Ariz State Curtain of Distraction | The Boneyard

Ariz State Curtain of Distraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wasn't familiar with it either. Perhaps rules should be in play though, for home team distraction practices. Some examples and issues:
  1. Distance from the court behind baskets.
  2. No flashing or nudity.
  3. No feigning serious injury or accidents.
  4. No screaming that would imply injury, accident, or terror.
  5. No faux gun of explosion noises.
  6. No laser or spot lights.
  7. Violations result in technical fouls.
Just to name a few possibilities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. To me there is a fine line between sportsmanship and poor sportsmanship. A lot of what I saw on this video smacks of poor sportsmanship.
I agree. But, ...neither you nor I are responsible for ticket sales and revenues. Also, sadly, I find that aging renders my opinions substantially less relevant than they once might have been. (My, how TV commercials have changed.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. To me there is a fine line between sportsmanship and poor sportsmanship. A lot of what I saw on this video smacks of poor sportsmanship.
Yep, you're an old fuddy duddy.

This is awesome and hilarious. And brilliant marketing. Well done by the students. Well done by the administration for allowing and supporting it.

UCONN had the Blue/White kid sans the curtain for a couple years there.

Reaction Score
Yep, you're an old fuddy duddy.

This is awesome and hilarious. And brilliant marketing. Well done by the students. Well done by the administration for allowing and supporting it.

UCONN had the Blue/White kid sans the curtain for a couple years there.

OK. From now on, I assume its ok if the band plays during opponents foul shots? How about when our opponent has the ball during a football game. Where do we draw the line?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm with you here, Padutch5. It's one thing to cheer for your team, and another to try and negatively affect an opponent. There is a line somewhere, between "your Momma wears Army boots", and some of the stuff said to, oh, Anne Strother or perhaps Charde Houston over the years. I'm not sure where this falls. I'd just as soon it go away after it's fifteen minutes of fame.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Students showing support for women's basketball, which averages 1,500 fans per game across Division I. Students being really into the game and cheering for their team, trying to will the team to victory. Clutch the pearls!

Wbbfan, the students who created the Curtain of Distraction (which has been at ASU men's games for a few years) said they were inspired by the Cameron Crazies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK. From now on, I assume its ok if the band plays during opponents foul shots?
Not really relevant. The band doesn't play at all during the actual game. People however do yell and cheer and such during the game. You'll have to try again you old fuddy duddy.

Where do we draw the line?
Right behind the Curtain of Distraction.

I take it you didn't approve of the Blue/White Kid either?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Which BoneYarders would be behind the curtain if it was used here?

Reaction Score
Can you imagine what the Cameron Crazies would come up with if Duke had a Curtain of Distraction
I'm guessing Geno would suggest they dress up as waiters balancing stupendous amounts of food/wine on wobbly trays!!!

Reaction Score
I'm with you here, Padutch5. It's one thing to cheer for your team, and another to try and negatively affect an opponent. There is a line somewhere, between "your Momma wears Army boots", and some of the stuff said to, oh, Anne Strother or perhaps Charde Houston over the years. I'm not sure where this falls. I'd just as soon it go away after it's fifteen minutes of fame.
I'm not convinced the Curtain of Distraction adds anything of value to the game. Except that perhaps we could set one up at Storrs for Gabby to practice free throws.:) Gabby is great!

Reaction Score
The AZ St coach (men's) said it added 2 pts a game. Helped their FT defense. And the students sure have fun with it. Seem like it adds lots of value.
Well, more accurately, it takes away 2pts from the opponent. But if teams begin to compete by trying to get students to do anything that will distract the opponent, that road leads to deterioration. The game could simply become silly.

Reaction Score
Man, I love playing a round of golf, but not sure I'd be able to play with some of these BY's, cuz talking, singing, and dancing during their tee shots or when they're addressing a putt just isn't something I'd be willing to do. :(

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think it's kind of "Bush" myself. It is very creative & funny but I think it dances on the edge of the sportmanship issue. I can remember many years ago when we played a game at La Tech when Joe D. was doing the radio games, they had a big billboard type thing near the end of the court near the basket. When OUR players were at the line they would have it flash like crazy as an obvious distraction. I remember Joe commenting on this at the time being of questionable ethics. Don't know if they still do it there. The problem with encouraging these "ramped up" types of home advantage is that it quickly seems to open the door to the kind of one-upmanship that can spiral to a bad place.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think it's kind of "Bush" myself. It is very creative & funny but I think it dances on the edge of the sportmanship issue. I can remember many years ago when we played a game at La Tech when Joe D. was doing the radio games, they had a big billboard type thing near the end of the court near the basket. When OUR players were at the line they would have it flash like crazy as an obvious distraction. I remember Joe commenting on this at the time being of questionable ethics. Don't know if they still do it there. The problem with encouraging these "ramped up" types of home advantage is that it quickly seems to open the door to the kind of one-upmanship that can spiral to a bad place.

PS : I did think the ESPN studio take on this was quite funny but I just wonder if the guys that do the studio talk on the men's side would have had the same sense of humor about it that Kara and Becca had.

P.S.S: I hope they never try this on a court that Taurasi is playing on. She will probably laugh while she's sinking the free throws and then the next time up the court "accidentally" throw a 90 MPH errant pass at one the ring leaders.

Reaction Score
Not really relevant. The band doesn't play at all during the actual game. People however do yell and cheer and such during the game. You'll have to try again you old fuddy duddy.

Right behind the Curtain of Distraction.

I take it you didn't approve of the Blue/White Kid either?

I guess I can assume you don't go to football games. The bands play at every time out.
Yes I love the Blue\White Kid (even though he is no longer a kid.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, more accurately, it takes away 2pts from the opponent.
Good point. My bad. I think that's what he actually said.

But if teams begin to compete by trying to get students to do anything that will distract the opponent, that road leads to deterioration.
Pretty sure they already do that.

Reaction Score
How long before the men's games feature pole dancers in Gstrings ?

Fans screaming from their seats is one thing, but this "curtain", as much as I find it both creative and hilarious, turns a game into a circus. All they need now at ASU is Vince McMahon screaming into a mike. If BB needs sideshows like this to be popular, BB is doomed as a spectator sport.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess I can assume you don't go to football games. The bands play at every time out.
Yes, that would be not during the game. i.e. not when the game is actually being played. :confused:

Yes I love the Blue\White Kid (even though he is no longer a kid.)
Sooo, why was it ok for him to do his thing during FTs, but not the CoD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom