Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12....

Reaction Score
How confident are you in that 57K?
D1 tracker is they only thing I had to go off of so it may not be accurate to butts in seats, but it is what we got for a relative comparison. And what we really need is TV viewers but that is probably harder to find.

I am sure you and many of you have been to games in big college football areas where there is tradition even when the team is bad or mediocre. That is my point more than the exact numbers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Adding ASU and Utah will end up as being the dumbest move for the Big 12.

They didn't need redundancy in Utah and Arizona. Those were safe picks, established brands, but expanding eastward in my opinion would have opened up new media markets.

Yormark had a vision, he should have stuck to his guns. I'm sure the university presidents including Colorado and Arizona rallied for ASU and Utah, but in the end I don't think the Big 12 is better because of their additions.

If UConn ends up in another conference eventually, the Big 12 will look back and wonder what if?

Let's keep winning championships and support the football team.

ASU, Utah, really? UConn was low hanging fruit. SMH.
True but there is a lot more to this equation.

The logical end game is the B1G and SEC with 40-48 combined members as tier one. Tier two would be two or three conferences (number of actual conferences may not fully matter) with another 40 or so members.

By adding ASU & Utah, the B-12 was able to remove the PAC from the equation of potential tier two conferences. The remaining schools from the PAC likely will get absorbed at some point in tier two conferences but a number of lesser brands in the B-12 likely weren't very confident that they would find a tier two home if their conference was raided down the road. Now they can have a good amount of confidence that tier two will include all current members of their conference.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 take Pitt or Cuse? IIRC the Big 12 commissioner already visited Storrs and came away very impressed while he ignored Pitt or Cuse. It’s clear the Big 12 is more interested in UConn than a low level ACC team for a northeastern corridor/NYC market grab. Cuse or Pitt didn’t make a great hire in Mora, UConn did.
Pitt is such an obvious fit for the Big 12. They have WVU and Cincy and are quality. They didn’t vet it because the ACC isn’t open for business yet. It’s not obvious to me that the Big 12 is “more interested” in us

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why there's been zero interest by the Big 10 to add UConn? It seems like a no-brainer. UConn > Rutgers and would be a logical expansion into the Northeast Market. Big 10 or bust for me. The Big 12 played us and the ACC is a dying conference. I feel bad for the football recruits that have been told we're getting into the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why there's been zero interest by the Big 10 to add UConn? It seems like a no-brainer. UConn > Rutgers and would be a logical expansion into the Northeast Market. Big 10 or bust for me. The Big 12 played us and the ACC is a dying conference. I feel bad for the football recruits that have been told we're getting into the Big 12.
connecticut is a small state, uconn is not in aau, our football team was awful during the 2010s. That does not mean if UConn improves academic research and gets into AAU and the football team ends the season in the top 25 -- we wouldn't be asked to join. Maybe around the same time they go after Duke, UVA etc.

Reaction Score

Because the big 10 can get anyone they want except for sec teams sand there’s too many schools who have more value than UConn. And they are in no rush so they can just wait for who they want in the Acc to be available.

For the recruits I doubt they’ve been told 100% we were going more like that it’s on the table and what it would mean for us. Just like last year when a recruit mentioned mora was talking about joining the Acc. And regardless, they could always still decomitt if this news is a deal breaker

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once again UConn has been used for leverage. Are there any conferences in Canada?
That's a depressing thought, so I guess it would be fun to play Syracuse again.

CL82

Reaction Score
connecticut is a small state, uconn is not in aau, our football team was awful during the 2010s. That does not mean if UConn improves academic research and gets into AAU and the football team ends the season in the top 25 -- we wouldn't be asked to join. Maybe around the same time they go after Duke, UVA etc.
Add to that that the big 10 gets first tier pricing for its net work in the NYCDMA which includes Fairfield County. They've gotten what they wanted in the nyc metro area.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Our basketball franchises are number 1 in the country. We don’t need to beg anyone for an invite.
As I'm sure you're aware by now, basketball means NOTHING to these people. It's all about football, and our football has been arguably the worst FBS program over the last decade as a G5 school. No one is going to take us unless we get 5+ very solid seasons under our belt going forward.

Reaction Score
Connecticut is mid-sized by population (29th) and has a larger population than two states with schools in the Big 10 and for what it's worth is not much small than Oklahoma and I don't think many conferences wouldn't want Oklahoma.

CL82

Reaction Score
Connecticut is mid-sized by population (29th) and has a larger population than two states with schools in the Big 10 and for what it's worth is not much small than Oklahoma and I don't think many conferences wouldn't want Oklahoma.
Keep in mind that, though Connecticut is not a large State, UConn is the only show in town. We're not dividing our fan base among multiple college football fans. Also keep in mind that our reach goes beyond our borders. Within a couple hundred miles of campus there are about 24 million people. Within 150 miles there are about 12 to 14,000,000 people. Many of those are Connecticut fans, but many of them are also fans of the teams that will be visiting us. We just need a little bit of football success so that we can start filling the Rent again.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here is one of the more interesting thoughts I've read in awhile. It's crazy, but the idea of "owning the inventory" actually does have merit. It's from the Pitt premium board. Have at it.

I really think the remnants of the PAC12, the new Big 12, and the top of the ACC need to get together and just merge. Full on safety in numbers approach.

Go 36 teams, **** it. Using the ACC umbrella change the conference name. Keep the ACCN and turn it into whatever this is called.

Keep every teams current payout, Apple can get in on it for tier 3 rights at the $20M per PAC12 school they offered. Gotta find $10M more per PAC12 from somewhere to bridge the gap not my problem (but if they join the Big12 first and get pro rate shares? Maybe something there)

6 pods of 6. You play the 5 in your pod and then NFL style where if you finish 3rd the next year you play the other 5 3rd place teams.

11 game conference schedule and do whatever with the 12th. FCS or a protected rival

Northeast Pod
Pitt, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Syracuse, UCONN, Boston College

Atlantic Pod
UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake, Virginia Tech, Virginia,

Southern Pod
FSU, Miami, UCF, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Clemson

Central Pod
Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor

Southwest Pod
Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Houston, Colorado San Diego State

Northwest Pod
Oregon State, Washington State, Utah, BYU, Cal, Stanford

**** the B1G and SEC. Yeah you're 3rd. But you own the inventory

But no commissioner has the stones to approach this.

If any of the current ACC bounce, **** em, then just replace them with Memphis, UCONN, App State, whatever. Only so many gonna get B1G and SEC invites. Cuz maybe that will never come.

Be the conference that saves CFB.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has smaller population than the last three states which had a school go to B10. Maryland, New Jersey and Calif.

Reaction Score
The northeast just doesn’t support college football. It’s all about pro sports here. We have no FBS history. No tradition. We had a few years where we were decent with our Fiesta Bowl year and had some good crowds at the Rent. But that is a blip compared to these P5 schools that for the most part support their team even when they are bad. It is way more than just a few bad hires. It was the majority of our FBS existence. And it was way worse than bad. It was historically bad. And with bad came almost no support. Those of you who were with me at a near empty Rent over the last few years are nodding. Meanwhile, the South and Midwest set their clock to college football. Iowa State was 1-8 - dead last in the Big 12 and have average 57k over the last 5 years - near capacity.

I didn’t buy this doubling down on basketball stuff. I am sorry to say, nobody cares about basketball and certainly not the media partners that are driving these crazy conference deals. If folks cared, we would have already been there. But they don’t. We went back to the Big East to save basketball in the short term. Many of us on the football board were against it. But that is how the country sees it. UConn gave up on football so why the heck would these conferences just hand us $50million in TV contract $ that is 80% driven by football?

I love Mora and think he has us on the right path. I love attending UConn football games and will continue to do so. I love that we won #5 last spring and have great hockey and baseball. I trust in our Athletic Department. Yes, not getting into the Big 12 suxx and it is easy to look at the negative and doom and gloom. But there will be more change in the coming years. ALOT more change. Just keep supporting your teams. All your UConn teams - but especially football and (hopefully) things will be ok.
The Iowa State Cyclones don’t play at the Rent, they play at state of the art Jack Trice stadium, which is on campus, and not 22 miles away from the campus on an industrial dumping site. Trice Stadium is named after black American football player Jack Trice who died in 1923 in a game against Minnesota, after being trampled by three Minnesota players. When Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark came to visit UConn, did he bother to visit the Rent? I don’t think so.

Jack Trice (died prematurely in 1923) was Iowa State's first afro American athlete.

Reaction Score
Pitt is such an obvious fit for the Big 12. They have WVU and Cincy and are quality. They didn’t vet it because the ACC isn’t open for business yet. It’s not obvious to me that the Big 12 is “more interested” in us
I don’t see Pitt being a great fit for the Big 12, and it’s no where near the NYC/Boston northeast corridor, but it is a great fit for the B1G. Right next door to Penn State, Ohio State, and the state of Maryland.

Reaction Score
Nebraska is a smaller state, Nebraska is not in AAU, and their football team was awful during the 2010’s (especially when considering their revenue level).

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Nebraska is a smaller state, Nebraska is not in AAU, and their football team was awful during the 2010’s (especially when considering their revenue level).
Nebraska has sold out all home football games since before the Cuban Missile crisis. Their stadium is more than double the capacity of the Rent and they've consistently had spring game crowds exceeding 65k. By their standards the past dozen years have been beyond horrible but it was miles above what we put on the field during the same period. They wouldn't have lost to Holy Cross or needed a defensive stand to beat URI and Yale. They would have had third stringers on the field by halftime.

Yes, our current plight sucks and yes, we've done a lot more in football than most of the country realizes but we aren't helping ourselves with comments like that. All it does is reinforce the idea that we (our school, our fan base) really doesn't know what college football is.

Reaction Score
Nebraska has sold out all home football games since before the Cuban Missile crisis. Their stadium is more than double the capacity of the Rent and they've consistently had spring game crowds exceeding 65k. By their standards the past dozen years have been beyond horrible but it was miles above what we put on the field during the same period. They wouldn't have lost to Holy Cross or needed a defensive stand to beat URI and Yale. They would have had third stringers on the field by halftime.

Yes, our current plight sucks and yes, we've done a lot more in football than most of the country realizes but we aren't helping ourselves with comments like that. All it does is reinforce the idea that we (our school, our fan base) really doesn't know what college football is.
Sold out because they brought in the likes of Ohio st, Michigan, Penn st, etc. while we brought in Tulsa and Memphis.
And Lincoln’s 200 miles from KC - they are the definition of the only show in town.
And have obviously done nothing with their historic football past to keep football strong.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Sold out because they brought in the likes of Ohio st, Michigan, Penn st, etc. while we brought in Tulsa and Memphis.
And Lincoln’s 200 miles from KC - they are the definition of the only show in town.
And have obviously done nothing with their historic football past to keep football strong.
They haven't been bring the likes of Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St for more than six decades. There was a very long stretch when Oklahoma, every other year was their chance to show their fans a top tier opponent. The remainder of their home schedule was then (when the Big Eight was called Big two and little six) was Kansas or Kansas St (when each had multiple winless seasons) Iowa St or Missouri (neither was much then) Oklahoma St (in seasons when they weren't hosting Oklahoma) and alternating home and road games with a sub-par Colorado team. Seven of their nine games (it was a nine game season in those days) were B-8 opponents and the rest were either two home games with the likes of Wyoming and one of the Dakotas (pre 1A-1Aa split) or a reasonable top program with a home and home arrangement. They didn't start selling out games once the schedule was filled with top name schools.

Using the "we aren't the only show in town here" doesn't help our argument. In fact, it helps the detractors as they can easily claim "they only care about college football if nothing else is going on".

Yes, they have done nothing the past dozen years but in that time, if we played them every year there would have been maybe two or three games where we would still have been in the game at halftime.

Reaction Score

When you consider that almost all of Nebraska is several hundred miles away from an NFL or Major League Baseball team, it makes sense that the state’s university gets all that fandom. Even though Connecticut also has no baseball or football pro teams, the state is very close to NYC and reasonably close to Boston.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
When you consider that almost all of Nebraska is several hundred miles away from an NFL or Major League Baseball team, it makes sense that the state’s university gets all that fandom. Even though Connecticut also has no baseball or football pro teams, the state is very close to NYC and reasonably close to Boston.
Yeah, but again this would be an argument against us as it makes it too easy for one of our detractors to claim we'll never take college football seriously because our fan base will only follow it if nothing else is going on and there's normally a lot of professional sporting events going on.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but again this would be an argument against us as it makes it too easy for one of our detractors to claim we'll never take college football seriously because our fan base will only follow it if nothing else is going on and there's normally a lot of professional sporting events going on.
Don’t mean to argue as I agree with most of want you’ve posted.
But I disagree with your point here. The fact that we could draw what we have against boring competition and competing locally against other pro sports options vs high profile competition with Omaha’s AAA team as options only bolsters our potential.

When we were playing good football in the BE our attendance was solid. And the Giants and Pats were playing each other in the Superbowl

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 take Pitt or Cuse? IIRC the Big 12 commissioner already visited Storrs and came away very impressed while he ignored Pitt or Cuse. It’s clear the Big 12 is more interested in UConn than a low level ACC team for a northeastern corridor/NYC market grab. Cuse or Pitt didn’t make a great hire in Mora, UConn did.
He likely didn't visit them because they are tied to the GOR of the ACC. I guarantee, if the ACC implodes and it comes down to the Big 12 choosing between Pitt, Cuse, or UConn, UConn will be left out...again.

Reaction Score
Looking back, how smart does Syracuse look now at going to the ACC? Irrelevant in both basketball and football.
They have a home there with a great income. They have football history. I don't see them as irrelevant, but middle of the pack. They did the right thing to save themselves.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I began rooting for Georgia after watching a game when they were number 2 in the nation and Alabama played them at their stadium coming as the number one to that game. Alabama crushed Georgia. The stadium stayed packed the entire game.

That's the cultural difference between UConn fans and the fans in the midwest and south.

We don't attend games unless they're marquis, we arrive late and leave early unless the game is tight and exciting. On the other hand many of our fans that don't prefer to have the game time experience do turn on the game at home. And that is the important factor for the media looking at us. Not how many eyeballs are at the stadium. They don't sell hot dogs and beer. But how many viewers turn on our games whoever is distributing content.

And that is where winning becomes important. Get exciting teams that provide exciting games and we will watch. The media has ways to monitor us even if a fan in Pedunk North Dakota doesn't know if we even have a football team. And eventually with sustained success he might.

Coastal Carolina had two season where they received national broadcasting even as they had trouble filling up their small stadium. Mora is on the right track. As much so because he's working to engage people in New England as he's working to improve the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom