AMA update on PC board | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AMA update on PC board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mastermind behind that legendary 247-165 run that landed Skinner that plum gig at Bryant College? He must be so proud.

Cooley was running Fairfield by the time Al's demise at BC came about. If you can't admit that Cooley is doing something special at PC; you are the only one.

Reaction Score
Cooley is doing something special? He looks like a great recruiter but I want to see some on court success first. He could just be another Gottfried type.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Since neither side is going to budge, let's come to a compromise. Cooley is obviously putting together some strong recruiting classes, and the way his team turned things around last year halfway through the season tells me he can coach at least a little bit. So those of you saying Providence sucks and always will are off base.

However, sean, using the word 'special' here is a little nutty. Providence hasn't made an NCAA tournament since their entire roster was practically in diapers, and as much as I liked last year's squad, they only made the final four of the NIT. That's a decent accomplishment, but let's slow down with calling this special.

Reaction Score
I've learned quite a bit from this thread:

1. Wow, has Mark Gottfried landed at the right fan base. I truly didn't realize there were people out there who would defend his coaching ability.

2. PC and NCSU need to be rivals. One has a non existent rivalry with North Carolina, the other has a non existent rivalry with us. Let's get these 2 crazy kids together already.

3. I want my next job to be replacing Sidney Lowe at whatever he's doing right now.

Things I didn't learn:

1. Anything significant about the circus that is AMA's recruitment.

Reaction Score
Prov didn't make the NIT Final 4, they lost to Baylor in the game before that...I'm not going to call that an "Elite" 8.

Reaction Score
Special. Now that is funny. PC got beat by UConn both times last season, hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2004, and Cooley had a career record of 13-23 in the Big East. Special ??? Wow, just wow.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Special. Now that is funny. PC got beat by UConn both times last season, hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2004, and Cooley had a career record of 13-23 in the Big East. Special ??? Wow, just wow.
"Special" is what Providence fans need to say, or they would have to face up to their recent history. It's their way of holding onto an iota of hope in the midst of the bleak reality of wasting years of life rooting for a school that has accomplished nothing.

Reaction Score

Eh, we've heard this before. You have to do more. We've seen these exact posts over the years against and again from other fanbases. They are legion. One year Cal-Berkeley grabbed Isaiah Fox and Jamal Sampson. a guy named Braun was supposed to be the next Coach K. Heard it from Iowa fans on this board and St. John's and Villanova too.

Ya gotta wait to see what the does with the talent.

Reaction Score
Cooley was running Fairfield by the time Al's demise at BC came about. If you can't admit that Cooley is doing something special at PC; you are the only one.
Special??? Look, the guy recruited Ledo and he never played a game for PC. He just recruited Chuckwu, but he's #65, or so. He'll need time. Let's not put Cooley in the HOF just yet.
Admittedly, he's better than Welsh & Keno, so far. But special??? Not just yet. Give him 2-3 more years.

Reaction Score
Cooley is grabbing 4-star kids from CT right from under UCONN's nose. That's a big part of what many PC fans consider special.

Meanwhile, K. Ollie is settling for the top player from NYC along with 5-star kids from L.A. and NC.

Reaction Score
I think Cooley's done a pretty good job there so far. Things don't change instantly. Took JC a few years here.

I actually thought Keno Davis did a great job at Drake - better than Cooley did at Fairfield (more of an uphill climb at Drake to pass Creighton and Wichita State to win the Valley, and Cooley lost his big games). But that doesn't necessarily translate to a head coaching job in an unfamiliar area, as we saw. Cooley's ability to win big games remains to be seen - but getting to the point where you actually play in big games would be progress. And he can't possibly be worse than Tim Welsh, who won one postseason game (a BET opening round game) in 10 years.

Reaction Score
Cooley is grabbing 4-star kids from CT right from under UCONN's nose. That's a big part of what many PC fans consider special.

Meanwhile, K. Ollie is settling for the top player from NYC along with 5-star kids from L.A. and NC.

Oh, you mean like comments like this?

It's why I laugh at UCONN fans sometimes ... They recruit "nationally," and PC recruits "locally." The problem is, while they are chasing all of these Top 50 guys across the country, they are missing out on fantastic players right under their nose. IMHO, if you look at the UCONN roster and the PC roster at this point in time and going forward into the future, is UCONN much better at this point in time? So go, chase all of these top 25 types who you might be lucky to hit on one of, and Cooley can keep making in-roads with the Top 75 players in our backyard. And in the end, UCONN might get the best player in each class going forward, but PC should continue to have more depth going forward at this pace. You can look at a lot of guys on the UCONN roster and say, where would they even play here? Nolan, Olander, Giffey, Wolf? Those guys are like 9th, 10th man tops sort of players. They would all be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart here. UCONN will still win because their Top 4 players are fantastic, but they aren't recruiting at the level that once were, and that should scare them, even if just a little bit.

Funny stuff. Giffey is tearing it up against NBA players in a big FIBA tournament, but he can't get off the bench at the Dunk. Talk about delusional beyond all belief.

Reaction Score
Oh, you mean like comments like this?

Funny stuff. Giffey is tearing it up against NBA players in a big FIBA tournament, but he can't get off the bench at the Dunk. Talk about delusional beyond all belief.
There is so much gold in there, even beyond the Giffey comment. Posts like those are why I enjoy reading the PC board. There are just so many laughs.

The guy is right though, we're not recruiting at the level we once were. Calhoun had 9 MCDAA in his entire tenure, KO has 2 in 1 year. At least.

Reaction Score
A lot of the local AAU guys tend to make buffoons out of themselves sometimes. Remember that guy who was advising Maurice Harkless? The guy basically blasted the program in early 2011---same with another guy last year. The Harkless guy criticized the style of play. Next thing you know, they win a national championship.

Reaction Score

In other words FriarJ, its hopeless give up. I mean whats the point of being a fan without hoping for a better future? PC can compete, they've beaten number 1 teams, they've been to two final 4s, they've been to the elite 8, and all this in the old BE conf. They are a school of 3800 students and have shown they can compete. Overall the program has been bad these past 10 years, mediocre before that, but just give up is what they're saying.

Meanwhile, this is what I posted on scout, and I'll repeat it here for the delusional:

What UCONN fans may or may not realize is that Calhoun was the program. Now that he is gone and his players will graduate out, KO has to run the program and recruit and win like Calhoun did. Will he? Maybe. If he does and wins a NC there then that would vault UCONN into the blue bloods of College BB. But what if he doesn't? What if they regress now that they no longer have Calhoun as the Xs and Os coach and the recruting lure, and now that they are in a joke of a conference? Very well could happen. It will take them down a few levels that's for sure. On the other hand at PC, a program that's always been an underdog and has been really down for about a decade now, you have Ed Cooley who is proving so far, to be a recruiting monster locally. What if he starts winning on the floor? Could very well be a flip flop of regional power. I know right now that sounds delusional, but its possible. Too bad UCONN isn't playing us anymore. I wonder if they'll reschedule us if we improve, or if they'll hide like they did from Calipari's UMASS?

Reaction Score
Special??? Look, the guy recruited Ledo and he never played a game for PC. He just recruited Chuckwu, but he's #65, or so. He'll need time. Let's not put Cooley in the HOF just yet.
Admittedly, he's better than Welsh & Keno, so far. But special??? Not just yet. Give him 2-3 more years.

You left out McDonald's All American Kris Dunn, you left out top 100 players Jalen Lindsey and Brandon Austin, and top 100 transfers Carson Desrosiers and Tyler Harris. In 2 years he's made them a winning program, won a couple NIT games, and brought in 7 top 100 players, and has 2 more 4 stars listing PC in their list of final 4 heading into tomorrow. That's quite an accomplishment from essentially nothing. Keno Davis was fired in disgrace and the program in shambles.

Reaction Score
In other words FriarJ, its hopeless give up. I mean whats the point of being a fan without hoping for a better future? PC can compete, they've beaten number 1 teams, they've been to two final 4s, they've been to the elite 8, and all this in the old BE conf. They are a school of 3800 students and have shown they can compete. Overall the program has been bad these past 10 years, mediocre before that, but just give up is what they're saying.

Meanwhile, this is what I posted on scout, and I'll repeat it here for the delusional:

What UCONN fans may or may not realize is that Calhoun was the program. Now that he is gone and his players will graduate out, KO has to run the program and recruit and win like Calhoun did. Will he? Maybe. If he does and wins a NC there then that would vault UCONN into the blue bloods of College BB. But what if he doesn't? What if they regress now that they no longer have Calhoun as the Xs and Os coach and the recruting lure, and now that they are in a joke of a conference? Very well could happen. It will take them down a few levels that's for sure. On the other hand at PC, a program that's always been an underdog and has been really down for about a decade now, you have Ed Cooley who is proving so far, to be a recruiting monster locally. What if he starts winning on the floor? Could very well be a flip flop of regional power. I know right now that sounds delusional, but its possible. Too bad UCONN isn't playing us anymore. I wonder if they'll reschedule us if we improve, or if they'll hide like they did from Calipari's UMASS?
Out of all the things PC fans think about the UCONN program that give me laughs, the funniest one to me is that you guys have this odd notion that our programs are on opposite sides of some scale, where your improvement will result in our decline, or vise versa.

Our programs are not George Costanza and Elaine Benes. It's not how it works.

Reaction Score
Sure. Both programs could succeed, they could flip flop, or the status quo could remain. The latter seems to be perceived as inevitable here. While I get the justifiable "show me" attitude about PC, the inevitability of UCONN's continued success is far from a given. I could very easily see you guys slide quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom