AMA update on PC board | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AMA update on PC board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure. Both programs could succeed, they could flip flop, or the status quo could remain. The latter seems to be perceived as inevitable here. While I get the justifiable "show me" attitude about PC, the inevitability of UCONN's continued success is far from a given. I could very easily see you guys slide quite a bit.
Of course it's possible we could slide quite a bit. We just had one of the 3-4 greatest coaches in the history of basketball at any level stop coaching us.

I understand what an incredibly special human being Kevin Ollie is though, so I'll take my chances.

Reaction Score
How do you think they pronounce Abu's last name in North Carolina?

Is it Aaaabuh, as in a-pple with an "uh" at the end, like the band that sang "Dancing Queen," or something else??

Reaction Score
How do you think they pronounce Abu's last name in North Carolina?

Is it Aaaabuh, as in a-pple with an "uh" at the end, like the band that sang "Dancing Queen," or something else??
The correct way to pronounce it in Arabic is "u (as in uh) - boo".

Reaction Score
I could very easily see you guys slide quite a bit.

well you are a CBB expert and as you can tell everyone here values your opinion alot. so if you "could very easily" see our program's decline, then it therefore must be true. i'm officially worried.

Reaction Score
The correct way to pronounce it in Arabic is "u (as in uh) - boo".

Yes, but the North Carolina way and the correct way are not necessarily the same thing.

Reaction Score
Sure. Both programs could succeed, they could flip flop, or the status quo could remain. The latter seems to be perceived as inevitable here. While I get the justifiable "show me" attitude about PC, the inevitability of UCONN's continued success is far from a given. I could very easily see you guys slide quite a bit.

The data is limited on coach Ollie but so far there is absolutely nothing to indicate a drop-off from the Calhoun days. He showed very good coaching ability last year in a tough situation and has recruited on an equivalent level despite a lot of headwinds which are abating. You may want to look into some if the glowing comments from recruits, parents and coaches about Ollie. I dare say he may ultimately recruit at a higher level. Look what he has done already this year with NCAA handcuffs on.

There is some validity in the conference affiliation issue, the AAC isn't the OLD Big East that's for sure. But no conference is and we may never see another of its like. But why would you look at the AAC as being necessarily worse than the NEW Big East? You lost the top four programs in UConn, Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt. You're left with a solid Georgetown program, a middling SJU program, a flagging Villanova, a sometimes OK Xavier, a Brad Steven-less Butler and some road kill. The presence of UConn alone may make the AAC better. Along with Memphis and Cincy that is as good a threesome as the new Big East will be able throw out there in any given year. So if conference affiliation is going to hurt UConn it will equally hurt New BE members, PC included. And we have a puncher's chance of improving our lot within the next few years. You're stuck.

It's OK to fantasize I suppose but don't count on that flip-flop just yet.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that KO is one of the best young coaches in all of college basketball. We are beyond fortunate to have him. I bet there isn't a UConn fan on this site who would rather have Cooley as head coach. KO is the perfect replacement for Calhoun.

Reaction Score
you left off Marquette. And Nova is an established program like Gtown. They have their ups and downs, but they're usually NCAA bound. St John's is stocking up on talent and is on the upswing. I'm much higher on the new BE than the AAC, but I can see where it depends on your interests. I think the new BE is a much better place to be than the AAC.

Reaction Score
you left off Marquette. And Nova is an established program like Gtown. They have their ups and downs, but they're usually NCAA bound. St John's is stocking up on talent and is on the upswing. I'm much higher on the new BE than the AAC, but I can see where it depends on your interests. I think the new BE is a much better place to be than the AAC.

AAC has great exposure on ESPN, BE has an upstart channel with good exposure, both conferences are drawing good talent, AAC has UConn, BE doesn't, AAC has bigger schools with more potential, BE is limited.

Reaction Score

If that's the case you should start clocking hours on your conference mates' boards.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Funny thing observing PC and UConn guys hitting one another! I'm reserving my resentment to ESPN, Pitt, Cuse, ND and the ACC in that order. ESPN had the power over two conferences, the ACC and the BE. The BE contract was ending and ESPN arranged to destroy a conference with history to come out ahead in monies they would pay to both the ACC and the BE by destroying the BE. Pitt voted against the contract offer of ESPN right at the same time the ACC proposed they join. ND did also but they didn't jump ship until the game was over. Same with the Catholic schools, Ville and WV. The ACC was in survival mode.

The big three who killed a great conference were ESPN, Pitt and Cuse. I bear no ill will to PC or St. Johns or whomever choses, as a fan, to antagonize us. That is similar to focusing on a few mosquitoes buzzing in the bedroom when the real culprits are the termites who destroyed your house.

UConn's demise was Jeff Hathaway, Jeff Hathaway, Jeff Hathaway and JC's health.

Reaction Score
According to the BE, Creighton is PC's new "protected rival". That makes sense.

I wonder if dmac80 has found their board yet?

Reaction Score
You left out McDonald's All American Kris Dunn, you left out top 100 players Jalen Lindsey and Brandon Austin, and top 100 transfers Carson Desrosiers and Tyler Harris. In 2 years he's made them a winning program, won a couple NIT games, and brought in 7 top 100 players, and has 2 more 4 stars listing PC in their list of final 4 heading into tomorrow. That's quite an accomplishment from essentially nothing. Keno Davis was fired in disgrace and the program in shambles.
When the word special is thrown out I think of several top 30 recruits, a number of NCAA appearances beyond the sweet 16.
Grabbing top 100 players is nice, but not special yet. Winning a few NIT games is a nice start, for PC, but it is just that, a start, not special.
That's why I suggested you guys give Cooley a few more years before using special to describe Cooley's efforts.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is; you guys refuse to acknowledge a single thing Cooley has done right; yet Ollie is a God for navigating a difficult season. Do you realize the garbage pile Cooley inherited and how far he has brought PC in 2 years. Acknowledging something outside of Stirrs doesn't knock uconn.

Reaction Score
When the word special is thrown out I think of several top 30 recruits, a number of NCAA appearances beyond the sweet 16.
Grabbing top 100 players is nice, but not special yet. Winning a few NIT games is a nice start, for PC, but it is just that, a start, not special.
That's why I suggested you guys give Cooley a few more years before using special to describe Cooley's efforts.
The problem I see for Providence is significant Cooley success will lead to his departure.

Comparing the AAC and Big East is Apples and Oranges.
The AAC is an all sports conference with an emphasis on football.
Basketball if Cinn, and UConn stay will get better and better and continued to be a powerlful influence.
The chief problems with the AAC for us is the lack of regional rivalries,
the long traveling distance between schools,and cultures that have zero in common except football.
The Big East although loosing some of the regionality.Still includes schools with significant commonality including an emphasis on Basketball.
Success of the AAC will have zero to do with the success of the BiG East. Football success will impact basketball success much more than the Big East.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is; you guys refuse to acknowledge a single thing Cooley has done right; yet Ollie is a God for navigating a difficult season. Do you realize the garbage pile Cooley inherited and how far he has brought PC in 2 years. Acknowledging something outside of Stirrs doesn't knock uconn.
Nobody is not acknowledging any of Cooley's accomplishments. It's a very good start. My only suggestion is to wait a few years before a term like special is thrown out.
BTW, Sean, you do love to correct folks on their spelling/grammatical mistakes. The town which UConn resides is spelled Storrs, not"Stirrs. Or were you just "Stirring" up sarcasm, as per usual?

Reaction Score
@AdamZagoria: Gotta give Abu and Terrell credit..24 hours before the presser and most of the coaches involved are in the dark.

It's a toss up right now. For some reason I don't think he has eliminated anyone yet.

Reaction Score
@AdamZagoria: Gotta give Abu and Terrell credit..24 hours before the presser and most of the coaches involved are in the dark.

It's a toss up right now. For some reason I don't think he has eliminated anyone yet.

I've never got the impression that Zagoria is as keyed in as other guys. I know it kind of seems like his AAU camp is leading people on a goose chase but I feel it is down to UF and NC State and UConn and Prov are out.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

Don't be ridiculous, BCU will ALWAYS be a laughingstock.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
timthumb.php

There it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Interesting word choice by Zagoria with "most" of the coaches involved being in the dark. There are four coaches involved, so "most" would mean three. Assuming that was intentional, that would mean that one coach knows something--either that he's in or out.

Reaction Score
Interesting word choice by Zagoria with "most" of the coaches involved being in the dark. There are four coaches involved, so "most" would mean three. Assuming that was intentional, that would mean that one coach knows something--either that he's in or out.
In this case there are 7 coaches and he may have only talked to a couple of the staffs. If none of them knew anything then he drew his conclusion from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom