Arike Ogunbowale set to commit; it's ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arike Ogunbowale set to commit; it's ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With the verbal by Arike to ND, it appears it will be UConn & ND competing for National Championships for the next few years. Guess we have to include the Lady Vols starting next year since they add Diamond and Te'a.

Reaction Score
It looks like they will have several point guards; Allen, Johnson, Patberg, and Arike.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It looks like they will have several point guards; Allen, Johnson, Patberg, and Arike.
Arike is definitely NOT a PG. And taller PGs can play either guard position, but SGs cannot necessarily handle the point. Just like in high school football where the best athlete is often tabbed to play QB, the best guard is oftentimes anointed the PG, even if their best college position is SG.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Johnson, Patberg, and Ogunbowale are all described as combo guards.

In an interview Johnson said, "I’ll probably play more of the 2, but also help out at the 1. Mostly the 2, though, I would say."

My guess is that Arike will also play more 2-guard while Patberg will mostly play PG. Which makes that foursome an even 2-2 split.

Reaction Score
Arike is definitely NOT a PG. And taller PGs can play either guard position, but SGs cannot necessarily handle the point. Just like in high school football where the best athlete is often tabbed to play QB, the best guard is oftentimes anointed the PG, even if their best college position is SG.

This is the first place anyone has said Arike is not a point guard. I have seen videos of her, and she looks like one to me.

Sure, point guards can play multiple positions, and improve the ball handling options. However, I think you will see Arike O at PG at ND.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Look for Muffet to play some 3-guard options. Plus Reimer and Turner.

Reaction Score
I'm a card-carrying charter member of the hate ND club. Having said that, if one is a fan of UConn Women's basketball, one ought to be a fan of the women's game in general. Too many programs continue to play to empty arenas. More parity would certainly be good for the game, and, especially, more major and heated and intense rivalries can only attract broader fan interest. One must respect Muffett on many levels. She's obviously both a great coach and a great recruiter, probably second best in the country on both counts. The more intense the rivalry, the more intense the hate....and the more fun it all is. Great pickup for ND. Now I can hate 'em even more!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
This is the first place anyone has said Arike is not a point guard. I have seen videos of her, and she looks like one to me.

Sure, point guards can play multiple positions, and improve the ball handling options. However, I think you will see Arike O at PG at ND.
The only place I have seen her listed as a PG is Hoopgurlz. She is called an off guard (G) on Prospects Nation, a G on Blue Star, and a SG on ASGR. On all these sites, point guards are designated PG, not G. She never played the point on the National team either.

Reaction Score
I alays look back 3 or 4 years se what they did..............ND a grt school and Muffet is an excellent coach that loves to beat UCONN. Now the shoe has been turned 2 seasons in the biggest games..............Can't wait for Dec 6t in SB.................ND has been staying they lost because of injuries last year.............Lets see what happens..........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Chong and Edwards are not pgs
Actually Edwards is. And all the new guards for UCONN can play the 1. Chong did at times last year. I'm betting most of ND's guards are capable of playing the 1 or the 2 as well... Some may be better at it than others, but unless you are a player like Jefferson or Dangerfield, I'm not sure there are too many "pure" 1's out there...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chong and Edwards are not pgs
Actually Edwards is. And all the new guards for UCONN can play the 1. Chong did at times last year. I'm betting most of ND's guards are capable of playing the 1 or the 2 as well... Some may be better at it than others, but unless you are a player like Jefferson or Dangerfield, I'm not sure there are too many "pure" 1's out there...
Agreed. Chong and Edwards are much more 1's than 2's. Although I think both can and will/do play the 2.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's recruiting efforts have really picked up. McGraw is also one of the best coaches in the nation at developing talent. Since 2009 here are the recruits ranked in the top 50 she's brought in:
2009-Skylar Diggins, #3 recruit (3x All American)
2010-Kayla McBride, #20 recruit (2x All American)
2012-Michaela Mabrey, #26 recruit
2012-Jewell Loyd, #4 recruit (All American)
2013 Taya Reimer, #4 recruit
2013-Lindsey Allen, #25 recruit
2013-Kristina Nelson, #39 recruit

Muffett does a fantastic job of developing talent, all of the players listed have lived up to/exceeded expectations with the exception of Reimer and Nelson who have only played limited minutes in their one season. Now that McGraw is going to have a cupboard loaded with top recruits, I could see Notre Dame being a huge threat for championships down the road (even more than they are now.) Look at how stacked their rosters are for 2015-16 and 2016-17

2015-16
C-Taya Reimer, Jr (2013 top 5 recruit)
F-Brianna Turner, So (2014 top 2 recruit)
F-Jewel Loyd, Sr (2014 2nd Team All American)
G-Michaela Mabrey, Sr (8.6 ppg as a sophomore)
G-Lindsey Allen-Jr (2014-15 Preseason All ACC)
Bench:
Ali Patberg-Fr (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Arike Ogunbowale-Fr (2015 Top 10 Recruit)
Marina Mabrey-Fr (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Kathryn Westbeld-So (2014 Top 25 recruit)
Diamond Thompson-Jr
Hannah Huffman-Sr
Kristina Nelson-Jr
Mychal Johnson-So

2016-17:
C-Taya Reimer, Sr (2013 top 5 recruit)
F-Brianna Turner, Jr (2014 top 2 recruit)
F-Kathryn Westbeld-Jr (2014 Top 25 recruit)
G-Arike Ogunbowale-So (2015 Top 10 Recruit)
G-Lindsey Allen-Sr (2014-15 Preseason All ACC)
Bench:
Ali Patberg-So (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Marina Mabrey-So (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Erin Boley-Fr (2016 Top 10 Recruit)
Jackie Young-Fr (2016 Top 20 Recruit)
Diamond Thompson-Sr
Kristina Nelson-Sr
Mychal Johnson-Jr

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I alays look back 3 or 4 years se what they did....ND a grt school and Muffet is an excellent coach that loves to beat UCONN. Now the shoe has been turned 2 seasons in the biggest games....Can't wait for Dec 6t in SB.......ND has been staying they lost because of injuries last year...Lets see what happens.....
When has Notre Dame said they lost because of injuries? I haven't seen one ND fan ever make such a claim. There have been a few UConn fans on this board that claimed that ND would have had a better chance if they were at full strength, but I hardly think that is a contentious claim.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
A lot of ink on this Board for someone who announced months ago that she wasn't interested in coming to Connecticut. What difference does it make where she goes? As former tOSU Football Player Matt Wilhem told a recruit on a visit, "come here and play for us or go somewhere else and get beat by us."

Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A lot of ink on this Board for someone who announced months ago that she wasn't interested in coming to Connecticut. What difference does it make where she goes? As former tOSU Football Player Matt Wilhem told a recruit on a visit, "come here and play for us or go somewhere else and get beat by us."
Not to sound terribly preachy, but it makes a difference for several reasons.

First, while this is foremost a UCONN basketball board, it's also a WCBB board. Second, we have many visitors to our board from various schools and at times (see Duke), we get scoop before they do! Third, ND is a terrific team who is probably the 2nd best team in the nation at the moment and most likely UCONN's biggest threat for a 3-peat. Fourth, ND is setting themselves up to be UCONN's main competition for a long time. Fifth, ND has beaten UCONN a lot in the last 5-6 years so it's logical we would be interested in what they do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom