Andre Drummond & Rudy Gay make final Team USA Roster. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Drummond & Rudy Gay make final Team USA Roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't love Plumlee as a player, but he's the second best rim protector on the team, something that will be very useful.

If anyone has a beef with Plumlee making the roster it's Parsons, not Hayward.

I'd say Drummond is a better rim protector than Plumlee.

Reaction Score
I'd say Drummond is a better rim protector than Plumlee.

They're certainly close statistically, but in watching a fair amount of Pistons games, Drummond struggles when it comes to help defense and guards seem to score on him a lot more than they should at the rim. He's better than Plumlee at post defense though, and he had to play with Brandon Jennings all year, who's a horrible defender.

Reaction Score
They're certainly close statistically, but in watching a fair amount of Pistons games, Drummond struggles when it comes to help defense and guards seem to score on him a lot more than they should at the rim. He's better than Plumlee at post defense though, and he had to play with Brandon Jennings all year, who's a horrible defender.

I'll take your word for it that Drummond struggles in help defense, but he's still at 2.1 blocks per 36 minutes for his career to Plumlee's 1.6. Also, in talking with some Duke fans, many of them weren't impressed with Plumlee's pick-and-roll defense during his time at Duke. Maybe he has improved in that area in the pros, but it still seems like a wash at best.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the trade to Sacramento did that. He's not going to be an MVP as long as there's a Durant/Irving/LeBron/etc in the league, but he's been a totally different player in Sac than he was in Canada.
Erving is not in that class of player. He's really Kenny Anderson part 2.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A month ago if I was watching Jeopardy and the answer was "Rudy Gay and Andre Drummond", I'm not sure US Team members who played for UConn would have come to mind.

Reaction Score
A month ago if I was watching Jeopardy and the answer was "Rudy Gay and Andre Drummond", I'm not sure US Team members who played for UConn would have come to mind.

Ya, I struggled with that one and this one too, the answer was "BYU and Boise State".

C

Chief00

I never could understand how so many UConn fans underestimate AD - they lie the blame for a disappointing year on a Freshman when there was so many disruptive things going on that year both for coaches and players.

Reaction Score
I never could understand how so many UConn fans underestimate AD - they lie the blame for a disappointing year on a Freshman when there was so many disruptive things going on that year both for coaches and players.

I'm amazed how many posters have claimed they are shocked he made it.

Reaction Score
Based on what would you take Irving over Lillard? He's basically the same player Kyrie is, except he's more efficient, and his team has had far more success in a much tougher conference. Oh, and he just averaged 23-7-5 in the playoffs while Kyrie was in the lottery for the third straight year.

I don't have a huge problem with Kyrie making it over Lillard, since they're virtually identical as players and Kyrie probably has more room to grow. But this wasn't a fair fight by any means, with Kyrie being a "lock" since day one of camp and 'Dame having to scratch and claw his way to a roster spot.
Id take Kyrie based on he just turned 21,is a better athlete and just as good as Dame is right now. I think Dame is a great player its just id take kyrie. You need to get over your duke envy. You have D.Rose and Kyrie and you said it yourself not much difference between kyrie and Dame. As far as playoffs come on man really? Dame plays on a far better team than what cleveland has had the last couple of seasons.

Reaction Score
Because they will foul him every time he touches and there is no way he will make the shot.

Unless he gets significantly better at this it will prevent him from being a great player in the future. Really not hating on him but it is the truth.

www.youtube.com/embed/DnT0UH_Erjg

Reaction Score
Given FIBA's basket interference rule, Andre could be really scary as he seems to have his hand 6-12 inches above everyone else on tip ins (everyone else = nba games). Getting fouled on tipins isn't going to prevent a dunk.

Reaction Score
Lillard is actually on a good basketball team with other good players and one great player in Aldridge. Cleveland has pretty much been a dumpster fire since LeBron left. Their numbers are pretty much identical but Kyrie is younger and probably showed better in practice and exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Id take Kyrie based on he just turned 21,is a better athlete and just as good as Dame is right now. I think Dame is a great player its just id take kyrie. You need to get over your duke envy. You have D.Rose and Kyrie and you said it yourself not much difference between kyrie and Dame. As far as playoffs come on man really? Dame plays on a far better team than what cleveland has had the last couple of seasons.

That's fine. But if you don't think it matters at least a little bit that Dame led his team to the second round in a loaded western conference while Kyrie just finished year three and hasn't even sniffed the playoffs, I'd say you're wrong. Obviously Portland has a better supporting cast, I'm just not convinced Portland is as good if you swap Kyrie and Lillard. I'm also not sure Kyrie is the better athlete.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Happy for Andre but even more for Rudy, who probably gets more undeserved flak on here than any other alum (emphasis on undeserved)

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the trade to Sacramento did that. He's not going to be an MVP as long as there's a Durant/Irving/LeBron/etc in the league, but he's been a totally different player in Sac than he was in Canada.

We'll see how long it lasts. I love Rudy, and I agree with you, but losing at the rate that Sacramento is capable of can totally crush a player who seems to have some issues focusing in the first place.

Reaction Score
I'm also not sure Kyrie is the better athlete.

Yea, I was going to let that post of his slide but I'm glad you didn't. No regular watcher of the NBA would agree with that Irving is more athletic.

Reaction Score
Lillard is actually on a good basketball team with other good players and one great player in Aldridge. Cleveland has pretty much been a dumpster fire since LeBron left. Their numbers are pretty much identical but Kyrie is younger and probably showed better in practice and exhibition games.
Coach K Dook bias is more likely but it is very possible that a little LeBron James influence going on here.
1. LeBron desperately needs Kyrie to get some highly competitive reps and experience playing with very good players.
1A. Literally Kyrie's most competitive playoff type game might have been his one NCAA tourney game (a loss).
B. Team USA might want to please LeBron so that he plays in the next Team USA competition/Olympics

Also surprised AD made it, although I thought all along he should I believed the articles that pretty much said he'd be the first cut.
Hayward out is good = more time for Rudy
Surprised that they didn't take Korver, having a guy that can come off the bench and score from deep is very valuable, they've got shooters but most are streaky/hot cold types that start or play with the ball. Korver is fine with 3 shots per game and I'd have taken him over Boogie as its almost a guarantee that Boogie does something ill-advised on or of the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's fine. But if you don't think it matters at least a little bit that Dame led his team to the second round in a loaded western conference while Kyrie just finished year three and hasn't even sniffed the playoffs, I'd say you're wrong. Obviously Portland has a better supporting cast, I'm just not convinced Portland is as good if you swap Kyrie and Lillard. I'm also not sure Kyrie is the better athlete.

I would say Lillard is PART of the supporting cast. Lamarcus Aldridge is by far the best player on that team and one of the best at his position in the league. There's a huge difference in being THE guy and being the guy behind THE guy. Irving has never played with another good, let alone great player. We'll see how he does this year.

Reaction Score
Erving is not in that class of player. He's really Kenny Anderson part 2.

He's a lot better than Kenny Anderson for the simple fact that he can shoot. He has one of the better handles in the league and he can shoot. Injuries and the absence of another high level player have hampered his development. Kenny Anderson made one All-Star game his whole career (and scored 6 points). Irving has already made 2 and won MVP of this year's game.

Reaction Score
He's a lot better than Kenny Anderson for the simple fact that he can shoot. He has one of the better handles in the league and he can shoot. Injuries and the absence of another high level player have hampered his development. Kenny Anderson made one All-Star game his whole career (and scored 6 points). Irving has already made 2 and won MVP of this year's game.
Really? All-star game scoring!

Reaction Score
That would be because all signs and media reports pointed to him getting cut.

What signs? And why would the media expect him to get cut? Because he played for Detroit?

He's huge - he has the size Team USA needs, he's powerful (probably the most powerful guy on the US roster), a tremendous athlete, and averaged a solid double-double during the season He was among the league leader in several statistical categories, he's primed for a breakout season, and is a great rim protector. He's a future star in the league. All the signs indicated that he would be great for Team USA.

Reaction Score
What signs? And why would the media expect him to get cut? Because he played for Detroit?

He's huge - he has the size Team USA needs, powerful (probably the most powerful guy on the US roster), a tremendous athlete, and averaged a solid double-double during the season He was among the league leader in several statistical categories, he's primed for a breakout season, and is a great rim protector.

Have you been following this team at all? Most pundits predicted that Drummond wasn't making the final roster. It was considered a surprise when he wasn't cut.

Reaction Score

He's huge - he has the size Team USA needs, he's powerful (probably the most powerful guy on the US roster), a tremendous athlete, and averaged a solid double-double during the season He was among the league leader in several statistical categories, he's primed for a breakout season, and is a great rim protector. He's a future star in the league. All the signs indicated that he would be great for Team USA.

he's barely played in the exhibitions. when the USA team held practice in NY this past week all the writers covering it were tweeting that there were reports that the decision had already been made for him to be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom