Ariz State Curtain of Distraction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ariz State Curtain of Distraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
PS : I did think the ESPN studio take on this was quite funny but I just wonder if the guys that do the studio talk on the men's side would have had the same sense of humor about it that Kara and Becca had.
I saw them talking about it at some point (can't remember if it was during the tourney or maybe conference tourney?? It's been within the last few weeks though) . They thought it was pretty cool.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Man, I love playing a round of golf, but not sure I'd be able to play with some of these BY's, cuz talking, singing, and dancing during their tee shots or when they're addressing a putt just isn't something I'd be willing to do. :(
Golfers are really wussy about that. I think crowds should be able to yell and scream during their putts, tee shots. But I understand it's not really a "sport", more and activity, like bowling, darts, etc.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Students showing support for women's basketball, which averages 1,500 fans per game across Division I. Students being really into the game and cheering for their team, trying to will the team to victory. Clutch the pearls!

Wbbfan, the students who created the Curtain of Distraction (which has been at ASU men's games for a few years) said they were inspired by the Cameron Crazies.
I thought the only thing the Crazies inspired was eye rolling?!! ;)

Reaction Score
How long before the men's games feature pole dancers in Gstrings ?

Fans screaming from their seats is one thing, but this "curtain", as much as I find it both creative and hilarious, turns a game into a circus. All they need now at ASU is Vince McMahon screaming into a mike. If BB needs sideshows like this to be popular, BB is doomed as a spectator sport.
I agree. Some strict limits must be set, or the imaginations of teenage students will lead to chaos.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I saw them talking about it at some point (can't remember if it was during the tourney or maybe conference tourney?? It's been within the last few weeks though) . They thought it was pretty cool.

I'm saying if the ESPN studio staff ambushed them with their version of the "Curtain Of Distration" like they did to Kara & Rebbecca. Would they have thought THAT was as funny. Maybe. Maybe not.

Reaction Score
Let's hope the day never comes when winning the NC depends on which team has the best Curtain of Distraction.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I've always gotten a charge out the required etiquette golfers require to concentrate when no such restraint is present in other sports. What's so different about golf that requires more concentration that hitting a free throw or a 100 MPH fastball? In Other sports fans can scream at the top of their lungs and no problem. It's up to the athlete to block it out. But golf will throw you OUT for making noise with players are concentrating.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't Help Herb Sendek Ariz State's Men's BB Coach. He was fired today :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't Help Herb Sendek Ariz State's Men's BB Coach. He was fired today :)
Beat the Cats and still didn't get to keep his job??? When beating ASwho has provided job security to folks down here? Oh, the horror!!

Reaction Score
I've seen it in person and it's a riot. It's really nothing more than an extension of the groups of students who stand up and wave things to distract the shooter. Maybe we should just play games with players unable to see of hear fans, to ensure they are not affected. Otherwise, how are you going to say that these kids crossed some line that you've drawn..um...in your mind?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I've seen it in person and it's a riot. It's really nothing more than an extension of the groups of students who stand up and wave things to distract the shooter. Maybe we should just play games with players unable to see of hear fans, to ensure they are not affected. Otherwise, how are you going to say that these kids crossed some line that you've drawn..um...in your mind?

For that matter you could say when the refs make "judgement calls" on certain things it's from a conclusion they're drawn in their mind. The crossing of the line is in the eye of the beholder. Many will have to agree to disagree on this. Perhaps these distraction tactics will evolve into a "jackass" type stunt performance and then something will have to be done. Once somebody sets the bar it has to be set higher. It never fails. I'd rather just see the game won by the players on the court without giving the fans too much leeway into thinking they have control over the outcome. Cheering and yelling has worked pretty well up until now.

Reaction Score
Yes, that would be not during the game. i.e. not when the game is actually being played. :confused:

Sooo, why was it ok for him to do his thing during FTs, but not the CoD?

Why not while the game is being played??? If we are going to completly abandon civility, let the bands play on whenever they want. Not sure I see the difference from this idiocy at AZ State..
My prayer is that UCONN never needs to stoop to this level for women's BB.

Reaction Score
It is cheap and lacks class and sportsmanship. It is also brilliant and has brought them more attention in one week than their basketball results have in years. I wouldn't do it as a fan. I wouldn't let my school do it as a coach, but I wouldn't be mad if my opponents did such a thing. Hit your freebies and it will go away.

Reaction Score
I've always gotten a charge out the required etiquette golfers require to concentrate when no such restraint is present in other sports. What's so different about golf that requires more concentration that hitting a free throw or a 100 MPH fastball? In Other sports fans can scream at the top of their lungs and no problem. It's up to the athlete to block it out. But golf will throw you OUT for making noise with players are concentrating.

I think it stems from the fact that 99+% of golf is played without spectators. You don't hear screaming taunts at bowling, archery, riflery contests or pool tournaments, all games without spectators under normal conditions. At tennis matches there's always some balloon knot who has to have the last shout before a serve, but the server usually has quiet. The shouting during play is more prevalent during continuous-play sports.

A good part of the pleasure of golf comes from having the sounds of birds chirping and the breeze blowing through trees as you travel around the course. And believe me, you may not hear them from the sidelines, but golfers have voices talking to them during every shot, it's just that they are all self-generated. LOL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no problem with antics in the stands, and the curtain could certainly be set up in the stands and be about as effective, but ...
This is being set up on the floor of the arena in an area that requires school authorization and therefore becomes a specially sanctioned activity. At that point I believe it crosses the line and is the equivalent of having the cheerleaders or dance team performing during free throws - and simulating any type of lewd, comic, or crude activity. I would be against that happening, but if this is permissible, how soon before some teams cheerleaders get into the act.
And I would also suspect there is some safety issues as well - players often leave the court at speed and out of control - all it takes is one athlete (or participant) to be seriously injured for this to go from 'comic' to tragic.

On distractions in other sports - baseball players insisted that ball parks set up neutral backdrops behind pitchers and pitchers are required to remove or cover up bling, so there are other situation where rules are imposed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm saying if the ESPN studio staff ambushed them with their version of the "Curtain Of Distration" like they did to Kara & Rebbecca. Would they have thought THAT was as funny. Maybe. Maybe not.
Oh that. hmmmm, not sure. Can't remember if they talked about that or not. Be fun to see though. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why not while the game is being played??? If we are going to completly abandon civility, let the bands play on whenever they want. Not sure I see the difference from this idiocy at AZ State..
I get you don't get it. But students yell and scream all the time during the game and during FTs. Jump up and down, wave things. The CoD is just an extension of that. It has nothing to do with bands playing.

My prayer is that UCONN never needs to stoop to this level for women's BB.
Again, they pretty much already have. The Blue/White Kid did pretty much the same thing, except without the curtain.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no problem with antics in the stands, and the curtain could certainly be set up in the stands and be about as effective, but ...
This is being set up on the floor of the arena in an area that requires school authorization and therefore becomes a specially sanctioned activity. At that point I believe it crosses the line and is the equivalent of having the cheerleaders or dance team performing during free throws - and simulating any type of lewd, comic, or crude activity. I would be against that happening, but if this is permissible, how soon before some teams cheerleaders get into the act.
And I would also suspect there is some safety issues as well - players often leave the court at speed and out of control - all it takes is one athlete (or participant) to be seriously injured for this to go from 'comic' to tragic.
It's not really that close to the playing floor. You'd have to crash through photographers and such to get there.

On distractions in other sports - baseball players insisted that ball parks set up neutral backdrops behind pitchers and pitchers are required to remove or cover up bling, so there are other situation where rules are imposed.
Baseball is a bit different. Having someone throw a baseball 100mph at you is not the same as shooting FT's or hitting a stationary golf ball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The AZ St coach (men's) said it added 2 pts a game. Helped their FT defense. And the students sure have fun with it. Seem like it adds lots of value.
'
Too bad that it didnt add 12 points a game...... now he is looking for a job.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I sit behind the opponent's second half basket at our men's games, but on the side court for women's games. I have used various contraptions to distract free throw shooters through the years. My current method is the use of Mickey Mouse hands. If you watch the USC/UNC game in Greensboro on Friday and the USC/FSU or ASU game on Sunday, you'll see them since I got seats behind the basket.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I sit behind the opponent's second half basket at our men's games, but on the side court for women's games. I have used various contraptions to distract free throw shooters through the years. My current method is the use of Mickey Mouse hands. If you watch the USC/UNC game in Greensboro on Friday and the USC/FSU or ASU game on Sunday, you'll see them since I got seats behind the basket.

What if Big Carolina wins friday? Will you still be behind the basket on Sunday ? ;)

Reaction Score
How long before the men's games feature pole dancers in Gstrings ?

Fans screaming from their seats is one thing, but this "curtain", as much as I find it both creative and hilarious, turns a game into a circus. All they need now at ASU is Vince McMahon screaming into a mike. If BB needs sideshows like this to be popular, BB is doomed as a spectator sport.

Right on Alydar. It demeans and cheapens the efforts of the principals. It's a distraction to the quality and purity of the game. Bunch of low life clowns and slobs trying to get TV time. No way, this has to be stopped in it's infancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom