BC is Irrelevant | The Boneyard

BC is Irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They did provide the initial spark

Tis true that they lack something special now. They did chase the dollar signs; maybe, they had the prophetic insight of what was to come. But, the theme of that article is absolutely true: they've lost something special that will never return.

As for hoop in the DC to Boston corridor? Wide open. Up for grabs. Nobody ... Not the NBE, ACC, UConn or Rutgers have much traction. Quicksandy region.

Reaction Score
CR has severely impacted regional interest in college athletics and that's especially true of the northeast. Agree with Pudge. The best basketball in the country was played in the old Big East and now that's gone. UCONN in the AAC, GT in the NBE, Cuse in the ACC........makes no sense. BC may not see the NCAA tourney for another 10 years and Rutgers gives the BiG nothing.

GDF had no vision and BC really does not have the commitment to compete. They do have the ACC checks that clear the bank, so there's that......

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There's not a whole lot of vision in the whole CR thing. All they look at is dollars or potential dollars. College sport should be about tradition and the widespread cutting across regional lines will invariably detract from that tradition. Rivalries cannot be manufactured. Northeast. Atlantic Coast. Southeast. Midwest. Central. Western. These are all areas...conferences...that could have been protected and fostered where needed to maintain the rivalries and GROW revenues rather than just grab for whatever money they can.

I know I'm employing some hindsight here but UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Pitt, WVU, BC, VT, Rutgers, Penn State & Louisville would have been a sweet gig and it would have worked with some help instead of negative influences from the outside, namely the ACC and ESPN. If the conferences had stood together and said "We want to protect our rivalries and our traditions", instead of mindlessly selling out I think they still would have gotten their money in the end.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
There's not a whole lot of vision in the whole CR thing. All they look at is dollars or potential dollars. College sport should be about tradition and the widespread cutting across regional lines will invariably detract from that tradition. Rivalries cannot be manufactured. Northeast. Atlantic Coast. Southeast. Midwest. Central. Western. These are all areas...conferences...that could have been protected and fostered where needed to maintain the rivalries and GROW revenues rather than just grab for whatever money they can.

I know I'm employing some hindsight here but UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Pitt, WVU, BC, VT, Rutgers, Penn State & Louisville would have been a sweet gig and it would have worked with some help instead of negative influences from the outside, namely the ACC and ESPN. If the conferences had stood together and said "We want to protect our rivalries and our traditions", instead of mindlessly selling out I think they still would have gotten their money in the end.

Your hypothesis certainly could have proven true if given time, but I think the issue is that no one is waiting around for a potential windfall tomorrow if another entity is waving fistfuls of money at you today.

People who win the lottery typically don't wait years to cash in. (They also can't but that's another story.)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Your hypothesis certainly could have proven true if given time, but I think the issue is that no one is waiting around for a potential windfall tomorrow if another entity is waving fistfuls of money at you today.

People who win the lottery typically don't wait years to cash in. (They also can't but that's another story.)

I reserve the right to wistfully dream of what could have been...

;)

Reaction Score
CR has severely impacted regional interest in college athletics and that's especially true of the northeast. Agree with Pudge. The best basketball in the country was played in the old Big East and now that's gone. UCONN in the AAC, GT in the NBE, Cuse in the ACC...makes no sense. BC may not see the NCAA tourney for another 10 years and Rutgers gives the BiG nothing.

GDF had no vision and BC really does not have the commitment to compete. They do have the ACC checks that clear the bank, so there's that.
Three epically poor hires hurt BC more than anything. Similar to how 1 epically poor hire really hurt Uconn when it mattered most. GDF had no vision firing/hiring coaches but he (or the BC Board of Trustees) had enough vision to see what the scrap pile might look like. On March 19, 2015, who has the more positive future outlook for their athletic programs - Uconn or BC?

Reaction Score
Great! Must be time for another multi-page thread on how irrelevant BC is. We have't had one in at least a week. It will be quickly followed by a multi-page thread on how they had the power to blackball UConn.

Reaction Score
Folks living outside the 617 area most likely think of this when they hear BC:
MGG051407.gif

Reaction Score

Agree.

Several years ago before the ACC second raid I suggested that UCONN, Cuse, Rutgers and possibly Pitt should have aligned as a unit to either breakaway from the BE or go as a group to another conference. I was summarily laughed off this board. I recognized that such an alignment would have been difficult to put in place, but there is no doubt that all institutions would have benefited by retaining regional affiliation.

If that group ended up in the BiG it would have absolutely duck*ed BC, but that was only a side benefit.

pj

Reaction Score
Three epically poor hires hurt BC more than anything. Similar to how 1 epically poor hire really hurt Uconn when it mattered most. GDF had no vision firing/hiring coaches but he (or the BC Board of Trustees) had enough vision to see what the scrap pile might look like. On March 19, 2015, who has the more positive future outlook for their athletic programs - Uconn or BC?

UConn. In the end, UConn has the allegiance of a whole state of 3.6 million people while BC has the allegiance of about 3,600 people.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have BC's athletic future than UConn's. while Tomase craps all over BC, can you imagine what their athletics would look like if they were still in the Big East?

Reaction Score
It's been over 10 years since its fateful decision to bail on the Big East. So by positive future outlook, are you talking say 10-15 years into the future? I'll take UCONN's sustained success over bc's disaster of a gambit any day of the week and, of course, twice on Sunday.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Isn't at an oxymoron to post "BC is irrelevant" on a non-BC message board?

I suppose so. Didn't really think of that one. Was so excited when I saw the article.

Reaction Score
Perhaps. However, the opinion that it is irrelevant is certainly relevant to the discussion of CR.

More importantly it is an opinion from a 24/7 sports station in their back yard. Certainly enhances the "cred" of the opinion when it doesn't emanate from the rank partisans that darken this board (me included!). Swofford, Delany and any of their member institutions will take notice when they consider the source. It can't be helpful when your home town media details your irrelevance. It further marginalizes BC in the entire P-5 structure. Will it help us? It can't hurt. Delany won't be interested in them and Swofford won't listen to them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They did provide the initial spark

Tis true that they lack something special now. They did chase the dollar signs; maybe, they had the prophetic insight of what was to come. But, the theme of that article is absolutely true: they've lost something special that will never return.

As for hoop in the DC to Boston corridor? Wide open. Up for grabs. Nobody ... Not the NBE, ACC, UConn or Rutgers have much traction. Quicksandy region.

I believe that this in some part is due to those in other parts of the country (who had the ability to make CR decisions) did not really understand this part of the country and assumed that something such as taking state schools from New Jersey and Maryland would be enough (assuming each school would become competitive) to control the fan base within that section of the eastern seaboard or that adding private schools somewhat north of a conference's footprint (where that conference already controlled the fan bases) would complete the stretch between that conference's area of control and the locations of the northern outliers.

Reaction Score
It seems that the "BC Interuption" blog has been pretty quiet about the WEEI "BC is irrelevant" story. Those bastards never missed an opportunity to revel in our misery. Why so quiet regarding this stinging assessment of BC sports? Has anyone mounted a defense for BC? Is there a defense?

We may be currently effed in CR, but if someone said similar things about our Huskies we would shoulder up. We may bust each other's stones, but we would unite in defense. BC fans? For all their haughty BS, not so much. Maybe that proves the point made.

Reaction Score
Tomase, like everyone else is entitled to their opinion. He's a long time BC hater.. and jealous. ( went to nearby Tufts, where major sports don't exist ) Tomase, a no nothing, has a long track record of just being loose with the facts, and on other occasions, just lying by making stuff up to fill a deadline. For just a most recent example, Tomase ...an irrelevent , obese, non athlete, geek in the area... made stuff up, got caught, and was forced to pretty much admit thru his writings here below that he has an inferiority complex when he'
s surrounded by people that are more successful in life than he is. So he tries to take them down by hyperbole, exaggerations, or if necessary just making stuff up.

http://legacy.barstoolsports.com/article/john_tomase_apology_letter/2313/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great! Must be time for another multi-page thread on how irrelevant BC is. We have't had one in at least a week. It will be quickly followed by a multi-page thread on how they had the power to blackball UConn.
Haha.. good point.

Reaction Score
Tomase, like everyone else is entitled to their opinion. He's a long time BC hater.. and jealous. ( went to nearby Tufts, where major sports don't exist ) Tomase, a no nothing, has a long track record of just being loose with the facts, and on other occasions, just lying by making stuff up to fill a deadline. For just a most recent example, Tomase ...an irrelevent , obese, non athlete, geek in the area... made stuff up, got caught, and was forced to pretty much admit thru his writings here below that he has an inferiority complex when he'
s surrounded by people that are more successful in life than he is. So he tries to take them down by hyperbole, exaggerations, or if necessary just making stuff up.

http://legacy.barstoolsports.com/article/john_tomase_apology_letter/2313/

OK - the messenger is dead. How about the points he made?

Reaction Score
All you need to do is go to boston.com or bostonglobe.com and see how long it takes you to find even a blurb about that program. The first piece I found was about UMass. Note to Bamford: get in line (B1G).
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ic-director/8MaOKa0w3k7M9YcoObWlTK/story.html

Bamford, a native of New Hampshire, will leave Georgia Tech after more than four years. He was promoted from associate athletic director to senior associate athletic director in the summer of 2013.

“As a New England native, I have witnessed the university’s ascent to its position as one the leading public research institutions in the nation,” Bamford said in a statement. “In addition, UMass offers a world-class athletics experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom