Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
New Haven had all that talent and 0 went to UConn, And it went beyond New Haven. That is why the great Chris Smith was such an important recruit.
Back in our cellar dweller days of the BE, my buddies and I would imagine a "what if?" team of CT natives and it was an impressive team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The Space Man! Probaby the best to never play at Hartford Public was Iverson, the whole Iverson family seems to be in Hartford except for Allen and his mom.

Yup, Egan the Space Man. He is a bit older than me. The Egans lived on my street but several blocvks up

Weaver hsd a guy well before my time who is not on that list but who i think has a brief NBA careerwith maybe the Knicks, Ron Harris.

Reaction Score
New Haven had all that talent and 0 went to UConn, And it went beyond New Haven. That is why the great Chris Smith was such an important recruit.
Back in our cellar dweller days of the BE, my buddies and I would imagine a "what if?" team of CT natives and it was an impressive team.

Earl was from Wilbur Cross and a damn good player.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...oss-earl-kelley-led-nation-in-scoring-in-1982

In terms of high school success, Earl Kelley did pretty well. Highest scoring player in the country his senior year at Cross. Helped the Governors beat Cambridge (Mass.) Rindge and Latin, the only high school loss in Patrick Ewing's career. He broke "Super" John Williamson's New Haven city record with 57 points against Hamden. Two weeks later, despite double- and triple-teams by West Haven, he beat his own mark with 60 points. He left UConn as the program's fifth-leading scorer with 1,592 points and ranked number 3 in free throws and free throw percentage. The first player in UConn basketball history to lead the team in scoring for four consecutive seasons. Yeah, he was okay.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Earl was from Wilbur Cross and a damn good player.

Definitely should have said none of that talent"except Earl".The problems he had make too many people ignore his accomplishments. I didn't mean to add to that.

Reaction Score
Tom Roy the 6'10 kid from South Windsor that started on top 10 Maryland teams in the 70's isn't even mentioned but I don't think the state had seen a big agile player like that until Camby.

Reaction Score
Vin Baker should be mentioned not for his High School career but because of his Olympic gold medal in 2000 and he was a multi time NBA All Star before his alcohol troubles. Overall, Calvin Murphy would get my vote.

Reaction Score
Most of you are too young for him, but a guy who went to my high school - Weaver in Hartford - John Egan wasn't too shabby. Led them to an undefeated season his last year including winning the great old New England tournament, was an AA at Providence and then played several NBA seasons as well as coaching in the NBA.

The best player not to play in the NBA was probably Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public. Great high school player.

But I'd give Murphy the vote. Pound for pound the best. Williamson would be a close second.

Egan played for the Lakers I believe.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he played for five or six teams including the Lakers. Played about 2 years on the average for each team.

Reaction Score
I'm not from Hartford but I was a basketball Junkie( shock) with a radio.
Johnny was one of my boyhood idols.
His duel will Kenny Tullo and his great Hillhouse team was legendary.
I think Weaver beat Hillhouse as John scored 42 to Kenny's 40
He also made two clutch FT to send the NE tourney final to OT where I believe he scored every point. As Connecticut team won yet another in a tourney they dominated. It was a great event
I listened to the game and he will forever be a hero .
Many high school games especially The New Haven and Hartford schools
Were broadcast. ''
He was an incredible athlete whose jumping ability earned him the nickname
The spaceman.
As a sophomore and Junior he teamed with Lennie Wilkins to put PC basketball on the map.
Wilkens who may be a NBA HOFer was second fiddle to John when they teamed together at PC.
Egan torn his knee badly in college ,and played the rest of his career with a brace.
He lead PC to the NIT title where he averaged over 30 a game.
Playing on a bad knee he managed a ten year NBA career mostly with Houston
Who he also coached.
I have no doubt that if he didn't get hurt he would be mentioned with the all time greats.
Incredible handle , great shooter, and ice water in his veins .
I don't know if he is the best ever but he should never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vin Baker should be mentioned not for his High School career but because of his Olympic gold medal in 2000 and he was a multi time NBA All Star before his alcohol troubles. Overall, Calvin Murphy would get my vote.

Vin's son started his freshman year @ his dad's hometown high school tall but thin.

Reaction Score
A name that most people never heard of and I never actually saw play was a Waterbury kid named (Billy?)Finn from Sacred Heart,he was killed in an auto accident as a young man.
I only know of him from talking to older guys . His ball handling was so electric,that every city kid try to copy him.. Kind of a Pete Maravich hotdog style that kids love. He may not of been the greatest but was certainly influential in CT BB development.
From a pure shooter standpoint
Bridgeport Centrals Porky Vieira who still holds QC scoring records .
(If you played on the same team as him your only job was to get him the ball.)
New Canaan's Gary Liberatore who scored over 3000 points at UNH (New Haven)before the three point shot .( His normal jump shot was NBA three worthy)
Could hoist them up with the best of them. As could Walt Luckett who was slowed by injury in college,from little Kolbe in Bridgeport.
The point is Ct has produced a lot of good players , Especially although not exclusively the Cities.
I think drugs and violence has stifled the development in the last 20-30 years.
In the 60's and 70's the Dixwell Ave (New Haven )courts were jammed with people.
The young learned from the old. It was kind of an apprenticeship.An NBA player might even drop by.
In 80's and 90's they any many of CT cities breeding grounds for the sport sadly became unsafe. The game has suffered for it.
To allow kids to develop their natural skills playing against good competition is essential.

Reaction Score
I'm not from Hartford but I was a basketball Junkie( shock) with a radio.
Johnny was one of my boyhood idols.
His duel will Kenny Tullo and his great Hillhouse team was legendary.
I think Weaver beat Hillhouse as John scored 42 to Kenny's 40
He also made two clutch FT to send the NE tourney final to OT where I believe he scored every point. As Connecticut team won yet another in a tourney they dominated. It was a great event
I listened to the game and he will forever be a hero .
Many high school games especially The New Haven and Hartford schools
Were broadcast. ''
He was an incredible athlete whose jumping ability earned him the nickname
The spaceman.
As a sophomore and Junior he teamed with Lennie Wilkins to put PC basketball on the map.
Wilkens who may be a NBA HOFer was second fiddle to John when they teamed together at PC.
Egan torn his knee badly in college ,and played the rest of his career with a brace.
He lead PC to the NIT title where he averaged over 30 a game.
Playing on a bad knee he managed a ten year NBA career mostly with Houston
Who he also coached.
I have no doubt that if he didn't get hurt he would be mentioned with the all time greats.
Incredible handle , great shooter, and ice water in his veins .
I don't know if he is the best ever but he should never be forgotten.

Johnny and I had the same high school principal, Ezra Melrose, a truly dedicated hoops fan. Ezra told me that Johnny could dunk flat-footed. Despite this, Bobby Knight was the best ever from Hartford. He left the NBA because the Globetrotters paid him a lot more money. Bob Nash of Hartford Public and the KC Kings was left off the list. Calvin,who had a cousin from Charter Oak Terrace, showed up at our playground and was AMAZING. He's the best.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see Calvin but heard how good he was. Having seen Walter Luckett and Super John Williamson play I know he would have to have been truly special to be better as HS player. We had a lot more good one's than people can imagine from our state that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see Calvin but heard how good he was.

Mau thought you and others might like this from my 1966 Norwalk HS Yearbook:

"Murphy was invited to participate in the Dapper Dan Tournament and the Allentown Classic.

Playing with the best high school players in the United States there was some question whether Calvin could compete with boys often a foot taller than him. In Pittsburg Murphy was elected Captain of his team, the United States All-Stars. In their game against the Pennsylvania All-Stars Murphy's performance earned him the
"Most Valuable Player" honors. His shooting was incredable in that he scored 37 points in 29 minutes while sinking 13 of 14 free throws.

But, an even greater thrill awaited those fans who made the trip to Allentown. Calvin left no doubt in anyone's mind why he is the best high school cager in America. Against the best players in the United States. Murphy poured in 62 points to the amazement of college coaches John Wooden of UCLA and Adolph Rupp of Kentucky who hailed the Connecticut star as the best guard in 15 years."

He also scored 59 in the CT class L championship game vs South Catholic. (93-76)
Norwalk's only loss that year was to cross town Brien McMahon, lead by Marvin Spencer who succeeded Calvin the following year as New England top scorer (ppg). The third HS in Norwalk, Central Catholic, had a guy named Joe Pantoya(sp) who lead NE in scoring the year following Marvin. Central Catholic merged with Stamford Catholic to become Trinity Catholic.

Reaction Score
Mau thought you and others might like this from my 1966 Norwalk HS Yearbook:

"Murphy was invited to participate in the Dapper Dan Tournament and the Allentown Classic.

Playing with the best high school players in the United States there was some question whether Calvin could compete with boys often a foot taller than him. In Pittsburg Murphy was elected Captain of his team, the United States All-Stars. In their game against the Pennsylvania All-Stars Murphy's performance earned him the
"Most Valuable Player" honors. His shooting was incredable in that he scored 37 points in 29 minutes while sinking 13 of 14 free throws.

But, an even greater thrill awaited those fans who made the trip to Allentown. Calvin left no doubt in anyone's mind why he is the best high school cager in America. Against the best players in the United States. Murphy poured in 62 points to the amazement of college coaches John Wooden of UCLA and Adolph Rupp of Kentucky who hailed the Connecticut star as the best guard in 15 years."

He also scored 59 in the CT class L championship game vs South Catholic. (93-76)
Norwalk's only loss that year was to cross town Brien McMahon, lead by Marvin Spencer who succeeded Calvin the following year as New England top scorer (ppg). The third HS in Norwalk, Central Catholic, had a guy named Joe Pantoya(sp) who lead NE in scoring the year following Marvin. Central Catholic merged with Stamford Catholic to become Trinity Catholic.

Great story thanks. Almost could say he "only" made 13 of 14 FT's? He was automatic right?

Reaction Score
Most of you are too young for him, but a guy who went to my high school - Weaver in Hartford - John Egan wasn't too shabby. Led them to an undefeated season his last year including winning the great old New England tournament, was an AA at Providence and then played several NBA seasons as well as coaching in the NBA.

The best player not to play in the NBA was probably Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public. Great high school player.

But I'd give Murphy the vote. Pound for pound the best. Williamson would be a close second.
And for the older guys... Doug Wardlaw, Wilbur Cross, then Loyola Ramblers in mid-60s just after they were national champs in 1963. 5'11" forward. One of my favorites, never did much, but man he could play... Ted Hathaway, Middletown, early 70s.

Reaction Score
And for the older guys... Doug Wardlaw, Wilbur Cross, then Loyola Ramblers in mid-60s just after they were national champs in 1963. 5'11" forward. One of my favorites, never did much, but man he could play... Ted Hathaway, Middletown, early 70s.

Ted Hathaway - was trying to think of him. Lived a town over and he was a legend in hoops, a guy who never touched his potential from what many said.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Johnny and I had the same high school principal, Ezra Melrose, a truly dedicated hoops fan. Ezra told me that Johnny could dunk flat-footed. Despite this, Bobby Knight was the best ever from Hartford. He left the NBA because the Globetrotters paid him a lot more money. Bob Nash of Hartford Public and the KC Kings was left off the list. Calvin,who had a cousin from Charter Oak Terrace, showed up at our playground and was AMAZING. He's the best.

When were you at Weaver?

I had a friend back in ha who was 7 years younger than Space. A decent but not great player, he challenged Egan who was in college to a one on one. The rule was Egan had to play one handed with his off (left) hand and his right hand always behind his back. Egan destroyed him.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A name that most people never heard of and I never actually saw play was a Waterbury kid named (Billy?)Finn from Sacred Heart,he was killed in an auto accident as a young man.
I only know of him from talking to older guys . His ball handling was so electric,that every city kid try to copy him.. Kind of a Pete Maravich hotdog style that kids love. He may not of been the greatest but was certainly influential in CT BB development.
From a pure shooter standpoint
Bridgeport Centrals Porky Vieira who still holds QC scoring records .
(If you played on the same team as him your only job was to get him the ball.)
New Canaan's Gary Liberatore who scored over 3000 points at UNH (New Haven)before the three point shot .( His normal jump shot was NBA three worthy)
Could hoist them up with the best of them. As could Walt Luckett who was slowed by injury in college,from little Kolbe in Bridgeport.
The point is Ct has produced a lot of good players , Especially although not exclusively the Cities.
I think drugs and violence has stifled the development in the last 20-30 years.
In the 60's and 70's the Dixwell Ave (New Haven )courts were jammed with people.
The young learned from the old. It was kind of an apprenticeship.An NBA player might even drop by.
In 80's and 90's they any many of CT cities breeding grounds for the sport sadly became unsafe. The game has suffered for it.
To allow kids to develop their natural skills playing against good competition is essential.

I saw Finn against my school, Weaver. I don't recall that he had a great game, but he was very highly regarded

There were so many great hs players from my era,, 2 of whom I gat to know in later years. Lloyd Hinchey was a 3 time high school all stater from Norwich. He was a great shooter, about 6'2". He went to college at Holy Cross when they were good. Fresh had to play on a freshmen team. He broke their scoring records, a school that produce Cousy, Heinsohn and Jack Foley. Then he hurt his knee and was never quite the same. I guarded him for a few minutes in our law school league. I was not very successful.

The other was Gene Reilly from Bulkeley. Great ball handler and shooter, great baseball pitcher. He went to Central which was aDivision II power and became a Littlle All Anerican. We Weaver kids didn't like him. As the world is small, my son married Reilly's niece. He was in my home a few times. Gene, known from little league days as"Chucker" died 2 years ago after a long illness. He coached the Portland CT high school hoops for many years.

Reaction Score
Anthony Harris was the best high school player I ever saw. . . . He made a bad decision to go to Syracuse, got out if shape, got in trouble with some other teammates including a bar fight, went to Juco then Hawaii. I will always say it was the greatest waste of talent I've seen. The kid could handle the rock, was deadly from three and beat anyone to to rim (great hops too).
I was a few years older than Harris, but I played against him in some pick up games on the Balmforth avenue courts. Easily the quickest player I was ever on the court with. A guy named Donnel Diggs was at Danbury at the same time. The two of them had the quickest jump I have ever seen. Diggs had bad knees, as I recall, and ended up at Hartford. Saw him in DC many years later. Guy was doing close-grip (hands touching) bench presses with 225 - for a warm up.

Anthony was done before he ever got to college. Boeheim recruited him on talent alone. What Anthony was missing was any sort of work ethic or team awareness. A close friend of mine, who was close to Valvano back in the day, watched Anthony with me one time at DHS. Within 5 minutes he said, "I don't like him." Kid came out wearing different colored sneakers than everybody else on the team, which, back then, was not the norm. Had a big shot attitude. Didn't show leadership, effort, and so on. But man, could he score and sail and such.

I think there is no way Calhoun could have straightened him out. What he needed was a better HS coach. I played for the same couch at DHS as Anthony. Can't recall his name, but he was tall (maybe 6/4), and a really nice guy. But he was a terrible coach. Absolutely terrible. No structure. Practices were disorganized. Very little skills training. Just awful. After 3 years of that, Anthony's habits were probably set.

Reaction Score
I was a few years older than Harris, but I played against him in some pick up games on the Balmforth avenue courts. Easily the quickest player I was ever on the court with. A guy named Donnel Diggs was at Danbury at the same time. The two of them had the quickest jump I have ever seen. Diggs had bad knees, as I recall, and ended up at Hartford. Saw him in DC many years later. Guy was doing close-grip (hands touching) bench presses with 225 - for a warm up.

Anthony was done before he ever got to college. Boeheim recruited him on talent alone. What Anthony was missing was any sort of work ethic or team awareness. A close friend of mine, who was close to Valvano back in the day, watched Anthony with me one time at DHS. Within 5 minutes he said, "I don't like him." Kid came out wearing different colored sneakers than everybody else on the team, which, back then, was not the norm. Had a big shot attitude. Didn't show leadership, effort, and so on. But man, could he score and sail and such.

I think there is no way Calhoun could have straightened him out. What he needed was a better HS coach. I played for the same couch at DHS as Anthony. Can't recall his name, but he was tall (maybe 6/4), and a really nice guy. But he was a terrible coach. Absolutely terrible. No structure. Practices were disorganized. Very little skills training. Just awful. After 3 years of that, Anthony's habits were probably set.

Coaching is HS is so so important and with that some kind of structure/discipline for these kids to take with them. Interesting post - didn't he end up at Hawaii? Or am I thinking of another real great CT scorer in Phil Lott out of Waterbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom