Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To have totally accurate discussions of height- which are sure to come- we will need exact identification of footwear also. If I can get that, I will make the run to shoe stores, or order each on Amazon. Then I will micrometer the width or "heighth" of each shoe. And then we can really "discuss" these kids heights in much more detail and have a truly meaningful discussion for maybe a month or so in June or July or August. If u can PM me that info, I will handle the rest!
Don't want to rain on your parade, but we are going to need a few other things ...
1. Socks - significant variation in thickness and of course we need accurate weight measurements as well to judge both the sock and shoe compressions per kilogram.
2. While I am sure the pavers tried to make the area they are standing relatively flat, I would expect they also have planned for drainage and therefore the surface they are standing on will have some slope in the direction of the nearest sewer grate. We need volunteers to do a proper site survey.
3. Looking at the background it would also appear that the photographer was not using a self leveling tripod and the camera was not in fact level at the instant of exposure. Perhaps our math/engineering members could work out the calculation to determine the distortion per foot of distance from the camera to the subjects.

This is not as simple an issue as your truly naive plan to simply measure footwear! Hmmph! This is the reason we keep having these disputes, people trying to cut corners! :eek::cool:

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Good lord people. Here's my 2 cents: I went fishing around for some youtube video of our recruits and the first one I found was on Samuelson and it started with her talking about wearing #12 for the U-16 (18?) team last summer and she wore that because that's Tarausi's number.

I'd say that's a good sign.

Candice Wiggins was also Skylar Diggins' favorite player in high school... And we all know how that turned out.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not to hijack a thread but could you imagine if Diggins had went to Stanford with the Ogwumikes??? WOW!

Reaction Score
She would have a Stanford degree and no national championships?
And for a lot of would-be WCBB players that is a more than fulfilling achievement. Not all of these kids want to win national championships or go to Final Fours. Sure they all say that in interviews, because that is practically the politically correct thing to say, but not all of them actually mean it. There are lots of variables that go into the decision of where a recruit ends up, and I think a lot of people just take it for granted that the best players have at the top of their checklist win national championships, become the best player possible, then everything else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is a "great" picture of De'Janae Boykin (from left), Napheesa Collier, Duke verbal Haley Gorecki and Katie Lou Samuelson outside UConn's new practice facility construction site. This photo could prove helpful for future Boneyard discussions on height. ;)
View attachment 5888
I think the published heights of 6'0", 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3" look accurate.

Lou reminds me of both Ann Strother and Elena DelleDonne.

Reaction Score

Lou reminds me of both Ann Strother and Elena DelleDonne.
Would love to have Samuelson on this team in 2015. From the video I've seen of her, she's real smooth on the court, fast trigger, can score a number of ways and isn't just going to chuck up 3s all day long. She claims to have a weakness when it comes to playing defense, and I know just the place and coaches where they specialize in such things :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And for a lot of would-be WCBB players that is a more than fulfilling achievement. Not all of these kids want to win national championships or go to Final Fours. Sure they all say that in interviews, because that is practically the politically correct thing to say, but not all of them actually mean it. There are lots of variables that go into the decision of where a recruit ends up, and I think a lot of people just take it for granted that the best players have at the top of their checklist win national championships, become the best player possible, then everything else.
Yeah, because we all know ND is a second class school. :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Don't want to rain on your parade, but we are going to need a few other things ...
1. Socks - significant variation in thickness and of course we need accurate weight measurements as well to judge both the sock and shoe compressions per kilogram.
2. While I am sure the pavers tried to make the area they are standing relatively flat, I would expect they also have planned for drainage and therefore the surface they are standing on will have some slope in the direction of the nearest sewer grate. We need volunteers to do a proper site survey.
3. Looking at the background it would also appear that the photographer was not using a self leveling tripod and the camera was not in fact level at the instant of exposure. Perhaps our math/engineering members could work out the calculation to determine the distortion per foot of distance from the camera to the subjects.

This is not as simple an issue as your truly naive plan to simply measure footwear! Hmmph! This is the reason we keep having these disputes, people trying to cut corners! :eek::cool:
Uc... Let the games begin!!!! :)

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Just read the article they just posted re KLS on ESPN- and her two coaches both figure it is really down to N Dame and UConn already. She will make her decision in or before November. My feeling was it wasn't going to be Stanford all along. And both of them are guessing. but it appears she wants to be on a National Champion with a great coach. My bet is that these coaches are probably right. Just a gut feeling.

Reaction Score
Just read the article they just posted re KLS on ESPN- and her two coaches both figure it is really down to N Dame and UConn already. She will make her decision in or before November. My feeling was it wasn't going to be Stanford all along. And both of them are guessing. but it appears she wants to be on a National Champion with a great coach. My bet is that these coaches are probably right. Just a gut feeling.
Well in that video that was posted of her, she did say the schools on her list were UConn, ND, Stanford, UCLA, Louisville, and Kentucky. Perhaps unintentionally let on as to her order of preference?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well in that video that was posted of her, she did say the schools on her list were UConn, ND, Stanford, UCLA, Louisville, and Kentucky. Perhaps unintentionally let on as to her order of preference?
Yes, that's it. Yay!!!! She's coming to Uconn!!!!!

Reaction Score
Yes, that's it. Yay!!!! She's coming to Uconn!!!!!
I would love to have her come to UConn. If Boykin comes with her, we're gonna have a lot of fun about three years from now.

Reaction Score
I would love to have her come to UConn. If Boykin comes with her, we're gonna have a lot of fun about three years from now.
The next couple of years might not be so bad either, might have some fun during them also!:)

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I like that Stanford doesn't necessarily look like the destination. The sister's statements also sound like it isn't going to be Stanford. i think she wants to win NC's also. This may be a dogfight with ND!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
While my post wasn't meant to be a commentary on student athletes' desires and motivations, it sure looked to me like Skylar Diggins wanted to win a national championship really bad. As for student athletes in general, some want it more than others -- so what.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would not count Stanford out. Uconn and ND can be tempting but when it comes down to decision time Stanford could still win the day.
Her sister flirted with the idea of Uconn, and Chiney was very tempted, but ... Not trying to rain on our parade here, just being realistic.
I will say the having SNY broadcast all our games and them having a national footprint has got to be a great bonus for recruiting 'family and friends' from distant parts. Parents want to attend games, but knowing that you can watch every one of them when you can maybe only attend a few is a huge plus.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I would not count Stanford out. Uconn and ND can be tempting but when it comes down to decision time Stanford could still win the day.
Her sister flirted with the idea of Uconn, and Chiney was very tempted, but ... Not trying to rain on our parade here, just being realistic.
I will say the having SNY broadcast all our games and them having a national footprint has got to be a great bonus for recruiting 'family and friends' from distant parts. Parents want to attend games, but knowing that you can watch every one of them when you can maybe only attend a few is a huge plus.
I'll give you all that UC- I think this one is going elsewhere still!

Reaction Score

I concur and actually thought the exact same thing, as long as Gorecki is a true 6'0". Would love 6'5" Kalani Brown to be included in that bunch, not just from a height analysis standpoint, but because I am hopeful and just plain greedy for a talented and highly respected true center to be signed for the 2015 class. On the other end of the height spectrum, 5'10," number 2 HG ranked uber guard Asia Durr would be the perfect cherry on top to this talented class... and provide further perspective to future height discussions. But there I go being being greedy again...

Reaction Score
I don't think she goes to Stanford if her goal is to win a National Championship. Next year may be the weakest Stanford team in years and no big star in sight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll give you all that UC- I think this one is going elsewhere still!
I do too, but I would not be surprised at the end if she decided to go to Stanford.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Not to hijack a thread but could you imagine if Diggins had went to Stanford with the Ogwumikes??? WOW!
U r right- and it shows you that no matter how good those talented forwards are, without the back court, they usually aren't able to carry teams like a a good backcourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom