Addition by subtraction!? | The Boneyard

Addition by subtraction!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Loved boat and pray he's a first to early second round pick!samuels provided a spark off the bench we needed to win our forth title. But?! I feel the addition of Adams and Gibbs coupled with Rodney and hamelton give us a better chance at winning along with the addition of miller. Although boat and Samuels will be missed,I feel this years team has the potential to be special if everyone plays to there ability.

Reaction Score
Jaybo said:
Loved boat and pray he's a first to early second round pick!samuels provided a spark off the bench we needed to win our forth title. But?! I feel the addition of Adams and Gibbs coupled with Rodney and hamelton give us a better chance at winning along with the addition of miller. Although boat and Samuels will be missed,I feel this years team has the potential to be special if everyone plays to there ability.

You don't seem to understand what the phrase addition by subtraction means. That means you think we'd be better simply by getting rid of Boat/Samuel and adding nobody. It's an insult. Replacing them with three different guys and concluding we'll be better is something else entirely.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's addition by addition. A great UConn player moved on to his next challenge and KO has added what looks like great talent to a maturing group already here. Nothing is gained by focusing on who used up eligibility and who transferred in that way.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
You don't seem to understand what the phrase addition by subtraction means. That means you think we'd be better simply by getting rid of Boat/Samuel and adding nobody. It's an insult. Replacing them with three different guys and concluding we'll be better is something else entirely.

I think by replacing our two guards by subtracting boat and Samuels and adding Gibbs and Adams our team Benifets this year when you look at the other additions in miller and Enoch.

Reaction Score
I think by replacing our two guards by subtracting boat and Samuels and adding Gibbs and Adams our team Benifets this year when you look at the other additions in miller and Enoch.

I can't tell if this is a serious post, but the best part will be when he responds to this post by just restating his thesis.

Reaction Score
I think what scared the fan base looking forward to next season was the thought of us having the same exact team minus Boatright. Thankfully that was not the case and anybody who watched this team last season could see that the roster needed an upgrade. Heres how I look at it...Boatright graduated, and with the transfers we essentially replaced Samuel with Gibbs, and Lubin with Miller. Then we add two Freshman in Adams and Enoch. We would have been in serious trouble if we didnt add Gibbs or Miller because the roster would have been very short

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

G + A - B - S +b(x) = Better when the sum of G + A - B - S +b(x) is added to M + E.

b = Benefits
x = Who --- knows what he's talking about

On the surface, it looks like Professor Jaybo is just a wing nut. However, look deeper.

Ryan Boatright and Terrence Samuel add up to 372 pounds worth of guard.

We're losing those 372 pounds.

But, Jalen Adams and Sterling Gibbs are 376 pounds of guard.

We're up four pounds of guard over last season.

And we're losing Rock's 260 pounds, but replacing that with Enoch and Miller's combined 445 pounds and you quickly come to the conclusion that we have added significantly through subtraction. We're like 189 pounds more than we were last year.

That's just science. And math, I guess.

Reaction Score
G + A - B - S +b(x) = Better when the sum of G + A - B - S +b(x) is added to M + E.

b = Benefits
x = Who --- knows what he's talking about

On the surface, it looks like Professor Jaybo is just a wing nut. However, look deeper.

Ryan Boatright and Terrence Samuel add up to 372 pounds worth of guard.

We're losing those 372 pounds.

But, Jalen Adams and Sterling Gibbs are 376 pounds of guard.

We're up four pounds of guard over last season.

And we're losing Rock's 260 pounds, but replacing that with Enoch and Miller's combined 445 pounds and you quickly come to the conclusion that we have added significantly through subtraction. We're like 189 pounds more than we were last year.

That's just science. And math, I guess.

This post + "Samuels" + "Hamelton" + "Benifits" = My head hurts :confused::confused::confused:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jaybo you've been a good poster, but my god. I thought you were chap or huskyfandan.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why is it that every off season, the Boneyard feels the need to rationalize how will be better off and much more of a team after losing our best player? Seen it with Kemba, Napier and now Boat.

I think we're going to be really good next season and may end up being better than last year but it has nothing to do with losing Boat (or TSam).

Reaction Score
We're gonna get on Jaybo for spelling huh? The additions and subtractions likely give us a better chance as a team but no blame can be placed on Boat of course, and TSam helped us to a title so he carries that forever, even though he couldn't make a 3 in an empty gym, which I think ultimately led to his subtraction, as the PT writing was on the wall for him. KO knew he had to upgrade our talent level and on paper it seems like he did it. Are the new players scrimmaging in Storrs yet? Would love a report.

Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright was a supremely talented point guard, though I never really felt he was the same kind of leader that Shabazz Napier or Kemba Walker was. You need more than pure talent to lead a team to an NCAA title. Could Sterling Gibbs be that guy? Given his history, it seems unlikely. Could Jalen Adams be that guy? Quite possibly, but almost certainly not as a freshman.

So that being said, I'd have to say that there's no addition by subtraction here, because we did not get that same level of Shabazz-level leadership in return for Boatright's pure skills. Though you could make the case Gibbs/Adams is probably an equal substitution for Boatright/Samuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom