AMA update on PC board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AMA update on PC board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because Gottfried can't coach. I would rather see him help PC then go to NC State and be another wasted talent.

HMM, I think Gott has done more with the talent at NCSU than our previous coach did. I am not going to talk down about Providence, but I think NC State is a great option for a forward who can shoot and wants an opportunity to play in the UCLA style offense we run.

As for wasted talent at NCSU, who would that be. CJ Leslie wasted his own talent, not coach Gottfried. What other players underperformed in the last two years. Lorenzo Brown was a 35-40 ranked recruit when he came to NCSU(under Lowe) and was drafted in the second round. Sounds about right when you factor the drafted foreign players into the mix. Gott turned Richard Howell into a first team all ACC player. So what talent "at NCSU" has coach Gottfried wasted in his two years on the job.

Reaction Score
Because Gottfried can't coach. I would rather see him help PC then go to NC State and be another wasted talent.

Agreed. Look what he did with Leslie's and Howell's pro potential.

If these two played for JC/KO they both would have been drafted.

Reaction Score
You do understand the national perception of your coach, right?

I can only go on what I have seen him do at NC State. I didnt follow him or Alabama. I have to rely on what I have seen. I think he has assembled an excellent staff and maybe that is the real difference here. I do know that Gott has accomplished more as a head coach than some of the other coaches in the mix for Abu. Ollie may be great, but he hasnt proven it yet. Same with Cooley. He may turn out to be amazing, but he doesnt have an NCAA appearance as a head coach yet either(and I am a big fan of the way Cooley is rebuilding that Prov. program on the recruiting trail)

Reaction Score
Maybe he's improved since Alabama. He could be better now at NC State, he's been there a short time.

Then again, I don't like the way he whined about other coaches on ESPN. He sounded like he was blaming his disaster at Alabama on others. He needs to look at himself in the mirror.

Purvis said he learned more in a week from Napier than he learned all last year.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Look what he did with Leslie and Howell pro potential.

What was Howell's pro potential. He was never considered a future pro in high school or after his first two years at NCSU. The only reason he even got an NBA tryout is because of the work Gott's staff and the S/C coach put in with him. He was never projected to be in the NBA. Kid is a 6'6 center.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Gottlieb is a good recruiter, but a pure butcher as a coach.

He makes Rick Barnes look like Pete Carill.

Reaction Score
HMM, I think Gott has done more with the talent at NCSU than our previous coach did. I am not going to talk down about Providence, but I think NC State is a great option for a forward who can shoot and wants an opportunity to play in the UCLA style offense we run.

As for wasted talent at NCSU, who would that be. CJ Leslie wasted his own talent, not coach Gottfried. What other players underperformed in the last two years. Lorenzo Brown was a 35-40 ranked recruit when he came to NCSU(under Lowe) and was drafted in the second round. Sounds about right when you factor the drafted foreign players into the mix. Gott turned Richard Howell into a first team all ACC player. So what talent "at NCSU" has coach Gottfried wasted in his two years on the job.
CJ Leslie had the talent to be a top 10 pick coming out of high school IMO. Yes he met have had some problems within himself but isn't it the coaches job to get his players to perform the best they can by pushing the right buttons?

The wasted talent wasn't meant to be at a specific player. I was looking more at the overall team performance. Last year you guys were supposed to win the ACC and be a top five team when you definitely didn't live up to those expectations. You were a one and done in the NCAA tournament. With that being said the year before you guys did do a good job in the tournament and got pretty far. However, he hasn't impressed many people around the country with his coaching abilities at NC State. He's a big name so far due to his recruiting abilities.

Reaction Score
What was Howell's pro potential. He was never considered a future pro in high school or after his first two years at NCSU. The only reason he even got an NBA tryout is because of the work Gott's staff and the S/C coach put in with him. He was never projected to be in the NBA. Kid is a 6'6 center.

In the NBA height Howell is 6'9" and would have gotten a invite to a camp for more than a looksee.
And as 3UCONN mentioned above going into last year CJ was thought to be a first rounder.
For all these recruits getting to the NBA is it. They mostly will play where they get the clearest path.

That is why UCONN should be as attractive as Florida to get AMA.

Reaction Score
I watched every NCSU game last season and I can tell you one thing about CJ. It is his ATTITUDE not his talent. There are always going to be kids who get in there own way far too often. When you watch a kid quit boxing out and then go sulk on the bench with a towel over his head on a regular basis, you will understand what I mean.

As for last season, we certainly underperformed. No depth and 3 freshmen in a 7 man rotation really hurt. We lost our back up big man 'Deshawn Painter' to a family emergency transfer(at least that is what he said), so we were very undermanned at the C/PF position. We also greatly overachieved in Gott's first season. He took a team that had just lost its projected starting point guard and head coach to the NCAA sweet 16. That team had a losing record the season before. He also turned a SG in Lorenzo Brown into an NBA draft pick at the PG position.

Reaction Score
In the NBA height Howell is 6'9" and would have gotten a invite to a camp for more than a looksee.
And as 3UCONN mentioned above going into last year CJ was thought to be a first rounder.
For all these recruits getting to the NBA is it. They mostly will play where they get the clearest path.

That is why UCONN should be as attractive as Florida to get AMA.

Look at Richard Howell's Stats his first two seasons before Gott and his two seasons with Coach Gott and tell me how Gott wasted his talent Richard Howell NCAA Stats

caw

Reaction Score
NCSt and Gottfrieds issues IMO is that he has a system he likes and is fairly inflexible in playing said system. However, in the case of Purvis at the least and maybe others, it's not a system that highlights his players strengths. So while he may recruit well, the recruits weren't really good fits for what he was trying to do.

It's really the fault of Gottfried to recruit that way, based on stars and not fit. It's also the fault of the recruits for believing him or being pushed into that system. With the right types of players (I don't mean attitude but skill sets) his system could be successful.

That's just on the offensive end. On the defensive end he had a good amount to work with last year and was fairly unsuccessful at motivating his kids to play defense well.

He's by no means the worst coach out there but he's behind Donovan, Ollie and maybe Cooley overall. Cooley is the biggest question mark, but I like what I saw out of him last year more than what I saw out of Gottfried.

Gottfried also is just a whiny jerk.

AMA might do well at NCST but he would probably be best utilized at the other three schools. I don't think his skillet is a great fit for Gottfrieds system.

Reaction Score
I watched every NCSU game last season and I can tell you one thing about CJ. It is his ATTITUDE not his talent. There are always going to be kids who get in there own way far too often. When you watch a kid quit boxing out and then go sulk on the bench with a towel over his head on a regular basis, you will understand what I mean.

As for last season, we certainly underperformed. No depth and 3 freshmen in a 7 man rotation really hurt. We lost our back up big man 'Deshawn Painter' to a family emergency transfer(at least that is what he said), so we were very undermanned at the C/PF position. We also greatly overachieved in Gott's first season. He took a team that had just lost its projected starting point guard and head coach to the NCAA sweet 16. That team had a losing record the season before. He also turned a SG in Lorenzo Brown into an NBA draft pick at the PG position.
That's funny because last time we were in that situation we won a national championship...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Gottlieb is a good recruiter, but a pure butcher as a coach.

He makes Rick Barnes look like Pete Carill.
That's a hell of a statement. Because you think Barnes sucks bad as a "coach".

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
AMA might do well at NCST but he would probably be best utilized at the other three schools. I don't think his skillet is a great fit for Gottfrieds system.

Maybe his skillet would be better at Johnson and Wales. Then Cooley could still get to see him play.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
NCSt and Gottfrieds issues IMO is that he has a system he likes and is fairly inflexible in playing said system. However, in the case of Purvis at the least and maybe others, it's not a system that highlights his players strengths. So while he may recruit well, the recruits weren't really good fits for what he was trying to do.

It's really the fault of Gottfried to recruit that way, based on stars and not fit. It's also the fault of the recruits for believing him or being pushed into that system. With the right types of players (I don't mean attitude but skill sets) his system could be successful.

That's just on the offensive end. On the defensive end he had a good amount to work with last year and was fairly unsuccessful at motivating his kids to play defense well.

He's by no means the worst coach out there but he's behind Donovan, Ollie and maybe Cooley overall. Cooley is the biggest question mark, but I like what I saw out of him last year more than what I saw out of Gottfried.

Gottfried also is just a whiny jerk.

NC State finished 9th in the Nation in points per game. Many recruits do prefer an up tempo offense. That is one of the reasons Trevor Lacey left Alabama and is now at NCSU. I agree that Purvis was not a great fit for the offense, but TJ Warren is and he will shine in it this season. As for Kevin Ollie as a coach, there really isnt much of a track record yet to go on. May be outstanding, but that hasnt been proven. Cooley has a much more substantial coaching background at the collegiate level and was often thought of as the mastermind behind Al Skinner at BC during their time together and he did turn Fairfield into a success while there as a head coach.

Reaction Score
@jeffborzello: After visiting Florida earlier this week, Abdul-Malik Abu is on NC State's campus today. Likely to choose one of them on Saturday.

Oh well...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@jeffborzello: After visiting Florida earlier this week, Abdul-Malik Abu is on NC State's campus today. Likely to choose one of them on Saturday.

Oh well...
Maybe he'll be at UConn tomorrow... not over until it's over...

Reaction Score
really strange, putting UConn aside for a minute, Cooley recruited him longer than anyone, and now NC State stands among the final 2?? I could understand if this was UNC or Duke, but NC State?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
really strange, putting UConn aside for a minute, Cooley recruited him longer than anyone, and now NC State stands among the final 2?? I could understand if this was UNC or Duke, but NC State?
Anytime you can play at the 3rd best (possibly 4th best) school in North Carolina you jump on that opportunity!

Reaction Score

I don't think he's a horrible coach. Not great but decent.

Reaction Score
Just checked a couple things:

Florida on ESPN/2/CBS: 17 times this year
UConn on ESPN/2/CBS: 16 times this year
Providence on FS1: 14 times this year
NC State on ESPN/2/CBS: 4 times this year

You can't go wrong in terms of TV exposure with any of the first 3 schools.

He can prepare to get buried if he chooses NC State. Barely any bigtime TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom