OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
I'm a sophomore at UHart, and nothing tastes quite like a Chicken Parm grinder from Hawks Nest (late night on campus cafe). I've had 2 of those this week at 2am between studying for engineering finals. Its nothing special really, but at 2am everything tastes good.

Reaction Score
Had to be in Hartford for work this morning and needed to stop at Alpine Haus on my way back, so I grabbed an early lunch at Wethersfield Pizza. Got a bowl of the minestrone and it was hands down the best and most homemade minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant. Thanks for the rec, Deep. That will be a mainstay for me while it's around if I am anywhere near the joint--even moreso than the chicken parm grinder.

Speaking of which, I also got an 8" chicken parm grinder (their "half") and had her wrap half of that (i.e., 1/4 grinder) to go and serve the other half with the soup. Wayyyyy too much food, even with just a 1/4 of a grinder.

Now I need a nap. And then I've got to figure out a way to get enough exercise between now and dinner to justify eating the other 1/4.

Stopped in today for a chicken parm. No minestrone. I have no idea how they make a dime on that sandwich. My stomach is still full from lunch.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ok...it was a CBG from Lou's in Eagleville in the late 60's. Of course everything tasted good at 2 AM after a night of 60's partying.

Reaction Score
My vote is Nardellis but i recently came across Jersey Mikes in meriden and Holy sh#t! That grinder was excellent! Didnt look like much and the servers were a bunch of teens so i expected the worst but it was one of the best grinders ive ever had easy! I kept it simple with a turkey and bacon with lettuce,tomatoes,onions and mayo.

Reaction Score
Anyone from Danbury or the surrounding towns needs to make a trip to the Brookfield Four corners section and hit up the Brookfield deli for their Bacon Bleu. I'm in Danbury but I head down over there a couple times a month for it.

Reaction Score
Westchester market in colchester.
Try the Italian combo. Heard the meatball is also good.
Freakin huge grinders for a great price.

Deli place in a grocery store, but my co-worker east of the river raved about them and I have to agree. As big if not bigger than Franklin giant grinder in Hartford.

In newington: Steve's place, newington pizza, elm hill, and public market across from elm hill all make great grinders.

Reaction Score
Bennie's Farm Market in Essex used to make the best subs on the planet but they've really gone downhill since the original owners sold it and a new crew is running the show now. Nardelli's is pretty hard to beat too.

Sad, but I think they are closed.

Reaction Score
Nardelli's wouldn't make my top 100. Franklin is still #1 IMO.

Reaction Score
Haven't tried some of these places, but Joey Garlic's in Farmington (might be a few others) has incredible grinders - they're huge, at least two meals each. Great chicken parm, meatballs, pork - but easily the best eggplant parm I've ever tried, ever.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So close to the season I dont want to start another thread, but there needs to be discussion of the best Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast sandwich in CT.

Because other than Pizza and Lobster rolls, that is the only food item I can think of that CT does better than the rest of the country.

BEC on a Hard Roll (and I add hot sauce)

Who is your go to?

Mine is Country Cow in Fairfield.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So close to the season I dont want to start another thread, but there needs to be discussion of the best Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast sandwich in CT.

Because other than Pizza and Lobster rolls, that is the only food item I can think of that CT does better than the rest of the country.

BEC on a Hard Roll (and I add hot sauce)

Who is your go to?

Mine is Country Cow in Fairfield.

Wow, didn't know Country Cow kept up its rep. Went there a lot in high school, mostly for lunch though (breakfast was always Bez's). Huge deli sandwiches at Country Cow.

As for the BEC, I actually had to cut down on those several years ago when my cholesterol shot through the roof. The number one cause was likely the BEC from Deli Unlimited in Guilford, which was a few times a week thing for me for a while. The capper was that they had Portuguese rolls, which are my favorite. And they grilled the roll. But I haven't been there in years.

The rare times that I get them these days, Madison Coffee Shop fills the need pretty well, as does Circle Pizza in North Madison.

Oh, and I would add clam chowder to the list of food items that we do well. There are a couple places like Johnny Ad's and Lenny & Joe's that make it with mostly clear broth, but with just a touch of cream. It's like a cross between Rhode Island and New England. Perfect.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Wow, didn't know Country Cow kept up its rep. Went there a lot in high school, mostly for lunch though (breakfast was always Bez's). Huge deli sandwiches at Country Cow. As for the BEC, I actually had to cut down on those several years ago when my cholesterol shot through the roof. The number one cause was likely the BEC from Deli Unlimited in Guilford, which was a few times a week thing for me for a while. The capper was that they had Portuguese rolls, which are my favorite. And they grilled the roll. But I haven't been there in years. The rare times that I get them these days, Madison Coffee Shop fills the need pretty well, as does Circle Pizza in North Madison. Oh, and I would add clam chowder to the list of food items that we do well. There are a couple places like Johnny Ad's and Lenny & Joe's that make it with mostly clear broth, but with just a touch of cream. It's like a cross between Rhode Island and New England. Perfect.

I sent an intern from Essex to Fairfield to get me country cow a couple weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Lived in upstate NY?

You know what it is? lol Nope born and raised in Stamford CT, and alot of people around me called it a wedge. Now im in VA, and if i say that they look at me like i have horns growing out of my head.

Reaction Score
Visited Nardelli's for the first time - ordered an eggplant/chicken sandwich, and the prepared sandwich was put in a microwave, roll and all. Needless to say, the chicken came out much better than the bread. Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks away from the season and the boneyard is still too boring, why not some grinder talk. I'll kick it off with Salerno's and Carbone's in Torrington.

Definitely Carbones, however I have not been there since ownership changed hands.

Reaction Score
You know what it is? lol Nope born and raised in Stamford CT, and alot of people around me called it a wedge. Now im in VA, and if i say that they look at me like i have horns growing out of my head.
I have friend who grew up in Westchester County and he calls it a Wedge. Looking up its genesis, it comes from both there and Fairfield County. We met through working in Meriden Ct and he didn't know what a Grinder was or if there was any difference between a Pizza and APizza.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Got off the highway in Meriden because I was seriously low on gas. I slipped through a hotel parking lot trying for a better shot to get back on the road. Looked up and there was Nardelli's which I had never visited but heard of here.
It wasn't meal time but I took it as fate. Asked for their most popular sub. Kind of an Italian combo with hot sauce. Excellent!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom