B1G | Page 90 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
823847d1376535051-giants-marketing-math-45369-you-not-entertained-9cyx.jpeg

Reaction Score
I see all of the hockey talk (might as well be Greek to this southerner).

Anybody talking baseball? Anybody care about baseball?...the season is alive.

If I remember right, UConn was one of the better northern baseball clubs....Went to a Super regional not that long ago.
Screw you and FSU.

Reaction Score
Congrats on your win today.

I didn't realize how much respect Izzo has for Calhoun and Ollie. If he has any say in expansion I bet he's in your corner.

Reaction Score
Congrats on your win today.

I didn't realize how much respect Izzo has for Calhoun and Ollie. If he has any say in expansion I bet he's in your corner.

I don't know Seablue. Izzo is pretty tight with Gary Williams as well, and we've had good luck against Md in the tourney. But Izzo wasn't excited about the last expansion.

Basketball coaches have to travel a lot more than the football coaches.

You've seen my posts on other boards, I'm just tired of football centric expansion & the AAU thing is grossly overstated. The ACC, a nice collection of academic institutions, added Lville. None of the elite private schools of the ACC voted against it.

UConn to the BIG would, IMHO, be a huge success. I also think KU would jump at a BIG invite in less than a heartbeat.

I like basketball and hockey. PSU needs another fellow hockey partner - hello UConn. As for basketball, the ACC has added Syracuse, Pitt, ND, and Lville - all of these schools have at least one FF and 4 NCs between them (Syracuse and Lville). We have to hold serve with the ACC on the basketball end. It is after all a profitable sport. Hockey in the BIG as well, well at least for some schools.

When football driven expansion comes up again - I know who I want. But let's get KU and UConn soon.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm still convinced that AAU status (which is just a matter of a few years) and demonstrating that we can be credible in football (jury is out, although we were there before the PGDL fiasco and Diaco appears to be the right guy, also will take a few years) are the only things delaying a B1G invitation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Year 2 of the 3-5 Year B1G Plan. Now that we've restored MBB as still being a Top 5 Elite and showed our NYC presence (although selling out Yankee Stadium would definitely help too), we have to still improve upon football (and attendance), AAU acceptance, and increase the endowment. The second two should take care of themselves with UCONN bulking up faculty to increase student population. We all need to rally behind football in 2014.

Dooley

Reaction Score
i think the b10 is all about the gravy train and they are proving it. so i still hold that the 18 i guess should be the 18 and that 20 down the road is a def also. lets say 2 of cuse/bc/gtech/kan are in the running for those spots. anyway, to the bball thing. i think the b10 is in a unique situation to do it. lets say the split happens and the 7 bball schools take the big east name for example here. of those 7 i see this.

prov-ri cable boxes/uconn matchup
shu-nj cb's /ruty matchup
sju-more nyc presence-open matchup but national known brand(possibly nd)
nova-phili cb's on top of psu/ruty. psu matchup
gtown-dc cb's/md matchup
marq-wisc cb's /wisc matchup
dep-chi cb's/ nwest matchup

the b10 network just got better prices in all 7 of those markets.

now explore:
creighton-nebraska
drake-iowa
wichita st-kansas
stl- ?(illinois maybe) (mizzu market that is held by b10 without mizzu, why they passed on them and mizzu went to sec...)
oak/det-mich/msu both possible but not high on list i would think
bradley-illinois
dayton-tosu
butler-purdue
xavier-ind
duq-?
siena-syracuse
w&m-uva
bu-bc (if u bring in bc, with bu's aau thing u make them a associate member of the b10 puck league also...)
david-unc

just something to chew on...i think u could make a pretty nice bball only league and pick your 16 or 18 from that list pretty easily...

just imagine the b10 network with a tier 2 deal. espn gets the league for 2 or 3 mil per team and gives them ok slots in winter programing but behind the big boys. b10 network gives them double headers on wd/fri nights and some weekend slots. killer $ opp for the b10n and a absolutely killer idea for them to OWN the footprint in both fball and bball. some 1 has to have visions like this. i have never once seen this talked about on a message board, but it sure imho should make some b10 person at least look it up and see if it makes sense. sure seems like it would. imagine owning anything thats relevant in the north east of college sports. then lets talk about taking over HE by taking nd/uconn/bc/bu. HE could be its small league still but a step behind the b10 puck league. and then lets talk about how w&m, nova, gtown, butler and all those teams all create there own b10 jr fcs football league as more of a partnership among everyone. they become a monster fcs leave with tv money and so on....i great ideas and visions.

Hi, HFD.

Reaction Score
And I grew-up watching a kid named Brian Leetch play hockey (and baseball) for my high school, which explains why Gary Bettman’s vision of NHL teams down in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, etc. is so foolish.

Tampa is the only southern team (maybe Dallas and LA) that get fans. The Panthers are a joke.

Dooley

Reaction Score
does HFD have a new twitter handle?

I don't know if he does. I haven't heard or seen anything from the B1GConn handle he used to have. I hope so though. I think he keeps UCONN in the discussion out there in Twitterland. Even if most of what he says is viewed as outlandish, it's more damning for UCONN to be forgotten about in CR.

Reaction Score
Typical NJ negativity from the RU 100 types who think RU is an Ivy...guess its to be expected but imagine the cry by the "crew" if RU were not going B1G? We'll be hearing a lot about the NJ state U with July 1st almost here!!

Reaction Score
Rutgers facilities are beyond bad. They have no choice but to forge ahead with a massive overhaul just to be at the bottom of the conference facilities wise.

Reaction Score
Rutgers facilities are beyond bad. They have no choice but to forge ahead with a massive overhaul just to be at the bottom of the conference facilities wise.
Beyond bad? Compared to what? Their supposed to be among the best of the OBE? Especially the weight room? Im not up on that stuff but remember what they've had to work with and I know the Hoops end is well below par but Shiano/Mulcahy/Pernetti were/did make FB there mission!! I hope you didnt think we'd be at U Mich or OSU/Neb levels? Have you seen SU's or Pitt's?

Reaction Score
“This is going to suck endless money out of the academic mission for at least eight or nine years,” said Mark R. Killingsworth, an economics professor at Rutgers who has studied the athletic department’s balance sheets.

Have to wonder if that will affect Rutgers' academic standing. The donors better be ready to spill out their pockets. Where's Mr Burton??

Reaction Score
“This is going to suck endless money out of the academic mission for at least eight or nine years,” said Mark R. Killingsworth, an economics professor at Rutgers who has studied the athletic department’s balance sheets.

Have to wonder if that will affect Rutgers' academic standing. The donors better be ready to spill out their pockets. Where's Mr Burton??
I wonder what would have happened at RU w/o the B1G invite where CIC money will supposedly dwarf what comes from athletic's? Ive heard B1G afiliation helps academics MORE than the other way around? As Ive said im not a big follow the money guy...just curious!?! What did Vivardi say just previous to that statement? Are Killingsworth and his ilk clamoring for AAC afiliation now?I certainly hope the private donors are starting to line up with their checkbooks since so many were disappointed in Tyler Phommachanh's firing for the PC hire of JH!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder what would have happened at RU w/o the B1G invite where CIC money will supposedly dwarf what comes from athletic's? Ive heard B1G afiliation helps academics MORE than the other way around? As Ive said im not a big follow the money guy...just curious!?! What did Vivardi say just previous to that statement? Are Killingsworth and his ilk clamoring for AAC afiliation now?I certainly hope the private donors are starting to line up with their checkbooks since so many were disappointed in Tyler Phommachanh's firing for the PC hire of JH!!

The CIC's budget is small. $5 million in grants last year for the 12 B1G universities. Not $5 million each. $5 million total.

Reaction Score
I know nada about finances but have read CIC is B1G $$$$ so I dont know what to make of it? Is it all exagerated BS? Im just curious as no matter what NJ got a golden ticket compared to almost any other struggling former P6 teams or G5 .,,,the lifeline and we need 1 here in the next 2 yrs to keep the FB team going/trending up. Its unreal the budget constraints UConn will be under soon on Aresco's deal! I think somethings gonna break soon and not in both Fla directional's!?!

Reaction Score
I know nada about finances but have read CIC is B1G so I dont know what to make of it? Is it all exagerated BS? Im just curious as no matter what NJ got a golden ticket compared to almost any other struggling former P6 teams or G5 .,,,the lifeline and we need 1 here in the next 2 yrs to keep the FB team going/trending up. Its unreal the budget constraints UConn will be under soon on Aresco's deal! I think somethings gonna break soon and not in both Fla directional's!?!

People say all sorts of stuff. You can't believe it all. Most people just repeat what they here and never really investigate what they are talking about. Even the AAU thing is totally overblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom