Baylor Questions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Curious if you think Gabby will be the only sub that gets into the game and plays significant minutes in the Final Four. Other than Williams, Geno doesn't seem to have shown much confidence in his bench. Collier has gotten some minutes but seems to have been ineffective against the higher quality opponents.
Who cares? Geno has shown that his top five can beat everyone else's top five. I'm sure Gabby and Collier will get minutes throughout the tournament, but if he goes down to a six man rotation for the FF I still like our chances. The whole "deep bench" thing is so overrated. Especially if your starters can go all out for 40 minutes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who cares? Geno has shown that his top five can beat everyone else's top five. I'm sure Gabby and Collier will get minutes throughout the tournament, but if he goes down to a six man rotation for the FF I still like our chances. The whole "deep bench" thing is so overrated. Especially if your starters can go all out for 40 minutes.

Very true. If you starters can go all 40 minutes and never get tired or get in foul trouble you are golden.

Reaction Score
Glad Baylor was brought up.My son and I have been debating this issue.I told him Baylor would be much easier to beat than ND.I don't consider Baylor to be all that's projected by some.I see the match up as follows:
Johnson vs Kia
Jones vs Moriah
Prince vs KLS
Davis vs Stewart
Big vs Tuck
Questions are will Baylor play Man or Zone.I posted a possible Man line-up.Stewart would destroy Davis or whomever.Their Bigs have no chance against Tuck and Stewart,unless you think they're better than Wilson/Coates.This game could happen if Baylor doesn't get upset.I see UConn beating Baylor be 15 or more.Please let this game happen.Who goes to the bench if she play two Bigs?Would love to see there Bigs vs Tuck and Stewart.

Reaction Score
Baylor has a nice team with some good players. I think they can make some waves next year especially. But right now we are in this year. I'm not sold we get to play Baylor this year. IF Baylor makes it to Indy, I'm not too worried about that game. But we'll see what happens.

Baylor are studs with a competent, experienced coach. They have an AA small forward, a deep and huge frontcourt and a 1st class class (do-it-all) backcourt who can pass, shoot and score.

I feel confident in UConn because MoJeff/Stewart talent and championship experience.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Its not that people are specifically dissing Baylor (well maybe a few in this thread :rolleyes:) but that most people have no clue - some great players, a great record, but ...?

I look forward to watching Baylor play throughout the tournament. Mulkey has done a great job, particularly with the young post players.

The X factor really is Jones. She's really not that different a player than she was at Duke. She's capable of dynamic scoring and a good playmaker who will also turn the ball over (already at 100 for the season). Although fans talk about missing Johnson in the Oklahoma State loss, another big factor was Jones shooting 2-18 and 1-10 on 3s. To her credit, I don't think Jones has had a stinker like that since.

Baylor as a team turns the ball over a lot, with only 30 fewer turnovers than its opponents. Opponents have not taken advantage of that weakness. The 2 freshman post players have had terrific seasons. When they get the ball there isn't much mystery to what they're going to do: shoot it, draw fouls or turn it over. There aren't a lot of assists coming out of the post. They both shoot it at a good percentage but the defensive intensity deep in to the tournament (i.e., Final Four) will likely expose their inexperience and lack of versatility.

Baylor is not the fastest team around and can be beaten in transition, particularly with Prince and Brown on the court together. Baylor is a good 3-point shooting team but doesn't shoot a lot of them. Baylor is not a great FT shooting team.

Baylor, as always, plays tough half-court defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is true. UCONN is in the AAC and Baylor is in the Big 12.
The AAC first 2 years of operation has 3 of the 4 NC!How many does the Big 12 have the last 2 years?Is it the 4th one?Oh wait IT was Duke who won that title.

Reaction Score
In the regular season UCONN beat the OSU, DePaul, FSU, MD, ND, SoCar, & USF by double digits so Baylor will not be much of a challenge as the Bears have not faced a defense as tough as UCONN's!
Baylor's defense will not hold UCONN under 80 points so how can Baylor score enough to win?
In the few early season games that the 3 point shot was a problem for UCONN, it will not be a problem vs Baylor as that is not a major part of their attack!
Who will stop or slow down Stewie, MoJeff & Tuck, not to mention KLS hitting her 3's now.
They'll have a tough enough path through their bracket. Don't think ahead to UCONN, L'ville or someone else may knock them out of the Tourney!

Reaction Score
Baylor easily whipped a lousy, undersized Idaho team (with one starter above 6 ft.) by 30 points. And Mulkey felt the need to play Niya Johnson for 37 minutes! Guess her team couldn't have survived had Johnson not been on the floor almost the entire game. Ridiculous. Clearly Mulkey kept her in the game so she could get her 16 assists, to pad her season total (maybe for the Lieberman Award judges?) This puts Johnson's huge assist totals for the year in a very different perspective, suggesting they are far less impressive than at first glance.

I cannot respect a coach like Mulkey who pulls that kind of crap on a thoroughly outclassed opponent, for whatever reason.

Stewie has had several opportunities to get triple-doubles (and once a quad-double) but Geno took her out of the game long before that could ever happen. Because individual stats and padding his players' numbers are absolutely unimportant to him and his team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor easily whipped a lousy, undersized Idaho team (with one starter above 6 ft.) by 30 points. And Mulkey felt the need to play Niya Johnson for 37 minutes! Guess her team couldn't have survived had Johnson not been on the floor almost the entire game. Ridiculous. Clearly Mulkey kept her in the game so she could get her 16 assists, to pad her season total (maybe for the Lieberman Award judges?) This puts Johnson's huge assist totals for the year in a very different perspective, suggesting they are far less impressive than at first glance.

I cannot respect a coach like Mulkey who pulls that kind of crap on a thoroughly outclassed opponent, for whatever reason.

Stewie has had several opportunities to get triple-doubles (and once a quad-double) but Geno took her out of the game long before that could ever happen. Because individual stats and padding his players' numbers are absolutely unimportant to him and his team.

I've despised the woman for about forty years now. We go way back to her days playing high school ball in rural Louisiana. Once a screeching, all for one, one for herself prima donna, always a, well, don't get me started.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I've despised the woman for about forty years now. We go way back to her days playing high school ball in rural Louisiana. Once a screeching, all for one, one for herself prima donna, always a, well, don't get me started.
and she backed it up... as she has done as a coach

Reaction Score
Love to hear about that - what would it take to get you started?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has trained the team from day one and uses his "secret formula" to prepare them for the last three games of the tourney. Part of that system is --every starter could go 40 minutes. Yes, Geno has stated that he would play his starters for 40 each and Stewie would take every shot if that was necessary to win. Let's start with that premise.
Nevertheless, Gabby will be the designated relief player and "starter in disguise." Gabby will come in for whomever is not producing at Geno's expectations. My guess is Lou first. Then probably Nurse (who would be playing like a whirlwind as usual.) Lou pops over to the two guard when Nurse is out. Finally, maybe Tuck gets a quick rest if necessary. Gabby is the super sub who can come in for any of those three. If those 3 starters really needed some rest then Gabby could give them 10 minutes each. That would give UConn 4 players with 30 minutes each. We don't have to think about Stewie or Mo because they are going the full 40 minutes in the last three games.
Of course, if any other situation pops up then Collier could cover for a short time and Chong could pop in too. Don't see anyone else doing Crunch Time. Would not surprise me in the least if Geno uses the 6 man rotation for last three games.
A side note - Baylor's bigs are slow. Yes, they rotate when they get tired. In reality, they get tired after 5 minutes in the beginning, after three minutes in the middle and after a minute at the end. As a track coach I know how the "point of diminishing returns" works when one gets tired. With the bigs, it can get ugly very fast!! One more point, when their energy is depleted---the energy usually does not come back for the bigs. Just sayin!
Geno probably thinks---I have the best team (5 players on the floor) why not play them all game. For some reason, this still perplexes most coaches.
Stop making so much sense. UConn may actually only be leading by 10 at the half. Then when KLS gets going in the second Baylor fans will be looking for the referee to stop the contest. And yes, with their tongues hanging out.

Reaction Score
Baylor are studs with a competent, experienced coach. They have an AA small forward, a deep and huge frontcourt and a 1st class class (do-it-all) backcourt who can pass, shoot and score.

I feel confident in UConn because MoJeff/Stewart talent and championship experience.

They have a huge YOUNG front court that will be shredded by Stewie, Morgan and KLS. Mulkey has hid them behing a creampuff scedule. Can't wait for that matchup !

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Get back to us when Kim actually schedules (and beats) some real competition! so far, all I hear is big talk. If you (or anyone) thinks uconn is finished because Stewie is gone next year is in for a very big surprise!

Stewie...and Jefferson...and Tuck.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stop making so much sense. UConn may actually only be leading by 10 at the half. Then when KLS gets going in the second Baylor fans will be looking for the referee to stop the contest. And yes, with their tongues hanging out.

We will also have our thumbs in our ears chanting "nanny nanny boo boo."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle