OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
The original Nardelli's
Which one is the original? We were driving through Middletown the other day and had a discussion about never trying their grinders.

Reaction Score
You live in Ft Myers? Me too. While we don't have the type of quality hot grinders CT does I think there are 4 or 5 good choices for cold cut subs. Publix makes some pretty damn good subs, along with Jersee Mike's and one or two other places. Would love to find a great chicken park around here though.
We sometimes go to Jersey Mike's when we are in NC. Closest thing to CT grinders we've ever had out of state.

Reaction Score
Stopped at Wethersfield Pizza yesterday on the way home from Bradley after five days in New Orleans, figuring the best way to ease back into normal life in the Northeast was to start with something decadent and epic, like most New Orleans meals are.

That chicken parm grinder is a beast. Absolutely exceeded expectations. One full fed my wife and three kids for dinner, as well as our dog, who managed to grab a 1/4 left too close to the edge of the counter. I ate a half in two sessions. We still have one half left. The woman who owns the place is wonderful, but her advice to plan one half per person was off by 100%.

Minestrone doesn't start until November 1. I'll be back.

Thanks to those who recommended it. The owner asked how I heard about it and I told her that they got lots of mentions here. She seemed floored by that, and very appreciative.

Hubby was in Hartford yesterday and stopped for grinders. Excellent suggestion! Chicken Parm is very good. The owners continue to be very appreciative of the publicity and aren't really sure who we are, but asked to continue spreading the word. Looking forward the second half of a half for dinner tonight.

Reaction Score
H & M Pizza and Grinders in Windsor Locks - huge and tasty grinders!!
Actress on one of those cop shows used to work there (cant remember the show or her name but she is blond).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Actress on one of those cop shows used to work there (cant remember the show or her name but she is blond).
So the blond actress - that narrows it down!

Reaction Score
Anne's deli Baldwin St in Waterbury with Aventuras and Antonios close behind and the original Nardelis used to be good too but not so much anymore

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thought this post was about strippers?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So the blond actress - that narrows it down!

Don't forget she was on a cop show, too. That ought to whittle down the options for you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh, and by the way? The minestrone is homemade and kick*ss.

Stopped at Wethersfield Pizza yesterday

Minestrone doesn't start until November 1. I'll be back.
Had to be in Hartford for work this morning and needed to stop at Alpine Haus on my way back, so I grabbed an early lunch at Wethersfield Pizza. Got a bowl of the minestrone and it was hands down the best and most homemade minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant. Thanks for the rec, Deep. That will be a mainstay for me while it's around if I am anywhere near the joint--even moreso than the chicken parm grinder.

Speaking of which, I also got an 8" chicken parm grinder (their "half") and had her wrap half of that (i.e., 1/4 grinder) to go and serve the other half with the soup. Wayyyyy too much food, even with just a 1/4 of a grinder.

Now I need a nap. And then I've got to figure out a way to get enough exercise between now and dinner to justify eating the other 1/4.

Reaction Score
Had to be in Hartford for work this morning and needed to stop at Alpine Haus on my way back, so I grabbed an early lunch at Wethersfield Pizza. Got a bowl of the minestrone and it was hands down the best and most homemade minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant. Thanks for the rec, Deep. That will be a mainstay for me while it's around if I am anywhere near the joint--even moreso than the chicken parm grinder.

Speaking of which, I also got an 8" chicken parm grinder (their "half") and had her wrap half of that (i.e., 1/4 grinder) to go and serve the other half with the soup. Wayyyyy too much food, even with just a 1/4 of a grinder.

Now I need a nap. And then I've got to figure out a way to get enough exercise between now and dinner to justify eating the other 1/4.

Never tried their Minestrone but def will when I return for some gluttony. Glad the BY is giving them so much business.

Reaction Score
Never tried their Minestrone but def will when I return for some gluttony. Glad the BY is giving them so much business.
the best minestrone out hear is the Olive Garden
Sad but true.

Reaction Score
Got a bowl of the minestrone and it was hands down the best and most homemade minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant. Thanks for the rec, Deep. That will be a mainstay for me while it's around if I am anywhere near the joint--even moreso than the chicken parm grinder.

Glad to pass it along. Now I'm hungry.....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I should add that the proprietor of Wethersfield Pizza, Maria, has to be one of the nicest and friendliest people on the planet. I ate there this time so I got to observe her for a while as she dealt with a variety of people, and she treated friends, regulars, strangers and first-timers alike with the kind of warmth and grace that is all-too rare these days. She makes every single person feel welcome, and also seems to genuinely try to brighten your day just by being happy, nice and real herself. She is the kind of person to whom you want to give your business, and she is clearly a very hard and dedicated worker and owner.

Reaction Score
Back in the day: Ted's Cheeseburger Grinder. 4 Patties of goodness! No weekend meal plan, this was my go to meal.

Reaction Score
I should add that the proprietor of Wethersfield Pizza, Maria, has to be one of the nicest and friendliest people on the planet. I ate there this time so I got to observe her for a while as she dealt with a variety of people, and she treated friends, regulars, strangers and first-timers alike with the kind of warmth and grace that is all-too rare these days. She makes every single person feel welcome, and also seems to genuinely try to brighten your day just by being happy, nice and real herself. She is the kind of person to whom you want to give your business, and she is clearly a very hard and dedicated worker and owner.

True that... An incredibly nice woman who genuinely enjoys serving you delicious food.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Mystic CT.

Italian Deli, on Lincoln ST. Fresh crusty bread. Fresh ingredients, Oregano and oil.

Reaction Score
P&G just a block or two north of Franklin Giant Grinders was the best. They closed. Franklin is the best I have tried. Their pizza is very heavy and very good too.
P & G was where the South End junkies hung out back in the day. You are right, slightly better than Franklin Giant Grinder.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We sometimes go to Jersey Mike's when we are in NC. Closest thing to CT grinders we've ever had out of state.

Publix allows you to pick you own bread not just from their little bread case but off the regular bread the shelf. Grab a loaf of crusty french bread and bring it to the grinder counter and they make it out of that. The bread is much better. Also try the five grain bread.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I had a jersey mikes "italian" in the Vegas airport this afternoon. For a fast food sandwich it was pretty damned good.

Reaction Score
Glad Torrington is getting props. Carbones, Salernos and Alfredo's gets the praise. Don't sleep on jimmys. The Persechino family make their own sauce, meatballs and everything else in the building. This place is so authentic. Lines are long at lunch. I used to go to a and s in Fairfield and every place in new haven. You want a sandwich go to Torrington. You want the best I think you have 4 different places to go. Despite all being Italian they are all different. Carbon does everything bigger and better. You feel like you are stepping back to 80s or 70s. Not just sandwiches. Alfredo tries to perfect the sandwich and it's great. Salerno is giant amazing meat ssndwiches. Jimmys is like your mom was Italian and has you over for lunch every day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom