Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12.... | The Boneyard

Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12....

Reaction Score
The four additions to the B12 have a combined winning percentage below .500 in the past 5 seasons and last year they were below .400. But yeah, it is football that drives the conference expansion bus.:rolleyes:
Well, I'm sure the big boys want to count on some easy wins to pad their records.

Reaction Score
The four additions to the B12 have a combined winning percentage below .500 in the past 5 seasons and last year they were below .400. But yeah, it is football that drives the conference expansion bus.:rolleyes:
We lost to Holy Cross, had narrow wins against URI, Wagner and Yale, 2-2 against UMass... Didnt attempt to play one year. We are paying the entire coaching staff what the WBBcoach makes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's Left...ACC? FSU wants out....
FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe UNC to the SEC I think is how it would play out.

Leaves NC State, Duke, UVA, VA Tech, Wake, Syracuse, Pitt, B.C, Louisville, Ga Tech. Makes for a pretty good BB conference I tell ya. Be a great home for UCONN, kind of our speed in football as well.

You could invite maybe James Madison as a 12th and pilfer from the Sun Belt in the future.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe UNC to the SEC I think is how it would play out.

Leaves NC State, Duke, UVA, VA Tech, Wake, Syracuse, Pitt, B.C, Louisville, Ga Tech. Makes for a pretty good BB conference I tell ya. Be a great home for UCONN, kind of our speed in football as well.

You could invite maybe James Madison as a 12th and pilfer from the Sun Belt in the future.
If FSU successfully challenges the GOR and wins - and the SEC welcomes them (not guaranteed) - then I think the B1G acts to grab UVA and UNC, which are the best cultural fits. Doubtful the B1G acts first on poaching the ACC. They'll wait to see how FSU's challenge goes.

Clemson would likely follow FSU to the SEC if the SEC wants to expand, but it would probably still have to cough up the $120 mill exit fee even if the GOR is successfully challenged. FSU seems willing to pay that bill. Don't know if Clemson is in the same shape.

I don't think either of the B1G or SEC would be interested in Miami. The B12 might.

And if FSU can't successfully get the GOR tossed, it's likely everyone t does wait for 2036.

But if those legal challenges do succeed, odds are B12 considers going to 20. If they do, then it makes sense the SEC would follow, so all three conferences would have 20 members.

Given that the new environment for B12 expansion would now include the entire ACC, it's doubtful UConn remains the top prize in the east (unless football makes dramatic improvements both on the field and in the bank account).

And then you've got ND. They're gonna have a tough choice to make. They legally committed to join the ACC if they forego independence. And it's going to get interesting if they can still do the kind of scheduling they want with four PAC12 teams now in the B1G. Obviously landing in the B1G would be best for them, but that would take some miraculous legal maneuvering and precision timing to have a chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We lost to Holy Cross, had narrow wins against URI, Wagner and Yale, 2-2 against UMass... Didnt attempt to play one year. We are paying the entire coaching staff what the WBBcoach makes.
Probably because football drives the “conferences” bus, basketball drives UCONN’s athletic bus.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
If FSU successfully challenges the GOR and wins - and the SEC welcomes them (not guaranteed) - then I think the B1G acts to grab UVA and UNC, which are the best cultural fits. Doubtful the B1G acts first on poaching the ACC. They'll wait to see how FSU's challenge goes.

Clemson would likely follow FSU to the SEC if the SEC wants to expand, but it would probably still have to cough up the $120 mill exit fee even if the GOR is successfully challenged. FSU seems willing to pay that bill. Don't know if Clemson is in the same shape.

I don't think either of the B1G or SEC would be interested in Miami. The B12 might.

And if FSU can't successfully get the GOR tossed, it's likely everyone t does wait for 2036.

But if those legal challenges do succeed, odds are B12 considers going to 20. If they do, then it makes sense the SEC would follow, so all three conferences would have 20 members.

Given that the new environment for B12 expansion would now include the entire ACC, it's doubtful UConn remains the top prize in the east (unless football makes dramatic improvements both on the field and in the bank account).

And then you've got ND. They're gonna have a tough choice to make. They legally committed to join the ACC if they forego independence. And it's going to get interesting if they can still do the kind of scheduling they want with four PAC12 teams now in the B1G. Obviously landing in the B1G would be best for them, but that would take some miraculous legal maneuvering and precision timing to have a chance.
It begs the question - if the ACC opens up and the Big 12 takes Cuse and Pitt, would it even be still worth going there?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Only if BC goes too.
I was going to like this but then I realized that would benefit BC so I can't do that. I hope they go fade away in the MAC or something.

Reaction Score
It begs the question - if the ACC opens up and the Big 12 takes Cuse and Pitt, would it even be still worth going there?
I don’t think Syracuse or Pitt would be interested. Louisville is the only I think would bite. The ACC could make some adds that would help satisfy S and P concerns. Including us.

Reaction Score
If we get a basketball only invite from them, we should take it. It gets our foot in the door and would likely come with some scheduling agreement for football. If we continue the current trajectory of the program under Mora, then I can see them giving us a football invite sometime in the future. Also, being a member in basketball+the scheduling agreement would help us build a rapport with the Big 12 schools to the point where I think we would definitely have the upper hand over the ACC schools when the next cycle of realignment happens and the Big 12 thinks about expanding again.

Reaction Score
Wow just wow. From B12 maybe kicking the tires to the car off the cliff, today really sucked for the program. I think SEC, B12 and B10 (now 18!) stay as is for awhile maybe for good? ACC is at 14, does ND give up its independence? Is Stanford the 16th school? If so, will that satisfy FSU and Clemson? And does the gate for everyone else? A P4 with 66 members and everyone else screwed!?

Reaction Score
I guess the only hope might be that ND, Stanford and Cal join the ACC but FSU and Clemson bolt for the SEC and the ACC needs to add us as the 16th team.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Still hearing ND ends up in the Big Ten when they realize they need a conference

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Such a colossal fail by the Pac10 leadership.

It was only a dozen years ago when the Pac10 had the largest contract in all of college sports, finished the season with 3 of the top 6 teams in football and the Pac10 actually turned down overtures from Texas and Oklahoma to join the Pac10. Fast forward a dozen years, and the Pac10 doesn't even exist. Absolutely insane to think about, and shows how important great leadership is!

Quotes from an article in 2011 :

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott shot down the idea of adding Texas and Oklahoma to the conference.
A day after conference expansion Armageddon was avoided with the Pac-12 taking a pass on Oklahoma and Texas, commissioner Larry Scott was in good cheer. And why not? Scott's conference still has the richest TV deal and is the most unified and stable in the nation.
"We could have expanded, but the deal didn't make any sense at the end of the day for us, especially given the position that we are in," Scott said. "There is a very high bar. It's hard to imagine very many scenarios for our conference to expand because the bar is so high."
Scott, meanwhile, said he didn’t want to add teams and damage the conference’s “culture.”

“An opportunity was turned down that could have generated more money for the schools but potentially could have torn apart the fabric of the culture of the conference,” he said.

Reaction Score
I realize everyone on this board(and all "boards") knows "Football Drives the Bus" but still, it's a bit disconcerting(disheartening)(?) to imagine the reaction when one states "UConn just Won their 5th National Championship in Men's Basketball in 24 years..."(Not to mention the "few" WBB rings), and all you hear across this Fruited Plain is a great Collective...Yawn...

Reaction Score
It's amazing this is barely discussed on the men's board. This is a yet another tough day for UConn football.
It'll be one of those things they don't notice until 20 years from now

Reaction Score
I realize everyone on this board(and all "boards") knows "Football Drives the Bus" but still, it's a bit disconcerting(disheartening)(?) to imagine the reaction when one states "UConn just Won their 5th National Championship in Men's Basketball in 24 years..."(Not to mention the "few" WBB rings), and all you hear across this Fruited Plain is a great Collective...Yawn...
look, if football didn't drive the bus then there's no way Utah gets in over UConn... but it does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom