Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn | The Boneyard

Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

How many official visits does she have left to take? Has she taken any? Still, nice to hear she had such a good visit. Hopefully she can see herself winning NC's instead of making it to the final 4, or in some cases, not making it at all! ;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As far as I know, UConn is the only official visit she's taken. I wonder when she'll squeeze the others in. She seems to have a very full schedule.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It wasn't clear from the article whether Adamec had e-mailed her to ask for her reaction to the visit, or something to that effect. If so, then the reply quoted sounds like normal polite pablum, and should not be taken as an indication (either way) of her likelihood of coming to UConn.

It would certainly be nice if the tradition of Mater Dei graduates hitting 50% of 3's for UConn could continue for 8 years instead of just 4.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I really hope one Mater Dei girl was able to 'sell' another Mater Dei girl. My gut tells me we are seriously in the mix with KLS. She may decide to take a different path.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It wasn't clear from the article whether Adamec had e-mailed her to ask for her reaction to the visit, or something to that effect. If so, then the reply quoted sounds like normal polite pablum, and should not be taken as an indication (either way) of her likelihood of coming to UConn.

It would certainly be nice if the tradition of Mater Dei graduates hitting 50% of 3's for UConn could continue for 8 years instead of just 4.

So it's not possible to be sincere in an email? Sheesh. She said she had a great visit. I think we all know that alone doesn't mean she'll choose UConn.

Reaction Score
As far as I know, UConn is the only official visit she's taken. I wonder when she'll squeeze the others in. She seems to have a very full schedule.

Maybe KLS will decide not to take her other visits and immediately verbal to UCONN!

Reaction Score
I have a gut feeling she will look to go elsewhere from her sisters and in that case Uconn is as good a place to go as any.

Reaction Score
Geno swung and miss on the other two Samuelson sisters, maybe third time is a charm. As has been mentioned, her sisters have suggested that she should do what's in her heart and her best interests rather than play follow the leader. That alone suggests that she may have a different destination and boy, wouldn't Storrs CT be a pretty nice place for her to matriculate???

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
“It’s totally on her,” Bonnie Samuelson said of her youngest sister’s recruitment prior to the Cardinal’s semifinal game with UConn. “Karlie and I have been very supportive of her. We told her wherever she’s going to be happy and wherever she fits in the best, that’s where she should go.

“We’re going to support her no matter what. That’s what sisters do.”

Not Stanford..........if one reads between the lines.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“It’s totally on her,” Bonnie Samuelson said of her youngest sister’s recruitment prior to the Cardinal’s semifinal game with UConn. “Karlie and I have been very supportive of her. We told her wherever she’s going to be happy and wherever she fits in the best, that’s where she should go.

“We’re going to support her no matter what. That’s what sisters do.”

Not Stanford.....if one reads between the lines.

Dunno, that just sounds like a blanket support statement to me. The kid's taken one visit.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I really hope one Mater Dei girl was able to 'sell' another Mater Dei girl. My gut tells me we are seriously in the mix with KLS. She may decide to take a different path.

From your gut to the ears of the Basketball Gods.

HGN

Reaction Score
Really shouldn't read anything into KLS statement in the article.....She was just being polite. Sounds like to me she is still undecided.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dunno, that just sounds like a blanket support statement to me. The kid's taken one visit.

Of course, the statements on their face don't seem to mean much. I think, however, the poster ochoopsfan is able to place those statements in a different context than the rest of us on this board.

Reaction Score
These articles always seem pretty pointless. I feel like the reporter can follow a template at this point:

So-and-so had a great time at her recent official visit to UConn. She stayed with Player X, and got to meet the entire team and coaching staff.

"I really enjoyed my time at UConn and getting to me everyone," so-and-so said. "I could definite see myself playing there."

So-and-so will be spending the next few months playing with [insert high school or AAU team here]. She has a couple more visits scheduled, before eventually making a decision at some point in the future.

Did I miss anything?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Of course, the statements on their face don't seem to mean much. I think, however, the poster ochoopsfan is able to place those statements in a different context than the rest of us on this board.

Perhaps. But I also think we take young kid's statements and parse them down in a lawyerly fashion, analyzing every word and it's potential significance. Meanwhile, 98% of time, the athletes and their parents aren't media savvy enough (nor find it necessary) to put all that thought into every word.

People spend hours debating the significance of a tweet into which a kid might have put 10 seconds of thought.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Perhaps. But I also think we take young kid's statements and parse them down in a lawyerly fashion, analyzing every word and it's potential significance. Meanwhile, 98% of time, the athletes and their parents aren't media savvy enough (nor find it necessary) to put all that thought into every word.

People spend hours debating the significance of a tweet into which a kid might have put 10 seconds of thought.
Yes ... It is very seldom that you hear a kid after a visit say 'Well, that was a waste of time! The coach is obviously an idiot, the team is nasty, and the campus reminded my of the local junk yard! I don't know why I bothered!' It would be refreshing if they did, but I doubt it will ever happen.:cool:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes ... It is very seldom that you hear a kid after a visit say 'Well, that was a waste of time! The coach is obviously an idiot, the team is nasty, and the campus reminded my of the local junk yard! I don't know why I bothered!' It would be refreshing if they did, but I doubt it will ever happen.:cool:

Not about athletics, but when one of my kids was picking a college among the ones he'd been accepted to, we knew right off the bat which ones he was eliminating after doing an overnight stays. But to the world at large, he was saying he had a good time. His brothers legitimately struggled a little more before choosing, but in one case, before even applying, and after a truly great campus visit, my eldest son decided he wasn't going to apply even though he had a great time, and it was all based on location. Life is strange because in his case, a particular school really wanted him, but he decided on another university, and he is now a prof at the school he rejected.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont pay much attention to what recruits say when the come and leave from their visits. They're going to be polite and respectful no matter what they think. The more they come visit, well I think that shows me there is some real interest. What it comes down to is will they play, start and what do they want which again is, will I play or start at some point and how long do I have to wait. This is tuff. We have 4 guards coming in and Stewie MoJeff Chong and Tuck and will she be heathly. We have KML Banks and Kiah in their last season. So where is the room? The room is we need some height. We need players to replace Kiah KML and KLS looks to be the choice to do that.

So as far as Haley goes I think she saw 4 very good guards coming in and Durr in the wings and yes Duke needs guard so that was a good choice for her, and dont forget Sierra Calhoun is going to Duke. As far as KLS. We need her height and her shooting ability. So yes there is room for her to play and most likely start sooner then later. But what does she want. Her sisters are at Stanford. She also has ND on her list and they're loaded with height and just can't seem to get by UConn. Stewie has 2 more years so having KLS on a wing with Stewie we have a terrific high low and outside threats for Stewies final season. IMO it up to her and whether she wants to play for UConn or follow her sisters.

Remember this. UConn doesnt have to sell themselves. Everybody knows what UConn offers....championships. The question is who's coming in and is there room to play and start and when will those two things happen. My guess is if KLS and Durr come they will be playing alot and starting right after KML Stokes and Stewie gradate. As far as other coaches. They really can't compete with UConns record so they will have to press the issue of their conference, and offer playtime. Lets face for the past two seasons UConn was solid at the starting positions. That wont change much next season especially if Tuck is healthy. However KML and Stokes graduate opening the door for starting positions.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I don't see a lot of parsing and debating of tweets/statements on this board (tho there is a ton of interest in recruiting), but I'm sure that happens on a lot of boards. With respect to Samuelson and the comments by her sister, folks from the west coast have been saying for more than a year that KLS will likely not choose Stanford. That's the context in which her sister's comments are being interpreted by some, particularly those who reside on the west coast and follow this stuff. The Hoopgurlz article published today has quotes from both her HS and AAU coaches saying they believe her choice will come down to UConn and Notre Dame. Again, that's what we've been hearing for more than a year. UConn fans better hope that she meant it when she said she had a "great" visit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see a lot of parsing and debating of tweets/statements on this board (tho there is a ton of interest in recruiting), but I'm sure that happens on a lot of boards. With respect to Samuelson and the comments by her sister, folks from the west coast have been saying for more than a year that KLS will likely not choose Stanford

Really? It happens all the time it seems, buried in deep threads. Happy to point it out in the future (not an I told you so sentiment).

I wasn't arguing whether or not Samuelson was going to Stanford/UCONN, just that those comments were fairly innocuous imo. She could very well be leaning elsewhere.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I dont pay much attention to what recruits say when the come and leave from their visits. They're going to be polite and respectful no matter what they think. The more they come visit, well I think that shows me there is some real interest. What it comes down to is will they play, start and what do they want which again is, will I play or start at some point and how long do I have to wait. This is tuff. We have 4 guards coming in and Stewie MoJeff Chong and Tuck and will she be heathly. We have KML Banks and Kiah in their last season. So where is the room? The room is we need some height. We need players to replace Kiah KML and KLS looks to be the choice to do that.

So as far as Haley goes I think she saw 4 very good guards coming in and Durr in the wings and yes Duke needs guard so that was a good choice for her, and dont forget Sierra Calhoun is going to Duke. As far as KLS. We need her height and her shooting ability. So yes there is room for her to play and most likely start sooner then later. But what does she want. Her sisters are at Stanford. She also has ND on her list and they're loaded with height and just can't seem to get by UConn. Stewie has 2 more years so having KLS on a wing with Stewie we have a terrific high low and outside threats for Stewies final season. IMO it up to her and whether she wants to play for UConn or follow her sisters.

Remember this. UConn doesnt have to sell themselves. Everybody knows what UConn offers....championships. The question is who's coming in and is there room to play and start and when will those two things happen. My guess is if KLS and Durr come they will be playing alot and starting right after KML Stokes and Stewie gradate. As far as other coaches. They really can't compete with UConns record so they will have to press the issue of their conference, and offer playtime. Lets face for the past two seasons UConn was solid at the starting positions. That wont change much next season especially if Tuck is healthy. However KML and Stokes graduate opening the door for starting positions.
That was one of your more coherent posts, Tony! ;) LOL. Kidding. But seriously good stuff!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Really? It happens all the time it seems, buried in deep threads. Happy to point it out in the future (not an I told you so sentiment).

I wasn't arguing whether or not Samuelson was going to Stanford/UCONN, just that those comments were fairly innocuous imo.

I didn't say it never happens, but it doesn't happen a lot on this board. I honestly think the parsing of tweets happens more on the men's board then here, though I'm not saying this board isn't equally obsessed with recruiting.

Some seemingly innocuous statements are less so when placed in a certain context. I was merely explaining why ochoopsfan thinks the comments are less innocuous than you think they are. I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just saying your opinion carries less weight on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom