AMA update on PC board | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AMA update on PC board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NC State finished 9th in the Nation in points per game. Many recruits do prefer an up tempo offense. That is one of the reasons Trevor Lacey left Alabama and is now at NCSU. I agree that Purvis was not a great fit for the offense, but TJ Warren is and he will shine in it this season. As for Kevin Ollie as a coach, there really isnt much of a track record yet to go on. May be outstanding, but that hasnt been proven. Cooley has a much more substantial coaching background at the collegiate level and was often thought of as the mastermind behind Al Skinner at BC during their time together and he did turn Fairfield into a success while there as a head coach.

Gottfried is a dope, can't coach worth ......nice enough guy but he's had great talent at Bama and last year with zero to show for it. Ollie has shown more in one year than he in a pretty good career........it really is that simple! Fairfield was a success? Not sure what the big wins were?

Reaction Score
Cooley won more games every season at Fairfield, started with 13 his first season and progressively 14,17,23 and 25 his last season. As for big wins, every coach at Fairfield since 1980 ended up below .500 during their tenure until Cooley who was 92 and 69 including 25-8 his final year. That is a success for that program.

On to Gottfried, he has won 48 games in his first two seasons at NC State. Our previous coach went five years without an NCAA berth, Gott is two for two. Trust me when I say we are pleased with the improvement. He may not be the best coach in college basketball, but he has turned our program around quickly and has won almost as many conference games in two seasons(20) as Lowe did in five(25).

I have nothing against Kevin Ollie and he may be a great coach on day, but he only has one season under his belt right now. Crowning him as a great coach is a little premature.

Reaction Score
Cooley won more games every season at Fairfield, started with 13 his first season and progressively 14,17,23 and 25 his last season. As for big wins, every coach at Fairfield since 1980 ended up below .500 during their tenure until Cooley who was 92 and 69 including 25-8 his final year. That is a success for that program.

On to Gottfried, he has won 48 games in his first two seasons at NC State. Our previous coach went five years without an NCAA berth, Gott is two for two. Trust me when I say we are pleased with the improvement. He may not be the best coach in college basketball, but he has turned our program around quickly and has won almost as many conference games in two seasons(20) as Lowe did in five(25).

I have nothing against Kevin Ollie and he may be a great coach on day, but he only has one season under his belt right now. Crowning him as a great coach is a little premature.

I think people are referring to Ollie's X and Os. The way he brought players along.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

You have presented a reasonable case in a reasonable way. There must be something wrong with you ;) We know that Ollie is a new coach, but we also know enough about him to know he has shown a lot of signs of being exceptional. He has "it." Whether the "it" he has is the same as what makes someone a truly great college basketball coach will play out over time.

Reaction Score

I agree with TJ Warren when he re-tweeted this on twitter regarding Gottfried:

"That's what happens when you're a great recruiter, but a terrible coach!"- After losing to Wake Forest :)

Reaction Score
How many ranked teams did Ollie beat last year? Same as Cooley.

Lol. Yeah, PC definitely had better wins than Michigan State, Syracuse, and @ Notre Dame. You really are delusional.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

You can't get very far using Sidney Lowe as a baseline, that's like saying somebody's a better hitter than Mario Mendoza.

You'd be in much better shape with the Gottfried argument if we hadn't seen the talent on your team up close and personal last year. You had the potential to be scary good. Tremendous athleticism and all the pieces - good point, sharpshooter, athletes on the wing, stud in Leslie, toughness inside in Howell. Those are pretty much the pieces you need for success. But you lost double digit games and flamed out early. If depth was an issue because kids who would have played transferred, well...that appears to be a continuing problem for Gottfried. If attitude was an issue, again...that's part of the job of a coach.

That was a potentially great mix of players, when you were "on" I really enjoyed watching you play. But a lot of coaches would have done much more with the raw material.

Reaction Score
TJ was being sarcastic, If he had a problem with Gott, why didnt he transfer or go NBA hardship. Would be silly to stay at a place where you do not respect the coach. As for TJ, wait til you see him this year. He has grown an inch or two and cut the baby fat. He will have a great season in the UCLA high post offense.

TJ's intent may have been sarcasm but it was of the situational kind which is almost always used to emphasize an assertion of truth.

The truth in this particular case would be..."Gott" is a terrible basketball coach.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Cooley has a much more substantial coaching background at the collegiate level and was often thought of as the mastermind behind Al Skinner at BC .
Mastermind behind that legendary 247-165 run that landed Skinner that plum gig at Bryant College? He must be so proud.

Reaction Score
Plus Bill Coen (now at Northeastern) has as much of a "mastermind" claim for those same BC teams. He ran the same flex offense at Northeastern that the Dudley/Smith teams ran and did wonders to get that program in the upper tier with VCU and George Mason in the CAA for a spell.

Reaction Score
@jeffborzello: After visiting Florida earlier this week, Abdul-Malik Abu is on NC State's campus today. Likely to choose one of them on Saturday.

Oh well...
3, I saw that too but who the hell is Jeff Borzello? And why should we take his word as gospel?

Reaction Score
Mastermind behind that legendary 247-165 run that landed Skinner that plum gig at Bryant College? He must be so proud.

How quickly did the program go down hill when Cooley was no longer there to help bring in recruits. Like I said, Skinner did not have much success without him(especially after the Cooley recruits moved on). You really just proved my point with the Bryant College reference.

Reaction Score
TJ's intent may have been sarcasm but it was of the situational kind which is almost always used to emphasize an assertion of truth.

The truth in this particular case would be..."Gott" is a terrible basketball coach.

Dont think you have the insider info on NCSU to make that assumption.

Reaction Score
Dont think you have the insider info on NCSU to make that assumption.

I'm not sure why "insider info" is relevant in this case. The "I was being sarcastic" defense is probably just damage control.

Reaction Score
Why are you proud of running another school's offense?

Proud of running John Wooden's offense? you must not be much of a basketball historian to ask that question. Do you know who's advice Wooden sought when initially implementing the high post which has now taken the moniker of 'the UCLA high post offense' ? That's right, NCSU coach at the time, Press Maravich.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why "insider info" is relevant in this case. The "I was being sarcastic" defense is probably just damage control.

Once again, then why is TJ still at NCSU ? Why not bolt like Rodney Purvis if he has misgivings or doubts about the Coach?

Reaction Score
Anyway, I still say AMA to NCSU and that is about all the banter I need for one night.

You guys are well informed and have some interesting opinions. Have a good night.

Reaction Score
3, I saw that too but who the hell is Jeff Borzello? And why should we take his word as gospel?
He's a recruiting analyst for CBS and he's got a good reputation. With that being said I've heard of him leaning to UConn, Florida, and NC State. Nobody really knows where he's going yet its bunch of guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom