Andre Drummond & Rudy Gay make final Team USA Roster. | The Boneyard

Andre Drummond & Rudy Gay make final Team USA Roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looked like Drummond was going to be cut, but I'm ecstatic he made the roster. Playing with great players and being in the structure of Team USA should really help his development.

It's also ridiculous that Mason Plumlee made the roster (obvious Duke bias IMO), but I guess they thought they'd need all the size they have against Spain.

Reaction Score
I was positive Drummond would get cut. Good for him, this experience could be huge for his career

Reaction Score
They decided to take ALL the bigs. KD was going to play a lot of 4, so they had to keep another with him pulling out. Cousins, Davis, Drummond, Faried, and Plumlee all made it.

The Lillard cut was pretty surprising.

Reaction Score
What's the breakdown of the team by university?

I'm feeling too lazy to do the research.

Reaction Score
It looked like Drummond was going to be cut, but I'm ecstatic he made the roster. Playing with great players and being in the structure of Team USA should really help his development.

It's also ridiculous that Mason Plumlee made the roster (obvious Duke bias IMO), but I guess they thought they'd need all the size they have against Spain.

Agree….I will say Plumlee is a better player than I thought he would be but Hayward is a MUCH better player than him right now and isn't much smaller at all so size had little do with it. Instead it had K all over it - it's his team what can you do?

Notice 2 UK players too as obviously Squid made them NBA players :eek:……where's the rest of his one and done's that were ranked in the Top 5 nationally who didn't even try out?

Congrats to Andre and Rudy……..represent!

Reaction Score
Andre had a really nice game a couple nights ago. He scored 10 or 12 points in a row in the third quarter, rebounded well, and really hustled. I think that performance may have put him over the top.

Similar situation for Rudy; played very well the other night, was not mistake free (particularly on the defensive end), but he really hustled, scored, and showed his versatility. I really think that performance may have put him over the top as well.

Reaction Score
Agree….I will say Plumlee is a better player than I thought he would be but Hayward is a MUCH better player than him right now and isn't much smaller at all so size had little do with it. Instead it had K all over it - it's his team what can you do?

Notice 2 UK players too as obviously Squid made them NBA players :eek:……where's the rest of his one and done's that were ranked in the Top 5 nationally who didn't even try out?

Size had everything to do with it. They're completely different players and Plumlee has at least 3 inches on Hayward.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Rudy is the oldest player on the team, and Andre is the youngest.

Rudy played really well last night, and Andre didn't play at all. Andre may have made the team the previous game, and they didn't need to see more from him.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hopefully it rejuvenates Gay's career and he wins the MVP a million times.

I'm pretty sure the trade to Sacramento did that. He's not going to be an MVP as long as there's a Durant/Irving/LeBron/etc in the league, but he's been a totally different player in Sac than he was in Canada.

Reaction Score

Plumlee is way bigger than Hayward, totally different players.

Reaction Score

Plumlee is way bigger than Hayward, totally different players.

Seriously, Plumlee is a 4/5, Hayward is a 2/3.

Reaction Score
Dont see how you take Irving over Lillard. Similar players and one has been better over 2 years than the other.

Shocked Drummond made it and ecstatic for him.

Reaction Score
Dont see how you take Irving over Lillard. Similar players and one has been better over 2 years than the other.

Shocked Drummond made it and ecstatic for him.
Disagree totally. Id take Irving over Lillard any day of the week. I dont think hes leaps and bounds better but i definitely think hes better. Plumlee making the team was a mix of need and bias.

Reaction Score
Seriously, Plumlee is a 4/5, Hayward is a 2/3.

Hayward at 6'8" and stronger now can play from 2-4 if needed and can score the basketball. Let's not pretend that 2 inches makes Plumlee a better pick than Hayward because it's just not true. Again, if they really need a "true PF" on the roster vs a really good basketball player then I guess you win because that's pretty much all he is. I'd prefer guys who can play various positions but that's why I'm not coaching team USA.

Reaction Score
Hayward at 6'8" and stronger now can play from 2-4 if needed and can score the basketball. Let's not pretend that 2 inches makes Plumlee a better pick than Hayward because it's just not true. Again, if they really need a "true PF" on the roster vs a really good basketball player then I guess you win because that's pretty much all he is. I'd prefer guys who can play various positions but that's why I'm not coaching team USA.
Plumlee has played only C on this team, that could change when possibly facing Spain since they will play 2 bigs, but for FIBA basketball and his role with the USA he's pretty much strictly a C. Plumlee and Hayward don't serve the same role on this team, and they're also not anything alike as players, so it doesn't make sense to compare them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't love Plumlee as a player, but he's the second best rim protector on the team, something that will be very useful.

If anyone has a beef with Plumlee making the roster it's Parsons, not Hayward.

Reaction Score
Disagree totally. Id take Irving over Lillard any day of the week. I dont think hes leaps and bounds better but i definitely think hes better. Plumlee making the team was a mix of need and bias.

Based on what would you take Irving over Lillard? He's basically the same player Kyrie is, except he's more efficient, and his team has had far more success in a much tougher conference. Oh, and he just averaged 23-7-5 in the playoffs while Kyrie was in the lottery for the third straight year.

I don't have a huge problem with Kyrie making it over Lillard, since they're virtually identical as players and Kyrie probably has more room to grow. But this wasn't a fair fight by any means, with Kyrie being a "lock" since day one of camp and 'Dame having to scratch and claw his way to a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom