Amida Brimah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will temper my jubilation of having this kid in a Husky uni but it's not easy. While he did a few things which will not work against Maryland and others, he showed so much upside it is exciting as hell. He may not be everything we want every night as a freshman but he will grow, learn and become a tremendous player for UConn at some point in his career and I'm guessing that to be sooner rather than later..........fun stuff!!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Obviously a long way to go, but I kept thinking he could be like Mutombo eventually

He does remind me some of Mutombo in the way he moves. I would guess that he is faster and more fluid than Mutombo as a freshman. As he gets stronger, he will hopefully become more of a force on the boards as well.

Reaction Score
I don't like him coming up to the top of the key setting picks. I'd also like to see some plays run for him.

Reaction Score
I don't like him coming up to the top of the key setting picks. I'd also like to see some plays run for him.

Our offense revolves around the high ball screen, he has to do that

Reaction Score

For now we will not know whether he is setting it strong or not because we won't be sure whether he's face up or sideways, there's no way to tell!! LOL.........

Let's be honest here setting screens by AB will not be his biggest impact

Reaction Score
For now we will not know whether he is setting it strong or not because we won't be sure whether he's face up or sideways, there's no way to tell!! LOL.........

Let's be honest here setting screens by AB will not be his biggest impact

He definitely needs work on screen setting but he's gotta learn, our offense won't fuction at its best without the high ball screen up top for the guards.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed during the season opening scrimmage w/ the women how well both Brimah and Facey ran the court. I love Brimah's athleticism (he cleared 6' in the high jump in high school with minimal training). His enthusiasm makes him instantly likeable, and he fits right into the type of up tempo game KO wants to coach. Not to knock Thabeet, but I seem to remember he rebelled early on against extra work, considering it punitive. Don't think KO will ever have that issue w/ AB.

Reaction Score
After seeing the scrimmage and this exhibition game, I would say that Brimah is far more mobile and agile than Thabeet. As long as he stays healthy, he will become a beast in time.

True, Thabeet was much more raw as a freshman, but he had one thing going for him that AB does not - he was 7'3" with the wingspan to go with it. I'm lovin' me some Amida, but those 4 inches are what made Thabeet so special. Thabeet is as much taller than Amida as Amida is taller than Neils. That being said I think Amida has huge potential - if you want to see huge just check out his hands or feet - he must wear a size 16. He also plays with an attitude, a nasty streak that I haven't seen in a Uconn uniform since Jeff Adrian left. The whole game changed when he came in last nite, it energized the fans, it energized his teammates - the bench was going crazy with every block. Great to see.

Reaction Score
True, Thabeet was much more raw as a freshman, but he had one thing going for him that AB does not - he was 7'3" with the wingspan to go with it. I'm lovin' me some Amida, but those 4 inches are what made Thabeet so special. Thabeet is as much taller than Amida as Amida is taller than Neils. That being said I think Amida has huge potential - if you want to see huge just check out his hands or feet - he must wear a size 16. He also plays with an attitude, a nasty streak that I haven't seen in a Uconn uniform since Jeff Adrian left. The whole game changed when he came in last nite, it energized the fans, it energized his teammates - the bench was going crazy with every block. Great to see.

there vertical reach is probably almost the exact same. thabeet has a lot of neck and brimah has almost none. that is where the 2-3 inches come from. Thabeet is 7'1.25" without shoes and brimah is probably 6'10.5-6'11" without shoes. If brimah's reported 7'6" wingspan is correct, than its almost exactly the same as thabeet. these facts are why people are so excited. He should theoretically have atleast thabeets career simply because of the height and athleticism. Almost all of thabeet production came from his height and running the floor.

Reaction Score
I know, but i hate seeing him away from the basket. He rolled nice after the pick but they never threw it to him and he was open a few times . The guards need to work on that.

Reaction Score
I know, but i hate seeing him away from the basket. He rolled nice after the pick but they never threw it to him and he was open a few times . The guards need to work on that.

Agreed, as well as Bazz and Boat played in setting guys up, Brimah had at least 2 or 3 more opportunities for oops or easy opportunities at the basket that they missed, would've like to have seen them take the chance against a pushover in a blowout win.

Reaction Score
@SethOnHoops: By seasons end UCONN freshman Amid Brimah has a chance to be a dominating rim protector.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
As a freshman, Thabeet was like a baby giraffe. Tall, lanky, and fell down a lot. I mean a lot. Like he didn't understand how his legs worked yet.

As I recall, they broke out the sand buckets for Thabeet to increase his hand strength. Brimah is going to have to work on his rebounding and hand strength - I recall a play where a guard pulled a rebound away from him. That being said, what I saw last night has made me ECSTATIC. From what we've heard about his work ethic and the aggression I saw in the game, I have these visions in my head of Brimah engaging in Rocky like workouts - chasing chickens, slamming his hands down into buckets of sand, punching skinned cow carcasses hanging from meat hooks in freezers, and traveling back to Ghana to engage in hand-to-hand combat with lions.

If KO can continue to get recruits like Amidah that are mis-rated by the Paul Biancardi's of the world, we can look forward to an era of Husky dominance. I LOVE THIS KID and can't wait to watch him grow up in a husky uniform.

Reaction Score
As a freshman, Thabeet was like a baby giraffe. Tall, lanky, and fell down a lot. I mean a lot. Like he didn't understand how his legs worked yet.

I think even in his last year he hit the deck twice as often in a game as any player should. I sometimes have suspect balance playing ball at 6'4", I cant imagine how weird it must feel to be 7'3"

Reaction Score

His offensive skills will likely be limited to a pick and roll for a while. I sense he will need to score off put backs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think even in his last year he hit the deck twice as often in a game as any player should. I sometimes have suspect balance playing ball at 6'4", I cant imagine how weird it must feel to be 7'3"
Wasn't an issue of balance. He played soccer before bb where flopping is a developed skill. Don't understand why coach K didn't recruit Thabeet!

U

UCONNfan1

Add my enthusiasm to the Brimah bandwagon. He was a big surprise to me. For some reason I thought Facey as the better prospect, but I see Nolan and Brimah getting the lions share of time at the 5. Facey will have to battle Tyler for time at the 4 behind Deandre...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Add my enthusiasm to the Brimah bandwagon. He was a big surprise to me. For some reason I thought Facey as the better prospect, but I see Nolan and Brimah getting the lions share of time at the 5. Facey will have to battle Tyler for time at the 4 behind Deandre...
At this time last season, people threw in the towel for DD. OC was the hot topic. For a good part of last season DD was a big ? and fans were questioning his ranking before joining UConn. And then things clicked. Facey has a larger uphill battle because he's new to the game. And he doesn't have Brimah's length. But my gut tells me he has the best offensive rebounding potential on this team.

Season is just starting and looks more promising than last year. But the team is still in a state of flux.

Reaction Score
I know it was just an exhibition, but yeesh. How does a kid that tall and long and that moves as effortlessly as that float under the radar? The staff really has a gem to work with.
Beyond great agility, he's the fastest 5 we've EVER had. Once his blocks go to teammates or himself, he will graduate from a major contributor to a major force. Loving the jump hook a few times per game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Beyond great agility, he's the fastest 5 we've EVER had. Once his blocks go to teammates or himself, he will graduate from a major contributor to a major force. Loving the jump hook a few times per game.

He gives Drummond a run for his money. It takes him 4 or 5 strides to get from one end of the court to another.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He kind of reminds me of a better version of Fab Melo, only without all the stuff Fab Melo does, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom