Addition by subtraction!? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Addition by subtraction!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one thing this team lacks (IMHO) is a TRUE pg with the ability to score in key spots... We had a 'tweener' in Boatright (Scoring SG trapped in a PG's body that developed a lot of PG skills but is probably still moreso a SG)... Bring to the forefont Purvis and now we bring in Jalen Adams along side him... both kids are similar to Boatright but bigger/longer... Hopefully both of their PG skills develop enough this year for us to make another Nat'l Championship run... IMHO losing Samuels kind hurt our backcourt... kid could handle the basketball enough to keep us in games, and he was a bigger body and strong... Hopefully Handsome Cassell can step to the forefront and help fill that void in a huge way... He's got a that old man PG mentality.. We need him to not only spot up for an open 3 on the baseline... do some of the stuff his daddy did...
.. and, can't forget about Sterling Gibbs... He'll help ease the pain of the Boatright loss a bunch... but he's gotta be in the gym NOW with the other players to find out who he meshes with this team... He's a one and done with a ton of experience. If he can have the kind of impact that other 5th year transfers had with our program prepare for another magical ride folks...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright was a supremely talented point guard, though I never really felt he was the same kind of leader that Shabazz Napier or Kemba Walker was. You need more than pure talent to lead a team to an NCAA title. Could Sterling Gibbs be that guy? Given his history, it seems unlikely. Could Jalen Adams be that guy? Quite possibly, but almost certainly not as a freshman.

So that being said, I'd have to say that there's no addition by subtraction here, because we did not get that same level of Shabazz-level leadership in return for Boatright's pure skills. Though you could make the case Gibbs/Adams is probably an equal substitution for Boatright/Samuels.
DHam hopefully has been working on his game. Gibbs is a lot closer to Boat than Samuels is to Adams.
So, I think there will be three players capable of directing the offense, plus play making ability coming out of the PF position.
Huge improvement.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hey boat was good but I believe Gibbs and Adams being surrounded by a more experienced deeper team benefit.
Proclamations such as the one you are making are silly. In a scientific world you would be hammered. Keep Samuel and Boatright, Lubin, just add Miller and no one else, have one more year of experience with everyone and what would happen? A much better team most likely. Too many variables are changing to determine your suggestion.

I'm excited by next years team. On paper Ryan was replaced by someone his equal. Jalen is potentially an upgrade over Terrance but he's still a freshman to a player who would have been a junior and two years of college experience is why I say potentially. Talent wise there is no comparison. No way to know the benefit of Steve vs. the Rock although Enoch has a height advantage. The big ? will be if Shonn provides the athleticism and bb IQ at the 4 which no one last season demonstrated that combo. On paper he seems to provide that. But paper and reality are two different things.

I am very excited about this years team. I'll just wait to see if they can gel.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Is it true he scored over 100 points in a game in Canada?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Regardless of the addition by subtraction BS - I know what he was trying to get at but my biggest concern is WHO in this group of talented individuals will be the LEADER of the team.
All champions have a leader (besides KO).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think by replacing our two guards by subtracting boat and Samuels and adding Gibbs and Adams our team Benifets this year when you look at the other additions in miller and Enoch.
It's called replacement. Addition by subtraction is what Duke did when Coach K kicked Rasheed Sulaimon off the team and effectively out of school.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Regardless of the addition by subtraction BS - I know what he was trying to get at but my biggest concern is WHO in this group of talented individuals will be the LEADER of the team.
All champions have a leader (besides KO).
Hamilton and Purvis. Feel better now? ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would the 2015-16 team be better if Boat was on it? No doubt, yes. Hence, it's not addition by subtraction.

Reaction Score
Love me some Boat but I'm sorry he was not a true point, good passer or team leader. His body language sucked this year, and I don't think he put any of his teammates in great position. There are games where Dham threw more alley oops to Brimah than Boat did in his whole career.

Reaction Score
Instead of who?

I would say instead of almost anybody.

Boatright is a Husky all time great. I don't see anyone as good as him on the team next season, not Sterling, not Purvis, not Hamilton.

While Hamilton has a lot more pro potential, I don't think he's at Boatright's level yet on the court.

Reaction Score
Why is it necessary to replace someone in a hypothetical? There's room on the roster, if he theoretically had eligibility.

Because if you have Boat then I'm just guessing Sterling Gibbs never comes right?

I like what we have coming in and think both Gibbs and the unproven Adams will fill his spot in a very worthy fashion. So in that case ask you why is it necessary to even have this hypothetical?

Reaction Score
Because if you have Boat then I'm just guessing Sterling Gibbs never comes right?

I like what we have coming in and think both Gibbs and the unproven Adams will fill his spot in a very worthy fashion. So in that case ask you why is it necessary to even have this hypothetical?

It's for the purpose of evaluating the "addition by subtraction" description. Typically this is only applied to situations where a player leaves who had an attitude or chemistry problem, regardless of their skill level.

Most people would object to the characterization of Boatright that way.

Reaction Score
It's for the purpose of evaluating the "addition by subtraction" description. Typically this is only applied to situations where a player leaves who had an attitude or chemistry problem, regardless of their skill level.

Most people would object to the characterization of Boatright that way.

I'm shocked by your patience in explaining this concept over and over.

Love me some Boat but I'm sorry he was not a true point, good passer or team leader. His body language sucked this year, and I don't think he put any of his teammates in great position. There are games where Dham threw more alley oops to Brimah than Boat did in his whole career.

This is one of the dumbest points that keeps getting made here. Boatright was recruited as a PG and he played a lot of PG. That he also played SG when Napier was here doesn't change that. His teammates failed to execute given a great many opportunities to do so. That's not on Boat.

Reaction Score
What we have here is a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase "addition by subtraction."
Are you shocked? Multiple people are STILL calling TSam "Samuels," for no apparent reason. We've known the guy like 3 years now.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This is one of the dumbest points that keeps getting made here. Boatright was recruited as a PG and he played a lot of PG. That he also played SG when Napier was here doesn't change that. His teammates failed to execute given a great many opportunities to do so. That's not on Boat.
Yes but his body language cost us at least a few baskets per game.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Wow, the amount of passive aggressive bashing (and also some blatant bashing) of Boat is amazing (though this is the Boneyard after all so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised). Boat is an all time great who was a key piece to a championship. This last year he didn't have consistent support from any else on the team. That's not on him.

All the new pieces are great, but that doesn't change the fact that UConn is still going to miss Boat. A lot.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
This might be one of your dumbest posts ever. Then again you were the guy who said UConn had a 50% chance to repeat and stood by that statement so maybe this isn't your dumbest post ever. But it's still really, really dumb.

Reaction Score
The original post is subtraction by addition!

With the addition of this thread you have subtracted from us adding post to other threads that are worthy of our time. Like pizza for example.

Reaction Score
Do people not know what addition by subtraction means? It simply means by subtracting a player (Boat) we would actually be better (addition) all other things constant. Saying that last year's team would have been better without Boat is what addition by subtraction is (We would have lost 20-25 games easy). The fact that we added Gibbs/Adams/Miller would have have no effect. You can't say that we are better this year, because we added these players. That would be addition by addition. Yes the players we have coming in outweigh the players leaving, but addition by subtraction it is not.

Reaction Score
This might be one of your dumbest posts ever. Then again you were the guy who said UConn had a 50% chance to repeat and stood by that statement so maybe this isn't your dumbest post ever. But it's still really, really dumb.

I'll never live down the 50% chance to repeat statement. But then again when you win 2 to championships in 4 years it's probably not the craziest thing I've posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom