Baylor Questions | The Boneyard

Baylor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have only gotten to watch 2 of their games this year so they are a mystery to me but I was wondering who are the best defensive and offensive teams they have played this year? I watched 2 games vs Texas and Texas is largely the same team as last year so I am not surprised they beat them 3 times. Would anyone in the know shed some light for me? Is Texas really the best team they have played?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't know what good teams they played. They have good guard play and size but, their big girls are very young and it remains to be seen how they ( the big girls) handle the pressure of the tournament. Baylor sometimes struggles to score.

Reaction Score
They beat a team we've been ahead of over twenty points a few times this year by a whopping three points. I don't know if Laksa played, didn't see her in the video. She wasn't in the scoring line, either, so it makes me think she might have sat this one out. No way of knowing if the outcome would have been any different had she played but since they only lost by three and she's their sharpshooter.....

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly Baylor reminds me of So. Carolina. Low scoring ball handling guard that dumps it inside to her bigs. The difference is BY's big scorer is a 5'11" forward. They're not as good defensively as SC and neither of their posts are as good as A'ja Wilson. I think by the 3rd period their bigs will have their tongues hanging out and Davis will be frustrated by her lack of scoring and support. Husky's beat a team that hasn't faced them during the season by 20-25.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Honestly Baylor reminds me of So. Carolina. Low scoring ball handling guard that dumps it inside to her bigs. The difference is BY's big scorer is a 5'11" forward. They're not as good defensively as SC and neither of their posts are as good as A'ja Wilson. I think by the 3rd period their bigs will have their tongues hanging out and Davis will be frustrated by her lack of scoring and support. Husky's beat a team that hasn't faced them during the season by 20-25.

Baylor alternates Mompremier and Brown to keep a fresh "big" on the floor at all times. They play all-out until they are tired and then when the next one comes into the game she goes all-out until she is tired. To think that any post player is going to have her tongue hanging out in the third quarter demonstrates a lock of knowledge on how Mulkey uses her personnel. Baylor has more options at the 4 and 5 positions than any other team in the nation with Higgins and Cave also available to provide quality minutes.

I really like that so many people find Baylor to be a mystery. It will make the surprise even that much more enjoyable when it occurs. Hopefully Tuck can play all 40 minutes to shut them both down.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They beat a team we've been ahead of over twenty points a few times this year by a whopping three points. I don't know if Laksa played, didn't see her in the video. She wasn't in the scoring line, either, so it makes me think she might have sat this one out. No way of knowing if the outcome would have been any different had she played but since they only lost by three and she's their sharpshooter.....

Baylor also played without Alexis Prince, who is now back in the starting lineup.

Laksa played and was shut down, going 2-11 from the floor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

In addition to playing without Alexis Prince, a starter, Baylor also essentially played without another starter, Mompremier, who hurt her ankle early in the game and was limited to only 3 minutes of play. Baylor was hardly at full strength. Sometimes the final score (i.e. UCONN's 10 point win over Notre Dame and 10 point win over South Carolina) does not tell the full story.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have only gotten to watch 2 of their games this year so they are a mystery to me but I was wondering who are the best defensive and offensive teams they have played this year? I watched 2 games vs Texas and Texas is largely the same team as last year so I am not surprised they beat them 3 times. Would anyone in the know shed some light for me? Is Texas really the best team they have played?

Well....looking at their schedule, I'd say yes. They've played 6 schools at the time that program was ranked 9 times.
#19 Univ. of South Florida, in Waco - Won 66-63
#20 Michigan St. in tournament play (Junkaroo Jam, Bahamas) Won 84-76
#23 Miami in tournament play (Florida Sunshine Classic) Won 88-81
# 18 Oklahoma - Won 78-68
#4 Texas @ Texas Won 80-67
#24 West Virginia @ WV - Won 71-61
#17 Oklahoma St. Won 66-41
#24 Oklahoma @ OK - Won 84-57
#6 Texas - Won 79-63

#24 Oklahoma - Won 84-57 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)
#7 Texas - Won 79-63 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)

Their only loss was @ Oklahoma St 52-45 on Dec 30th, their first conference game of the season.

The highest ranked team that they have beaten is Texas, 3 times. It appears they have Texas' number.
3 of these wins were on the road
2 of these wins were at a neutral site
2 of these wins were during conference tournament play at a neutral site

Its been referenced ad nauseam that their OOC schedule was extremely soft, which makes their season won-lost total some what dubious. :confused:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well....looking at their schedule, I'd say yes. They've played 6 schools at the time that program was ranked 9 times.
#19 Univ. of South Florida, in Waco - Won 66-63
#20 Michigan St. in tournament play (Junkaroo Jam, Bahamas) Won 84-76
#23 Miami in tournament play (Florida Sunshine Classic) Won 88-81
# 18 Oklahoma - Won 78-68
#4 Texas @ Texas Won 80-67
#24 West Virginia @ WV - Won 71-61
#17 Oklahoma St. Won 66-41
#24 Oklahoma @ OK - Won 84-57
#6 Texas - Won 79-63

#24 Oklahoma - Won 84-57 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)
#7 Texas - Won 79-63 (Conference tournament in Oklahoma City)

Their only loss was @ Oklahoma St 52-45 on Dec 30th, their first conference game of the season.

The highest ranked team that they have beaten is Texas, 3 times. It appears they have Texas' number.
3 of these wins were on the road
2 of these wins were at a neutral site
2 of these wins were during conference tournament play at a neutral site

Its been referenced ad nauseam that their OOC schedule was extremely soft, which makes their season won-lost total some what dubious. :confused:

Baylor's early play demonstrated why Mulkey had a less than challenging OOC schedule. She had two freshmen "bigs" that she was trying to bring along along patiently and also had one of her best guards coming back for her first season after a couple of knee surgeries. There was a point when I commented here on the BY that Baylor was not playing like a team that deserved to be in the discussion for a #1 seed. However, as Jones became more and more confident with her knee and learned to mesh with Johnson and Davis, this team became MUCH better. Once Prince returned the team was once again at full strength and now that she has returned to form and assumed the starting position, this team is capable of beating anyone.

Prince's value cannot be emphasized enough as she adds a three point threat as well as a mid-range game and the ability to get to the rim, often posting up smaller players. Even more valuable may be her length on the perimeter. She is 6-2 and has long arms that allow her to play disruptive defense.

The two young "bigs," Mompremier and Brown, have improved by leaps and bounds. Mompremier provides an element of length and athleticism and can finish equally well with either hand around the rim. Brown is as big and strong as any post player in the nation and is a very good finisher and runs the court surprisingly well for her size. If only one of them had chose Baylor that player would be challenging for national FOY.

IMO, this is the best team that Baylor has ever put on the court, from top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Lots of great players, but Baylor's offense absolutely runs through Niya Johnson. Stop their point, the key to their offense, and you put a serious crimp in Baylor's game. Put a great, super-quick defender (like Moriah) in her face for 40 minutes, every second, make her every move contended, and Baylor will have a much tougher time of it scoring. Seen them play 5 times this year, and while their posts are really big, when they don't receive the ball in good scoring position deep in the paint (which Johnson does for them), their offense is not nearly as effective.

[Kia and Moriah did a terrific job defending by denying the S.Carolina guards the chances to make the kind of good entry passes into their bigs that lead to easy scores, a huge part of that win.]

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lots of great players, but Baylor's offense absolutely runs through Niya Johnson. Stop their point, the key to their offense, and you put a serious crimp in Baylor's game. Put a great, super-quick defender (like Moriah) in her face for 40 minutes, every second, make her every move contended, and Baylor will have a much tougher time of it scoring. Seen them play 5 times this year, and while their posts are really big, when they don't receive the ball in good scoring position deep in the paint (which Johnson does for them), their offense is not nearly as effective.

[Kia and Moriah did a terrific job defending by denying the S.Carolina guards the chances to make the kind of good entry passes into their bigs that lead to easy scores, a huge part of that win.]
It's all about that ball pressure.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Baylor's early play demonstrated why Mulkey had a less than challenging OOC schedule. She had two freshmen "bigs" that she was trying to bring along along patiently and also had one of her best guards coming back for her first season after a couple of knee surgeries. There was a point when I commented here on the BY that Baylor was not playing like a team that deserved to be in the discussion for a #1 seed. However, as Jones became more and more confident with her knee and learned to mesh with Johnson and Davis, this team became MUCH better. Once Prince returned the team was once again at full strength and now that she has returned to form and assumed the starting position, this team is capable of beating anyone.

Prince's value cannot be emphasized enough as she adds a three point threat as well as a mid-range game and the ability to get to the rim, often posting up smaller players. Even more valuable may be her length on the perimeter. She is 6-2 and has long arms that allow her to play disruptive defense.

The two young "bigs," Mompremier and Brown, have improved by leaps and bounds. Mompremier provides an element of length and athleticism and can finish equally well with either hand around the rim. Brown is as big and strong as any post player in the nation and is a very good finisher and runs the court surprisingly well for her size. If only one of them had chose Baylor that player would be challenging for national FOY.

IMO, this is the best team that Baylor has ever put on the court, from top to bottom.

Fear The Bears... they got people talking (and worried)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

You apparently have not read this thread. Put pressure on Johnson and it is easy to beat Baylor. Ask Texas, they tried it three times and beat Baylor by an average of -18 points.

I would be thrilled to see Jefferson chasing Johnson around for 40 minutes because that would mean that she would not be guarding Alexis Jones, Baylor's most capable scoring guard, who can also hit you with double digit assist totals.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that a combo of Jefferson, Nurse and Gabby can stop Jones and Johnson. Texas doesn't have anyone like those three, and their inside game is weak. Boyette should be so much better than she is. (Side note...I sat next to her mother on a plane once and she told me how her daughter was going to make the Olympic team for Rio. I just nodded and smiled.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that a combo of Jefferson, Nurse and Gabby can stop Jones and Johnson. Texas doesn't have anyone like those three, and their inside game is weak. Boyette should be so much better than she is. (Side note...I sat next to her mother on a plane once and she told me how her daughter was going to make the Olympic team for Rio. I just nodded and smiled.)

Curious if you think Gabby will be the only sub that gets into the game and plays significant minutes in the Final Four. Other than Williams, Geno doesn't seem to have shown much confidence in his bench. Collier has gotten some minutes but seems to have been ineffective against the higher quality opponents.

Reaction Score
Curious if you think Gabby will be the only sub that gets into the game and plays significant minutes in the Final Four. Other than Williams, Geno doesn't seem to have shown much confidence in his bench. Collier has gotten some minutes but seems to have been ineffective against the higher quality opponents.

Your concern is touching. If the game goes as most of us thinks it will, yes, everyone will get to play. Who knows? Maybe Ms Pulido will steal another one for a great breakaway layup.

Plebe

Reaction Score

There should be no fear. I want UConn to take on Baylor because then they can complete a sweep of all the teams considered true contenders this year having already beaten (ND, SC, and MD). If anyone has reason to be "afraid," it should be Baylor of UConn. If they think Texas has prepared them for the kind of defense they'll face in UConn, well ...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here is an overview of Baylor and the players that Kim likes to rotate.
  • Niya Johns: AA candidate point guard that holds the Big 12 record for assists in a career and also leads the nation in that category. The last I heard she was also second in the nation in assist to T/O ratio. Averages 5.3 rebounds a game. Does all of the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet and reminds me of Sue Bird in her ability to run the team at exactly the right tempo.
  • Alexis Jones: shooting guard who is the second on the team in score and assists. Can shoot the three, shoot the pull-up and get to the rim. She has a complete game.
  • Alexis Prince: 6-2 wing who is a hybrid of the 3/4 spot. She can shoot the three, mid-range, get to the rim and post up smaller defenders. Good rebounder from the wing position.
  • Kristy Wallace: can play PG or either the 2/3 guard positions. Good ball handler who can shoot the three, and the pull-up jumper. Fearless on defense and is an incredibly gritty player. Always in motion.
  • Nina Davis: not much I need to say about her. She does it all.
  • Beatrice Mompremier: very long and fast at 6-4. She can score with either hand and has nice moves to the basket from the FT line on in. Her moves around the rim are developed far beyond her years. Also disrupts on defense with her length. Has an Ogwumike like motor.
  • Kalani Brown: huge at 6-7. Not only is she tall, she takes up a lot of space. Very good at gathering the ball and finishing with never bringing the ball down. She will lean on an opposing post player and not let her establish position. But is also very hard to shoot over and runs the floor surprising well for her size.
  • Kadejiah Cave: very good rebounder and runs the floor extremely well. Has the ability to finish around the rim and has developed a nice face-up game from the FT line.
  • Kristina Higgins: Kim will use here when the game calls for a bigger post player who can lean on the opposing post. She is not much of a scorer but also moves surprisingly well for her size and is a solid defender and rebounder.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There should be no fear. I want UConn to take on Baylor because then they can complete a sweep of all the teams considered true contenders this year (having already beaten (ND, SC, and MD). If anyone has reason to be "afraid," it should be Baylor of UConn. If they think Texas has prepared them for the kind of defense they'll face in UConn, well ...

Plus, that would give you a preview of next year's national champion before you play them in a non-conference game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Plus, that would give you a preview of next year's national champion before you play them in a non-conference game.

You're in quite the trash-talking mood, huh. Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom