B1G | Page 88 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
husky25, it was 90% joke and 10% serious.
I used to write for the daily campus for a couple of years, and my first story was covering the equestrian team (is there still one at UConn?)
They do make you earn your stripes. Neil Ostrout was my editor, great guy. He even let me cover the final whaler year in 1997 instead of using the AP feed - as long as it didn't interfere with my UConn responsibilities.
Yes Viking I posted my thoughts goodnaturedly too thinking it sounded credible to me but really wanting it to be more solid than most of the rumors making the blogging rounds! I did'nt intend to sound doubtful and I'm not.

Reaction Score
husky25, it was 90% joke and 10% serious.
I used to write for the daily campus for a couple of years, and my first story was covering the equestrian team (is there still one at UConn?)
They do make you earn your stripes. Neil Ostrout was my editor, great guy. He even let me cover the final whaler year in 1997 instead of using the AP feed - as long as it didn't interfere with my UConn responsibilities.

A equestrian team at UConn?? Did they have a polo team? :) Did we win the Big East Equestrian championship ever? :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A equestrian team at UConn?? Did they have a polo team? :) Did we win the Big East Equestrian championship ever? :)

Do we have a polo team?! Do we?!

By God, we have the polo team.

True story - when we ran Husky Blue & White, I met a polo horse. I took a picture of it - had no idea what the hell else to do when meeting a horse.

Reaction Score
Do we have a polo team?! Do we?!

By God, we have the polo team.

True story - when we ran Husky Blue & White, I met a polo horse. I took a picture of it - had no idea what the hell else to do when meeting a horse.

Wow... I knew UConn had a water skiing team. Just wondering did anyone from UConn's Polo team got drafted into the National Polo League (sponsored by Polo Ralph Lauren)? :)

Do we think we would do better in Polo in the B1G or the ACC? :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow... I knew UConn had a water skiing team. Just wondering did anyone from UConn's Polo team got drafted into the National Polo League (sponsored by Polo Ralph Lauren)? :)

Do we think we would do better in Polo in the B1G or the ACC? :)

We can't do better....we win the national championship every year.

I dunno what happened this year, but as of last year, we had four straight titles and ten overall.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We can't do better....we win the national championship every year.

I dunno what happened this year, but as of last year, we had four straight titles and ten overall.
1158.jpg

Well color me surprised.

Reaction Score
This isn't exactly ground breaking news but I confirmed with a Uconn staff member that the university's number one academic priority is to become a "research one" university which they feel will lead to AAU membership. I asked for a time table to reach this. Hoping to hear its before the B1G contract renews but will post if I hear anything.

#b1gharder

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the point. HE is a bus league. The average must be about 2.5 hours for UConn. It's also a national powerhouse. The B1G has some incredible programs, but aside from PSU, not remotely drivable.

Once the program is upgraded we can still schedule HE schools as OOC

Reaction Score
Once the program is upgraded we can still schedule HE schools as OOC
Right now, the Hockey East is a significantly better conference for UConn hockey, all-around. Going against the top of the HE is much easier than going against the top of the B1G. After 2 or 3 championships, then we're good to go in the B1G. If properly planned and run, we have championship potential. We need to cultivate a fanbase in hockey, too, and that is not easy. 3 players on the Olympic men's team are from the state of CT. Long term, the B1G's dollars trump the ACC's dollars.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Right now, the Hockey East is a significantly better conference for UConn hockey, all-around. Going against the top of the HE is much easier than going against the top of the B1G. After 2 or 3 championships, then we're good to go in the B1G.

You're kidding, right? You've gotta be. Hockey East is the SEC of college hockey...

Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? You've gotta be. Hockey East is the SEC of college hockey...
I'll be lynched if I keep saying I'd rather be in the ACC and the Hockey East. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are great programs. Michigan State has 3 championships. Ohio State needs a rink for it's hockey program. Penn State just started but sure did well as a club team in the ACHA. They play each other 4 times a year. In the HE, we'd play each program 2, 3 or 4 times, depending. Our program has been ignored for so long by the administration. Now, it seems the administration wants to place the rink in a very visible spot.

I prefer the rivalries and traditions of the northeast over the midwest, any day. I prefer the HE and ECAC over the B1G. The majority of D1 northeast football traditions are also in the ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now, it seems the administration wants to place the rink in a very visible spot.

Where is that?

Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Where is that?

X lot area similar vicinity to where the new rec center is going but closer to hill top than teds. I've got a short pdf presentation from Uconn that was going around about the new master plan.

Reaction Score
X lot area similar vicinity to where the new rec center is going but closer to hill top than teds. I've got a short pdf presentation from Uconn that was going around about the new master plan.
Please post.

Reaction Score
I'll be lynched if I keep saying I'd rather be in the ACC and the Hockey East. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are great programs. Michigan State has 3 championships. Ohio State needs a rink for it's hockey program. Penn State just started but sure did well as a club team in the ACHA. They play each other 4 times a year. In the HE, we'd play each program 2, 3 or 4 times, depending. Our program has been ignored for so long by the administration. Now, it seems the administration wants to place the rink in a very visible spot.

I prefer the rivalries and traditions of the northeast over the midwest, any day. I prefer the HE and ECAC over the B1G. The majority of D1 northeast football traditions are also in the ACC.

The two conferences are about even. HE won 8 of the last 20 championships, and the B1G has won 6.

On the other hand, HE has been the runner-up 12 times and B1G only 2.

So, HE is 8-12 (some of those wins and losses were all-HE finals) while B1g is 6-2.

Reaction Score
The two conferences are about even. HE won 8 of the last 20 championships, and the B1G has won 6.

On the other hand, HE has been the runner-up 12 times and B1G only 2.

So, HE is 8-12 (some of those wins and losses were all-HE finals) while B1g is 6-2.
The HE is more balanced than the B1G. The B1G is very top heavy. Same with football. I am having trouble in seeing the allure of taking an immediate risk of being another Indiana or Purdue or Rutgers. We have more of an upside in the ACC in football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The HE is more balanced than the B1G. The B1G is very top heavy. Same with football. I am having trouble in seeing the allure of taking an immediate risk of being another Indiana or Purdue or Rutgers. We have more of an upside in the ACC in football.
I understand were your coming from Butch but I think you underestimate UConn's FB potential if you think they can't be a solid "middle of the pack" B1G team like an Iowa/MSU? I do agree you would have a better shot week in and out of regular top 5s in FB the ACC and the fact BB is played at a little higher level/priority but see SU/Duke and the crazy HcourtA would Tobacco Rd be impossible to neutralize? I hate what CR is doing to natural regional rival's!!

Reaction Score
I understand were your coming from Butch but I think you underestimate UConn's FB potential if you think they can't be a solid "middle of the pack" B1G team like an Iowa/MSU? I do agree you would have a better shot week in and out of regular top 5s in FB the ACC and the fact BB is played at a little higher level/priority but see SU/Duke and the crazy HcourtA would Tobacco Rd be impossible to neutralize? I hate what CR is doing to natural regional rival's!!
Have you seen our football recruit class's national ranking? It's as if we are lower than Sun Belt and MAC schools. I know we are much better than that but we have some really big perception issues to deal with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see all of the hockey talk (might as well be Greek to this southerner).

Anybody talking baseball? Anybody care about baseball?...the season is alive.

If I remember right, UConn was one of the better northern baseball clubs....Went to a Super regional not that long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom