OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
Exit 25 off I84, Waterbury. Best in the state...[/QUOTE

All these votes for Nardelli's is puzzling to me. They have all of the sandwiches pre constructed and then place it on the bun when you order it.

I like to see the guys slice the meat when I order.

Reaction Score
if this is true, then you sir are a king among men. i can do a half and then am forced to beg for mercy.

I don't exactly feel great downing the last couple bites, but yes I done it. Multiple times.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Exit 25 off I84, Waterbury. Best in the state...

Don't go foolin around either, get that sammich on half a loaf of Milite's bread. (You've got to request it). You'll need 2 aspirin when youre done to cure the jaw lock. When I lived "over the river" id have big mom's bring me 3 loafs of that stuff any time she came over. You can only get it in a few select places outside of Waterbury.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A few months ago I would have nominated Italian Kitchen in Manchester for an awesome Capicola but the owners recently sold out.

Reaction Score
Don't go foolin around either, get that sammich on half a loaf of Milite's bread. (You've got to request it). You'll need 2 aspirin when youre done to cure the jaw lock. When I lived "over the river" id have big mom's bring me 3 loafs of that stuff any time she came over. You can only get it in a few select places outside of Waterbury.

Milite's breads are really good.

For fellow Meriden Yarders as close to Torino Bakery or Bonazinga's breads(back in the 60's and 70's) as you can get.

Reaction Score
I'm in surgical sales, so I have a favorite grinder shop near most all of my hospitals. Manchester is CJ's, good bread, fair price.
Midstate is castello's
Waterbury is Nardelli's
Backus is Philly's
Yale is Ray and Mike's in Hamden
The west haven VA is Krausers (the one down the road a bit, not the one across the street, though that one is good too)
Danbury Hospital is Nardelli's Middlesex too.
Griffen it Krausers again.
If anyone has a recommendation near a hospital, I'm open to trying new places. The bread has to be good, not that store bought stuff..

Reaction Score
Milite's breads are really good.

For fellow Meriden Yarders as close to Torino Bakery or Bonazinga's breads(back in the 60's and 70's) as you can get.

been eating milites all my life . so good but your jaw really does get a workout

topps iga in plantsville near drive in has milites also ive seen it at south side market on rt 69 in bristol

Reaction Score
been eating milites all my life . so good but your jaw really does get a workout

topps iga in plantsville near drive in has milites also ive seen it at south side market on rt 69 in bristol

Stop & Shop in Meriden(East Side) carries Milite's bread and rolls.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Good call on Fortunas. I went there for the first time this summer and it definitely reminded me of A&S. Gaetanos in Monroe is just as solid as the original so I'm sure the Westport one will be great as well. Subs translate to branching off way better than pizza.

I work in Westport so I am constantly looking for the best lunch spots. Not only a sub place but Craft Butchery has been hard to beat for lunch.

As a former Westport and current Monroe resident, I approve this message. Gaetano's is fantastic stuff.

Reaction Score
Been going to the Nardelli's off Scott Road (exit 25 Waterbury) like forever. It was 4 years ago that my Brother-in-law (who's originally from Watertown) tipped me off on the Milites Bread request. Wouldn't order it any other way. When I was single, (like forever ago) my mom wouldn't serve spaghetti without Milites & butter on the table.
In Southington, you can easily find it at most deli's, Stop & Shop, & Tops Market.

Reaction Score
Been going to the Nardelli's off Scott Road (exit 25 Waterbury) like forever. It was 4 years ago that my Brother-in-law (who's originally from Watertown) tipped me off on the Milites Bread request. Wouldn't order it any other way. When I was single, (like forever ago) my mom wouldn't serve spaghetti without Milites & butter on the table.
In Southington, you can easily find it at most deli's, Stop & Shop, & Tops Market.

Unbelievable bread, the best coach I agree.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Can somebody refresh my memory, on where the best Wethersfield chicken parm grinders were? Thought I read it in this thread. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Torrington is home to a lot of great grinders. A large Carbone's grinder is four meals. The Godfather from Salerno's may be my favorite sandwich in the state. But my personal favorite place is Alfredo's Deli.

Alfredo's, where the food is so authentic, you don't eat with your back to the door. Used to eat there on a daily basis when I wrote for the Register, or should I say Register-Citizen.

Reaction Score
I'm in surgical sales, so I have a favorite grinder shop near most all of my hospitals. Manchester is CJ's, good bread, fair price.
Midstate is castello's
Waterbury is Nardelli's
Backus is Philly's
Yale is Ray and Mike's in Hamden
The west haven VA is Krausers (the one down the road a bit, not the one across the street, though that one is good too)
Danbury Hospital is Nardelli's Middles e x too.
Griffen it Krausers again.
If anyone has a recommendation near a hospital, I'm open to trying new places. The bread has to be good, not that store bought stuff..

You should try Corso's Deli on Boston Post road it's past the gulf gas station across from auto fair.

There's also a good deli on saw mill rd across from west haven police department use to be called Poppy's deli but think it's been changed to Provenzano's

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stopped at Wethersfield Pizza yesterday on the way home from Bradley after five days in New Orleans, figuring the best way to ease back into normal life in the Northeast was to start with something decadent and epic, like most New Orleans meals are.

That chicken parm grinder is a beast. Absolutely exceeded expectations. One full fed my wife and three kids for dinner, as well as our dog, who managed to grab a 1/4 left too close to the edge of the counter. I ate a half in two sessions. We still have one half left. The woman who owns the place is wonderful, but her advice to plan one half per person was off by 100%.

Minestrone doesn't start until November 1. I'll be back.

Thanks to those who recommended it. The owner asked how I heard about it and I told her that they got lots of mentions here. She seemed floored by that, and very appreciative.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I also tried Wethersfield pizza recently for the chicken cutlet & sauce. The owner was Super nice & appreciative of the business. Been in the game 30 years. Closed Sundays & only open til 7:30.

Grinder was large, a half will fill you up. It was pretty good. I thought the chicken was alittle dry. Overall solid.

My benchmark for the cutlet is Franklin Giant, in Hartford. They're fiesty & pricey in there but the cutlet is delicious. Moist, filling, crunchy, gooey. Ask for it in the oven. You be the judge. Try both.

Reaction Score
I also tried Wethersfield pizza recently for the chicken cutlet & sauce. The owner was Super nice & appreciative of the business. Been in the game 30 years. Closed Sundays & only open til 7:30.

Grinder was large, a half will fill you up. It was pretty good. I thought the chicken was alittle dry. Overall solid.

My benchmark for the cutlet is Franklin Giant, in Hartford. They're fiesty & pricey in there but the cutlet is delicious. Moist, filling, crunchy, gooey. Ask for it in the oven. You be the judge. Try both.

How else would they prepare it other than in the oven?

Reaction Score
Chicken cutlet @ Wethersfield Pizza. One large will feed you for a week.

Just went for lunch and the half was much more than I needed(took 1/2 of the 1/2 home).

Their chicken cutlet was one of the best I have had since my grandmothers(and hers was world class).

And as a special bonus they have Stateline Chips too.

Very good and very friendly service.

Can't wait to go back. Will make this a stop before UCONN games in Hartford for sure.

TY for the tip on this one.

Reaction Score
I've been to Wethersfield Pizza countless times and once or twice it was a little dry. Just depends on how "sauced" it is. But oh my, a glorious, obscenely large grinder. I've also done it as a plain cutlet w/ lettuce, tomato, and mayo and it was quite good. Tuna was solid, too (I'm a sucker for tuna grinders; easy to make, but hard to make well imo)

Reaction Score
I've been to Wethersfield Pizza countless times and once or twice it was a little dry. Just depends on how "sauced" it is. But oh my, a glorious, obscenely large grinder. I've also done it as a plain cutlet w/ lettuce, tomato, and mayo and it was quite good. Tuna was solid, too (I'm a sucker for tuna grinders; easy to make, but hard to make well imo)
To each his own. I prefer my tuna in a taco.

Reaction Score
went to Lino's for lunch today... very good; not the "best" grinder I've ever had, but certainly a place I'd return to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom