Anybody aware of any potential grad transfers that could be added? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Anybody aware of any potential grad transfers that could be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He does look like a perfect fit, especially if he could provide an upper classman role model of how to play and handle yourself. Scoring and rebounding would be good too.

Reaction Score
Per KenPom, Cornell had him playing the 4 and 5 this year:

View attachment 8872
While KenPom is great, it can be a bit wonky when it comes to positional breakdowns. Just look at ours, where they have Omar at the 4:
cO0ee3j.png

That being said, between his size and skill set, Miller looks like he's a natural college 4. And as an added bonus, KenPom ranks him as the sixth best defensive rebounder in the country. Sign him up!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
some kind of power forward is needed on the team thats all I know. Somebody who can do things after they set a screen, not be left alone as our ball handler gets trapped. beggers can't be choosers... but i'm a bit weary miller is feasible . come in here and snatch minutes from all the bigs? is he good enough? if he isn't, he's better off going to grad school elsewhere. This isn't a kromah situation where KO was gift wrapped an A-10 starter. but again beggers can't be choosers so any commit would be welcomed.

Reaction Score
Miller’s appeal was evident Friday night in an upset of Harvard (20-6, 10-2), which is tied with Yale for first in the Ivy League. Miller had 24 points and 15 rebounds in a 57-49 victory, highlighted by a reverse dunk off an alley-oop pass.

After the game, Harvard Coach Tommy Amaker said he thought Miller, who is third in the Ivy League in blocks and second in free-throw percentage at 83.4 percent, could have an impact at a major Division I program next season.

Reaction Score
While KenPom is great, it can be a bit wonky when it comes to positional breakdowns. Just look at ours, where they have Omar at the 4:
cO0ee3j.png

That being said, between his size and skill set, Miller looks like he's a natural college 4. And as an added bonus, KenPom ranks him as the sixth best defensive rebounder in the country. Sign him up!

I think this kid would be a very nice get. Let's hope one of our more astute recruiting experts/posters tips off the staff and it at least acts as a secondary (if not primary) reinforcement of information to KO & Crew. (as we should have learned to take nothing for granted right now). Because this board is so heavily trafficked/enforced internally by the Einstein/Wooden type basketball minds of the world...it is my sincere hope we don't feed the trolls on this diamond of a prospect that only so many teams/coaches are aware of at the moment.

He is from the Cleveland area. I don't see any offers out of high school per ESPN ect...seemed to be set exclusively on Ivy.

Can someone please burst my bubble on this kid. He seems perfect. No?

Reaction Score
I think this kid would be a very nice get. Let's hope one of our more astute recruiting experts/posters tips off the staff and it at least acts as a secondary (if not primary) reinforcement of information to KO & Crew. Because this board is so heavily trafficked/enforced internally by the Einstein/Wooden type basketball minds of the world...it is my sincere hope we don't feed the trolls on this diamond of a prospect that only so many teams/coaches are aware of at the moment.

He is from the Cleveland area. I don't see any offers out of high school per ESPN ect...seemed to be set exclusively on Ivy.

Can someone please burst my bubble on this kid. He seems perfect. No?

My only issue with him is that he takes a fair number of threes for someone who makes very few of them (28/104 last year). He's still reasonably efficient on offense because he gets to the line a lot, and he was great from the line last year (83%). If he can either cut down on those threes or get his success rate around 34% or so, he'll be a really valuable player.

Reaction Score
My only issue with him is that he takes a fair number of threes for someone who makes very few of them (28/104 last year). He's still reasonably efficient on offense because he gets to the line a lot, and he was great from the line last year (83%). If he can either cut down on those threes or get his success rate around 34% or so, he'll be a really valuable player.
That is a pretty fair analysis indeed...

Reaction Score
I actually don't mind that. I'd take a capable shooter that takes too many 3s over someone who's just not a threat from deep. First, he was Cornell's go-to player, and often those players have less efficient numbers from the field because they're relied upon for bail out shots. Miller would not have that same role in our offense, and his ability to hit a 3 would greatly help our offensive spacing, which is critical with all of the slashers we have on our team.

Someone who can play the 4, hit some shots from beyond the arc, and rebound at a high level sounds like the perfect fit for our roster. I hope we make a serious run at him.

Reaction Score
@James @BLUEDOGHOUSE I'd never even heard of the kid before today, but I don't think anybody here would dispute that - for the second season in a row - the four is the biggest question mark heading into next year. The acquisition wouldn't by any stretch render kids like Facey or Lubin useless, but it would give us a much needed insurance policy against the possibility that those two do not get demonstrably better. Enoch? I have no idea.

As @CallMeBruce points out, 27% from three isn't ideal, especially when you're hoisting 3.5 per game. But, I think context is important here - Cornell ranked 309th in the country in offensive efficiency, which likely diluted the shot quality of the entire offense. Many of those looks were probably tightly contested, but if he came here, there is reason to believe he could shoot it at the aforementioned 34-35% clip. He won't be Niels Giffey, but teams will probably have to guard him...which is more than we can currently say about any of our other four men.

With Miller, though, I'm more intrigued by what he offers at the other end. Cornell ranked 79th in defensive efficiency, and given Miller ranked first in the Ivy League in defensive rating and swatted two shots per game, it's probably safe to say he was their anchor.

And perhaps most importantly of all, he can go get 'in ball off the backboard. I don't know if his shot blocking and scoring will translate...but rebounding is a skill that tends to be fairly reliable, and this team is desperately in need of a four who can rebound. That way, we can better live with rebounding deficiencies of our centers without compromising the infrastructure of our defense to do so (Hamilton can't guard fours and Facey still doesn't know where to be).

Again, all I can do on Miller is pour over his statistics, and I have no idea if there is mutual or even one-way interest. But this is the type of player - or at least the type of player I have created with my imagination - that is so critical to the teams success next season. He may only be an average AAC player, but even an average player can be valuable if they are able to stabilize the surrounding roster.

Reaction Score
@James @BLUEDOGHOUSE I'd never even heard of the kid before today, but I don't think anybody here would dispute that - for the second season in a row - the four is the biggest question mark heading into next year. The acquisition wouldn't by any stretch render kids like Facey or Lubin useless, but it would give us a much needed insurance policy against the possibility that those two do not get demonstrably better. Enoch? I have no idea.

As @CallMeBruce points out, 27% from three isn't ideal, especially when you're hoisting 3.5 per game. But, I think context is important here - Cornell ranked 309th in the country in offensive efficiency, which likely diluted the shot quality of the entire offense. Many of those looks were probably tightly contested, but if he came here, there is reason to believe he could shoot it at the aforementioned 34-35% clip. He won't be Niels Giffey, but teams will probably have to guard him...which is more than we can currently say about any of our other four men.

With Miller, though, I'm more intrigued by what he offers at the other end. Cornell ranked 79th in defensive efficiency, and given Miller ranked first in the Ivy League in defensive rating and swatted two shots per game, it's probably safe to say he was their anchor.

And perhaps most importantly of all, he can go get 'in ball off the backboard. I don't know if his shot blocking and scoring will translate...but rebounding is a skill that tends to be fairly reliable, and this team is desperately in need of a four who can rebound. That way, we can better live with rebounding deficiencies of our centers without compromising the infrastructure of our defense to do so (Hamilton can't guard fours and Facey still doesn't know where to be).

Again, all I can do on Miller is pour over his statistics, and I have no idea if there is mutual or even one-way interest. But this is the type of player - or at least the type of player I have created with my imagination - that is so critical to the teams success next season. He may only be an average AAC player, but even an average player can be valuable if they are able to stabilize the surrounding roster.

Hi 99ando4,

Facey & Lubin would become the immediate insurance policy IMO. I knew of the kid from perusing Ivy rosters and reading preseason league previews. When our resident Hall of Famer TCF (sp) broke this scoop it became apparent to me immediately that this young man could be an immediate difference maker for all of the reasons you so articulately express in your post. I think he would be Third Team all AAC. Harvard was legit this year again. His #'s against them were insane. 24 and 15. That translates as immediate impact per Ammaker himself. Hopefully we are in on this kid because I am bearish on Facey/Lubin.

Reaction Score
I think he grew 2-3 inches in college, all the recruiting sites had him listed around 6'4. I'm bullish on Enoch and his ability to command minutes, however I just changed my tune and believe this shon miller would be a fabulous addition.

Just read this nyt piece on the end of his ivy career, doesn't really sound like he is super excited to leave cornell or compete elsewhere. However I would ( if i were KO) tell him this is his chance to compete at the very highest level in college hoops, to test himself and see if he can compete night in and out at the 4 slot for uconn. he is super competitive according to his coach, i have a hard time believing he wont bite on the challenge if presented.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Shooting the 3 at the that percentage is not great but doesnt worry me..With someone like that it is not hard for the school/coach he decides to go to instruct him and assist him to improve that aspect of his game in order to stretch the floor..

Reaction Score
I'm heading to OC, MD to play some golf and returning Tuesday. Between golf and watching NCAA games at the Green Turtle, Seacrets amongst others I will not be on here more than likely so I hope to return to some great news about some senior transfer, any kind of transfer or recruit when I return. See what you can get me Zionn unlike others I trust in you!! LOL

Reaction Score
He's an interesting one. He played on the ball a fair amount last year, but this past year was almost exclusively at the 2. Dynamite shooter, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for us.

Reaction Score
Wow. If that happens...I get the feeling people will start to better appreciate how good of a coach Cal is.

Look at the kids pre LSU workouts. Also his mindset in the documentary as it relates to his approach to basketball. Good to have the resources for this type of training...:)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Kahlil Dukes, USC SG, announced he is transferring. 2.1 pts/game this year but is a very good 3 pt shooter and ball handler.

Also from Hartford.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
With all the coaching changes, all the transfer kids being listed on this site and the remaining undeclared kids, if we don't get what we need for next year it would be disappointing .

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Keep in mind almost none of these kids are going to be absolute studs à la Purvis - unless it's a coach firing or a graduate, odds are these kids are leaving because there's either a skill deficiency in some area that prevented them from being successful at their previous level or an attitude issue that rendered them incompatible with their previous coach. Even the grad transfers have a couple of flaws in their games too. We're not going to be the answers to all of our problems from transfers; I think a Lasan Kromah type is the best we can hope for.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Keep in mind almost none of these kids are going to be absolute studs à la Purvis - unless it's a coach firing or a graduate, odds are these kids are leaving because there's either a skill deficiency in some area that prevented them from being successful at their previous level or an attitude issue that rendered them incompatible with their previous coach. Even the grad transfers have a couple of flaws in their games too. We're not going to be the answers to all of our problems from transfers; I think a Lasan Kromah type is the best we can hope for.
He's not active next year, but I think Kahlil Dukes could be that guy. Especially with 3 years under KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom