April Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But it doesn't have to be "a highlight." It wasn’t "A highlight" leading up to the Finals - so one team with extreme size while UCONN is banged up and we need to scrap everything that has happened over the past many years?

By the way, on another thread AGStatesman is saying we need a better defender in the low post more than anything.

Maybe a step back by fans is needed and realize we were banged up lost to a better team and did get to the Finals.
Somehow you got scrapping our offense from my comment. I Said no such thing. Using the post by no means says scrap the perimeter orientated offense. However attracting top post players will be difficult to get if we can't showcase them within our perimeter orientated offense.

We have good defensive post players. Your bigs are only as strong as your defensive perimeter players just take a look at South Carolina's perimeter defenders.

Reaction Score
Somehow you got scrapping our offense from my comment. I Said no such thing. Using the post by no means says scrap the perimeter orientated offense. However attracting top post players will be difficult to get if we can't showcase them within our perimeter orientated offense.

We have good defensive post players. Your bigs are only as strong as your defensive perimeter players just take a look at South Carolina's perimeter defenders.
But you said "highlight" the post offense, didn't you? That would be scrapping our current offense, wouldn’t it? I;m aksing - don't take offense to my question please. You are a great poster. If i'm wrong here in interpretation let me know. UCON is not going to highlight post play with the guards they have.

In regards to the 2nd point ahhh I was just bringing up that I'm arguing with you about UCONN and low post offense

and the prior post I made I'm arguing with someone opposite stating that they need more of a better big that can play defense. It was just a throwaway comment I made you vs the other poster while in seconds I'm arguing with both.

Reaction Score
You have to have low post offense. It puts pressure on the Defense. Our problems against SC was defending bigs and then trying to play, help defense. That was the entire countries problem against SC.
No you don't highlight the post but you most certainly use them. To many times I see Bigs posting hard and no look inside.
I'm with you 100%. I focused on your word "highlight." Yes 100% I'm with you !!! :) As coco and you I htink both are sayign and I have said many times as well BALANCE is needed.

Reaction Score
Been following UConn women since back in the Rebecca Lobo days. Olivia and Dorka were/are both very non-physical and foul-prone...we need one or 2 posts who will bang with the best of them. Edwards has the build to do it, but doesn't get it done.

Reaction Score
I strongly agree with you and stated this the day Napheesa Collier graduated. You need a balance of perimeter play and post play to return to championship level.
Paige by herself is sufficient perimeter play to get you most of the way there. The post play must improve. Improvement needs to be two fold- The guards cannot be ignoring open post players but the post players need to become significantly more productive with the touches they are getting in the paint and at the basket. Too many missed layup, playing to avoid contact, turnovers by dribbling into traffic and not being set on the high ball screens.
Can't argue when your right.
But please just let me add something to your point.
pm I'm"I'm
What does productive play look like for UCONN post? For every bad play our Post players make it seems to be highlighted or weighted more negative than any other position. Watch a lot of women's basketball and post miss shots moving screens etc.. Even the POY misses shots.

Reaction Score
Been following UConn women since back in the Rebecca Lobo days. Olivia and Dorka were/are both very non-physical and foul-prone...we need one or 2 posts who will bang with the best of them. Edwards has the build to do it, but doesn't get it done.
Agree in principle but:
1) Edwards, while 6'3, is still a little short compared to Boston, Cunane, Brink etc. She is developing her defensive skills and I think will be better yet. She is our most physical big easily, I don't think it is that she isn't getting it done, it's more like it isn't getting done if she is the only one banging.
2) While true that people who were injured or missing definitely handicapped us, we got killed on the boards because SC emphasized everyone working to get both offensive and defensive rebounds. In contrast, with UConn putting 3/5 to 4/5 of the team on the perimeter, then these players likely won't be in the mix for rebounds or loose balls. All SC had to do was block out one player usually. SC bet they could cover any resulting fast breaks by UConn even with crashing the boards because their guards are very quick.
3) Dorka is a good rebounding center/forward. She will benefit from another year of practice and play with the team. I hope she learns how to make lay-ups and improves on her FT percentage.
4) Geno really needs team to practice how to box out, how to always stay between opponent and basket, putting the body against the opponent and pushing them back. Just didn't happen. Boxing out needs to be done not only to the person shooting but also to teammates. Too many times we just didn't box out.
5) I'm hoping Amari will become a good big. She seems to want to stay outside, but she is tallest person on squad, I believe, and there is no reason why she can't become a good big down low.

Reaction Score
But you said "highlight" the post offense, didn't you? That would be scrapping our current offense, wouldn’t it? I;m aksing - don't take offense to my question please. You are a great poster. If i'm wrong here in interpretation let me know. UCON is not going to highlight post play with the guards they have.

In regards to the 2nd point ahhh I was just bringing up that I'm arguing with you about UCONN and low post offense

and the prior post I made I'm arguing with someone opposite stating that they need more of a better big that can play defense. It was just a throwaway comment I made you vs the other poster while in seconds I'm arguing with both.
Thank you and I appreciate your insight on topics too. Never arguing but simple pleasures of debate.
No, I was not referring to highlighting the low post exclusively. If anything I'm merely saying it's time to get innovative and find ways to incorporate post offense so it is attractive to other major post players but most importantly give the other teams something to have to guard against in the post. We can't blame post for every missed shot, foul etc... when the team on whole has similar issues. It's a head scratcher for post players.

I think Amari is Taylor made for Geno's high post offense as she will be able to knock down some perimeter shots. It's the other intangibles that have me a little worried. Such as toughness and rebounding.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can't argue when your right.
But please just let me add something to your point.
pm I'm"I'm
What does productive play look like for UCONN post? For every bad play our Post players make it seems to be highlighted or weighted more negative than any other position. Watch a lot of women's basketball and post miss shots moving screens etc.. Even the POY misses shots.
It is not entirely about shot making. The biggest hallmarks of a UCONN post is consistency, playing to your strengths, and growth.
Consistency would mean that when Geno puts you on the floor he knows what to expect- that is not saying you are going to be a world beater it is just saying there is a predictability to the performance and you are not having days where you look like an AA and other where you fail to impact the game and are almost invisible. The playing to your strength part should be obvious and the expectation is you were recruited because you do X. Y and Z well-keep doing those at a high level but grow your game.
The growth part has been the most frustrating for this senior class IMO. CW, ONO, and Evina are graduating as pretty much the same players they were in their first year at UCONN=no growth. For example Christyn Williams best statistical year was her freshman season & ONO blocked more shots as a part-time player in her freshman season than she did as a fulltime starter in both her junior and senior campaigns. It is very rare for a UCONN player to not improve, even more so for an entire class.

Reaction Score
Thank you and I appreciate your insight on topics too. Never arguing but simple pleasures of debate.
No, I was not referring to highlighting the low post exclusively. If anything I'm merely saying it's time to get innovative and find ways to incorporate post offense so it is attractive to other major post players but most importantly give the other teams something to have to guard against in the post. We can't blame post for every missed shot, foul etc... when the team on whole has similar issues. It's a head scratcher for post players.

I think Amari is Taylor made for Geno's high post offense as she will be able to knock down some perimeter shots. It's the other intangibles that have me a little worried. Such as toughness and rebounding.
There are certainly many options in Auriemma’s read and react motion offense for using the low post and he would love to be able to take advantage of a skilled, inside player or two. If he had one. The problem is that since Napheesa Collier, he hasn’t had an inside offensive threat with the hands, footwork, and variety of shots to make an impact and be able to attack the defense with any kind of consistency. There are very few of them out there to recruit who are ready made so you have to take a kid with size and some athleticism and hope for a fairly quick development. And the motivation for that development has to come mainly from the kid and recently that just hasn’t been there. You can lead a horse to water etc. etc. We’ll see if any of the current roster or incoming freshmen have that motivation in them during the offseason.

Reaction Score
I hope/trust Geno is doubling down on his Toomey commitment amidst her knee injury.

Recall that Gabby Williams blew her knee in HS & Dawn Staley just mentioned in pregame presser responsive to TSN (Canada) media question that she believed in Letitia Amihere even after her HS knee injury.

Reaction Score
Re: SC boards dominance last night, as Rebecca Lobo highlighted, aside from their size/physicality/commitment, it’s even harder to battle for rebounds when you’re fronting the post to prevent catch— the only way to even have a shot at limiting Boston— & thereby relinquishing box-out positioning in process.

I would have like to see more digs from our guards, even/esp after Boston reposts. Have to triage the hemorrhaging wound over the others.

Reaction Score
I hope/trust Geno is doubling down on his Toomey commitment amidst her knee injury.

Recall that Gabby Williams blew her knee in HS & Dawn Staley just mentioned in pregame presser responsive to TSN (Canada) media question that she believed in Letitia Amihere even after her HS knee injury.
Injuries actually. She unfortunately suffered two over the course of her final two HS seasons. The second ACL occurred in December of 2018. It prompted her early enrolment as they wanted to get her on campus and working with their training staff on the recovery process.

Reaction Score
Confirmed ACL injury cost her a PA state championship run. She is still holding a UCONN offer. Last visit was to UNC(?) and there might be other schools in the mix.
ACL surgery in mid-March might mean she is back in time for her senior HS season in November & just in time for her commit to UCONN during the early signing period.
couple comments:
1. her IG has some pictures of her in full North Carolina uni. Not encouraging
2. was there ever any concrete definitive announcement that she did in fact have a torn ACL (beyond some anonymous poster on this board), Google search yields nothing

Reaction Score
The father of an all-state HS player in Wisconsin:

What''s your view on Patterson and Brady in terms of post?

and anyone else please chime in. coco, Bobby, Milford - anyone else?

To me it looks like Brady is not even 6'2. Though can get low post position on offense but she seems small in height. And ofc beautiful shot.

And Patterson- I thought she looks like 6'4. You think 6'4? -- Though listed at 6'2.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
couple comments:
1. her IG has some pictures of her in full North Carolina uni. Not encouraging
2. was there ever any concrete definitive announcement that she did in fact have a torn ACL (beyond some anonymous poster on this board), Google search yields nothing
I believe there was confirmation from a different poster- not the anonymous- a few days later.
I can't get too worked up about her being in a UNC uniform. Courtney is doing a great job down there but I don't see that program being on UCONN's level even with her. Besides a few short months ago someone gave me anxiety talking about Shade taking multiple visits to Lady Vols .

Reaction Score
Some UNC fans I know have pointed out that her parents have faved a lot of UNC tweets. If Connecticut's not the favorite, I think the Heels would have to be considered it.

Reaction Score

To me it looks like Brady is not even 6'2. Though can get low post position on offense but she seems small in height. And ofc beautiful shot.

And Patterson- I thought she looks like 6'4. You think 6'4? -- Though listed at 6'2.
I believe that Brady is a legit 6-3, she was nose to nose height wise to Barker at the McD's AA game. And Patterson is maybe just under that but her hair adds a couple inches. In terms of post play, they both COULD play it but I think Patterson could be more useful as more of a wing. She's very quick, mobile, and athletic but will need to learn a lot about playing in the open floor, passing and getting her shot since she was mostly stuck inside with her back to the hoop because of playing with a small HS team. Brady OTOH can give a tutorial on post footwork, angles, passing, and using both hands for shots. Where she needs work is conditioning, quickness, and learning to play faster. Not necessarily up and down the court faster, although that would be nice, but just her reaction time to the faster college pace of the game. But I do believe that she is perfect for the offensive position that ONO played this year. She will not pass up those 17 footers out to the 3 ball line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe there was confirmation from a different poster- not the anonymous- a few days later.
I can't get too worked up about her being in a UNC uniform. Courtney is doing a great job down there but I don't see that program being on UCONN's level even with her. Besides a few short months ago someone gave me anxiety talking about Shade taking multiple visits to Lady Vols .
I could always be wrong but I tend to think that Toomey's view of UConn is pretty similar to Shade's. But as with Boston, you never know what happens in these kid's heads from one month to another.

Reaction Score
I believe that Brady is a legit 6-3, she was nose to nose height wise to Barker at the McD's AA game. And Patterson is maybe just under that but her hair adds a couple inches. In terms of post play, they both COULD play it but I think Patterson could be more useful as more of a wing. She's very quick, mobile, and athletic but will need to learn a lot about playing in the open floor, passing and getting her shot since she was mostly stuck inside with her back to the hoop because of playing with small HS team. Brady OTOH can give a tutorial on post footwork, angles, passing, and using both hands for shots. Where she needs work is conditioning, quickness, and learning to play faster. Not necessarily up and down the court faster, although that would be nice, but just her reaction time to the faster college pace of the game.
Thank you- we'll see. From what I recall in McD game Patterson didn't have as much of the hair and when she stood next to Brady she looked more than an inch taller than Brady. I guess I'm looking at it wrong.

And I thought when one time Patterson and Oldacre crossed each other - excluding the hair, Patterson just lookedjust very little shorter. Not much. And Oldacre is 6'5 supposedly. But again with angles etc I'm probably wrong.

I see Patterson on offense playing inside and on defense able to defend anyone quick (within reason) on the outside; imo her lateral movement I feel is outstanding. And depending how tall she is - she can guard posts. If she were 6'4 which appears she isn't then she can possibly guard 6'7. To me Patterson looks awfully strong. As a result, she'll be a terrific rebounder on both offense and defense.

Similar with Brady- the taller she is- the more lethal. Doesn't have the hops but seems to have long arms and great feet. And has that power bulk.

Reaction Score
It is not entirely about shot making. The biggest hallmarks of a UCONN post is consistency, playing to your strengths, and growth.
Consistency would mean that when Geno puts you on the floor he knows what to expect- that is not saying you are going to be a world beater it is just saying there is a predictability to the performance and you are not having days where you look like an AA and other where you fail to impact the game and are almost invisible. The playing to your strength part should be obvious and the expectation is you were recruited because you do X. Y and Z well-keep doing those at a high level but grow your game.
The growth part has been the most frustrating for this senior class IMO. CW, ONO, and Evina are graduating as pretty much the same players they were in their first year at UCONN=no growth. For example Christyn Williams best statistical year was her freshman season & ONO blocked more shots as a part-time player in her freshman season than she did as a fulltime starter in both her junior and senior campaigns. It is very rare for a UCONN player to not improve, even more so for an entire class.
Curious what you think the lack of growth might be attributable to. Would add that it wasn't just that statistically, there wasn't a ton of improvement but the consistency from game to game was still not quite there either. All three had their moments and stretches where they played great but on the flip side, all three also had games where they would just disappear.

Reaction Score
Guess we have no chance.
Janiah Barker seems to really dislike UCONN.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-153213_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-153213_Instagram.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_20220404-153234_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-153234_Instagram.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 251

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Curious what you think the lack of growth might be attributable to. Would add that it wasn't just that statistically, there wasn't a ton of improvement but the consistency from game to game was still not quite there either. All three had their moments and stretches where they played great but on the flip side, all three also had games where they would just disappear.
I honestly don't know. If I had to venture a guess I would say this is personality driven- meaning that true improvement only comes with hard work once you internalize the need for improvement . CW and ONO are definitely hard workers but that internalization may not have kicked in. The flip side of that explanation is that Geno who is a master button pusher and may simply never have found the right buttons to push to drive the required growth and consistent play. God knows Geno has tried, both privately& publicly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The Fro adds inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc