Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Basketball Player from State of CT (played HS in state)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.Just want to throw out there names of some other great players that haven't been mentioned yet. I agree with a lot of others on this board that Calvin Murphy was the best ever from CT.
  • "Rocket" Rod Foster - fastest guard in college. Went to UCLA.
  • Sly Williams - bit of a head case but great player
  • Corny Thompson. Coming out of HS he was a top 5 player in the country. UNC wanted him but went to UConn. Without him UConn doesn't get into the Big East, JC doesn't come to coach, and we'd be playing Maine and Vermont.
  • "Soup" Campbell. - in HS he was Batman to Super John Williamson's Robin. Hillhouse was the top ranked HS in the entire country when they were seniors together.
  • Wes Matthews. Starred at Wisconsin, and his kid ended up being a star at Marquette.
Super John and Campbell were at Wilbur Cross and they were best team in the nation.

Reaction Score
.Just want to throw out there names of some other great players that haven't been mentioned yet. I agree with a lot of others on this board that Calvin Murphy was the best ever from CT.
  • Corny Thompson. Coming out of HS he was a top 5 player in the country. UNC wanted him but went to UConn. Without him UConn doesn't get into the Big East, JC doesn't come to coach, and we'd be playing Maine and Vermont.
  • "Soup" Campbell. - in HS he was Batman to Super John Williamson's Robin. Hillhouse was the top ranked HS in the entire country when they were seniors together.
  • Wes Matthews. Starred at Wisconsin, and his kid ended up being a star at Marquette.
Like your avatar! DYK part of Slapshot was filmed in Norwalk at the old Crystal Rink?

Reaction Score
You are way off buddy. Super John and Soup played at Wilbur Cross not Hillhouse. Super John was ahead of Soup gradewise and talent wise so he was Batman to Soup's Robin. Actually what you probably meant was Soup was Batman to Jiggy Williamson's (Johns kid brother) Robin. Wilbur Cross was Number 1 in the country in the early 70's. However it should be noted that Hillhouse was arguably #2 in the country in 68-69. They finished 19-1 I believe, with the only loss coming to the consenus #1 Boy's High of NYC. The game was played in Yale's Payne Whitney Gym (no New Haven Colosseum yet) and Boy's High won by 5 or 6 points. The game was probably the greatest hs game played in state history.

Reaction Score
What's that guys name that played in the park with us? Damn memory playing tricks on me!

Reaction Score
Super John and Campbell were at Wilbur Cross and they were best team in the nation.
Wes Matthews, Mike McKay and John Bagley were on the same Warren Harding HS team circa 1977. Matthews a senior, McKay a Junior and Bags a soph. Long before USA Today did high school rankings many considered this the best HS team in the country. 3 NBAers. I was at Ludlowe and played against that team as a sophomore (Bags' class). It was something like 75-20.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Super John at 45! I don't think so.

A few years ago I found myself driving through Las Cruces, NM on the way to El Paso. I noticed New Mexico State had a home game that night and stopped in. Super John has his retired jersey up in the rafters. All I could think the entire time I was there was how the hell did a kid from New Haven end up here? Well? Can anyone help me?

Reaction Score
You are way off buddy. Super John and Soup played at Wilbur Cross not Hillhouse. Super John was ahead of Soup gradewise and talent wise so he was Batman to Soup's Robin. Actually what you probably meant was Soup was Batman to Jiggy Williamson's (Johns kid brother) Robin. Wilbur Cross was Number 1 in the country in the early 70's. However it should be noted that Hillhouse was arguably #2 in the country in 68-69. They finished 19-1 I believe, with the only loss coming to the consenus #1 Boy's High of NYC. The game was played in Yale's Payne Whitney Gym (no New Haven Colosseum yet) and Boy's High won by 5 or 6 points. The game was probably the greatest hs game played in state history.

Tough crowd...thanks for the update. I did get Soup's nickname correct. First name was Bruce and he ended up going to PC while they were still basking in the glory years of Marvin Barnes. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm misremembering. Could be that it was Sly Williams who went to PC and not Campbell. (actually, now that I think about it, Sly DID go to PC...for 1 day, then transferred to URI...classic!)

Glory years of New Haven high school basketball. Shortly followed by the glory years of Bridgeport basketball.

Reaction Score
Don't have a problem with the names on the list but the order is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Tough crowd...thanks for the update. I did get Soup's nickname correct. First name was Bruce and he ended up going to PC while they were still basking in the glory years of Marvin Barnes. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm misremembering. Could be that it was Sly Williams who went to PC and not Campbell. (actually, now that I think about it, Sly DID go to PC...for 1 day, then transferred to URI...classic!)

Glory years of New Haven high school basketball. Shortly followed by the glory years of Bridgeport basketball.
Williams went to URI an Campbell to PC I believe.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I understand that the criteria seems to be NBA success, but Earl Kelley for my money was the best player the state ever produced. He AVERAGED close to 50 points his senior year in high school, in the most competitive league the state had.
PLUS he got rid of Perno!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This is a really interesting thread and got me thinking. First thing I looked at that list and looked for my father. He played for Uconn in the early 60's and actually at one point broke the single game high school scoring record(at the time) while playing at Milford prep(now academy) with 39 points! He did not play much at Uconn as he was my height about 5'9 but man could he shoot. They called him Radar. His name was Larry Gofberg and he played for the 62/63 squad.

It also made me think of my High school days and the stars of that time. Windsor High school(my home town) had a guy who averaged over 20 a game who was 6'3 had mad hops and could shoot. He took them to the class LL semifinal where they lost to Hillhouse and Anthony Harris. This was unheard for Windsor. They beat Weaver that year who had two stars, one was Micheal Williams who went to Umass(I can hear the boos). But Weaver had another guy that year who we were far more impressed by. We went to weaver to watch them play Hall. They had a guy named Herdol Christie. He has like 6'3 and had an NBA body. We saw him dunk over 2 guys in the hall game and back then that was a big deal. This thread made me look him up. I figured he never played anywhere else but he went to bridgeport and was a real star for them in division 2. I guess just a little small for someone with big man skills. Anyway great thread, go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Calvin, Wes M, Corny T, John Williamson and Walter Luckett (cover of SI)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Most of you are too young for him, but a guy who went to my high school - Weaver in Hartford - John Egan wasn't too shabby. Led them to an undefeated season his last year including winning the great old New England tournament, was an AA at Providence and then played several NBA seasons as well as coaching in the NBA.

The best player not to play in the NBA was probably Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public. Great high school player.

But I'd give Murphy the vote. Pound for pound the best. Williamson would be a close second.

Reaction Score
As far as best HS player ever it may have been Luckett.

Best player from HS to NBA career is as cohen said either Calvin or Super John. Super John was really good by the way.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This is a really interesting thread and got me thinking. First thing I looked at that list and looked for my father. He played for Uconn in the early 60's and actually at one point broke the single game high school scoring record(at the time) while playing at Milford prep(now academy) with 39 points! He did not play much at Uconn as he was my height about 5'9 but man could he shoot. They called him Radar. His name was Larry Gofberg and he played for the 62/63 squad.

It also made me think of my High school days and the stars of that time. Windsor High school(my home town) had a guy who averaged over 20 a game who was 6'3 had mad hops and could shoot. He took them to the class LL semifinal where they lost to Hillhouse and Anthony Harris. This was unheard for Windsor. They beat Weaver that year who had two stars, one was Micheal Williams who went to Umass(I can hear the boos). But Weaver had another guy that year who we were far more impressed by. We went to weaver to watch them play Hall. They had a guy named Herdol Christie. He has like 6'3 and had an NBA body. We saw him dunk over 2 guys in the hall game and back then that was a big deal. This thread made me look him up. I figured he never played anywhere else but he went to bridgeport and was a real star for them in division 2. I guess just a little small for someone with big man skills. Anyway great thread, go HUSKIES!
Anthony Harris was from Danbury High.

Reaction Score
Most of you are too young for him, but a guy who went to my high school - Weaver in Hartford - John Egan wasn't too shabby. Led them to an undefeated season his last year including winning the great old New England tournament, was an AA at Providence and then played several NBA seasons as well as coaching in the NBA.

The best player not to play in the NBA was probably Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public. Great high school player.

But I'd give Murphy the vote. Pound for pound the best. Williamson would be a close second.
The Space Man! Probaby the best to never play at Hartford Public was Iverson, the whole Iverson family seems to be in Hartford except for Allen and his mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom