Arike Ogunbowale set to commit; it's ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arike Ogunbowale set to commit; it's ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's recruiting efforts have really picked up. McGraw is also one of the best coaches in the nation at developing talent. Since 2009 here are the recruits ranked in the top 50 she's brought in:
2009-Skylar Diggins, #3 recruit (3x All American)
2010-Kayla McBride, #20 recruit (2x All American)
2012-Michaela Mabrey, #26 recruit
2012-Jewell Loyd, #4 recruit (All American)
2013 Taya Reimer, #4 recruit
2013-Lindsey Allen, #25 recruit
2013-Kristina Nelson, #39 recruit

Interesting synopsis, Bballnut90. Thank you for posting. I believe that Notre Dame's increased recruiting of talent has quite a bit to do with Niele Ivey. She is the recruiting coordinator that was so effective in getting Skylar to commit, and Niele / Muffett have been on a recruiting roll ever since. I keep hoping and praying that Niele will get a job elsewhere. I was a fan of her when I lived in Scottsdale and she played for the Mercury, but PLEASE let a mid major hire away the talented Ms. Ivey. Fingers crossed!

HGN

Reaction Score
Arike's commitment to the Irish has been expected. Not a real surprise I don't think......As far as future competition goes for UConn I would rather Arike to have signed with ND than Durr. Durr can be a real game changer. ND has stockpiled some horses in its stable. Durr is a stallion. As good as Arike is she is no Durr. Currently , the UConn backcourt can handle whatever ND can throw at them.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's recruiting efforts have really picked up. McGraw is also one of the best coaches in the nation at developing talent. Since 2009 here are the recruits ranked in the top 50 she's brought in:
2009-Skylar Diggins, #3 recruit (3x All American)
2010-Kayla McBride, #20 recruit (2x All American)
2012-Michaela Mabrey, #26 recruit
2012-Jewell Loyd, #4 recruit (All American)
2013 Taya Reimer, #4 recruit
2013-Lindsey Allen, #25 recruit
2013-Kristina Nelson, #39 recruit

Muffett does a fantastic job of developing talent, all of the players listed have lived up to/exceeded expectations with the exception of Reimer and Nelson who have only played limited minutes in their one season. Now that McGraw is going to have a cupboard loaded with top recruits, I could see Notre Dame being a huge threat for championships down the road (even more than they are now.) Look at how stacked their rosters are for 2015-16 and 2016-17

2015-16
C-Taya Reimer, Jr (2013 top 5 recruit)
F-Brianna Turner, So (2014 top 2 recruit)
F-Jewel Loyd, Sr (2014 2nd Team All American)
G-Michaela Mabrey, Sr (8.6 ppg as a sophomore)
G-Lindsey Allen-Jr (2014-15 Preseason All ACC)
Bench:
Ali Patberg-Fr (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Arike Ogunbowale-Fr (2015 Top 10 Recruit)
Marina Mabrey-Fr (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Kathryn Westbeld-So (2014 Top 25 recruit)
Diamond Thompson-Jr
Hannah Huffman-Sr
Kristina Nelson-Jr
Mychal Johnson-So

2016-17:
C-Taya Reimer, Sr (2013 top 5 recruit)
F-Brianna Turner, Jr (2014 top 2 recruit)
F-Kathryn Westbeld-Jr (2014 Top 25 recruit)
G-Arike Ogunbowale-So (2015 Top 10 Recruit)
G-Lindsey Allen-Sr (2014-15 Preseason All ACC)
Bench:
Ali Patberg-So (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Marina Mabrey-So (2015 Top 25 recruit)
Erin Boley-Fr (2016 Top 10 Recruit)
Jackie Young-Fr (2016 Top 20 Recruit)
Diamond Thompson-Sr
Kristina Nelson-Sr
Mychal Johnson-Jr

Next college season 2015-2016 there are going to be 4 GIANTS. UCONN,ND, VOLS and USC.

I'm in the "I hate ND fan club." But with how they are recruiting - There's a good chance over the next 3-4 years we play them as much as 6-8 times. In the NBA and in wcbb and other sports it is tough to sweep- especially against a quality opponent-- we've seen it over and over. It's too bad we haveto play the arrogant classless college - but it looks like we're going to see them a lot in the NCAA's and just by the laws of averages - we're going to be in trouble a few times. At least for the time being it's nice to know "we have Stewie and they don't."

I'm not a fan of USC in term of they remind of the old UCONN teams's of Cory Thompson, Chuck Aleksinas and at the wing Mike McKay. Of course they are more talented andoveral better in a relative way, - but I think their success is going to have to come from their super-frosh and how much she progresses. I'm just not a fan of their backcourt - thus one game you play against a "lousiville" they can upset this type of team.

And I think Diamond D is super fanatstic and they have a player out this year- will return next - DD makes them a fromidable GIANT but just like a lot of peope I have to question "their organization" as to how they play. That would have been one thing you would never question when you-know-who was the coach.

I just get the feeling that whether it be ff or finals we're going to see ND an awful lot. Law of averages they are going to pick us off if they face us that often. So be it. As long as we can beat them more - and win more titles- then that's darn good and gratifying. Hopefully we can get another challenger - I hope we can beat them down enough where these last few years wind up being ND's "glory" recruiting years and they go back to the pack and we could meet another more classy respectful foe.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looking at the Hoopzgurlz rankings... 10 of the top 15 guards listed are ACC Verbals... 3 each to ND and Duke... and 2 to Louisville and UNC. Should make for some interesting backcourt battles over the next few years.

Interesting synopsis, Bballnut90. Thank you for posting. I believe that Notre Dame's increased recruiting of talent has quite a bit to do with Niele Ivey. She is the recruiting coordinator that was so effective in getting Skylar to commit, and Niele / Muffett have been on a recruiting roll ever since. I keep hoping and praying that Niele will get a job elsewhere. I was a fan of her when I lived in Scottsdale and she played for the Mercury, but PLEASE let a mid major hire away the talented Ms. Ivey. Fingers crossed!

Heck... if Ms Ivey were recruiting me..... I'd commit as well :D

Reaction Score
U

UCONNfan1

Arike's commitment to the Irish has been expected. Not a real surprise I don't think.As far as future competition goes for UConn I would rather Arike to have signed with ND than Durr. Durr can be a real game changer. ND has stockpiled some horses in its stable. Durr is a stallion. As good as Arike is she is no Durr. Currently , the UConn backcourt can handle whatever ND can throw at them.

JMHO.
Not for nuthin' but UCONN'S backcourt can handle Durr too...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Looking at the Hoopzgurlz rankings... 10 of the top 15 guards listed are ACC Verbals... 3 each to ND and Duke... and 2 to Louisville and UNC. Should make for some interesting backcourt battles over the next few years.

Me thinks you might need to be committed, with or without Niele's involvement! :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Arike's commitment to the Irish has been expected. Not a real surprise I don't think.As far as future competition goes for UConn I would rather Arike to have signed with ND than Durr. Durr can be a real game changer. ND has stockpiled some horses in its stable. Durr is a stallion. As good as Arike is she is no Durr. Currently , the UConn backcourt can handle whatever ND can throw at them.

JMHO.

Not for nuthin' but UCONN'S backcourt can handle Durr too...

But how do we know this.... considering most of the members of these backcourts havent played one minute of college ball ?

Me thinks you might need to be committed, with or without Niele's involvement! :rolleyes:

There are a few others who share your thought :oops:

Reaction Score

There's only one thing that matters: titles. Even the crappy AAC won more titles than the vaunted ACC last year. Academically, the ACC is a 4-alarm dumpster fire right now. WCBB-wise, the only question is whether those teams will lose by 30 or 50 to UConn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There's only one thing that matters: titles. Even the crappy AAC won more titles than the vaunted ACC last year.

Actually they didnt. The ACC won titles in Football, Men's and Women Lacrosse and Men's Soccer. The AAC won titles in Mens and women's basketball, and field hockey...

Academically, the ACC is a 4-alarm dumpster fire right now. WCBB-wise, the only question is whether those teams will lose by 30 or 50 to UConn.

Sure UNC makes the ACC look bad.... but to say that the whole league is an academic dumpster fire is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. Who knows if UCONN will destroy everyone by 30-50 points in the years beyond 2015 .... but if that scenario indeed plays out....... then the overall national interest in WCBB will probably drop to 1970s levels.

Reaction Score
Academically, the ACC is a 4-alarm dumpster fire right now. WCBB-wise, the only question is whether those teams will lose by 30 or 50 to UConn.

As members of a conference that includes Memphis, East Carolina, and Houston, we as UConn fans are in no position to cast academic stones at any other conference.

HGN

Reaction Score
But how do we know this.... considering most of the members of these backcourts havent played one minute of college ball ?
Triad, we know this because we are keen evaluators of basketball talent.:rolleyes: We know who should be recruited and who should not. We may miss on an eval every blue moon. But like a blue moon it's rare. :)

There are a few others who share your thought :oops:

Reaction Score

JMHO.
Agreed. Durr with Muffet's coaching could be scary good. She'll be very good at Louisville though. She's a better scorer than Arike, and like we've seen at the championship game against Spain, can totally takeover the game on the offensive end. Basketball is a guard's game, and I think a Loyd/Durr combo (for 1 year) + Turner might have made UConn winning the 2016 championship much more difficult, and they would've been the favorites the year after Mo and Stewie graduates.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Not to sound terribly preachy, but it makes a difference for several reasons.

First, while this is foremost a UCONN basketball board, it's also a WCBB board. Second, we have many visitors to our board from various schools and at times (see Duke), we get scoop before they do! Third, ND is a terrific team who is probably the 2nd best team in the nation at the moment and most likely UCONN's biggest threat for a 3-peat. Fourth, ND is setting themselves up to be UCONN's main competition for a long time. Fifth, ND has beaten UCONN a lot in the last 5-6 years so it's logical we would be interested in what they do...
Whenever someone prefaces a statement with, "not to sound preachy," that inevitably means they're being 'preachy'!! But if you say so!!

Reaction Score
I notice a little arrogance creeping in on some of our posts. It's nice to have confidence in our team but since no one has played a game yet, let's wait and see what we have and what everyone else has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom