the NBA is a pretty special player though some inevitably become stars like Ray has. You are the guy disrespecting players that have played in the NBA because they didn't become superstars, not me. By the way, for you to point out a specific play that "proves" that he could cover guys like Duane Wade is just silly. That's like suggesting, based on the 30 foot three point shot he hit in the last moments of the 2004 Big East Tournament final, that Taliek Brown is a gifted three point shooter. It proves nothing but that anyone can make an exceptional play at a specific time. To do it consistently would be a different story. Would you want him to continually play against faster and quicker players? You'd have to be out of your mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But if Andre was 2' 8" how good would he be?

And if Scotty was 10'2"?

A "natural" athlete is someone who could do well at any sport to which they set their mind. Think of how you use the term. It almost seems easy for the natural athlete. Those decathlete skills are a good base for that but not the definition of it.
I didn't see Walt and it is hard to compare eras, but Walt may beat Scott
That is what I don't understand. If Drummond were six inches shorter, how special would he be???? He is overtly quick and strong for a man of his size but nothing suggests that he could compete at a high level in other athletic endeavors. Maybe he could but there is no history that he has ever done so. The same can not be said about Scott Burrell and Walt Dropo who excelled in multiple sports.

Reaction Score
Buzzyboy, you are all over the place. We get it you think Burrell could have played pro baseball, soccer, tennis, football, golf etc. and Drummond wouldn't be a good athlete if he was Gary Coleman's size. You do concede that Drummond's NBA career will probably exceed Scott Burrell's, I know that's a major step for you.

Reaction Score
I do not have any issues with Andre Drummond. It's you putting words in my mouth. The discussion was supposed to be about the best natural athlete and outside of being an exceptionally athletic big man, what has Drummond done that would earn him that title. There is nothing said or written about him that suggests that other than his basketball skills which are overtly impressive, he has any other outstanding athletic abilities. Meanwhile, Scott Burrell was a noted athlete in multiple sports, excelling to the extent that he was a first round pick in both basketball and baseball and he was a relatively renowned all-state quarterback. The fact that he was so gifted in multiple sports suggests that there may be others that he could excel at. The hand eye coordination necessary to hit a baseball (he was an outstanding hitter, though his forte was pitching) helps reinforce (to me and others) how talented he was. The fact Drummond will likely have an NBA career that will FAR surpass anything Scott did means that he is a more dominant basketball player than Scott was but does nothing to suggest he was a better natural athlete. Burrell was outstanding in multiple sports requiring different skills and I've heard nothing about any level of competence Andre showed in any other area. My definition of a natural athlete is someone whose multi talented and can compete very ably in numerous endeavors. Scott fills that bill. You demean a lot of players that played at UConn by referring to Burrell as nothing but a role player. How many NBA players are "special"? There are a lot of people who talk about how many players Calhoun and now Ollie have sent to the NBA and they don't qualify it by saying Hilton was a role player, Kevin was a role player, Jake Voshkul etc., etc. Anyone who gets drafted and plays in the NBA is a pretty special player though some inevitably become stars like Ray has. You are the guy disrespecting players that have played in the NBA because they didn't become superstars, not me. By the way, for you to point out a specific play that "proves" that he could cover guys like Duane Wade is just silly. That's like suggesting, based on the 30 foot three point shot he hit in the last moments of the 2004 Big East Tournament final, that Taliek Brown is a gifted three point shooter. It proves nothing but that anyone can make an exceptional play at a specific time. To do it consistently would be a different story. Would you want him to continually play against faster and quicker players? You'd have to be out of your mind.

First off, Burrell was a role player in the NBA. I don't see how that's at all arguable. He was great at UConn, and I'm not taking anything away from him, but he was a role player in the NBA.

Secondly, the reason I think you have something against Drummond has to do with your little "tie his shoes" dig in one of your posts.

Drummond posted a 10.83 in the lane agility drills in pre-draft testing, which was a top 10 number in that draft. In the history of pre-draft testing, there's only been one guy over 250 pounds who's had a better number in the lane agility drills. You speculating on his ability to defend forwards and guards is just that, speculation. One of the main premises of your argument is based off of something that you've completely made up in your head, this notion that he can't defend on the perimeter. According to Synergy, when he stepped out to guard the pick and roll guy, the player only shot the ball twice all year, which is pretty indicative of his ability to defend on the perimeter.

My other problem is that you paint Burrell as if he's a rich man's Bruce Bowen as a defender, when Drummond is only 20 years old and already has a higher average defensive rating than Burrell did.

We probably have different definitions of what a "natural athlete" is, which is fine.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We probably have different definitions of what a "natural athlete" is, which is fine.
That's the key point. Some (me) view a natural athlete as some one who has the natural ability (quickness, hand eye coordination, speed, jumping ability) to be really, really good at anything. You (and others) define it as being incredibly agile at 6'10 with the ability to dominate at one sport.

Reaction Score
That's the key point. Some (me) view a natural athlete as some one who has the natural ability (quickness, hand eye coordination, speed, jumping ability) to be really, really good at anything. You (and others) define it as being incredibly agile at 6'10 with the ability to dominate at one sport.

You (and others) keep bringing height into it. It has nothing to do with height. Under my definition of a "natural athlete", some with speed, strength, agility, coordination, and leaping ability, Adrian Peterson is just as athletic as Andre Drummond.

Reaction Score
I've always like that Ben Gordon was one of the strongest guys on the team. Great athlete. I'll go with him for best athlete ever to play basketball at Uconn...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You (and others) keep bringing height into it. It has nothing to do with height. Under my definition of a "natural athlete", some with speed, strength, agility, coordination, and leaping ability, Adrian Peterson is just as athletic as Andre Drummond.
Agreed. Height has absolutely nothing to do with athletic ability but it has everything to do with drummonds success. He is very athletic and when you combine it with his height you have a dominant basketball player. You may not, however have a great natural athlete.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think people are confusing "skilled" and "athletic." Burrell is incredibly skilled in a number of sports. Drummond is incredibly athletic. If you combined Scott's skill with Andre's athleticism, you'd have an unbelievable talent.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Height has absolutely nothing to do with athletic ability but it has everything to do with drummonds success. He is very athletic and when you combine it with his height you have a dominant basketball player. You may not, however have a great natural athlete.

Agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89