Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw Finn against my school, Weaver. I don't recall that he had a great game, but he was very highly regarded

There were so many great hs players from my era,, 2 of whom I gat to know in later years. Lloyd Hinchey was a 3 time high school all stater from Norwich. He was a great shooter, about 6'2". He went to college at Holy Cross when they were good. Fresh had to play on a freshmen team. He broke their scoring records, a school that produce Cousy, Heinsohn and Jack Foley. Then he hurt his knee and was never quite the same. I guarded him for a few minutes in our law school league. I was not very successful.

The other was Gene Reilly from Bulkeley. Great ball handler and shooter, great baseball pitcher. He went to Central which was aDivision II power and became a Littlle All Anerican. We Weaver kids didn't like him. As the world is small, my son married Reilly's niece. He was in my home a few times. Gene, known from little league days as"Chucker" died 2 years ago after a long illness. He coached the Portland CT high school hoops for many years.

Didn't Reilly play on that Buckley team that played the passng game (slowdown) to perfection.
When they played in the New England Tourny one Boston writer suggested that team set basketball back 20 or 30 years.
Didn't they finish as runner-up in Ct
,but have won the New England's.

For you young guys the two finalist in each state's top division went to Boston Garden to Compete.
In the New England Tourney.
Connecticut teams dominated even a few CT runner ups won when our State Champ was upset.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Didn't Reilly play on that Buckley team that played the passng game (slowdown) to perfection.
When they played in the New England Tourny one Boston writer suggested that team set basketball back 20 or 30 years.

For you young guys the two finalist in each state's top division went to Boston Garden to Compete.
Connecticut teams dominated even a few CT runner ups won when our State Champ was upset.

I think you're right about that championship game. I think slow down wasn't their usual style, bit I think the team they were playing was overall much taller and heavily favored. so they did what they needed to win. Their coach was Lou Bazzano who was a counselor at the camp I went to as a kid. Many coaches in the Hartford and New Britain systems were counselors event though it wasn't really a sports camp.

Reaction Score
When were you at Weaver?

I had a friend back in ha who was 7 years younger than Space. A decent but not great player, he challenged Egan who was in college to a one on one. The rule was Egan had to play one handed with his off (left) hand and his right hand always behind his back. Egan destroyed him.
I saw Finn against my school, Weaver. I don't recall that he had a great game, but he was very highly regarded

There were so many great hs players from my era,, 2 of whom I gat to know in later years. Lloyd Hinchey was a 3 time high school all stater from Norwich. He was a great shooter, about 6'2". He went to college at Holy Cross when they were good. Fresh had to play on a freshmen team. He broke their scoring records, a school that produce Cousy, Heinsohn and Jack Foley. Then he hurt his knee and was never quite the same. I guarded him for a few minutes in our law school league. I was not very successful.

The other was Gene Reilly from Bulkeley. Great ball handler and shooter, great baseball pitcher. He went to Central which was aDivision II power and became a Littlle All Anerican. We Weaver kids didn't like him. As the world is small, my son married Reilly's niece. He was in my home a few times. Gene, known from little league days as"Chucker" died 2 years ago after a long illness. He coached the Portland CT high school hoops for many years.
Mr Melrose had to step down as Weaver principal because of heart problems. When his health improved, he took over at Bulkeley for the '68 - '69 school year. Just before he passed away, I talked to him at a Civic Center game.

Gene came close to being a Weaver guy. The family moved to the south end just before he started high school. His great team lost 4 times to Eddie Griffin's Hartford High team. Ironically, Eddie coached Bulkeley to two State Championships.

Reaction Score

They lost to Hartford Public in the NE Championship game. My first day at Bulkeley, they showed the video to all of the freshman boys.

Reaction Score
1. Calvin Murphy
2. Corny Thompson
3. Anthony Harris
4. Walter Luckett
5. John Williamson

Reaction Score
They lost to Hartford Public in the NE Championship game. My first day at Bulkeley, they showed the video to all of the freshman boys.
Attached is a great web site on The New England tourney
Unfortunate I couldn't copy it as a link on my I Pad
Buckley beat Cambrige Ridge High school in their first game before losing to Public
The Mass team was lead
by a kid named Mike Jarvis
Egan scored 36 in the 1957 final 12 in OT including two free throws with no time remaining.
Barring injury I believe he would have been NBA HOF

https://sites.google.com/site/frankspanky/thenewenglandhighschoolchampionshi

Reaction Score
Was pondering this earlier today. Then I thought who would know such answers. It could only be found in the boneyard. Andre Drummond? Michael Adams, Marcus Camby? I hope no one mentions Ryan Gomes.

I love this post and read all of the comments with delight. I learned a lot! So many terrific players! Ted Hathaway's name brought back memories. Did Wilbur Pope get a mention?

I think Albert Weston deserves a shout out. I think he was All-State all 4 years in HS. Smoothest player ever. Ever. Went on and had a good career at UConn and then became a physician.

Reaction Score
Al Weston was All State for each of his four years at Cromwell High.

If there are others who achieved this, I don't know who it may be, but this is a darn rare feat.

Reaction Score
A few years ago I found myself driving through Las Cruces, NM on the way to El Paso. I noticed New Mexico State had a home game that night and stopped in. Super John has his retired jersey up in the rafters. All I could think the entire time I was there was how the hell did a kid from New Haven end up here? Well? Can anyone help me?
Was living in New Haven in 68-69 and followed Super John Sr HS season-was amazing player. Later I worked with a guy from NMS who saw his college career there and was in awe of his bb skills. Later still I had surgery at Yale NH hospital and a pretty nurse took care of me-said she was his daughter!

Reaction Score
Coaching is HS is so so important and with that some kind of structure/discipline for these kids to take with them. Interesting post - didn't he end up at Hawaii? Or am I thinking of another real great CT scorer in Phil Lott out of Waterbury?
They both ended up at Hawaii, Lott is one of their all-time leading scorers.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The point is Ct has produced a lot of good players , Especially although not exclusively the Cities.
I think drugs and violence has stifled the development in the last 20-30 years.
In the 60's and 70's the Dixwell Ave (New Haven )courts were jammed with people.
The young learned from the old. It was kind of an apprenticeship.An NBA player might even drop by.
In 80's and 90's they any many of CT cities breeding grounds for the sport sadly became unsafe. The game has suffered for it.
To allow kids to develop their natural skills playing against good competition is essential.

Summers in the early 60s, I played every day at Washington Park in Bridgeport. In the 80s and 9s, that park became an open drug mart. The court had big holes in it. Only one basket even had a rim on the backboard. The neighborhood was known for drugs and murders.

Drove through there last year on my way to a funeral. The place is gorgeous! There were families spending time in the park, kids in the playground, actually playing, and the basketball court was a thing of beauty. Only saw about 20 seconds of basketball, but it looked like a game, not a bunch of kids standing around shooting. It was good to see!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Thanks! I thought for sure Walter Luckett played NBA ball. Cavaliers? Was he injured before ever playing?

Drafted by Detroit in the 2nd round. Arthritis stopped him, not an injury per se.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Surprised Jack Kvancz hasn't even been mentioned in passing.

Or Al Clinkscales, for that matter. Although there may not be anyone here old enough to have seen him play -- other than with the Globetrotters.

Reaction Score

Or Al Clinkscales, for that matter. Although there may not be anyone here old enough to have seen him play -- other than with the Globetrotters.

Reaction Score

I saw him play for the Milford Chiefs against the Ansonia Norwood AC at Shelton HS
Both were loaded with Ringers from out of State. rumor was maybe Wilt my be there as he was in a contract dispute.
I think Al was the only Chief regular that saw action.
The Ansonia Team had a bunch of guys banned from the NBA
UK 7 ft center Bill Spivey scored 67
Former CCNY AA Ed Roman from the only double champion team( NIT and NCAA )
Was there and another former UK guard
The prelim was a women's game between a touring team and a mostly CT team lead by Joan Joyce of Waterbury who scored thirty mostly on long jump shots.
She would start today for UConn women

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I saw him play for the Milford Chiefs against the Ansonia Norwood AC at Shelton HS
Both were loaded with Ringers from out of State. rumor was maybe Wilt my be there as he was in a contract dispute.
The prelim was a women's game between a touring team and a mostly CT team lead by Joan Joyce of Waterbury who scored thirty mostly on long jump shots.

He was drafted by the Knicks, but his mother told him to accept the Globetrotters offer instead, as she'd heard of them, but wasn't so sure the NBA would be in business more than a few years.

And I agree about Joan. Used to watch her pitch. Amazing athlete. Never saw her play basketball, but heard she was every bit as good at that as baseball.

Reaction Score

Joan Joyce wasn't a great "athlete" like the UConn women of today so as just a jump shooter, she may have been too slow to play now.

Oh wait, KML was pretty good and it sounds just like her? :oops:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Joan Joyce wasn't a great "athlete" like the UConn women of today so as just a jump shooter, she may have been too slow to play now.

Not sure how you can say she wasn't a great athlete. As a pitcher, she once won 42 games in a season, including 38 shutouts, and her lifetime ERA is 0.09. A hundred and fifty shutouts lifetime, including 50 no hitters. As an offensive player? She doesn't hold the records for most doubles and triples because she's slow. In '71 she batted .471.

I believe her US Womens' National Baskteball Team record of 67 points still stands some 50 years later.

After softball, basketball and volleyball were over for her, she took up golf and played on the LPGA tour.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you can say she wasn't a great athlete. As a pitcher, she once won 42 games in a season, including 38 shutouts, and her lifetime ERA is 0.09. A hundred and fifty shutouts lifetime, including 50 no hitters. As an offensive player? She doesn't hold the records for most doubles and triples because she's slow. In '71 she batted .471.

I believe her US Womens' National Baskteball Team record of 67 points still stands some 50 years later.

After softball, basketball and volleyball were over for her, she took up golf and played on the LPGA tour.
She was an incredible athlete for a human ,never mind women.
Ted Williams called her the best Pitcher he ever faced
But to me her PGA or LPGA record for having only 16 putts in an 18 hole round is almost beyond belief. I will take that for 9 holes anytime..When you add in she never golfed unless she was 36 year of age its makes it all the more improbable.

She coached softball at Fla Atlantic
The US Gold Medal winning team was in town .
She took her team to watch them practice.and a lot of th girls wanted autographs
Although her players knew she had been a great player they didn't really grasp the magnitude of her legend until the US team heard She was there and rushed to Joanie for an autograph.
In that sport she is the Babe Ruth or Michael Jorden.

Reaction Score
Sorry I was having fun on KML's behalf and things didn't work out that good. But let's not let all the doubles and triples on 45 foot base paths against teams that were horrid lead you astray. She was GREAT I agree, the LPGA thing was incredible and she was really good at so many things I know that. As she played internationally and nationally she along with her teams were always by far the best, much of the reason being her no doubt as a women's pitcher she was 2nd to none.

Anyway the KML thing didn't work so forget it ;)

Reaction Score
She was way before my time as was Babe Didrickson Zaharias and Babe Ruth but I also know they were good as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom