Addition by subtraction!? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Addition by subtraction!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's going to be a long summer. Thank God for beer, girls in bikinis and other distractions.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
I'm shocked by your patience in explaining this concept over and over. This is one of the dumbest points that keeps getting made here. Boatright was recruited as a PG and he played a lot of PG. That he also played SG when Napier was here doesn't change that. His teammates failed to execute given a great many opportunities to do so. That's not on Boat.
You can make the argument that Boatright wasn't as good a passer as Napier, but you can't say he wasn't a good passer.

It wasn't his strongest attribute, but it wasn't a weakness.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Love me some Boat but I'm sorry he was not a true point, good passer or team leader. His body language sucked this year, and I don't think he put any of his teammates in great position. There are games where Dham threw more alley oops to Brimah than Boat did in his whole career.
I wonder what you would have said if you didn't love him?

Reaction Score
I will put this as simply as possible - we will be better with Jalen Adams/Sterling Gibbs than we would be with Boat/Samuel. Addition by subtraction?

Reaction Score
I will put this as simply as possible - we will be better with Jalen Adams/Sterling Gibbs than we would be with Boat/Samuel. Addition by subtraction?

No, that might be true (and I hope it is), but it's not what addition by subtraction means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, that might be true, but it's not what addition by subtraction means.

I was just having fun at the end of the post.

Someone said would we be better with Boat right? Well it depends right because you can't just throw him on this existing roster as we see it today because that wouldn't happen, ever. Hypothetically sure I guess but makes no sense so you need to look at the reality in order to comment on if we'd actually be "better".

So we added Jalen and Sterling and we subtracted Boat and Terrence. We're better today than we were in March is all I'm saying. I get what you are saying and I agree Boat shouldn't be mentioned in this meaning of the phrase, he meant way too much to the program. But based on personnel moves I like where we are this coming year that's all no biggie.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why are only Adams and Gibbs up for debate in this thread? UConn also adds Enoch and Miller. All 4 probably get significant minutes. There is very little doubt in my mind that the void left by Boatright/Samuel/Lubin will be aptly filled by Adams/Gibbs/Miller/Enoch + the natural progression of existing player.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Gibbs was not better than Boat last year and there is really no reason to think he will be better than Boat this year.
Adams will be better than Samuel.
Neither is addition by subtraction. The team will not be improved by simply having Boat leave. That would be rediculous.

Reaction Score
Did anyone in their right minds say we would be better because Boat is gone? I missed that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone in their right minds say we would be better because Boat is gone? I missed that.

A few people, but none of them were in their right mind.

Mostly it is misunderstanding what "addition by subtraction" means. (i.e. a team improves (addition) by getting rid of someone (subtraction)).

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, there is an old adage in sports - don't blueprint this season off of last season. Every year the guys are somewhat different, chemistry unknown and the competition has regrouped.
I liked Boat and got to meet his large family and they were very nice. He played hard and had a passion to win - did he always execute like I would have liked; of course not. But, big picture he did a lot. The same crew that dumped on AD a few years ago are back at it.

At any rate, some have asked me to break down next year - it's too early yet. I will say this both Adams and Enoch can shoot. And if you have followed my posts I don't say that about a lot of guys.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, there is an old adage in sports - don't blueprint this season off of last season. Every year the guys are somewhat different, chemistry unknown and the competition has regrouped.
I liked Boat and got to meet his large family and they were very nice. He played hard and had a passion to win - did he always execute like I would have liked; of course not. But, big picture he did a lot. The same crew that dumped on AD a few years ago are back at it.

At any rate, some have asked me to break down next year - it's too early yet. I will say this both Adams and Enoch can shoot. And if you have followed my posts I don't say that about a lot of guys.

We all really appreciate it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
fair to say the boneyard would stand to benefit from a little addition by subtraction if ya know what i mean

No, @msgordon , I can't imagine who you were talking about.

Reaction Score
We should track "those people" down!

Well let's think who would ask @Chief00 for his breakdown. Coach Calhoun, Coach Ollie, Drummond, Boatright (and his large family, whom I hear are very nice btw), maybe a UConn b!tch or two.. Just the usual people who seek Chief's guidance and counsel, no biggie.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kalid L Amen

Sorry, just having some fun. In truth, I can't spell either.

screen-shot-2012-06-19-at-13627-pm.png_630x442.jpg

Reaction Score
That picture is legit! Lance Mountain, Tony Hawk, Steve Cabellero, Tommy Guerro (?). The rest I can't name. In search of Chin I believe...the Powell Peralta crew in their hay day. I'll have to do a Google search now. Good lookin out and quite simply an awesome find! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom