Baylor Questions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am glad that Kim will no longer feel the need to duck UConn in the nonconference. It's about time.

Nope, she will be fully confident that the game will end with a W in W/L column for Baylor. I doubt that she will feel the need to duck UCONN for a long time to come.

Reaction Score
Nope, she will be fully confident that the game will end with a W in W/L column for Baylor. I doubt that she will feel the need to duck UCONN for a long time to come.

Get back to us when Kim actually schedules (and beats) some real competition! so far, all I hear is big talk. If you (or anyone) thinks uconn is finished because Stewie is gone next year is in for a very big surprise!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that a combo of Jefferson, Nurse and Gabby can stop Jones and Johnson. Texas doesn't have anyone like those three, and their inside game is weak. Boyette should be so much better than she is. (Side note...I sat next to her mother on a plane once and she told me how her daughter was going to make the Olympic team for Rio. I just nodded and smiled.)
wow I keep forgetting about Gabby and her lockdown defense... she has made the sophomore leap :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Curious if you think Gabby will be the only sub that gets into the game and plays significant minutes in the Final Four. Other than Williams, Geno doesn't seem to have shown much confidence in his bench. Collier has gotten some minutes but seems to have been ineffective against the higher quality opponents.
I love how you're speaking up and defending Baylor (on a UConn board)... but with March Madness in full swing you're gonna gain some more enemies

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm glad to learn of your doubt.

On a serious note, Baylor is too good of a program to avoid all top-10 competition in the nonconference. I know Kim has her reasons, but it's really sad that this year we won't get to see Baylor go up against Notre Dame, South Carolina, or Maryland. Any of those would have been very compelling matchups.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

On a serious note, Baylor is too good of a program to avoid all top-10 competition in the nonconference. I know Kim has her reasons, but it's really sad that this year we won't get to see Baylor go up against Notre Dame, South Carolina, or Maryland. Any of those would have been very compelling matchups.
In all fairness Stanford did the same. It would be nice for Baylor to actually play difficult OOC teams on the road or on neutral ground. I personally have little faith in the Big 12. I think the Big 10 will play better this year, and was hoping for some good 12/10 match ups to prove it.

Reaction Score

Kim has her reasons alright and they are obvious. It's difficult to respect a coach/program that ducks the competition until they perceive a period of relative weakness coming.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Baylor has a nice team with some good players. I think they can make some waves next year especially. But right now we are in this year. I'm not sold we get to play Baylor this year. IF Baylor makes it to Indy, I'm not too worried about that game. But we'll see what happens.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor alternates Mompremier and Brown to keep a fresh "big" on the floor at all times. They play all-out until they are tired and then when the next one comes into the game she goes all-out until she is tired. To think that any post player is going to have her tongue hanging out in the third quarter demonstrates a lock of knowledge on how Mulkey uses her personnel. Baylor has more options at the 4 and 5 positions than any other team in the nation with Higgins and Cave also available to provide quality minutes.

I really like that so many people find Baylor to be a mystery. It will make the surprise even that much more enjoyable when it occurs. Hopefully Tuck can play all 40 minutes to shut them both down.
But...But... I could just as easily remix your post to state: Baylor alternates Mompremier and Brown because neither is conditioned enough to go the whole game. Baylor alternates Mompremier and Brown because neither is good enough to be a fulltime starter. Baylor has more options at the 4 and 5 positions than any other team in the nation because no singular Baylor player has grabbed the starting position.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Kim has her reasons alright and they are obvious. It's difficult to respect a coach/program that ducks the competition until they perceive a period of relative weakness coming.

I sort of agree and sort of don't.

True, these days, we try to schedule all the major programs in non-conference play (wasn't always that way, we played our share of cupcakes in the old days).

But most of the other schools that don't follow this approach, have more difficult conference schedules...perhaps Baylor excepted.

We make the arguement a lot around here that it doesn't matter who you play, it's how you play then game.

If Kim has developed a strategy for a final-4 team based on a relatively easy schedule, more power to her.

I don't think we should be seen as saying different things out of both sides of our mouth.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Curious if you think Gabby will be the only sub that gets into the game and plays significant minutes in the Final Four. Other than Williams, Geno doesn't seem to have shown much confidence in his bench. Collier has gotten some minutes but seems to have been ineffective against the higher quality opponents.
And how many UCONN bench player were used in the 2015 FF? 2014 FF?

Reaction Score
Baylor's early play demonstrated why Mulkey had a less than challenging OOC schedule. She had two freshmen "bigs" that she was trying to bring along along patiently and also had one of her best guards coming back for her first season after a couple of knee surgeries. There was a point when I commented here on the BY that Baylor was not playing like a team that deserved to be in the discussion for a #1 seed. However, as Jones became more and more confident with her knee and learned to mesh with Johnson and Davis, this team became MUCH better. Once Prince returned the team was once again at full strength and now that she has returned to form and assumed the starting position, this team is capable of beating anyone.

Prince's value cannot be emphasized enough as she adds a three point threat as well as a mid-range game and the ability to get to the rim, often posting up smaller players. Even more valuable may be her length on the perimeter. She is 6-2 and has long arms that allow her to play disruptive defense.

The two young "bigs," Mompremier and Brown, have improved by leaps and bounds. Mompremier provides an element of length and athleticism and can finish equally well with either hand around the rim. Brown is as big and strong as any post player in the nation and is a very good finisher and runs the court surprisingly well for her size. If only one of them had chose Baylor that player would be challenging for national FOY.

IMO, this is the best team that Baylor has ever put on the court, from top to bottom.
Years (and years and years) ago, the Phillies brought in a (somewhat) young broadcaster named Harry Kalas and teamed him with Richie Ashburn. The Phillies were playing the Astros, Kalas' former employer. A young Astros outfielder came in to pinch hit and the conversation went something like this.

Ashburn: What can you tell us about this kid, Harry?
Kalas: Well, Richie, he hits ropes to any field, runs like a deer, and has an arm that runners won't challenge.
Ashburn: Tell me one thing then.
Kalas: What's that Richie?
Ashburn: How come this kid isn't starting? You just described Tris Speaker in his prime.

Your post kind of reminds me of Harry's end of that conversation. ;)

Reaction Score
On a serious note... I Saw Mulkey interviewed on ESPN the other day. Considering how image/fashion conscious and great looking she always is, I was shocked by her appearance. Her face was ashen and quite gaunt, and she did not look at all well. Is she okay?

Reaction Score
You apparently have not read this thread. Put pressure on Johnson and it is easy to beat Baylor. Ask Texas, they tried it three times and beat Baylor by an average of -18 points.

I would be thrilled to see Jefferson chasing Johnson around for 40 minutes because that would mean that she would not be guarding Alexis Jones, Baylor's most capable scoring guard, who can also hit you with double digit assist totals.
You seem to forget Kia Nurse, who often gets overlooked, but is a great defender. You are much to knowledgeable to make that kind of mistake. Gabby is also a very good defender that has to be added to the conversation.

Reaction Score
Geno has trained the team from day one and uses his "secret formula" to prepare them for the last three games of the tourney. Part of that system is --every starter could go 40 minutes. Yes, Geno has stated that he would play his starters for 40 each and Stewie would take every shot if that was necessary to win. Let's start with that premise.
Nevertheless, Gabby will be the designated relief player and "starter in disguise." Gabby will come in for whomever is not producing at Geno's expectations. My guess is Lou first. Then probably Nurse (who would be playing like a whirlwind as usual.) Lou pops over to the two guard when Nurse is out. Finally, maybe Tuck gets a quick rest if necessary. Gabby is the super sub who can come in for any of those three. If those 3 starters really needed some rest then Gabby could give them 10 minutes each. That would give UConn 4 players with 30 minutes each. We don't have to think about Stewie or Mo because they are going the full 40 minutes in the last three games.
Of course, if any other situation pops up then Collier could cover for a short time and Chong could pop in too. Don't see anyone else doing Crunch Time. Would not surprise me in the least if Geno uses the 6 man rotation for last three games.
A side note - Baylor's bigs are slow. Yes, they rotate when they get tired. In reality, they get tired after 5 minutes in the beginning, after three minutes in the middle and after a minute at the end. As a track coach I know how the "point of diminishing returns" works when one gets tired. With the bigs, it can get ugly very fast!! One more point, when their energy is depleted---the energy usually does not come back for the bigs. Just sayin!
Geno probably thinks---I have the best team (5 players on the floor) why not play them all game. For some reason, this still perplexes most coaches.

Reaction Score
Well....looking at their schedule, I'd say yes. They've played 6 schools at the time that program was ranked 9 times.
#19 Univ. of South Florida, in Waco - Won 66-63
#20 Michigan St. in tournament play (Junkaroo Jam, Bahamas) Won 84-76
#23 Miami in tournament play (Florida Sunshine Classic) Won 88-81
# 18 Oklahoma - Won 78-68
#4 Texas @ Texas Won 80-67
#24 West Virginia @ WV - Won 71-61
#17 Oklahoma St. Won 66-41
#24 Oklahoma @ OK - Won 84-57
#6 Texas - Won 79-63

#24 Oklahoma - Won 84-57 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)
#7 Texas - Won 79-63 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)

Their only loss was @ Oklahoma St 52-45 on Dec 30th, their first conference game of the season.

The highest ranked team that they have beaten is Texas, 3 times. It appears they have Texas' number.
3 of these wins were on the road
2 of these wins were at a neutral site
2 of these wins were during conference tournament play at a neutral site

Its been referenced ad nauseam that their OOC schedule was extremely soft, which makes their season won-lost total some what dubious. :confused:
Baylor beat Texas 3 times by 45 points total.Pretty much the same team as last year that lost to Uconn by 51 pts.in the sweet 16.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - love the confidence and enjoy the banter!
I do think Baylor is a 'mystery' to most of the country because the OOC was somewhat limited to mid level ranked teams and the comparative value of wins against the rest of top end of the B12 is limited as well:
TX - some nice wins at TN, and home to Stanford and MsSt - all teams that have proven to be very inconsistent this year - and they have looked awful against Baylor, the only time anyone really noticed them nationally in the last three months.
WV - their best win OOC is Indiana - nice run in the B12, but nothing really interesting in OOC with two losses early to 'questionable' non-tournament teams.
OkSt - one decent OOC game that they lost to USF otherwise it is just B12 play.
OK - unusually weak OOC with Washington and BYU the only somewhat interesting teams - otherwise just B12
KSU - blow out to Uconn OOC, and not a good team, but with surprising wins against the two OK programs bringing more doubt about them into the equation. They are dancing, but as much by default as anything. Temple has better wins, but one more bad loss.

So the question of exactly who and how good are the Baylor Bears is based on real mystery - they crushed the conference schedule with the one 'blip', but the whole conference is a bit of a mystery too because with the exception of TX they did't beat anyone and none of them played a top ten program. And Stanford is the only OOC team played that is in the top 16 hosting seeds. (MsSt backing into the hosting)

Its not that people are specifically dissing Baylor (well maybe a few in this thread :rolleyes:) but that most people have no clue - some great players, a great record, but ...?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
On a serious note... I Saw Mulkey interviewed on ESPN the other day. Considering how image/fashion conscious and great looking she always is, I was shocked by her appearance. Her face was ashen and quite gaunt, and she did not look at all well. Is she okay?

I've noticed that recently, too.

Reaction Score
Question to the Baylor posters. How many NC's would Grinner have won with Geno? I guess you know the answer all ready. Mulkey is a good coach but still not in Geno's league. Maybe that's why she hasn't played UConn, they are in different leagues.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Question to the Baylor posters. How many NC's would Grinner have won with Geno? I guess you know the answer all ready. Mulkey is a good coach but still not in Geno's league. Maybe that's why she hasn't played UConn, they are in different leagues.

That is true. UCONN is in the AAC and Baylor is in the Big 12.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You seem to forget Kia Nurse, who often gets overlooked, but is a great defender. You are much to knowledgeable to make that kind of mistake. Gabby is also a very good defender that has to be added to the conversation.

While I consider Kia Nurse a good player, I don't consider her a "great" defender. She is certainly not fast enough to stick with Alexis Jones, who I suspect would repeatedly drive past Nurse. Nurse just isn't the athlete that Jones is.

Reaction Score
I have only gotten to watch 2 of their games this year so they are a mystery to me but I was wondering who are the best defensive and offensive teams they have played this year? I watched 2 games vs Texas and Texas is largely the same team as last year so I am not surprised they beat them 3 times. Would anyone in the know shed some light for me? Is Texas really the best team they have played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom