April Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t see any uncommitted recruits who could even potentially change the competitive balance for us out there besides maybe Mikaylah Williams. Some who could don’t fit the profile.
With all due respect :)eek:not really) we are trying to keep the recruiting thread a place where we can inform adults. Fell free to tap out of this thread. There are plenty of uncommitted 2023 recruits (besides Mikayla Williams that can change the competitive balance for UCONN or any top 10 WCBB team. There is also this thing called the transfer portal which could also easily shake up the top 25 of WCBB. There are also at least two 2022 decommitted players that could do the same. I'll try one last time, Betts is not a UCONN recruit.

Reaction Score
Confirmed ACL injury cost her a PA state championship run. She is still holding a UCONN offer. Last visit was to UNC(?) and there might be other schools in the mix.
ACL surgery in mid-March might mean she is back in time for her senior HS season in November & just in time for her commit to UCONN during the early signing period.
If she were to commit early would the school be able to be part of the recovery and rehab process or would they still have to stay out of that?

Reaction Score
I think I’ve is a legit 6’ 3” and she will help but she’s not going to even slow Boston down.
Yes she will because she can shoot and bang. Boston can’t hang out in the paint if I’ve is in there. She’s exactly what we need, her and a rough rebounding big from the portal. Dorka definitely isn’t enough but Edwards is a piece willing to engage, I like her.

HHH

Hartford Hall Husky
Reaction Score
The only mention in local media is that she has a knee injury that will keep her out of early AAU play. However, her mom posted a tweet to Ciera saying she has her back and referring to a comeback, so I think it's a significant injury.

On 3/16 she posted this pic to her Instagram...looks like a torn ACL and MCL....

ToomeyACL.jpg

However on 4/3 she retweeted a pic of Aliyah Boston after winning the NC...so perhaps Dawn is casting her magic spell over yet another quality big....

Reaction Score
it's not like Geno hasn't tried to recruit the top post players...........they simply haven't chosen UConn........players of Boston's quality don't come by very often as evidenced by the dearth of quality posts in the next two recruiting classes (one in each).............I'll take a skilled, athletic 6'2"-6'3" player over an average big bodied post any day...
Fair point, Charliebball. But SC's edge, though largely defined by Boston, isn't limited to exclusively her.

Dawn doesn't add "average big bodied post(s)" but rather super-athletic, rugged ones (Saxton, Amihere, (Brazilian Syracuse transfer), Ashlyn Watkins, etc). And this isn't limited to SC bigs: Brea Beal, Zia Cooke, Destini Henderson, Saniya Rivers, Bree Hall, Raven Johnson, Talaysia Cooper-- all great athletes. And with exception of Cooke & Henderson-- both of whom are lightning fast-- all are long for their positions.

And once you lose a generational recruit like Boston to your archival, you have to take measures to combat that player in future recruiting, not unlike what we see in pro sports all the time among contenders.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she were to commit early would the school be able to be part of the recovery and rehab process or would they still have to stay out of that?
She cannot commit until November of 2022. Once she is committed the school can be part of her medical treatment and recovery. The UCONN team doctor performed Caroline Doty's knee surgery while she was still in HS and UCONN trainers were a part of her rehab.

Reaction Score
Fair point, Charliebball. But SC's edge, though largely defined by Boston, isn't limited to exclusively her.

Dawn doesn't add "average big bodied post(s)" but rather super-athletic, rugged ones (Saxton, Amihere, (Brazilian Syracuse transfer), Ashlyn Watkins, etc). And this isn't limited to SC bigs: Brea Beal, Zia Cooke, Destini Henderson, Saniya Rivers, Bree Hall, Raven Johnson, Talaysia Cooper-- all great athletes. And with exception of Cooke & Henderson-- both of whom are lightning fast-- all are long for their positions.

And once you lose a generational recruit like Boston to your archival, you have to take measures to combat that player in future recruiting, not unlike what we see in pro sports all the time among contenders.
I believe UConn had interest in Amihere too but she ended up at South Carolina........like I said you can't force players to choose your program if they want to go somewhere else.......now if Geno hadn't gone after Boston or Amihere there would be reason to criticize but that's not the case.......you've got two big posts, Cunningham in the '23 class and Thomas in the '24 class.........I assume UConn is recruiting both of them but where they land nobody knows......UConn's two incoming freshman are pretty big and athletic so I assume you think Geno has gotten that right

Reaction Score
I believe UConn had interest in Amihere too but she ended up at South Carolina........like I said you can't force players to choose your program if they want to go somewhere else.......now if Geno hadn't gone after Boston or Amihere there would be reason to criticize but that's not the case.......you've got two big posts, Cunningham in the '23 class and Thomas in the '24 class.........I assume UConn is recruiting both of them but where they land nobody knows......UConn's two incoming freshman are pretty big and athletic so I assume you think Geno has gotten that right
UConn was in her top 5 when she was a junior. Can't remember if she posted a top 3.

Reaction Score
With all due respect :)eek:not really) we are trying to keep the recruiting thread a place where we can inform adults. Fell free to tap out of this thread. There are plenty of uncommitted 2023 recruits (besides Mikayla Williams that can change the competitive balance for UCONN or any top 10 WCBB team. There is also this thing called the transfer portal which could also easily shake up the top 25 of WCBB. There are also at least two 2022 decommitted players that could do the same. I'll try one last time, Betts is not a UCONN recruit.
OMG, you brought up the word Betts again. Half the forum is now on their way to psychological counseling from the trauma. The pain is excruciating!

With all due respect (really) there are lots of recruits who could make a difference on the edges but I see none besides maybe Makaylah who could make us favored to win the NC.

Reaction Score
Janiah Barker could be but she isn’t happening. Blackwell could but she’s not happening. Many could help but no one overcomes SC unless there are injuries and they probably add at least one great portal transfer or Barker herself. I could see Angel Reese joining them as well. I don’t think we start next year projected to win.

Reaction Score
Not just the size of SC players, and not just their speed or athleticism, but it seems they have a philosophy of multiple players going after rebounds, especially offensive boards. Dawne must teach that over & over. In contrast, a lot of our players seem to be away from basket and not crashing the boards if a teammate shoots.

Reaction Score
Janiah Barker could be but she isn’t happening. Blackwell could but she’s not happening. Many could help but no one overcomes SC unless there are injuries and they probably add at least one great portal transfer or Barker herself. I could see Angel Reese joining them as well. I don’t think we start next year projected to win.
I’d be shocked. Angel Reese doesn’t strike me as the player to choose a team where she’d be 3rd or 4th in rotation. With Saxton leaving, Amihere or Cardoso starts with the other still coming off the bench.

My prediction for Angel is NC State or Texas (still not holding out hope that she comes to here, haha).

Reaction Score
Any updates on 2024 post prospect Kate Koval?

She appears to be intriguing as a UConn-caliber big with sufficient size, strength, & skill to be a difference maker in paint against elite rivals like SC, Stanford, etc.

Reaction Score
WRT South Carolina matchup discussion moving forward vis-a-vis portal/recruiting, I feel better having just watched Geno's NC postgame scrum (not the official NCAA presser):

Reaction Score
Agree in principle but:
1) Edwards, while 6'3, is still a little short compared to Boston, Cunane, Brink etc. She is developing her defensive skills and I think will be better yet. She is our most physical big easily, I don't think it is that she isn't getting it done, it's more like it isn't getting done if she is the only one banging.
2) While true that people who were injured or missing definitely handicapped us, we got killed on the boards because SC emphasized everyone working to get both offensive and defensive rebounds. In contrast, with UConn putting 3/5 to 4/5 of the team on the perimeter, then these players likely won't be in the mix for rebounds or loose balls. All SC had to do was block out one player usually. SC bet they could cover any resulting fast breaks by UConn even with crashing the boards because their guards are very quick.
3) Dorka is a good rebounding center/forward. She will benefit from another year of practice and play with the team. I hope she learns how to make lay-ups and improves on her FT percentage.
4) Geno really needs team to practice how to box out, how to always stay between opponent and basket, putting the body against the opponent and pushing them back. Just didn't happen. Boxing out needs to be done not only to the person shooting but also to teammates. Too many times we just didn't box out.
5) I'm hoping Amari will become a good big. She seems to want to stay outside, but she is tallest person on squad, I believe, and there is no reason why she can't become a good big down low.
+++ A big reason SC got those 1st half rebounds.

Reaction Score
What's with the " we" in all your posts ? Are you part of or connected to the UConn program in some fashion ?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Local media finally mentions Ciera Toomey's injury:

As a freshman in the Dunmore Lady Bucks starting five, Sophia Talutto made her mark as the season progressed.

But she really stepped up her game when all-state junior center Ciera Toomey went down with a torn ACL in the Lady Bucks district title win over Scranton Prep, 43-42, Thursday, March 3, at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Reaction Score
I believe that Brady is a legit 6-3, she was nose to nose height wise to Barker at the McD's AA game. And Patterson is maybe just under that but her hair adds a couple inches. In terms of post play, they both COULD play it but I think Patterson could be more useful as more of a wing. She's very quick, mobile, and athletic but will need to learn a lot about playing in the open floor, passing and getting her shot since she was mostly stuck inside with her back to the hoop because of playing with a small HS team. Brady OTOH can give a tutorial on post footwork, angles, passing, and using both hands for shots. Where she needs work is conditioning, quickness, and learning to play faster. Not necessarily up and down the court faster, although that would be nice, but just her reaction time to the faster college pace of the game. But I do believe that she is perfect for the offensive position that ONO played this year. She will not pass up those 17 footers out to the 3 ball line.
I believe Dorka, Brady and Patterson will solve much of the "need an inside offense" conversation. For much of the last third of the year, we did get inside shots as a result of our motion offense. Unfortunately, ONO in particular was somewhat deliberate in her shots, often getting blocked by smaller players, AE had several games where she traveled, and the 2022 Paige was a bit slower. Paige is will be amped up next year, Brady and Patterson are fearless in approaching layups and Dorka is becoming more of a fluid scorer. I didn't mention DeBerry but she could be a wild card. I would maximize what we have today versus try to integrate a new big into a complex system.

Reaction Score
I believe Dorka, Brady and Patterson will solve much of the "need an inside offense" conversation. For much of the last third of the year, we did get inside shots as a result of our motion offense. Unfortunately, ONO in particular was somewhat deliberate in her shots, often getting blocked by smaller players, AE had several games where she traveled, and the 2022 Paige was a bit slower. Paige is will be amped up next year, Brady and Patterson are fearless in approaching layups and Dorka is becoming more of a fluid scorer. I didn't mention DeBerry but she could be a wild card. I would maximize what we have today versus try to integrate a new big into a complex system.
You appear to give to incoming freshmen more credit than A sophomore and a junior that have been with the program. I would wait and see just how quickly they pick up the system and it’s easy to be fearless in high school when you’re the biggest people on the court. I believe a experienced grad student big would be incredibly helpful. Just being familiar with the physicality and speed of the game would give that player a leg up. And one year would not hurt the others development and adjustment to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom