BC is Irrelevant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC is Irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK - the messenger is dead. How about the points he made?
Well, like I said, its all opinion. His opinion is that BC stopped playing good basketball in 2006 ( according to his written words in the article ). But BC won 22 games in 2008-2009, beat #1 ranked at the time UNC at home, lost to Duke 66-65 in the ACC Tournament, etc so by most objective observers that was a pretty good basketball. I could point out several other stated things he wrote that seem more hate and hyperbole, than objective analysis. But he's entitled to his opinion, so its no big deal, imo.

Reaction Score
Well, like I said, its all opinion. His opinion is that BC stopped playing good basketball in 2006 ( according to his written words in the article ). But BC won 22 games in 2008-2009, beat #1 ranked at the time UNC at home, lost to Duke 66-65 in the ACC Tournament, etc so by most objective observers that was a pretty good basketball. I could point out several other stated things he wrote that seem more hate and hyperbole, than objective analysis. But he's entitled to his opinion, so its no big deal, imo.
Maybe those games would be more relevant if they weren't over 700 miles away from campus. I am not trying to beat down BC. I just can't stand BC, so I am going with the "BC is Irrelevant" opinion.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@Yawkey Way ... Is this you every time your spidey senses tingle after a BC mention here?
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Yes ,.. I was busy the last week and did not pick up on this "
BC is irrelevant thread " here on the Uconn board until yesterday. Like most on here, I'm not on here every day for hours on end.

Reaction Score
I have not picked a fight with a Umass sports fan. I only pointed out a silly comment that even most Umass fans would get a raised eyebrow on.. ie the statement by the Umass official that " Umass offers a world class athletics experience" This is a statement of silliness that the majority of UConn, BC and even Umass fans can chuckle with regarding its level of accuracy. The inadequate football facilities alone at Umass make their football team and fans drive 2 hours away to the home games in Foxboro. Even UConn doesn't make their football players travel by bus to home games this far away from their campus. Umass hasn't received the required funding from the state to enable it to say that its a " world class " operation. That's just the reality, and this reality really has nothing at all to do with BC, UConn etc, or any other school ( or its fan bases ), for that matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have not picked a fight with a Umass sports fan. I only pointed out a silly comment that even most Umass fans would get a raised eyebrow on.. ie the statement by the Umass official that " Umass offers a world class athletics experience" This is a statement of silliness that the majority of UConn, BC and even Umass fans can chuckle with regarding its level of accuracy. The inadequate football facilities alone at Umass make their football team and fans drive 2 hours away to the home games in Foxboro. Even UConn doesn't make their football players travel by bus to home games this far away from their campus. Umass hasn't received the required funding from the state to enable it to say that its a " world class " operation. That's just the reality, and this reality really has nothing at all to do with BC, UConn etc, or any other school, for that matter.

You come across as a pretentious ........maybe you aren't, but that's sure as hell how you come across.

Reaction Score
How am I " pretentious " ? And why not simply just stick to the comments made and tell us where you believe the comment and observations were accurate, inaccurate, or a mix ? Personal attacks on posters seems lame and a waste of time to me, and so I try at all costs not to engage in that level of back and forth with such posters on here.

Reaction Score
You don't think it pretentious to demean a UMASS poster who believes they offer a world class athletic experience. I'm sure many people do feel that way and from many perspectives UMASS can be seen as offering an extraordinary athletic experience.

"Even UCONN doesn't maker their football players....." You don't think visiting a UCONN board and posting that pretentious?

Your comments were not comments of fact they were your observations from your perspective stated pretentiously as fact. As a visitor to this board I might add.

Finally, I didn't personally attack you. I pointed out that given your posts you come across as a pretentious . Whether you are actually a pretentious is another matter.

Reaction Score
I believe UMass provides their athletes a "world class experience" The article did not say "national championship experience". UMass has a FBS football program. Some of these kids have played at Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame this year. What percentage of college kids have those memories. Our basketball team, as evidenced by their RPI and SOS since Kellogg has been there have played with the "anybody anywhere" mentality. They've been to some great tournaments (Bahamas, Puerto Rico). They've recently built a football performance center and a champion's center for basketball.

I think if you've read any of my posts since being on this board, I am not comparing UMass to UConn or BC. I honestly fear that UMass has come to the dance a little too late. The late nineties was their time to make a move. Final Four and 1AA National Championship within 3 years of each other was the time. They couldn't pull the trigger on any moves and they may pay dearly for that.

Beside that, I went to UMass for 4 years and worked there for 35 years. It was 39 "world class" years that I wouldn't trade for anything!

Okay, I'm done. Sorry if my comment before hijacked your thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How am I " pretentious " ? And why not simply just stick to the comments made and tell us where you believe the comment and observations were accurate, inaccurate, or a mix ? Personal attacks on posters seems lame and a waste of time to me, and so I try at all costs not to engage in that level of back and forth with such posters on here.

Really? You murdered the WEEI messenger, made some snide comments about this thread, but ultimately failed to address the points made in the WEEI article in any meaningful way. Very predictable approach, I might add...

But, currently there appears to be no substantive counter to the points Tomase made. In fact, I think a lot of folks, with no dog in the fight, agree with what he says.

Reaction Score
I believe UMass provides their athletes a "world class experience" The article did not say "national championship experience". UMass has a FBS football program. Some of these kids have played at Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame this year. What percentage of college kids have those memories. Our basketball team, as evidenced by their RPI and SOS since Kellogg has been there have played with the "anybody anywhere" mentality. They've been to some great tournaments (Bahamas, Puerto Rico). They've recently built a football performance center and a champion's center for basketball.

I think if you've read any of my posts since being on this board, I am not comparing UMass to UConn or BC. I honestly fear that UMass has come to the dance a little too late. The late nineties was their time to make a move. Final Four and 1AA National Championship within 3 years of each other was the time. They couldn't pull the trigger on any moves and they may pay dearly for that.

Beside that, I went to UMass for 4 years and worked there for 35 years. It was 39 "world class" years that I wouldn't trade for anything!

Okay, I'm done. Sorry if my comment before hijacked your thread.
Ich bin ein Amherster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really? You murdered the WEEI messenger, made some snide comments about this thread, but ultimately failed to address the points made in the WEEI article in any meaningful way. Very predictable approach, I might add...

But, currently there appears to be no substantive counter to the points Tomase made. In fact, I think a lot of folks, with no dog in the fight, agree with what he says.

Tomase made some good points. Unlike some here, I don't hate BC. Wife went to BC and I know other BC grads and like them. It really comes down to this: college sports are generally irrelevant in metro Boston, unless they are New England local. Harvard vs Yale is relevant. The Beanpot is relevant. BC vs BU hockey is relevant. BC vs UConn basketball was relevant. Note: Notre Dame counts as "local" as well. Northeastern vs Harvard hoops will get more coverage than BC vs Georgia Tech all day long.

Given that, the decision BC made to leave the Big East looks short sighted (although financially wise). But what looks even more short sighted, and downright stupid, is BC's effort to keep UConn out of the ACC. Nothing would have done more to make BC relevant than adding a New England rival in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Adding Umass football to BC's football schedule does more for college football interest in Massachusetts , Greater Boston region, than does adding UConn football to their schedule. That said, such a game with UCONN would no doubt generate more interest in the state of Connecticut . BC did need a rival game with a school . Syracuse looks like they will fill that need for both schools. That said, I see no reason why BC and UCONN can 't play . I 'd enjoy such a scheduled game at least as much , if not more , than one with UMASS .

Reaction Score
Really? You murdered the WEEI messenger,

there appears to be no substantive counter to the points Tomase made.

I mentioned at least one startling example where in my view Tomase's observation comment was pretty much demonstrably provable to be inaccurate. And I then gave actual won- loss records statistics as counter point evidence to bolster my comments on that point. My comment is still on the thread above. So I'm not sure its fully accurate to state that I never offered any substantive counter to ANY of the points he made. I believe I did, but see no point in retyping that, as its still can be found above for those still inclined to read it if they have not already done so.. Also, as for " murdering the WEEI Messenger ", I did say some choice words regarding his coming from a school ( Tufts ) that has never had major college sports, and that he had to apologize to readers just a few weeks ago for making up another unrelated story, putting it to print, that he knew at the time to be false. I did finish however by stating that ( quote ) " he is entitled to his opinion ", despite the fact that he doesn't seem to know very much about BC and from reports I've heard, he's never been to a BC sports event, even after he graduated from nearby Tufts in Medford. He also is "short and fat", and" never played any sports in high school even". That's not my caricature of him. That's his own self loathing description of himself that he wrote in his letter of apology to his readers for falsifying a story.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Didn't even need to change the title/start new thread...

blauds 5:02pm via Mobile Web (M2)
BC has become irrelevant in football and basketball, which is a bad as it gets for a school
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12249
I feel like Blaudschun is a closet UConn fan. Unless I only read the "bad" stuff, he's rarely rah rah about BC and has always been very complimentary about UConn.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I feel like Blaudschun is a closet UConn fan. Unless I only read the "bad" stuff, he's rarely rah rah about BC and has always been very complimentary about UConn.

Clearly a very smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99