Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah to B12....

Reaction Score
this just goes to show how devastating pasqualoni/diaco/edsall_2 eras were for this program. I never imagined our football brand being viewed THIS badly by the national stage when the time came, but looking again over the statistics during the years 2018, 2019 especially... gosh we were just an absolute joke. I do not mean offense by that, but i find no other way to describe it.

and as much as I wish the contrary, I understand the hesitation from B12 presidents and ADs to believe that a 6-7 program has really turned the corner from 6-32. There's a lot of money on the line. it hurts a lot, but i understand.

as a relatively new fan, i'm just catching up to the history. I'm sure the boneyard is fully aware, so not trying to pour salt on the wound, but just reflecting now, on just how damaging this was. what a fall from fiesta-bowl grace.

very... VERY... sad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am completely disgusted from this latest gut punch. How many times will we get screwed? In due time people who want to stay in the BE will see the results of being there. I love my university, and sports are something I also love. Unfortunately i truly believe the next 10 years will be a slow death for our overall competitiveness in the major college sport scene.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Rule #1 always wins out so I'm not shocked. What concerns me is what happens with Mora. He said that conference affiliation is going to matter and my hunch is that he was banking on us making it into the Big 12. I'm curious if that QB recruit from TX was told something similar.

I could easily see Mora leaving because we lack a conference and our small financial resources are limiting what he needs to do. We can't keep up at this spending pace.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
It's amazing this is barely discussed on the men's board. This is a yet another tough day for UConn football.
This is because 80% of them are delusional and feel that not getting into the Big 12 was a win and staying in the BE is where it's at. Their view is as short sighted as the Big 12's expansion view.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our independent scheduling options just expanded. If that means fewer games against Liberty, it's a win for us. WSU, OSU are better off going indy than joining the MW. Question is can they adjust to the drop in revenue

Reaction Score
What
This is because 80% of them are delusional and feel that not getting into the Big 12 was a win and staying in the BE is where it's at. Their view is as short sighted as the Big 12's expansion view.
Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize that these contracts for football pays the bills for 99 percent of the Olympic sports at most schools. Even if you have no use for football- it"s the revenue generator for the rest of the athletic dept. I believe UConn Mens and Women's basketball are in in a good spot because everything I read - they are self sufficient on the revenue side.

Title 9 will also be a bigger issue going forward. If we don't get enough money into the coffers - programs will need to be cut to comply. State taxpayers and tuition will not be enough to cover all these sports.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Our independent scheduling options just expanded. If that means fewer games against Liberty, it's a win for us. WSU, OSU are better off going indy than joining the MW. Question is can they adjust to the drop in revenue
There is no way they are better off going independent. I don't know how we have the deal we have for FB but full credit goes to AD DB. The guaranteed money that the MW will give WSU and OSU is a no brainier.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we get a basketball only invite from them, we should take it. It gets our foot in the door and would likely come with some scheduling agreement for football. If we continue the current trajectory of the program under Mora, then I can see them giving us a football invite sometime in the future. Also, being a member in basketball+the scheduling agreement would help us build a rapport with the Big 12 schools to the point where I think we would definitely have the upper hand over the ACC schools when the next cycle of realignment happens and the Big 12 thinks about expanding again.
Hell no, unless they are willing to offer a full share (equal to what full members receive), which they would never do.

Prior to last night I did not believe one narrative (that a handful on this board have been claiming) that Yormark never really wanted us as a full member, but needed the threat to land the four corner schools from the PAC. I also doubted the rumor that they were considering adding basketball only membership with some schools. If we do get a basketball only offer it will confirm that both claims that I doubted were in fact real. If someone wants to use us, the only reason to agree to it would be if we are also using them, both sides are fully aware of the relationship terms and we are getting more out of it than we are providing. If they want our brand for basketball, we demand a premium in return.

Reaction Score
It begs the question - if the ACC opens up and the Big 12 takes Cuse and Pitt, would it even be still worth going there?
Why would the Big 12 take Pitt or Cuse? IIRC the Big 12 commissioner already visited Storrs and came away very impressed while he ignored Pitt or Cuse. It’s clear the Big 12 is more interested in UConn than a low level ACC team for a northeastern corridor/NYC market grab. Cuse or Pitt didn’t make a great hire in Mora, UConn did.

Reaction Score
The northeast just doesn’t support college football. It’s all about pro sports here. We have no FBS history. No tradition. We had a few years where we were decent with our Fiesta Bowl year and had some good crowds at the Rent. But that is a blip compared to these P5 schools that for the most part support their team even when they are bad. It is way more than just a few bad hires. It was the majority of our FBS existence. And it was way worse than bad. It was historically bad. And with bad came almost no support. Those of you who were with me at a near empty Rent over the last few years are nodding. Meanwhile, the South and Midwest set their clock to college football. Iowa State was 1-8 - dead last in the Big 12 and have average 57k over the last 5 years - near capacity.

I didn’t buy this doubling down on basketball stuff. I am sorry to say, nobody cares about basketball and certainly not the media partners that are driving these crazy conference deals. If folks cared, we would have already been there. But they don’t. We went back to the Big East to save basketball in the short term. Many of us on the football board were against it. But that is how the country sees it. UConn gave up on football so why the heck would these conferences just hand us $50million in TV contract $ that is 80% driven by football?

I love Mora and think he has us on the right path. I love attending UConn football games and will continue to do so. I love that we won #5 last spring and have great hockey and baseball. I trust in our Athletic Department. Yes, not getting into the Big 12 suxx and it is easy to look at the negative and doom and gloom. But there will be more change in the coming years. ALOT more change. Just keep supporting your teams. All your UConn teams - but especially football and (hopefully) things will be ok.

Reaction Score
The northeast just doesn’t support college football. It’s all about pro sports here. We have no FBS history. No tradition. We had a few years where we were decent with our Fiesta Bowl year and had some good crowds at the Rent. But that is a blip compared to these P5 schools that for the most part support their team even when they are bad. It is way more than just a few bad hires. It was the majority of our FBS existence. And it was way worse than bad. It was historically bad. And with bad came almost no support. Those of you who were with me at a near empty Rent over the last few years are nodding. Meanwhile, the South and Midwest set their clock to college football. Iowa State was 1-8 - dead last in the Big 12 and have average 57k over the last 5 years - near capacity.

I didn’t buy this doubling down on basketball stuff. I am sorry to say, nobody cares about basketball and certainly not the media partners that are driving these crazy conference deals. If folks cared, we would have already been there. But they don’t. We went back to the Big East to save basketball in the short term. Many of us on the football board were against it. But that is how the country sees it. UConn gave up on football so why the heck would these conferences just hand us $50million in TV contract $ that is 80% driven by football?

I love Mora and think he has us on the right path. I love attending UConn football games and will continue to do so. I love that we won #5 last spring and have great hockey and baseball. I trust in our Athletic Department. Yes, not getting into the Big 12 suxx and it is easy to look at the negative and doom and gloom. But there will be more change in the coming years. ALOT more change. Just keep supporting your teams. All your UConn teams - but especially football and (hopefully) things will be ok.
The idea that media partners only care about football is crazy. They want CONTENT to show and sell advertising for. Basketball offers almost 4x as many games, and women play too so double that.

Reaction Score
If we get a basketball only invite from them, we should take it. It gets our foot in the door and would likely come with some scheduling agreement for football. If we continue the current trajectory of the program under Mora, then I can see them giving us a football invite sometime in the future. Also, being a member in basketball+the scheduling agreement would help us build a rapport with the Big 12 schools to the point where I think we would definitely have the upper hand over the ACC schools when the next cycle of realignment happens and the Big 12 thinks about expanding again.
That reeks of "He promised to divorce his wife and we'd be together finally." The way they feel about playing football with us is exactly how we feel about playing basketball with any of them excepting Kansas. They just used us as bait and lied to the school's athletic department. We are not the ones that need to bring goodwill to the negotiating table anymore.

Reaction Score

Or because there are already like 12 threads about this on the Conference realignment board about this all saying the same exact stuff?

Reaction Score
this just goes to show how devastating pasqualoni/diaco/edsall_2 eras were for this program. I never imagined our football brand being viewed THIS badly by the national stage when the time came, but looking again over the statistics during the years 2018, 2019 especially... gosh we were just an absolute joke. I do not mean offense by that, but i find no other way to describe it.

and as much as I wish the contrary, I understand the hesitation from B12 presidents and ADs to believe that a 6-7 program has really turned the corner from 6-32. There's a lot of money on the line. it hurts a lot, but i understand.

as a relatively new fan, i'm just catching up to the history. I'm sure the boneyard is fully aware, so not trying to pour salt on the wound, but just reflecting now, on just how damaging this was. what a fall from fiesta-bowl grace.

very... VERY... sad.
Believe the reality of how bad our football program has been for over 70 years. We may be heading in the right direction now, but that isn’t convincing to other conferences. A lot of yarders were wrongly thinking that by joining a P5 conference, that alone would make our program more competitive. That’s a false narrative. Read the article posted today by a writer. I tend to agree with it. MSN

Reaction Score
The idea that media partners only care about football is crazy. They want CONTENT to show and sell advertising for. Basketball offers almost 4x as many games, and women play too so double that.
Yes they want content, but value it at $0.20 on the dollar compared to football. I am shocked that you folks do not realize that.

Reaction Score
That reeks of "He promised to divorce his wife and we'd be together finally." The way they feel about playing football with us is exactly how we feel about playing basketball with any of them excepting Kansas. They just used us as bait and lied to the school's athletic department. We are not the ones that need to bring goodwill to the negotiating table anymore.
Agreed. Our basketball franchises are number 1 in the country. We don’t need to beg anyone for an invite.

Reaction Score
Rule #1 always wins out so I'm not shocked. What concerns me is what happens with Mora. He said that conference affiliation is going to matter and my hunch is that he was banking on us making it into the Big 12. I'm curious if that QB recruit from TX was told something similar.

I could easily see Mora leaving because we lack a conference and our small financial resources are limiting what he needs to do. We can't keep up at this spending pace.
Perhaps if Mora can produce a better than 6-7 record, we’d be more attractive to conferences. He came here knowing what he was in for.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Those of you who were with me at a near empty Rent over the last few years are nodding. Meanwhile, the South and Midwest set their clock to college football. Iowa State was 1-8 - dead last in the Big 12 and have average 57k over the last 5 years - near capacity.
How confident are you in that 57K?

D1Tracker shows UConn had a 50% uptick last year over 2021. Also that it's averaged 20K+ over the past five years. From your morose commentary, it sounds like that's about 400% off on the high side. 22K puts us in the Liberty/Marshall/Duke/UAB/JMU neighborhood. And I think most here agree we can do better with a good coach and a more competitive team. Even without annual name rivalries. By the numbers, UConn did better than Tulane and Tulsa.

The site also shows BC with average attendance of 35K last year. How many posts on here have noted nobody shows up for those?

So maybe that 57K is a bit off. Anyway, what else is there to do in Iowa?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Once again UConn has been used for leverage. Are there any conferences in Canada?
No. That's why Syracuse is in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Adding ASU and Utah will end up as being the dumbest move for the Big 12.

They didn't need redundancy in Utah and Arizona. Those were safe picks, established brands, but expanding eastward in my opinion would have opened up new media markets.

Yormark had a vision, he should have stuck to his guns. I'm sure the university presidents including Colorado and Arizona rallied for ASU and Utah, but in the end I don't think the Big 12 is better because of their additions.

If UConn ends up in another conference eventually, the Big 12 will look back and wonder what if?

Let's keep winning championships and support the football team.

ASU, Utah, really? UConn was low hanging fruit. SMH.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 take Pitt or Cuse? IIRC the Big 12 commissioner already visited Storrs and came away very impressed while he ignored Pitt or Cuse. It’s clear the Big 12 is more interested in UConn than a low level ACC team for a northeastern corridor/NYC market grab. Cuse or Pitt didn’t make a great hire in Mora, UConn did.
Rivalries(for UConn)

Reaction Score
If UConn ends up in another conference eventually, the Big 12 will look back and wonder what if?

As much as that scenario would feel good it’s very unlikely. ACC has shown no interest and the big 12 appears willing to add more. I think they feel they could take us whenever they want to and they probably aren’t wrong about that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom